Rushing yards per attempt leaders - Allen and Singletary in top 10

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, Blainorama5 said:

Interesting.  And surprising.  But the relatively low attempts kinda skews that list.

when a run is a surprise it’s much easier to get a good average than when you are pounding it into stacked boxes. 

a guy like Jonathan Taylor is the really impressive one there. You wouldn’t expect singletary to hold that average with that usage.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

when a run is a surprise it’s much easier to get a good average than when you are pounding it into stacked boxes. 

a guy like Jonathan Taylor is the really impressive one there. You wouldn’t expect singletary to hold that average with that usage.

Exactly.

Defenses think pass first when defending the Bills.  They're not worried about Motor.  They're worried about Allen, Diggs, Beas, etc.  They scheme accordingly.

16 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

This

Give Singletary a shot as the lead back.  Let Brieda and Moss spell him.  15 to 20 carries a game is enough to make the defense respect it.  He has a way of avoiding shots, I think he can handle it. 

25 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Exactly.

Defenses think pass first when defending the Bills.  They're not worried about Motor.  They're worried about Allen, Diggs, Beas, etc.  They scheme accordingly.

Motor has had a good average since his rookie year.  

• Like (+1) 2

Chubb has 56 more carries and over 400 yards more then Singletary - he does this vs 7 and 8 man fronts constantly.  

So I don't know what this ypc means except that we often call run plays at the right time.  When we need it tho, when the other team knows it's probably coming can we consistently run the ball?  

But the last 3-4 (minus NE) games have been a bit of a confidence booster.  Finally making the running game exclusively Motor (the bad game v NE, we dressed Moss), maybe we're ready to turn the corner with it.  Since New Orleans Singletary has been running like his career is on the line.  

We have to have it this week.  

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Chubb has 56 more carries and over 400 yards more then Singletary - he does this vs 7 and 8 man fronts constantly.  

So I don't know what this ypc means except that we often call run plays at the right time.  When we need it tho, when the other team knows it's probably coming can we consistently run the ball?  

But the last 3-4 (minus NE) games have been a bit of a confidence booster.  Finally making the running game exclusively Motor (the bad game v NE, we dressed Moss), maybe we're ready to turn the corner with it.  Since New Orleans Singletary has been running like his career is on the line.  

I think it's more important to run the ball when the defense thinks it's coming because it setups up the play action pass than it is to run it just for the sake of running it. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

I am actually a fan of Singletary.  When he has any room to run, he gets great production.

He's just not that guy who can create an opening when there's not one and with our offensive line....

I honestly think he would be a 1,200 yard back in Cleveland with that line.  He's going to be near a thousand with splitting carries for the majority of the season.

I think he needs to be a 15-18 carry a game guy.  He's more of a 2, 2,0,1, 18 yard sequence guy but that at least makes him a threat.

• Agree 2

39 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

And yet Singletary has averaged 4.8 ypc on 441 career carries and his best season ypc (5.1) was when they were not yet a pass first team in 2019.

Taylor is a stud but he's also running behind maybe the highest draft pedigreed OL the league has ever seen........#1 overall + #6 overall + #18 overall + #37 overall..........when you are that invested in the OL and RB positions you should expect to be dominant on the ground.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

40 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I think it's more important to run the ball when the defense thinks it's coming because it setups up the play action pass than it is to run it just for the sake of running it. 

Proof of this was one display on the 2nd TD passes to seal the game against Carolina. They had to respect the run in that situation because the Bills were effective with it...which opened up Davis for the walk in TD.

• Like (+1) 1

Singletary is a good runner. Pretty solid vision and good contact balance/elusiveness. The issue is he’s bad at pass blocking and pass catching so you can’t really be a versatile offense with him on the field. He shouldn’t be a starter due to those limitations but he’s the best runner we have. 

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Exactly.

I am going to guess when a team sees 4.9ypa they are going to also be worried about that. Which helps Allen in the play actions as well

3 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Quite. The last two weeks the Bills have set up the run with the pass. Against Carolina they had some really good run calls against pass rush packages. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.