*[EDIT]* Multiple reports Browns actively shopping Mayfield pg. 29/30 - Ravens / Browns in QB contract pickle

Inigo Montoya

Cleveland should let Baker go. Maybe the worst position to be in in the NFL is paying an average to below average QB elite QB money and that's the position Baker will put them in.

Lamar is at worst a top 10ish QB and at best one of the very best in the league. Baltimore will be happy to give him elite QB money.

It's only really a pickle if these teams screw up what should be pretty easy decisions.

Edited by DCOrange

13 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Mayfield looked awful last night but the O play caller wasn't helping much . They needed to run more with Chubb and not have Mayfield throw so much. As it is , I haven't been impressed with his passing but the shoulder injury makes it worse.

To the OP's questions, Ravens for sure will extend Jackson. Browns should push the decision to the following off-season and see what Mayfield can do when fully healthh

I think his injury has impacted him but there were throws to be made last night where he just wasn’t seeing the field. He looked lost. I think they will bring in competition for him this season in some form or fashion. Potentially draft a guy like Sam Howell. Or sign Trubisky (who is from Cleveland). Mayfield seems to thrive when his back is against the wall. That said he may prefer a fresh start. He was not drafted by this regime and I don’t think they are all that invested in his success.  I could see him traded somewhere like Houston. Similar to the Darnold trade last year. The browns also really need a #1 WR any better TEs to get the passing game out of the gutter. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally? If I am the Ravens I am paying Lamar Jackson. He is not a great passer, and likely never will be a great passer, but he is just such a dynamic playmaker and they win games when he is on the field that is undeniable. 

Baker is tougher. I think I'd let it play out maybe even franchise tag him a year after his rookie deal. He has been battling through a shoulder injury all season this season and I don't want to make a rash decision based on that, but he was a borderline pay or let go decision anyway for me. The issue for Cleveland might be I don't see them bottoming out any time soon to be in position to draft another guy in the top 10. They might be in purgatory somewhat. 

The question is, what does the QB Class in 2023 look like? Is next year the year to bottom out and get a high draft pick?

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think his injury has impacted him but there were throws to be made last night where he just wasn’t seeing the field. He looked lost. I think they will bring in competition for him this season in some form or fashion. Potentially draft a guy like Sam Howell. Or sign Trubisky (who is from Cleveland). Mayfield seems to thrive when his back is against the wall. That said he may prefer a fresh start. He was not drafted by this regime and I don’t think they are all that invested in his success.  I could see him traded somewhere like Houston. Similar to the Darnold trade last year. The browns also really need a #1 WR any better TEs to get the passing game out of the gutter. 

Would love to see what Sean Peyton could do with Baker.  Same height as Brees.

I think Baker is toast in Cleveland. They may start him next year...but I don't believe he gets that big payday. Guy has played injured all year and is trotted out in a pretty meaningless game. He's getting sacked left and right. And you keep playing him? Not what you may expect to see if a team values a QB long term. They are paying Keenum well and right now isn't worse than Mayfield by much. 

Jackson is a hard case. He is just a special athlete. With that MVP he makes a case to get a contract right at or around Allen's. Not sure I would pay that for him. Huntley and Josh Johnson both played well when called upon. Between the cap savings and the incredibly bonkers amount of players/picks trading Lamar would likely bring...would be a great chance to reshape that whole roster...and it really needs it. 

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Definitely could happen that way.  With the cap expected to go up $20 - 30 million dollars in 2023, and likely as much if not more the following year, the Ravens and Browns might wait themselves into a $50 -55 million a year contract.  The Cowboys dragged their feet with Dak and lost that roll of the dice.  The Ravens and Browns might do the same.

You are right, the price could get worse but if you are sure it might be the best way. There is risk any way you cut it...the Bills took risk off of a 1 year performance.  

• Like (+1) 1

Mayfield still has excellent arm strength and decent mobility.  Where he was drafted and his commercials plus his mouth definitely make people pile on.  Might be time for a split in Cleveland but a team could certainly do worse and i could see him being a Tannehill type going forward.  His mouth and public persona certainly complicate things though.  

Baker has the 5th year option and i expect Cleveland to just have him play on it.  I don't think they can get out of it as he won't pass a physical by that deadline.  I think its a spot where they could look for some other players around the league like Trubiskey, Mariota, or Winston.  The team is too talented to not have a serious backup plan.  

47 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Folks here underrate Jackson.  It’s not his fault he was put in the Pro Bowl but the forever “chip on shoulder” Bills’ fans seem to hold it against him.  They love him in Baltimore, he won an MVP already and their entire offense is designed around him.  He’s definitely getting paid.

That said, it’s pretty amazing that Allen is the only QB from that heralded class who will be in the playoffs this year.  Amazing how everything transpired.

This appears to be very true.  Jackson in ways transcends the Sport.

Baltimore loves him.  His teammates love him.  The media, fans…

shoot, I’m not sure I see opposing defenders after a game give a QB more praise and attention at mid field (mind you after he beats them) then opponents give to Lamar Jackson.

Hes the face of the franchise and also (after DeShaun Watson issues) the main face for young black QBs in the league.

He is even in the Madden Documentary.

then you have his MVP and his winning %

Baltimore isn’t letting him go anywhere.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

The question is, what does the QB Class in 2023 look like? Is next year the year to bottom out and get a high draft pick?

There is Bryce Young but I am not a big scouter in advance so not sure beyond that. It can't be worse than this year's though.

If I'm Cleveland, I jump into the Watson sweepstakes if he becomes available.   If not, I stick with Baker in a prove-it year.  

If I'm Baltimore.. Lamar has earned a big contract, but I wouldn't give him it.  I don't think they can be anything more than a good regular season team with him.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally? If I am the Ravens I am paying Lamar Jackson. He is not a great passer, and likely never will be a great passer, but he is just such a dynamic playmaker and they win games when he is on the field that is undeniable. 

Baker is tougher. I think I'd let it play out maybe even franchise tag him a year after his rookie deal. He has been battling through a shoulder injury all season this season and I don't want to make a rash decision based on that, but he was a borderline pay or let go decision anyway for me. The issue for Cleveland might be I don't see them bottoming out any time soon to be in position to draft another guy in the top 10. They might be in purgatory somewhat. 

Yep, Cleveland is stuck in QB purgatory right now, you built too good of a team to fail hard enough to get a good pick, but you don’t have the guy that can get you over the hump.  They are set up for years of 9-8, with the occasional glimmer of hope, maybe pulling off the 12 wins on a years when their NFC schedule is putrid and they will keep trying to find the one piece to get them over the hump.  Meanwhile, Cincy has a core that’s going to destroy them for years.   This is the problem with not having the right QB, we had it here for years, just good enough to never tank, never good enough to actually contend.  Baker is (at least the current version of him) the equivalent of a slightly stronger armed Fitzpatrick.  That’s to say, there are games where he’s great, but those costly mistakes when it comes to crunch time will kill you.  Look at Fitz with the Jets, as front runners he’d bury you, but there’s not a QB in the league you would rather face than Fitz and Now Baker late in the game, when they had to make it happen.

Jackson is essentially a modern Vick with less of an arm.  I think he also puts you in purgatory, but he also gives you chances that nobody else can.  I wouldn’t want him as my franchise, but once you have him, it’s next to impossible to let it go.  I could see him finding lightning in a bottle and winning a SB, but I really doubt it.  The D will have to be exceptional and the opponents will have to have the right weakness’s and a LOT will have to bounce their way for it to happen.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont see it as a pickle.   Beyond stats Lamar is 37-12 as a starter, and needs to be re-signed. (made sure to add the space for my boy @Freddie's Dead) Baker is 29-30 and should be let go. 

You may be correct but Lamar's early career win/loss record may skew the story a bit.  Baltimore won't let Lamar walk but at some time down the road they may bring in someone to compete for the starting job. 

Baker has not been consistent enough.  They may be forced to hang with him until they can acquire enough draft capital to get another guy.  Since there is a lack of good QB candidates in the 2022 draft class, they may have to structure their plans for the 2023 draft.  If we see Cleveland moving back in the draft and accumulating picks for 2023, we should know that they are done with Baker.

21 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yep, Cleveland is stuck in QB purgatory right now, you built too good of a team to fail hard enough to get a good pick, but you don’t have the guy that can get you over the hump.  They are set up for years of 9-8, with the occasional glimmer of hope, maybe pulling off the 12 wins on a years when their NFC schedule is putrid and they will keep trying to find the one piece to get them over the hump.  Meanwhile, Cincy has a core that’s going to destroy them for years.   This is the problem with not having the right QB, we had it here for years, just good enough to never tank, never good enough to actually contend.  Baker is (at least the current version of him) the equivalent of a slightly stronger armed Fitzpatrick.  That’s to say, there are games where he’s great, but those costly mistakes when it comes to crunch time will kill you.  Look at Fitz with the Jets, as front runners he’d bury you, but there’s not a QB in the league you would rather face than Fitz and Now Baker late in the game, when they had to make it happen.

Jackson is essentially a modern Vick with less of an arm.  I think he also puts you in purgatory, but he also gives you chances that nobody else can.  I wouldn’t want him as my franchise, but once you have him, it’s next to impossible to let it go.  I could see him finding lightning in a bottle and winning a SB, but I really doubt it.  The D will have to be exceptional and the opponents will have to have the right weakness’s and a LOT will have to bounce their way for it to happen.

If Jackson were to catch that lightning and get 1 Super Bowl and then just be a realt good regular season QB who loses in the playoffs…

How much different would that make him than Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees?  And a head of guys like Philip Rivers with what they were able to accomplish in their careers?

22 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I think Lamar can find lightening in a bottle and win a Superbowl he has a great Head Coach and a great GM who will build and field competitive teams year after year. I don't think he can win multiple. That is the difference between a QB like him and the elite passers. 

• Agree 1

Jackson and Mayfield both had their 5th year options picked up for the 22-23 season, and could be franchise tagged for 23-24. Neither guy is going anywhere this offseason. 

My thoughts on contract extensions....

Mayfield - no chance he's extended before playing out his 5th year option. Through his first 4 seasons the best he's played is at a Ryan Tannehill level - a competent game manager that can succeed on a strong team. His biggest issue is that his 4th year has been his worst season. I can't see how the Browns can extend him when he has a low ceiling and is on a negative trajectory. 

Jackson - small chance he's extended before playing out his 5th year option. He is an exceptional athlete and fully deserved his MVP award (the 2021 pro bowl is another story). His biggest issue is, as a pure passing QB, he's pretty bad. Jackson has had almost no success against quality teams (the playoff record and stats speak for themselves). As a Ravens fan I'd be concerned that the team looks pretty much the same with Tyler Huntley (who?) at QB.

Ultimately I think Jackson signs a massive contract in Baltimore.....with very little $$ guaranteed and that gives the team multiple outs. 

I think Baker ends up walking away from Cleveland and bouncing around the league as an overpaid average-ish starter. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.