The Bills can stop their freefall by starting to prove they're as tough as their city

Dan Darragh

1 hour ago, Success said:

All "same ol Bills" discussions and topics are over.  We have the best QB in the league and a great team.

Personally, I think this season begins "The 4 Redemption Leaps of Buffalo."  Or something like that - I don't love that wording, but you get the gist.

And I actually want 5.  A 5-4 SB record would be cool.

Best QB in the league?  Nah.

He might be your favorite, though!

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Uh, no again.

Ok, well the Bills made the Playoffs 3x from the start of the Super Bowl era until 1987, with their best season being 1980 at 11-5. 

I guess that's relevance. 

But from 1988 - 1994 they score the most points in franchise history behind Kelly and crew until 2020 Allen. 

15 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Sadly, I think we're still beat to ***** from NE.....

Tampa is going to run on us too....  and stop our feeble run game.....

This Bills team has Allen, Diggs (who is no kid) White (Who is gone for a year) and Dion Dawjkins (Who May be chronically ill).  That's our upper echelon talent and it is very sad.

We better hope Epenesa, Groot and Basham take the NFL by Storm next year.

That our '20 , '21 and '22 drafts really, really take off and that Beane knows what the goal is.... (It's to win a Super Bowl, Beane!) 

He had better come up with an intelligent, aggressive plan and inactive it if he likes his job.

Go Bills!

Can't stop what isn't there....They don't even have to game plan for the run

McDermott knew good well in training camp he has nowhere near the OL to run the ball. This is an offseason failure as much as an inability of Johnson & Daboll to teach blocking. This won't get fixed until we upgrade Boettger,  Ford, Mongo and Williams. All the training camp rhetoric means nothing McDermott if you already know you're behind the 8 ball.

This run the ball more conversation started to take off after the first half of the Ravens game, where the Bills ran, what, 3 times? 

Then the AFC Championship Game kicked the lack of run game conversation up a notch. 

And the Bills going 4 and 5 wide to begin the year and only scoring 16 points reinvigorated this further. 

I think if you look at the team in totality, once Brown came in at RT, and seeing that Singletary's offseason workouts did nothing to improve his effectiveness, Moss is not good, and Breida is getting the TJ Yeldon treatment, we can conclude the best offense is 4 and 5 wide. 

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think if you look at the team in totality, once Brown came in at RT, and seeing that Singletary's offseason workouts did nothing to improve his effectiveness, Moss is not good, and Breida is getting the TJ Yeldon treatment, we can conclude the best offense is 4 and 5 wide. 

The Bills did their best work with 4 and 5 wide.  If teams are scheming against the deep pass then let's let knox & beas each get 100 receptions 10 yards over the middle.  QUick hitters too since the OL is only slightly better at pass blocking than run blocking

On 12/8/2021 at 10:56 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Just because fatigue with the Bills letdown is draining me…I’m going to fly in on the other side of the other end of this thing. From an adverse non partial standpoint….I have an interesting platform here. Die hard Bills fan. Live 7 hours away, drive up to the stadium, spend thousands on Sunday ticket and Merch, watch every play pre season/regular etc. 10k poster on the BBMB, whatever I have in here and I live and die with the team. But I live in the Hudson Valley. Also a big time rangers fan.

I listen to WGR every day. I put it on because of the Bills and am forced to sit through Sabre’s talk constantly. They suck. I’m sorry. They absolutely stink. And whereas I hear how clueless guys like Jeremy White and Howard Simon are speaking about the Bills (A team I love) I also hear these buffoons talk about the Sabre’s. It’s almost as if they can’t be more wrong about sports if you were trying. People we’re excited about playing a “wide open” exciting style. But that also why they are going to lose. No matter what people want the NHL to be, it’s not that. Not playing responsible defense and protecting your own net is how you get embarrassed. I knew they were going to start to get absolutely smoked. They don’t have the players to run the system they want and it’s just not how you win in hockey. The crazy part is, people that watch the NHL, realize that. These idiots are praising the coach saying how fun it is and refreshing. Fine. Don’t complain then when you lose 20 out of the next 25 games and they guy gets fired. 

I disagree with your "take" about the Sabres. It is true they really do play piss poor hockey now but Adams/Granato went into this season knowing they had a porous defense (Dahlin is a give away machine-that's mainly because he's on my fantasy hockey team) and the worst goal tending in the league. IMHO they are trying to get their players to play up tempo hockey (anti-Krueger) so when they fix the goaltender situation and get Owen Power in the lineup at D they will make  a semi-quantum leap (basically they won't be a bottom five team next year and will flirt around the edges at a playoff spot). There are a number of really good RD in the upcoming draft and the Sabres will take one with one of their three picks in the first round; it will take a year or two before that player gets to the "bigs." They won't make the playoffs next year but if they get some goalie luck they'll challenge for one in 2023-24.

Make no mistake: Buffalo would gladly take any win it can against 9-3 Bucs, but while some shootout might feel good and look good, it could really use a game where it shows the rest of the league, let alone itself, that it can stand its ground in the trenches.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-bills-can-stop-their-freefall-by-starting-to-prove-theyre-as-tough-as-their-city-203903610.html

I hadn't seen this article referenced or discussed. I thought it was a good read.

to the quoted I say Indeed.

Edited by Muppy

1 hour ago, entropyrules said:

I disagree with your "take" about the Sabres. It is true they really do play piss poor hockey now but Adams/Granato went into this season knowing they had a porous defense (Dahlin is a give away machine-that's mainly because he's on my fantasy hockey team) and the worst goal tending in the league. IMHO they are trying to get their players to play up tempo hockey (anti-Krueger) so when they fix the goaltender situation and get Owen Power in the lineup at D they will make  a semi-quantum leap (basically they won't be a bottom five team next year and will flirt around the edges at a playoff spot). There are a number of really good RD in the upcoming draft and the Sabres will take one with one of their three picks in the first round; it will take a year or two before that player gets to the "bigs." They won't make the playoffs next year but if they get some goalie luck they'll challenge for one in 2023-24.

I guess I just fundamentally disagree with the idea that playing that way is how you sustain success in the nhl. I just sat through 3 wasted years of Quinn trying to play this wide open style. The Rangers would light it up on nights where they were on and at times it was beautiful to watch. What wasn’t beautiful was watching the other team instantly respond and see them never being able to consistently win games. For most of the 2000s (post lockout) it was just assumed that I’d get a nice playoff run with a legitimate chance at a final appearance. It was a lot of teams that just grind it out, played excellent defense and obviously had top end goaltending.  But because they never actually got over the hump, frustration set in and I think the thought was to attempt to build this high flying finesse team to play that wide open game. All you do when you play that was is leave yourself vulnerable on the back end. It’s almost impossible to win consistently without defensive responsibility and the way to create that is not by flying up and down the ice. At least that’s what I think. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.