NFL Executive Comments on the Flaw of Bills Roster Construction & Game Play

JohnNord

Question this off-season is whether they're all-in on Josh or need to balance the roster on both sides of the ball.Ā 

Ā 

As much as McD takes heat for his in-game decisions, they're a symptom of a bigger problem: he's a defensive coach in a role that necessitates he consider both sides of the ball.Ā  But he'll always yield, both in-game and during the off-season, to where his NFL roots are.Ā 

Ā 

McD has maxed out as a NFL HC.Ā  And he's too stubborn to admit that the game is passing him by.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Oh ya, throwing that much is not sustainable, yet the bucs, who won the superbowl, throw it just as much or more. PleaseĀ 

They had a decent running game in the playoffs last year with Fournette and Jones and a better OL. Ā Not the same comparisonĀ 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

RB position was not addressed in the offseason because Beanne was too busy enjoying his award and did not want to admit he blew it drafting both Moss & Singetary in the the 3d round.Ā  Singletary is maybe a 4th or 5th rounder at best and Moss is more like a 7th rounder or undrafted free agent.Ā  Beane has missed bad on many picks and free agent signing/Ā  Morse/Star/Addison/Butler/Klein,Ā  all paid good to very good money and have produced very little.Ā  Like has Butler even made a play this season and Star seems to always let his teammate down

Ā 

Only reason why this team is still a playoff contender is because Josh Allen,Ā  so fans need to stop just blaming Sean because Beanne is just as much to blame if not more.Ā  I challenge anyone to review his free agent signings and show anyone other then Beasley and maybe Sanders who has paid off and considered good value.Ā  Draft pick Espensa looks like a undersized slow DE and other picks like Ford/Moss look like complete busts.Ā  Just blindly resigned his offensive line from last season and they get blow up week after week and Josh is usuallly ruuning for his life.Ā  Changes are needed and we may need cut guys even if it means having dead money so we can sign quality and not just quanity of free agents.Ā Ā 

Whatever you classify diggs as. That was a good move. Ā Would also say the Williams UFA contract last year was great. Ā No disagreement on Butler. I was wanting literally anything for him this off-season. Fine with Morse and Klein is a slight overpay, but that happens in the UFA market a lot. Star has been fine this year but that contract is still beanes biggest mistake.Ā 

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Question this off-season is whether they're all-in on Josh or need to balance the roster on both sides of the ball.Ā 

Ā 

As much as McD takes heat for his in-game decisions, they're a symptom of a bigger problem: he's a defensive coach in a role that necessitates he consider both sides of the ball.Ā  But he'll always yield, both in-game and during the off-season, to where his NFL roots are.Ā 

Ā 

McD has maxed out as a NFL HC.Ā  And he's too stubborn to admit that the game is passing him by.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Thatā€™s a bit dramatic and extreme though there is some truth to what you said. Ā Some of the decisions yesterday were not good

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

McDermott doesn't call plays on offense. It is Daboll.

Ā 

Daboll is deficient in the run game, both in scheme and in play calling. I'd also say he is deficient in the red zone.

Ā 

Daboll has a lot going for him, but until he improves in those areas, this team will struggle.

Ā 

I do think the oline is not great, and our running backs are not great either, but he should be able to scheme up some plays to cover some of those deficiencies. Singletary is more than capable. He just gets less than 10 carries a game.

Ā 

Of course...but with McD's emphasis on toughness he could be telling Daboll he wants to run the ball inside.

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ā 

They drafted two OL, so this notion we ignored the OL this offseason is just not accurate. Ā 

Ā 

Its not like we have endless cap space to pay the best OL in FA or have 6 picks in the first 2 rounds to get premium draft picks at every position of need. Ā One of those 2 OL we drafted has been one of our best OL this year in Brown. Ā 

Ā 

Sorry, but nothing is more inaccurate than this false blanket statement we "ignored" it when we did not. Ā Our pass rush was a major achilles heal ALSO. Ā We had several things we needed to address, cant fix it all in one draft or offseason. Ā 

Ā 

I mean this was essentially the third year of an entire rebuild where it was completely torn down and built back up. Ā Almost every starter is new, and every backup. Ā We went from the bottom of the AFC to the AFCCG in essentially Beanes 2nd year of rebuilding (first year he just tore the old stuff down before building back up). Ā 

Ā 

Now this offseason, there is zero doubt OL will almost certainly be the main priority this off season. Ā I expect they will look to address DT given Star has not been able to stay on the field consistently and he and his size are too important to our run defense and possibly a RB. Ā But our run game issues are NOT our RB's as much as it is our OL and most importantly, run blocking scheme. Ā 

Ā 

Other changes I believe will happen...Bobby Johnson fired and if Daboll doesn't take another job, I think he could be fired too. Ā Because quite honestly, I dont think talent wise our OL is as bad as its been playing. Ā I think it has a LOT to do with Daboll and his system/scheme. Ā Look at the 2nd half yesterday...soon as we start running the ball, the OL doesn't look nearly as bad as it did in the first half. Ā This has been true several times this year. Ā So my personal opinion, DABOLL is our biggest achilles heal overall right now. Ā 

Ā 

This reminds me when everyone was crying we didn't address WR while completely lacking the context of state of the team, cap, and all the other positions we had to address first. Ā Then, once that was set, we went and over hauled the WR room too. Ā Next up...the OL situation...be it player or coach over haul or both.

Good post. Ā The answers are never as simple as they appear. Ā Thatā€™s what drives me crazy about some of the ways that fans react. Suggesting that firing McDermott or Frazier or Daboll is the solution is insaneĀ 

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Of course...but with McD's emphasis on toughness he could be telling Daboll he wants to run the ball inside.

McDermott seems pretty pissed by the lack of a run game and has said as much, and then we continue to NOT run the ball. I don't think he has much influence over the plays Daboll calls. Otherwise, there would be more balance.

Oh ya, throwing that much is not sustainable, yet the bucs, who won the superbowl, throw it just as much or more. PleaseĀ 

We actually run it a lot lol idk why qb runs donā€™t count in peoples eyes. Our qb had 100+ yards rushing last night. Yea Iā€™m todays nfl (aka for the team that the refs want to win šŸ˜‚) mathematically going pass heavy makes a lot of sense because you usually canā€™t hold receivers all game long lolĀ 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ā 

They drafted two OL, so this notion we ignored the OL this offseason is just not accurate. Ā 

Ā 

Its not like we have endless cap space to pay the best OL in FA or have 6 picks in the first 2 rounds to get premium draft picks at every position of need. Ā One of those 2 OL we drafted has been one of our best OL this year in Brown. Ā 

Ā 

Sorry, but nothing is more inaccurate than this false blanket statement we "ignored" it when we did not. Ā Our pass rush was a major achilles heal ALSO. Ā We had several things we needed to address, cant fix it all in one draft or offseason. Ā 

Ā 

I mean this was essentially the third year of an entire rebuild where it was completely torn down and built back up. Ā Almost every starter is new, and every backup. Ā We went from the bottom of the AFC to the AFCCG in essentially Beanes 2nd year of rebuilding (first year he just tore the old stuff down before building back up). Ā 

Ā 

Now this offseason, there is zero doubt OL will almost certainly be the main priority this off season. Ā I expect they will look to address DT given Star has not been able to stay on the field consistently and he and his size are too important to our run defense and possibly a RB. Ā But our run game issues are NOT our RB's as much as it is our OL and most importantly, run blocking scheme. Ā 

Ā 

Other changes I believe will happen...Bobby Johnson fired and if Daboll doesn't take another job, I think he could be fired too. Ā Because quite honestly, I dont think talent wise our OL is as bad as its been playing. Ā I think it has a LOT to do with Daboll and his system/scheme. Ā Look at the 2nd half yesterday...soon as we start running the ball, the OL doesn't look nearly as bad as it did in the first half. Ā This has been true several times this year. Ā So my personal opinion, DABOLL is our biggest achilles heal overall right now. Ā 

Ā 

This reminds me when everyone was crying we didn't address WR while completely lacking the context of state of the team, cap, and all the other positions we had to address first. Ā Then, once that was set, we went and over hauled the WR room too. Ā Next up...the OL situation...be it player or coach over haul or both.

As we sit here with a 7-6 record.
Ā 

Ignored is a poor choice of words. Ā They didnā€™t ignore it. They made poor decisions regarding resource allocation. Ā Again. Weā€™ll see if Basham and Doyle can eventually be contributors. Ā Creed Humphrey wouldā€™ve helped us win this year. Ā We paid a tackle that is an AWFUL tackle. Ā We paid a Guard that is an awful guard (and was paid because he can also be our backup C). Ā We drafted a RT that hadnā€™t played in 1.5 years (dude was embarrassing yesterday). Ā They drafted another project tackle that is barely practice squad material. Ā 
Ā 

They decided to keep Addison. Ā They decided to keep Butler. Ā The money given to those guys couldnā€™t gone to the OL. Ā It certainly had very little impact on the pass rush. Ā Similar to Basham. Ā 
Ā 

They made mistakes and those mistakes contributed to our current state. Ā 7-6. Ā Everything isnā€™t on the coaching and the players. Ā Beane needs to get criticism when he is due criticism. Ā The word ā€œignoredā€ is just a poor choice of words

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

i've been down on mcclaps this season, and he deserves it (lol, i bet it tears him up that colin on TBD has had harsh words for him!).

Ā 

what i think happened yesterday: he let dabol do his thing, and he let the d and frazier do their thing in the first half (unsure how much he is normally involved in the D, im sure it's not zero tho).Ā  at half time, he pepped the team up, and in his own way read the riot act to daboll, and made some small adjustments on D.

Ā 

the d played great after half time until the breakdown on the OT pass, and with a few stumbles the O was the josh allen show w guest appearances from his pals from time to time.

Ā 

if we win out and take the division, which i'd love to see but in no way expect, i could see dabol keeping his job but as above i agree w you that the OL coaches are toast no matter what.

Ā 

if we stumble but make the playoffs, i'd put it at like 70% that dabol gets the hook.Ā  if we miss the playoffs, particularly if it ends up in a run for the bus finish, at least dabol, if not more, coaches walk, and mcclap's seat gets super hot.

Ā 

i don't think josh being hurt will give them any slack either, it's do or die time.Ā 

44 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

i've been down on mcclaps this season, and he deserves it (lol, i bet it tears him up that colin on TBD has had harsh words for him!).

Ā 

what i think happened yesterday: he let dabol do his thing, and he let the d and frazier do their thing in the first half (unsure how much he is normally involved in the D, im sure it's not zero tho).Ā  at half time, he pepped the team up, and in his own way read the riot act to daboll, and made some small adjustments on D.

Ā 

the d played great after half time until the breakdown on the OT pass, and with a few stumbles the O was the josh allen show w guest appearances from his pals from time to time.

Ā 

if we win out and take the division, which i'd love to see but in no way expect, i could see dabol keeping his job but as above i agree w you that the OL coaches are toast no matter what.

Ā 

if we stumble but make the playoffs, i'd put it at like 70% that dabol gets the hook.Ā  if we miss the playoffs, particularly if it ends up in a run for the bus finish, at least dabol, if not more, coaches walk, and mcclap's seat gets super hot.

Ā 

i don't think josh being hurt will give them any slack either, it's do or die time.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

running game will be fixed with offseason moves.Ā  Ā Roster is what it is at this point for this season.Ā  Ā  FA RB signing plus Doyle probably starts, plus other moves.Ā  Ā I think they know what they are doing ... not concerned.Ā  Ā  They ran it well in the 2nd half vs TB.Ā  Ā 

Ā 

It's not just a matter of "how much" they throw vs run, it's a matter of "is there a credible run threat, such that the defense feels some need to defend the run on every snap?"Ā  Because if there isn't, then they can just pin their ears back and go after the passer.

Ā 

No one facing Tampa with Fournette in the backfield thinks they can just ignore him as a run threat.

43 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Singletary was the guy who "could make you miss in a phone booth" as a rookie and used to make nice plays his rookie year when he was used more. Then they drafted Moss for that "one foot and a cloud of dust" factor and Singletary has been an afterthought ever since.Ā 

Ā 

Yesterday he made some plays on offense. Now, I'm not saying he is a feature back or that he is a gamebreaker. But we know he CAN make plays because we've seen it here, in this offense, for this team.Ā 

Ā 

When you get 3 touches a game you're not going to get into any type of rhythm.Ā 

Ā 

I think DS should have a role in this team.Ā  What exactly it is I'm not sure - i do think its a position to upgrade and I'm not sure the draft is necessarily the spot to do it.Ā  Free agents should come cheap at that position - and I'd probably target guys in the vein of chase edmonds or darrel williams.Ā 

Ā 

Barkley probably walks this year too, but I'm not a big fan of his TBH.Ā  He tries to do too much at times to the detriment of the play.Ā  However he shouldn't command a big contract with his production level.Ā  I'd say somewhere in the 6-7 range max, and likely lower with performance incentives put in.Ā  He's still a home run hitter when healthy, and has always been a solid pass catcher - the health has been a major issue for 2 years now though.Ā Ā 

7 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

In the second half the bills were successful at running because how much they threw in the first half

Ā 

Its all about coaching and play calling. A coach needs to be able to set his players up for success.Ā 

They seemed to figure out the pressure looks and ran right into them.Ā  Thus forcing TB off of their pressure looks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.