Off-season trade idea

whorlnut

I was thinking today on how Beane will fix this offense this off-season and i think even though we all agree we need offensive line help, I think we also need some weapons to go along with line. I’m not sure what Beane has in mind with getting a weapon for this offense, but what about a trade with the giants for Saquon Barkley?  We could offer Tremaine Edmunds. Both players were first rounders in the same class and both might benefit from a change of scenery. 

This worked before when we traded a star linebacker for a running back. We could also draft a linebacker in the middle rounds to replace Edmunds, who has mostly underwhelmed in his time here. Yes, I know he is a two time pro bowler, but i think he leaves a lot out there on the field most of the time.

Barkley would immediately give us an elite weapon. I realize he’s dealt with some injuries, but an ACL seems to be fairly common these days and his ankle got rolled which is a freak deal as well. 

I obviously realize this is highly unlikely, but worth discussing as it could be a win for both sides with exciting young players involved. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 4

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I was thinking today on how Beane will fix this offense this off-season and i think even though we all agree we need offensive line help, I think we also need some weapons to go along with line. I’m not sure what Beane has in mind with getting a weapon for this offense, but what about a trade with the giants for Saquon Barkley?  We could offer Tremaine Edmunds. Both players were first rounders in the same class and both might benefit from a change of scenery. 

This worked before when we traded a star linebacker for a running back. We could also draft a linebacker in the middle rounds to replace Edmunds, who has mostly underwhelmed in his time here. Yes, I know he is a two time pro bowler, but i think he leaves a lot out there on the field most of the time.

Barkley would immediately give us an elite weapon. I realize he’s dealt with some injuries, but an ACL seems to be fairly common these days and his ankle got rolled which is a freak deal as well. 

I obviously realize this is highly unlikely, but worth discussing as it could be a win for both sides with exciting young players involved. 

Do you think Edmunds sucks? Serious question.

I think Edmunds sucks but I only trade him for a DE or high level OL. 

Yes I wanted Najee Harris in the draft, but at the time I thought Ford was the answer at guard. He is a bust. They can't afford a high pick or to waste trade on a RB. Must fix both lines at all cost first. They can survive with the three backs they have now if they had a better OL 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yes I wanted Najee Harris in the draft, but at the time I thought Ford was the answer at guard. He is a bust. They can't afford a high pick or to waste trade on a RB. Must fix both lines at all cost first. They can survive with the three backs they have now if they had a better OL 

I don’t really agree. Breida is on a one year deal and there isn’t a guarantee he will be back. Singletary and Moss are slow and lack vision. The RB room can be upgraded. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It’ll be a real shame if we go into next season with the same three RBs.  They could succeed if we crush the off season and build a beast OL (but doubtful), I’d just like to see them add a different type of talent to the mix.  I’m over Moss.  Breida is an idiot, he needs to go, regardless of speed.  Now I know why he was in the doghouse and couldn’t get on the field competing against 2 JAGs in Miami.  

I’d be fine trading Moss for a 7th or cutting him.  Not resigning Breida and drafting a back in rd 2-4 or adding a FA while giving Antonio Williams a chance at the rb3.  If he stinks, there will be free agents capable of filling the role.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Ya know, I don’t really hate the idea as much as I originally thought, but if we’re going to trade Tremaine, I’d like to actually get something for him that we’d keep for more than 1 year.  I don’t know what Barkley is gonna get paid after next year when he’s a FA, but I think it’s more than I think he’s worth due to his injury history. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ya know, I don’t really hate the idea as much as I originally thought, but if we’re going to trade Tremaine, I’d like to actually get something for him that we’d keep for more than 1 year.  I don’t know what Barkley is gonna get paid after next year when he’s a FA, but I think it’s more than I think he’s worth due to his injury history. 

Fair point. I really think Barkley has had some bad luck and it’s not really an injury prone issue. He tore is acl, which happens a lot these days. Then he rolled his ankle, which can happen slipping on ice. Haha. 

I get your point about getting someone long term. That’s a valid argument imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, motorj said:

Why not trade edmunds for an OL. Bills already have lots of weapons at WR that can't be used because of problems at the front

Like who?  I’ll give you Diggs, but who is really a weapon after him?  Beasley?  He is worthless after the catch. Sanders?  He’s old and now he’s hurt. Davis?  And what is the common factor?  They are all slow. IMO, a weapon needs to be a playmaker AFTER the catch, not only to the point of making one. 

I think one of the biggest myths in the league is that our wide receiver Corp is anything to be excited about. Beyond Diggs, we have a bunch of JAGs.

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Rather have McCaffrey...

• Vomit 2

I actually just mentioned this to my friend yesterday and I'm not even joking. I told him that Barkley is 24, gonna be 25 in February. The Giants have to start over. Daniel Jones is a bust and they need to draft a new QB. The whole team is a mess and it honestly doesn't make sense for the Giants to hold Barkley hostage through his remaining good seasons he has left. Because of Barkley's injury history, I don't think any team would give up a first but I would give up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. They will both be late picks in those rounds. Despite the injuries, I would call them and see what it would take

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

It’ll be a real shame if we go into next season with the same three RBs.  They could succeed if we crush the off season and build a beast OL (but doubtful), I’d just like to see them add a different type of talent to the mix.  I’m over Moss.  Breida is an idiot, he needs to go, regardless of speed.  Now I know why he was in the doghouse and couldn’t get on the field competing against 2 JAGs in Miami.  

I’d be fine trading Moss for a 7th or cutting him.  Not resigning Breida and drafting a back in rd 2-4 or adding a FA while giving Antonio Williams a chance at the rb3.  If he stinks, there will be free agents capable of filling the role.

My point was I would spend on a high priced RB if they have not addressed the OL.  In this scenario if they move Edmunds, they must replace him too.  Therefore any trade would need to bring them back a high end starter at DE or anywhere on the OL.  Cutting Moss for another 3rd or 4th round draft seems like a waste of a draft pick.  They need TE #2, maybe another WR, and a 1tech DT.  Just don't see how they draft another RB in first two days of the draft three years in a row,

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

My point was I would spend on a high priced RB if they have not addressed the OL.  In this scenario if they move Edmunds, they must replace him too.  Therefore any trade would need to bring them back a high end starter at DE or anywhere on the OL.  Cutting Moss for another 3rd or 4th round draft seems like a waste of a draft pick.  They need TE #2, maybe another WR, and a 1tech DT.  Just don't see how they draft another RB in first two days of the draft three years in a row,

Miss is a waste of a draft pick.  He’s just not very good and always hurt.  Cut your losses and move on.  If you want to improve the run game, adding a upgrade @ RB is recommenced.  Not necessary, but unless you want to watch Breida forget to take a handoff or get 17 killed again, we should get someone better

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Like who?  I’ll give you Diggs, but who is really a weapon after him?  Beasley?  He is worthless after the catch. Sanders?  He’s old and now he’s hurt. Davis?  And what is the common factor?  They are all slow. IMO, a weapon needs to be a playmaker AFTER the catch, not only to the point of making one. 

I think one of the biggest myths in the league is that our wide receiver Corp is anything to be excited about. Beyond Diggs, we have a bunch of JAGs.

Help me here.  I would say Dallas, Seattle, and Tampa have better group of WR's - excluding TE's.  Who else?  Rams?  Minnesota? Bills can't be less than top 6 in the league. 

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I don’t really agree. Breida is on a one year deal and there isn’t a guarantee he will be back. Singletary and Moss are slow and lack vision. The RB room can be upgraded. 

Of course it can be upgraded. Every position except CB can be upgraded. But at what cost and what is the difference in the return on investment.  I was fine with a high draft pick RB last year but I terribly misjudged the OL talent.  If Dawkins can not return to form you are looking at replacing both guards and keeping an average center, an average LT, and an unknown at RT.   Beane screwed up with the Ford pick.  Set the line back three years.  

48 minutes ago, Augie said:

Somebody should start a poll. On the poll should be the worst thread ideas. I would vote for speculative trade ideas as #1. 

Sorry, nothing personal, just my opinion.   

I get it. Some trade ideas seem off the wall.  But trading two underachieving first round picks for each other is not out of the question.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

When did we do this?  We traded Kiko, but he was far from a star.  The only place he was a star was in fans minds for a few games.  Not sure who was a bigger legend, Kiko or Duke Williams.

3 hours ago, whorlnut said:

You know, I’ll give you props for a reasonably fair trade proposal.  Most trade idea threads would have Barkley coming to us for Cody Ford and a fifth round pick or something like that.  Edmunds is set to make $5.5M more than Barley next season.  That would require a sweetener to the player for player trade, but moving those two players makes a lot of sense.  The Giants could really use LB help, the Bills could really use a stud RB and both players sure could use a chance of scenery/scheme. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

While the trade is fair (possibly slightly better for the giants imo). 

Do you honestly feel a RB will fix our running game? I don't. If the OL were better we wouldn't be in this situation. 

Blocking scheme? Maybe idk. Fact is until you can block a RB is irrelevant IMO.

We could upgrade the line quickly with solid draft capital.  Linderbaum comes to mind.  Or how about team Brown back up with his NI teammate in Trevor Penning?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

While the trade is fair (possibly slightly better for the giants imo). 

Do you honestly feel a RB will fix our running game? I don't. If the OL were better we wouldn't be in this situation. 

Blocking scheme? Maybe idk. Fact is until you can block a RB is irrelevant IMO.

This is a player for player proposal. Still would have picks and FA to fix the line. Barkley gives us speed, power, and vision…something our current room lacks. 

8 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

This is a player for player proposal. Still would have picks and FA to fix the line. Barkley gives us speed, power, and vision…something our current room lacks. 

Yeah I'm not doubting that Barkley isn't more talented than anything we have. If you use draft capital on OL, which I support, you have to replace Edmunds. 

Klein worthy of a full year? 

It could be done just alot of moving parts, also would have to consider Barkley's contract if he's on a 5th year deal.

5 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Yeah I'm not doubting that Barkley isn't more talented than anything we have. If you use draft capital on OL, which I support, you have to replace Edmunds. 

Klein worthy of a full year? 

It could be done just alot of moving parts, also would have to consider Barkley's contract if he's on a 5th year deal.

Yeah I mean you would have to replace Edmunds. I get that. Maybe a mid rounder or a FA?

Just now, Southern_Bills said:

FA would be better IMO. MLB is difficult to draft for a 1st year impact. Admittedly I have no clue who would be available in FA though.

Yeah I only said mid round because so many on here were so content with mid round offensive picks for years in favor of high defensive picks. That’s part of what got us to this spot imo. 

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Yeah I only said mid round because so many on here were so content with mid round offensive picks for years in favor of high defensive picks. That’s part of what got us to this spot imo. 

Agreed, though this year the top 3 picks should be on OL. It has to get fixed, unless of course quality OL is available in FA (yeah right).

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

Agreed, though this year the top 3 picks should be on OL. It has to get fixed, unless of course quality OL is available in FA (yeah right).

My hope is someone like Brandon Scherff in FA and then a speedy weapon and another guard in the first 2 rounds. That would go a long way in improving this offense imo. 

Seems like Barkley is made of glass . And when he is on the field he is a JAG. 

37 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

You realize Moss and Singletary are not going to become shifty and fast no matter how good our line is, right?

what has Barkley done even when heathy? Nothing. He is a JAG. 

And his injury history in the NFL is concerning.

• Haha (+1) 1

Not a fan of this one. The gain at RB wouldn’t offset the loss on D. TE isn’t elite but he is above average especially against the pass. 

This season NYG #26 has 100 carries for 379 yards and 2 touchdowns. Only 3.8 ypc. 

Our #26 has 112 for 547 and 2 TDs. 4.9 ypc with how many times he’s been hit in the backfield is actually kind of impressive. 

If we fix our online I think many would have a higher opinion of our RBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.