Is there a reason Josh didnt feel like taking checkdowns yesterday?

Ramza86

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

That’s entirely possible he basically drove at will on the falcons till the Jarrett tipped pass on the 3rd drive in the red zone…what’s funny about that play is if you look behind Jarrett if he doesn’t tip it there’s two bills waiting to catch it 

Yep felt like bad luck to me after rewatching the game…that second pick Beasley got jammed and he just gave up on the play…third pick gabe was wide open and it also got tipped.  Usually you see 2-3 tipped balls a game that harmlessly fall to the turf but the falcons intercepted every single one this time 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Atlanta seemed to concentrate on blanketing Knox and Beasley and encouraged Allen to push the ball down the field. If so, the Falcons possibly thought it was better to risk the intermediate and long plays in that weather. Combined with Allen's off-day, it appeared to work. 

Do wonder if the weather caused the off day??

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yep felt like bad luck to me after rewatching the game…that second pick Beasley got jammed and he just gave up on the play…third pick gabe was wide open and it also got tipped.  Usually you see 2-3 tipped balls a game that harmlessly fall to the turf but the falcons intercepted every single one this time 

I didn’t like Beasley getting jammed that far downfield. At ALL. But he should not quit on the play, which he appeared to do as I watched it. 

Is it just me, or is Josh throwing even harder? I was surprised by some of those catches, TBH. I know their pros, and all that, but on a cold day that makes it tough. Some of those balls, especially early, were sailing. He hit some tiny windows, I’ll admit, but some could have used a little less heat, it seemed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The bomb to Diggs. Knox was wide open for a 20-yard gain.

yep

and interceptions are game changers

You just can't have that garbage when Josh does not NEED to make a play

He was hot rodding the ball early. and did it a few times. Ball was cold and hard and he throws harder than most any QB i have seen :) Love ya Josh But give the WRs etc a chance
But you have to adjust and let the game come to  you. Josh is still a work in progress for sure🙂

39 minutes ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I wish we had that pass catching/blocking full back again this offensive would be unstoppable.

sure

If Josh would check down   LOL

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

I didn’t like Beasley getting jammed that far downfield. At ALL. But he should not quit on the play, which he appeared to do as I watched it. 

Is it just me, or is Josh throwing even harder? I was surprised by some of those catches, TBH. I know their pros, and all that, but on a cold day that makes it tough. Some of those balls, especially early, were sailing. He hit some tiny windows, I’ll admit, but some could have used a little less heat, it seemed. 

Yea some of those mid length throws he really hammered in there…sometimes it looks unnecessary from the broadcast angle but it really isn’t because dbs are trying to bait him into the throw but he has the arm strength to fit it in anyway 

35 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Do wonder if the weather caused the off day??

Watching it again I don’t really think so…a lot of it was good coverage/drops completion percentage wise.  The three picks were a bit unlucky.  It’s kind of incredible how many clutch third down plays we’ve picked up the last few weeks though so he was fantastic when it really mattered 

7 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

yep

and interceptions are game changers

I don't blame Allen for a single one of the interceptions.

INT 1 - Ball was tipped.

INT 2 - Allen threw it to a spot, but Beasley didn't get to it because he was interfered with.

INT 3 - Ball was tipped.

Not a single one of those interceptions were bad throws. 

If one chooses, they can nitpick his decision making to throw *at all* on the first INT. But I will not. He has scored or gotten first downs by making that exact type of throw on so many occasions, that I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Just now, Einstein said:

INT 1 - Ball was tipped.

INT 2 - Allen threw it to a spot, but Beasley didn't get to it because he was interfered with.

INT 3 - Ball was tipped.

If one chooses, they can nitpick his decision making to throw *at all* on the first INT. But I will not. He has scored or gotten first downs by making that exact type of throw on so many occasions, that I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Not even if it's an ugly baby?

On 1/3/2022 at 6:04 PM, Einstein said:

INT 1 - Ball was tipped.

INT 3 - Ball was tipped.

I have to argue a tad

Those throw seemed forced to me. 

The balls were not being caught early on by his best receivers.
Time to reset his thinking and account for the weather, consider his receiver's might be struggling a bit out there.

Vere notice Josh doesn't really lead his WRs with the ball ?

Throw and get down or get out

Maybe it's partially Daboll.

But I think Josh expects a bit too much sometimes and would do well to take a moment to consider the situation and whether he needs to make that throw.
 respect your points for sure :)

On 1/3/2022 at 6:04 PM, Einstein said:

INT 1 - Ball was tipped.

INT 3 - Ball was tipped.

We all love Josh but get real. Tips happen for a reason.  Pass too flat, didn't see the defender, misjudged the arc, whatever. Nobody's perfect and he was throwing heat on most passes. It happens. He was off a day. So what, we won running.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:18 AM, Ramza86 said:

I just got the vibe that he felt his competition wasnt worthy of him having to play dink and dunk. 

He wanted to go out there and crush the Falcons with his arm.

I think im ok with that...but id rather him take the checkdown a couple times a drive to help open that stuff up down the field.

If you watched the first few series, they moved the ball really well until that INT.  That kind of flipped the game.  At worst Buffalo goes up 17-2.  At best in 21-2.

The second INT was just a miscommunication at an in opportune time.  Also a great play by Terrell.  The third was bad luck off a tipped pass.

One thing Atlanta did well was take away Dawson Knox.  It seemed to throw the offense off a little.

I think if they needed to, the Bills could have passed the ball.  They just saw an opportunity in the run game and took advantage.   That’s why I don’t believe this was truly Josh’s worst outing despite his bad numbers 

Edited by JohnNord

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I have to argue a tad

Those throw seemed forced to me. 

The balls were not being caught early on by his best receivers.
Time to reset his thinking and account for the weather, consider his receiver's might be struggling a bit out there.

Vere notice Josh doesn't really lead his WRs with the ball ?

Throw and get down or get out

Maybe it's partially Daboll.

But I think Josh expects a bit too much sometimes and would do well to take a moment to consider the situation and whether he needs to make that throw.
 respect your points for sure :)

Whilst I agree with you, I think you need to add a couple of words to the penultimate sentence - he expects a bit too much from himself. Especially at home, it’s almost like he wants to put a show on for the fans and perhaps prove he’s worth that contract but it results in a hyped up Josh sometimes over-doing it with those efforts.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:51 AM, zow2 said:

It's going to be a different story when they play teams in the playoffs that can run the ball and play really tough D.  The games will be close and Allen will need every blade of grass that the opponent makes available..  Can't be overreaching for plays just for the sake of pushing the ball deep.

I think that’s the bottom line.  I’ve heard every reason you can imagine; kind of absurd to think a team is going to allow deep throws , esp since the wind was not a factor at 8 mph; one podcast said his GF and he had a large contingent of family present and she was posting quite a bit about them being there, suggesting he was playing to “ impress”, lol ; another video podcast “ content provider” ( guess that makes them experts compared to us non - content providers) said it was just bad luck, a former Bills player said that!  ( if it’s just luck then I guess scheme, practice , talent , are irrelevant).  

It just proves it’s multi factorial, and there is no one definitive cause or solution !   Josh simply had a bad game, was making decisions that AT TIMES WERE BAD, and heaven forbid, but it’s possible the professional Falcons made some good plays and made some hits resulting in turnovers!  Josh has been amazing the majority of the year and The Bills only go as far as his talent and play can take them , because RIGHT NOW there are NO OTHER SUPERSTARS on this team capable of taking over a game at positions like RB, DB, DE, DT, TE, OR WR based on stats compared across the league other than Josh ( Diggs is very good but his career year was last year so far and there are several receivers with more catches , tds, yards).    Compare  to the 90’s roster with several Hof players ( and perhaps more deserving to be) , a HOF COACH, HOF GM, and it’s easy to see the team results are likely to fluctuate, and the NFL now with a salary cap and free agency is designed to be that way.

Josh is the driving force and as one NFL expert has said , the Bills are THE MOST QB CENTRIC TEAM in the NFL. So at this point , if Josh has more 3 pick games ( luck, whatever) , stats show you are most likely to lose those games ( assuming a t-o deficit) regardless of the reason. He didn’t self correct as another posted ;   the play calling and success of the running game put the passing game on hold , and we had 4 rushing tds on Sunday.  Josh was a good part of that running game, and deserves credit for that.  However, based on two seasons , if the ball was not handed to motor with other running plays, we might have had more of the first half where we went in losing 15-14!    

It just proves, it’s better to be a two dimensional team, not necessarily balanced , but able to adapt and change if needed. That’s the take away message from that game.   Josh should learn from that game, it’s possible to win trusting others to help   He has had prior games where he forced things, hero ball in a negative way came out.     It’s 4 almost 5 years as a pro now so it’s fair to expect that Type of forced play to really tail off. Even the GOAT , BRADY, does accept help with a running game and is known for taking what the d gives. We got away with. 3 int , one fumble, the d scoring against us.  I would bet that we lose similar type games in the future and I hope the team , and Josh, clean that up as we enter the lose and go home time of the year.  Time for players and staff to be at their top form with 5 years together. It’s a result based league, getting into the playoffs 4/5 years is a great achievement, and it’s time to hope for the final step. If you don’t get deeper into the playoffs after 5 years of staff continuity, it’s a failed year and it might be good with change at some jobs like, OC/dc etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/3/2022 at 5:20 PM, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

When a guy jams your receiver ( called or not) , when a guy jumps up and tips your qbs pass that is not luck. It’s skills they practice. I bet you didn’t call groots deflected pass and int against the Chiefs “ luck” but probably praised him for making a good play ! ( which it was , it it’s luck then practice , skill mean nothing , right , by definition?)   Just saying , you might be biased!  Lol!  Josh had a bad game passing ; threw balls that were tipped while being 6’5” suggesting he needs work in that area perhaps?  He threw balls in cold weather that were so hard at times Diggs was seen shaking his hands ( but the pass in between two defenders he completed needed that type of heat !)   The ball deflected in the red zone / end zone was just a terrible decision.  It took possible points away and he has lost points several times getting sacks at bad times by his own admission ( “ I can’t do that”) !  

just saying, 4 years in its time to cut those mistakes he repeatedly says post game he can’t do !  When a type of error keeps recurring, that’s a pattern , and luck does not come in patterns!  Lol!     Love the guy and his passion. Doesn’t mean he is beyond criticism and that is unfair to expect less ints ( esp against a terrible team like the Falcons).   Practice doesn’t make you perfect , perfect practice makes you perfect ! ( Marv Levy)   Nothing in there about luck making you better !  Josh did not throw the ball well often that game.   Time to cut the mistakes or the Bills will go home soon. If they are depending on good luck to advance,,,,,well,,,,,good luck ! 

Edited by DrPJax

8 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

I wouldnt say the check downs were even there against Atlanta. Seemed they zoned their linebackers underneath. That is why there were so many deflections and why our running game looked so good. 

Yes. And for once this season, Buffalo adjusted to the look we were getting, switched to power running, and dominated.

To win 29-15 while turning it over 4 times, you gotta kick ### on both sides of the ball.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.