Is there a reason Josh didnt feel like taking checkdowns yesterday?

Ramza86

I just got the vibe that he felt his competition wasnt worthy of him having to play dink and dunk. 

He wanted to go out there and crush the Falcons with his arm.

I think im ok with that...but id rather him take the checkdown a couple times a drive to help open that stuff up down the field.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Atlanta seemed to concentrate on blanketing Knox and Beasley and encouraged Allen to push the ball down the field. If so, the Falcons possibly thought it was better to risk the intermediate and long plays in that weather. Combined with Allen's off-day, it appeared to work. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Atlanta seemed to concentrate on blanketing Knox and Beasley and encouraged Allen to push the ball down the field. If so, the Falcons possibly thought it was better to risk the intermediate and long plays in that weather. Combined with Allen's off-day, it appeared to work. 

Great Name and Pic btw lol

26 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I just got the vibe that he felt his competition wasnt worthy of him having to play dink and dunk. 

I think im ok with that...but id rather him take the checkdown a couple times a drive to help open that stuff up down the field.

That’s entirely possible he basically drove at will on the falcons till the Jarrett tipped pass on the 3rd drive in the red zone…what’s funny about that play is if you look behind Jarrett if he doesn’t tip it there’s two bills waiting to catch it 

He seemed to be pressing a little bit in the 2nd QTR and things snowballed on him.  But end of the day your QB throws 3 picks and still win by 14 that is all that needs to be said about how he can adjust and still take control of games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's going to be a different story when they play teams in the playoffs that can run the ball and play really tough D.  The games will be close and Allen will need every blade of grass that the opponent makes available..  Can't be overreaching for plays just for the sake of pushing the ball deep.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Despite the win yesterday there should definitely be concerns with Allen having one of the worse games of his career at home against a lessor team after putting together such a dominant performance the week before.

It seems like he still tries to hard to play hero ball at times and that has been a big part of why this team has been so inconsistent this year. I also worry about him getting hurt or turning the ball over every time he takes off and there were a few plays yesterday that could have been a disaster with the type of hits he absorbed.

Bottom line there is zero chance this team will advance far in the playoffs unless he plays smarter and still would like less running, at least the designed run stuff.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

2 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Do you have All 22?

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Despite the win yesterday there should definitely be concerns with Allen having one of the worse games of his career at home against a lessor team after putting together such a dominant performance the week before.

It seems like he still tries to hard to play hero ball at times and that has been a big part of why this team has been so inconsistent this year. I also worry about him getting hurt or turning the ball over every time he takes off and there were a few plays yesterday that could have been a disaster with the type of hits he absorbed.

Bottom line there is zero chance this team will advance far in the playoffs unless he plays smarter and still would like less running, at least the designed run stuff.

Zero chance huh?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

He should have checked down to Knox instead of throwing the home-run ball to Diggs.

And Diggs should have checked down to Josh on the razzle-dazzle play. 🙂

That throw to diggs was there.  I don’t blame him one bit for that one.  DB made a nice play.  It happens. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

It did work and forced us to go all run. Anytime you have enough weather (wind, snow, rain) to be an issue,  Dabol has to insist on Josh scaling it back.  I don't care who the opponent is.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

He should have checked down to Knox instead of throwing the home-run ball to Diggs.

And Diggs should have checked down to Josh on the razzle-dazzle play. 🙂

The first time he tried to check down to Knox he reacted like Josh threw a grenade. Didn’t expect it at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

That throw to diggs was there.  I don’t blame him one bit for that one.  DB made a nice play.  It happens. 

Josh does try to force more balls to Diggs than the other guys. Even when Diggs is completely covered. Understandable because he’s the #1 and they’re buds and all but Diggs isn’t the kind of guy who’s open when he’s covered like a Hopkins. Most Allen throws that result in Bad Things, are throw at Diggs, it feels like.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.