The Bills can stop their freefall by starting to prove they're as tough as their city

Dan Darragh

On October 31 at 6PM the situation in Buffalo was as follows:

The Bills were 5-2 and a popular favorite to make the Super Bowl.  Josh Allen was the leading candidate for MVP

The Sabres were 5-1-1 and although they were clearly punching above their weight, people were looking forward to a fun season with a young and exciting team

On December 6 at 11:30PM:

After the loss to NE, Bills fans have begun to make calculations about whether we can make the playoffs or not

The Sabres are 8-14-3 and can't seem to do anything right.  The few fans who show up at home games have booed them off the ice after each of the last three games.

When they make a sequel to "The Four Falls of Buffalo" maybe they'll explain what happened.

Edited by Dan Darragh
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

not going to comment on the Sabres race to the annual bottom 5 other than it must be embaassing for the Pegulas to report those anemic attendance figures to the league.

Bills still have a shot, our expectations were too high given last years results and this years shortcomings and close losses....the NE game swung on 1-2 plays, the long run and our missed FG...

• Dan Darragh changed the title to Five weeks in 2021 - the "Fifth Fall of Buffalo"?
14 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

On October 31 at 6PM the situation in Buffalo was as follows:

The Bills were 5-2 and a popular favorite to make the Super Bowl.  Josh Allen was the leading candidate for MVP

The Sabres were 5-1-1 and although they were clearly punching above their weight, people were looking forward to a fun season with a young and exciting team

On December 6 at 11:30PM:

After the loss to NE, Bills fans have begun to make calculations about whether we can make the playoffs or not

The Sabres are 8-14-3 and can't seem to do anything right.  The few fans who show up at home games have booed them off the ice after each of the last three games.

When they make a sequel to "The Four Falls of Buffalo" maybe they'll explain what happened.

I think the fifth fall of Buffalo should be this ridiculous topic for a thread

Just because fatigue with the Bills letdown is draining me…I’m going to fly in on the other side of the other end of this thing. From an adverse non partial standpoint….I have an interesting platform here. Die hard Bills fan. Live 7 hours away, drive up to the stadium, spend thousands on Sunday ticket and Merch, watch every play pre season/regular etc. 10k poster on the BBMB, whatever I have in here and I live and die with the team. But I live in the Hudson Valley. Also a big time rangers fan.

I listen to WGR every day. I put it on because of the Bills and am forced to sit through Sabre’s talk constantly. They suck. I’m sorry. They absolutely stink. And whereas I hear how clueless guys like Jeremy White and Howard Simon are speaking about the Bills (A team I love) I also hear these buffoons talk about the Sabre’s. It’s almost as if they can’t be more wrong about sports if you were trying. People we’re excited about playing a “wide open” exciting style. But that also why they are going to lose. No matter what people want the NHL to be, it’s not that. Not playing responsible defense and protecting your own net is how you get embarrassed. I knew they were going to start to get absolutely smoked. They don’t have the players to run the system they want and it’s just not how you win in hockey. The crazy part is, people that watch the NHL, realize that. These idiots are praising the coach saying how fun it is and refreshing. Fine. Don’t complain then when you lose 20 out of the next 25 games and they guy gets fired. 

• Like (+1) 1

Great article from New York Times best selling author Dan Wetzel about how the Bills could turn their season around by replicating the tenacity, and determination of the hard scrabble people of Buffalo. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-bills-can-stop-their-freefall-by-starting-to-prove-theyre-as-tough-as-their-city-203903610.html

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Ross Murdock said:

Great article from New York Times best selling author Dan Wetzel about how the Bills could turn their season around by replicating the tenacity, and determination of the hard scrabble people of Buffalo. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-bills-can-stop-their-freefall-by-starting-to-prove-theyre-as-tough-as-their-city-203903610.html

Good article and to his point - he’s right.  Enough talk about what they need to do…actually do it.  

Meh. After reading this, while it offers a nice critique of the 2021 Bills, it doesn’t give any examples of Buffalo’s (the city) actual toughness, just describes a “hard-nosed identity”. I don’t think any Bills fan wants a team that plays like the Pats did just because it exemplifies their own identity. They just want the team to win, by any means necessary and no matter how pretty/ugly.

Edited by Best Williams Available
  • Like (+1) 1

Sadly, I think we're still beat to ***** from NE.....

Tampa is going to run on us too....  and stop our feeble run game.....

This Bills team has Allen, Diggs (who is no kid) White (Who is gone for a year) and Dion Dawjkins (Who May be chronically ill).  That's our upper echelon talent and it is very sad.

We better hope Epenesa, Groot and Basham take the NFL by Storm next year.

That our '20 , '21 and '22 drafts really, really take off and that Beane knows what the goal is.... (It's to win a Super Bowl, Beane!) 

He had better come up with an intelligent, aggressive plan and inactive it if he likes his job.

Go Bills!

24 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Sadly, I think we're still beat to ***** from NE.....

Tampa is going to run on us too....  and stop our feeble run game.....

This Bills team has Allen, Diggs (who is no kid) White (Who is gone for a year) and Dion Dawjkins (Who May be chronically ill).  That's our upper echelon talent and it is very sad.

We better hope Epenesa, Groot and Basham take the NFL by Storm next year.

That our '20 , '21 and '22 drafts really, really take off and that Beane knows what the goal is.... (It's to win a Super Bowl, Beane!) 

He had better come up with an intelligent, aggressive plan and inactive it if he likes his job.

Go Bills!

I don't disagree with your general overall point and have been expressing some serious concern about development, but Diggs is 28, in incredible shape, has world class training, and is often elusive enough to escape a big hit. He'll be good for years.

• Like (+1) 1

Physical toughness doesn't appear to be the issue.

It's mostly just not making mistakes, particularly in this last game. Stop with the penalties and execute.

The Bills mostly held the Pats down on the ground. But on a few plays a mistake or two is made and it all turns into a big play.

It's not a non-issue; this is football. But it's not the biggest problem. That appears to be execution, mistakes and inconsistency.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Haven't read the article but every time someone from outside WNY talks about "The hard working people of WNY" or similar crap, it's effectively a put down to the area.

It's also a gross generalization that probably isn't even accurate anymore.

The blue collar folks who made Buffalo what it used to be, started leaving 50 years ago in pursuit of jobs.

Not too many are left now.

• Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

It's one thing to lose. It's another thing to lose and get your a$$ kicked. I want to see a team that works hard, has no quit, is resilient and doesn't celebrate a sack when you are down 17 points. I didn't read the article but I assume that's what is meant by tough. For the most part I think many of the Bills players do represent that.

Edited by bmur66

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Are people from Buffalo actually more like this than other people? The biggest thing I have noticed about people from Buffalo is that most of them have a huge inferiority complex.

Yep, just mention the weather and see what happens

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.