Is there a reason Josh didnt feel like taking checkdowns yesterday?

Ramza86

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He kept going downfield because the WRs were getting separation in the slippery conditions and were open.

The problem was a few tipped balls that turned into INTs (Is Josh too short? Put in Flutie?).

Probably true on the separation. I don’t think the tipped balls were a result of D linemen being too close to Josh, a la Flutie. Maybe the throws were a little too flat, or just bad luck. The one in the red zone was a bad decision. 

3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Atlanta seemed to concentrate on blanketing Knox and Beasley and encouraged Allen to push the ball down the field. If so, the Falcons possibly thought it was better to risk the intermediate and long plays in that weather. Combined with Allen's off-day, it appeared to work. 

Knox was wide open on like 70% of the plays yesterday. Josh just didn’t want to bother with 5-yard checkdowns. I think he was looking to just hit home runs for some reason. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Zero completions to RBs is puzzling on a day like yesterday, especially with how effective that was against NE…hopefully they go back to it…

there was one i believe in the 1st INT drive where he looked left to a wide open 26 in the flat, pulled the ball down, rolled right , scrambled and threw for an incomplete or 2 yard gain. Motor would have had 15 yards easy. 

he was not dinking and dunking yesterday. maybe lulling playoff opponents to sleep  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

0 concern.  Daboll played into the second quarter mishaps.  No reason for a double reverse pass when inside or outside zone would have worked.  They got a little too loose there imo.  That game imo should remind Allen that some passes dont need to be made.  The first pick should have ended up in row 3.  Other 2 happen.  Cole has not been on the field alot the last few weeks it showed on that pass.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I think you're spot on, exactly right. In situations like this, he feels like he should be able to be himself and be aggressive. It didn't work yesterday. He should always respect the opponent and take what is there.

Can you point to the times when you felt he should have checked down? 

I think the bigger problem was not throwing based on the conditions. Josh would've had at least 5 more completions if he'd thrown the ball with 80% velocity instead of 110%. He was firing rockets at guys who were wide open & it didn't need it to be that hard. In those conditions, bullet passes are hard to hang onto. And the long one to Knox, if he puts some air under that instead of a 40-yard line drive, that's a big play.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

0 concern.  Daboll played into the second quarter mishaps.  No reason for a double reverse pass when inside or outside zone would have worked.  They got a little too loose there imo.  That game imo should remind Allen that some passes dont need to be made.  The first pick should have ended up in row 3.  Other 2 happen.  Cole has not been on the field alot the last few weeks it showed on that pass.

I feel like a lot of the play calls were based on the idea of "let's see if we catch a break and a defender slips and falls". Which is fine. I get it.

When push came to shove and we needed real drives to put the game away, the boys buckled down and Daboll, Josh, and Singletary came through for two long, 12 play, 6-7min, mostly running, drives for TDs in the second half.

4 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Atlanta seemed to concentrate on blanketing Knox and Beasley and encouraged Allen to push the ball down the field. If so, the Falcons possibly thought it was better to risk the intermediate and long plays in that weather. Combined with Allen's off-day, it appeared to work. 

You bring up the interesting topic of weather, which was not really discussed very much during the game.

Was the wind bad?  The last weather report I saw prior to the game called for steady 15MPH wind gusts.

And then, very early in the game, Matt Ryan through up a long pass and the wind completely knocked the ball down, to the point of stopping its forward progress...and that would have been going into the wind (scoreboard end).

I think the weather may have had more impact on the game than people are talking about, but I wasn't in the stadium.

1 hour ago, 947 said:

I think the bigger problem was not throwing based on the conditions. Josh would've had at least 5 more completions if he'd thrown the ball with 80% velocity instead of 110%. He was firing rockets at guys who were wide open & it didn't need it to be that hard. In those conditions, bullet passes are hard to hang onto. And the long one to Knox, if he puts some air under that instead of a 40-yard line drive, that's a big play.

It's almost as if Josh was fighting against different conditions - he thought the wind was stronger than it was so put extra weight on the ball?

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He kept going downfield because the WRs were getting separation in the slippery conditions and were open.

The problem was a few tipped balls that turned into INTs (Is Josh too short? Put in Flutie?).

NFW, Johnson is better🤣

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

The bomb to Diggs. Knox was wide open for a 20-yard gain.

Thanks for pointing one out. Any others?

He did have Knox for a 2 yard pass that likely would have turned into a 6-8 yard gain. There were 2 Falcon defenders 8 yards from Knox (waiting at the 1st down line).

30 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

The bomb to Diggs was a near catch if Diggs catches it though wasn't it? On 1st down, why not? Not a crazy throw (for Allen anyway)

I agree.

Diggs had the CB beat and I am more than okay with Allen taking that shot. A better pass and that is a touchdown. As it is, Diggs still got his hands on it.

diggs1-min.png

Just now, Mat68 said:

Disagree.  Diggs in the endzone 1 on 1.  Is a shot worth taking.

I'm not necessarily saying it was the wrong call -- you have to throw it down the field on occasion. But Diggs was covered and Knox was wide open and would have gotten the first down. That's all I'm saying. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.