Why Cole or Isaiah?

Buffalo Barbarian

I think after Cole being so vocal this year and bringing more guys with him like Davis, this staff will work to reward somebody like McKenzie who got his shot early in camp, and balled when Beasley bailed on his teammates. 

People have been ripping on Sanders all year. Rightfully so. But as long as your WR2 and WR3 are at risk of missing 10 days minimum at a time, you have to keep bringing in guys like Sanders to mitigate the risks. It paid off today. 

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

So sick of fans saying we should get rid of Beasley and keep McKenzie.

Here is an idea , keep them both and play them at the same time on some plays.

Why get rid of a good player when you can get rid of the worst player on the team, when the offseason comes.

And this goes for all positions.

Cole and McKenzie play different positions.  Cole plays inside and pariah; McKenzie plays outside and distraction.

• Shocked 1
  • Disagree 2

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Get rid of somebody else, you dont get rid of a pretty good player because another is better after the catch. Beasley has come up big for us and gotten many first downs. Id get rid of Stevenson before Beasley.

Yawn

Beasley still has reliable hands and gets separation in zone. 

but he’s lost a step or two, doesn’t separate consistently in man, has become a team nuisance, and costs about 5x as much as mckittrick. NFL cap is a zero sum game. You can’t have everything you want. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

So sick of fans saying we should get rid of Beasley and keep McKenzie.

Here is an idea , keep them both and play them at the same time on some plays.

Why get rid of a good player when you can get rid of the worst player on the team, when the offseason comes.

And this goes for all positions.

Why? Because he's getting old, beat up, and has been largely ineffective this season. Not to mention his being fined 6 digits for habitually not following league rules (which could have contributed to other issues with this team) and continues to be a giant distraction, going out of his way to publicly feed the media fodder. When we needed him the most, his "personal choice" made him unavailable to us.

But, MOST importantly, as opposed to this season where it would cost us more to cut him than keep him, we would save $6.1 million dollars in cap space by releasing him next season.

When you need a lot of help at other positions and guys need to be cut to make cap space - he seems a no brainer. Especially when you're getting the production we're getting out of Diggs and Davis and Sanders and McKenzie are both free agents.

Of which, you can pay both (or their replacements) less than that $6.1 million and have more left over for other positions that are less stacked. Would you rather have Cole Beasley or McKenzie and Sanders plus more?

Again, no brainer.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I don't have a particular desire to be rid of Beasley, but the reality is he's an older player, and the older he gets the more unfavorable the cost - benefit ratio becomes, unless he's willing to accept a very team friendly deal the next time around.  That means a shorter contract for fewer dollars, and less money tied up in bonuses.  

14 minutes ago, 716er said:

33 year old back-up slot receiver ain't worth a $7.6 million cap hit.

You also have to assume that a small receiver might start breaking down very quickly at 33 years old. I’ve loved what Beasley has done with us, but he’s not a guy I envision playing into his late 30’s. Paying him could be a mistake based solely on that. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know one thing. Isaiah McKenzie better never leave the field again when healthy.

He’s a beast and we finally unleashed the kid today.

Playmaker. Lightning in a bottle. Speed. He’s a serious weapon and HAS to be on the field from Now on. No excuses…looking at you McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Bill Walsh used to say you’d rather release a guy a year too early vs. a year too late.  May be applicable to Beasley.

I think that may be the scenario this off season. McKenzies stock is rising. Beasley is declining. Then consider the off the field stuff… 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Due to Beasley’s age (and cap constraints), I think you’ve got to move on after the season and sign McKenzie to a multi-year deal.  

Very different players, but both play the same position.  

I love Cole, and what he’s meant to this team, and Josh Allen’s development.. but McKenzie is younger and has some serious dynamic ability in our offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.