Did McDermott all but admit there will be coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball?

BuffaloBill

On 12/7/2021 at 10:47 AM, Nextmanup said:

I think I'd rather keep Daboll and get rid of McDermott, if there is a rift growing between them.

The future is passing, not running, and it has nothing to do with "toughness" whatsoever.

Nice take 😂 

7 hours ago, Trogdor said:

McD wasn't exactly a world beating coordinator either. He was gifted hall of fame talent as a secondary coach, but didn't last when promoted and was fired by Reid. He had 2 good years with the Panthers, but the rest they were towards the bottom of the league in points surrendered. There is serious myth building around him that his teams are disciplined and prepared, but that never actually seems to be the case. 

I think this is a point worth examining.  Certainly relative to Wrex Wryan, McDermott brought discipline and stability.

But, there's something off there.  His team seems to come into some games totally unprepared (Jags for example) and we don't seem sufficiently agile in making adjustments.    We are 9th in the league at penalties against us with 84 penalties for 716 yds.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Maybe you are right about sequencing of plays but the stats tell a different story.  Allen was 30-51 for 270.  The Bills threw 51 times and with only 15 running plays for their RB’s.  So not sure where you’re getting run-run-pass from, it’s not possible given these splits.  Singletary actually had one of his best performances with 11 carries for 72 yards.  If anything you can make the argument they should have run a few more times. 

Correct.  It's simply mathematically impossible to say we played run-run-pass against the Steelers when we passed 51 times and ran 25, of which 9 were Allen (mostly scrambles on intended pass plays.

What happened against the Steelers is that Daboll was expecting "Blitzburgh" and decided he'd come out with a spread offense to beat the blitz and attack Pittsburgh's suspect secondary.  We ran 4 or 5 WR almost half the snaps in that game!  Knox only played half the snaps, our fullback and 2nd TE only played 2 snaps, and we didn't try putting in extra OLmen.

Instead, Pittburgh brought pressure (successfully) with 3 or 4 guys but used post-snap changes and stunts that would have let us gash them big time were we running - but they had no fear of that.  That left them with 7 or 8 defenders to blanket the field, bracket our guys, and take them away.

Switching tactics and running a few more times with an extra blocker might have been helpful.

I don’t think it was a result of a conservative game plan, as much as it was Josh struggling to figure out 2 high shell under significant duress.   This also happened against Jacksonville, and parts of Indianapolis and New England and plagued them all season in the redzone.  

Yep

This is is why trying to develop some sort of run game in these situations is not the ridiculous idea some make it out to be

This is the biggest fallacy to develop from the Bills game.  People assume McDermott wants to “ground and pound” and coach defensively and I really don’t think that’s the case.

He wants to be able to run the ball when the offense gets good running looks.  That helps create a little more balance which should help our little out a little in the pass game as well.  Also do you notice how bad our line struggles to pick up short yardage for first downs?  That’s the physicality I believe McDermott is talking about.

This is exactly correct.  He also doesn't want teams with "meh" front 7 like Jacksonville to be able to dial up exotic pressure packages even "SuperOL" would struggle to adjust and block because they have no concern about being gashed by the run.  Colts didn't leave themselves open like that, but they did utilize post-snap changes which we struggled to adjust for to bring pressure and to slow Josh's reads enough to get home.

McDermott sees the field as a defensive coach.  He understands that when a team has a gap in their game - for example the Ravens, who struggle in the passing game - you can dare them to beat you that way and really lock down and smother what they do well, which is run and short passes to the TE. 

So he understands how opposing DCs are seeing the Bills - as a spread offense even Jax can shut down, and as a team where running between the tackles is not to be feared and running outside is impossible unless Breida is in there.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2021 at 2:05 PM, Nextmanup said:

I see this a lot all over this board.

Why can't he?  All the great QBs do it all by themselves, consistently, game to game, for years.

Brady has been doing it for 2 decades.

If Josh hits the wide open man, a handful of times last night when it mattered, we easily win the game.

Okay pump the brakes. Brady, the best QB of all time, never won a Super Bowl without a top 5 defense. He has had the best offensive lines a quarterback could ask for. And he's always had a solid running game to keep defenses honest. He didn't take a pay cut all those years out of the goodness of his heart. He knew that better players around him would help him win.

Rodgers and Brees are first ballot HOF QBs that have both had multiple losing seasons and have only won one super bowl a piece in almost 20 years of play. 

Regardless of the QB, it takes an entire team to win consistently.

Josh threw an absolute dime to Diggs in the endzone that hit him right in the arm and was dropped. He threw multiple great passes to Knox that were dropped including one in the endzone. Allen missed the last throw which probably sticks out in your mind more than all his great throws, but he played more than well enough to win this game.

Edit: And P.S. Allen did all that in a game in which the conditions were so bad that the opposing team didn't even trust their QB to attempt more than 3 passes and while he was under duress almost every play behind a terrible offensive line.

Edited by MPT
  • Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correct.  It's simply mathematically impossible to say we played run-run-pass against the Steelers when we passed 51 times and ran 25, of which 9 were Allen (mostly scrambles on intended pass plays.

What happened against the Steelers is that Daboll was expecting "Blitzburgh" and decided he'd come out with a spread offense to beat the blitz and attack Pittsburgh's suspect secondary.  We ran 4 or 5 WR almost half the snaps in that game!  Knox only played half the snaps, our fullback and 2nd TE only played 2 snaps, and we didn't try putting in extra OLmen.

Instead, Pittburgh brought pressure (successfully) with 3 or 4 guys but used post-snap changes and stunts that would have let us gash them big time were we running - but they had no fear of that.  That left them with 7 or 8 defenders to blanket the field, bracket our guys, and take them away.

Switching tactics and running a few more times with an extra blocker might have been helpful.

Yep

This is exactly correct.  He also doesn't want teams with "meh" front 7 like Jacksonville to be able to dial up exotic pressure packages even "SuperOL" would struggle to adjust and block because they have no concern about being gashed by the run.  Colts didn't leave themselves open like that, but they did utilize post-snap changes which we struggled to adjust for to bring pressure and to slow Josh's reads enough to get home.

McDermott sees the field as a defensive coach.  He understands that when a team has a gap in their game - for example the Ravens, who struggle in the passing game - you can dare them to beat you that way and really lock down and smother what they do well, which is run and short passes to the TE. 

So he understands how opposing DCs are seeing the Bills - as a spread offense even Jax can shut down, and as a team where running between the tackles is not to be feared and running outside is impossible unless Breida is in there.

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/sean-mcdermott-gives-roundabout-answer-about-brian-dabolls-performance?ls=pftvod

Simms makes the important point here (3+ minutes in) that the Bills’ offensive talent is wildly overrated. He says that they have two blue chip players (Allen and Diggs) and a bunch of JAGs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/8/2021 at 3:44 AM, BuffaloBill said:

“We’re gonna try our darndest to fix it. It’s tough. I’m not gonna sit up here and lie to you guys. To fix that part of your game this time of year is tough,” he said. “That’s why we try like heck to do it in training camp. That’s where you develop the toughness of the football team. That’s why we run the football in training camp.”

Sean McDermott quoted by Matt Parrino 

Clearly, he is not very happy with what Bobby Johnson and Brian Dabol have done with the run game.  To me this is an astounding statement from a head coach who was supposedly going to make a Super Bowl appearance this year.  

It would seem almost obvious that Johnson is as good as gone at the end of the year and Dabol may also be very much on the hot seat. What a change given Dabol was to be heading towards a HC’ing job at the end of this season. 

Yeah, I think that's a case of confirmation bias on your part.

You want change, so you see this very bland statement as proof you're right, when there's zero reason really to think it means what you want it to mean.

Not that I'm saying there won't be change. Nor am I saying these exact changes won't happen. Just that what he said there doesn't even mildly indicate it.

It certainly says there'll be change. It's extremely unclear that the change will be the ones you're reading this as a signal for.

30 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/sean-mcdermott-gives-roundabout-answer-about-brian-dabolls-performance?ls=pftvod

Simms makes the important point here (3+ minutes in) that the Bills’ offensive talent is wildly overrated. He says that they have two blue chip players (Allen and Diggs) and a bunch of JAGs.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep…. That’s what happens when your regime constantly invests in the defense with high round picks…. 

The draft is one way to bring in guys. There actually are other ways. They didn't draft Diggs. Yet he appeared here ... somehow, magically. It's almost as if trades and free agency were ways to acquire people outside the draft.

And building a championship team by getting an excellent defense and a great QB and then hoping the QB makes those around him better is a fairly common, very legitimate way of doing it.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/7/2021 at 1:44 PM, BuffaloBill said:

“We’re gonna try our darndest to fix it. It’s tough. I’m not gonna sit up here and lie to you guys. To fix that part of your game this time of year is tough,” he said. “That’s why we try like heck to do it in training camp. That’s where you develop the toughness of the football team. That’s why we run the football in training camp.”

Clearly, he is not very happy with what Bobby Johnson and Brian Dabol have done with the run game.  To me this is an astounding statement from a head coach who was supposedly going to make a Super Bowl appearance this year.  

It would seem almost obvious that Johnson is as good as gone at the end of the year and Dabol may also be very much on the hot seat. What a change given Dabol was to be heading towards a HC’ing job at the end of this season. 

I don’t know how anyone can look at what the RB’s are doing and then blame it on the toughness of the O-Line.

• Agree 1

We cut a starting G for a potential playoff team, traded an All-Pro for a 6th and failed to develop an athletically talented 2nd rounder.  We have also failed to develop a single interior OL in the last 3 years (sorry, Butthead 😄).

These mistakes all occurred when the talent was in the building.  Everyone owns this, but Beane put talent in front of Johnson.

Edited by N.Y. Orangeman

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I don’t know how anyone can look at what the RB’s are doing and then blame it on the toughness of the O-Line.

I think this clip is basically right - he should have bounced it out - but it has been pointed out that Judon gained outside leverage on Spencer Brown and simply cut back inside when he saw the direction Moss was headed in. And while it's easy to criticize Moss, Morse is badly beaten there. The idea behind the play was for Morse to actually hold his block, and he completely failed. 

• Agree 1

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/defenses-blunted-superstar-quarterbacks-season-083006493.html

Extremely relevant article.  Just feels like Bills organization was/is behind the curve on how NFL defenses have adjusted to the passing game.  And now it looks like it’s too late to do anything substantial enough to address our weak running game.  

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I have been saying this for nearly 2 years. 

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think this clip is basically right - he should have bounced it out - but it has been pointed out that Judon gained outside leverage on Spencer Brown and simply cut back inside when he saw the direction Moss was headed in. And while it's easy to criticize Moss, Morse is badly beaten there. The idea behind the play was for Morse to actually hold his block, and he completely failed. 

He might have had a slight outside leverage on Brown but Brown had him blocked up nicely. No way he catches Moss if he goes outside. Morse did completely miss his block but there was a linebacker waiting in that gap even if that DL hadn't made the tackle.

I'm usually in the camp that the offensive line is a bigger problem, but on this particular play Moss could have had a touchdown or at least gotten close. Singletary or Breida probably bounce that one outside.

6 minutes ago, MPT said:

He might have had a slight outside leverage on Brown but Brown had him blocked up nicely. No way he catches Moss if he goes outside. Morse did completely miss his block but there was a linebacker waiting in that gap even if that DL hadn't made the tackle.

I'm usually in the camp that the offensive line is a bigger problem, but on this particular play Moss could have had a touchdown or at least gotten close. Singletary or Breida probably bounce that one outside.

Disagree on the Moss run.  Judon tackles Moss for a loss if he bounces it outside.  It’s kind of comparable to saying a WR is open after the man covering him has already reacted to the pass being thrown to somebody else.  A dynamic RB that has speed and power to break an arm tackle might have been able to score if they bounced it outside, but Bills don’t have one of those.  

11 minutes ago, MPT said:

I basically agree, although I do think that Judon might have prevented him from getting a TD. That said, he definitely would have gotten at least 3-4 yards.

The fundamental question is whether Brian Daboll is to the passing game as Greg Roman is to the running game.  

Brilliant in one aspect of a strategy, struggles to develop a well-designed comprehensive game plan, and when stressed, doubles down on what got them there.  

The Eagles don't have great running backs, an offensive line that is chronically injured and a QB that won't throw for 300 yards, yet they have been able to run the ball with purpose since changing their strategy.  

29 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Disagree on the Moss run.  Judon tackles Moss for a loss if he bounces it outside.  It’s kind of comparable to saying a WR is open after the man covering him has already reacted to the pass being thrown to somebody else.  A dynamic RB that has speed and power to break an arm tackle might have been able to score if they bounced it outside, but Bills don’t have one of those.  

Brett Kollman did a great breakdown of how NE stuffed the Rams in the Superbowl that's relevant.  If NE's DL win their blocks quickly enough, they will show a false leverage to the RB.  The RB reads the false leverage of the block and makes a cut to where a hole should open. Instead they end up cutting into the teeth of the defense as the DL sheds their blocks and LBs fill in.  I think that's what Judon was doing, but Moss always, always tries to get north and south ASAP regardless of what's happening.

On 12/7/2021 at 12:55 PM, Kellyhero68 said:

OLC Bobby Johnson needs to go along with every guard on the team. Sign one or two above average guards and draft at least two more. 

I tend to agree.

It's hard as a fan to know how good position coaches are.  But our OL was poor last year and more-or-less the same guys are even worse this year.  

FWIW, Johnson has coached for 26 years.  Being an OL coach is the most prestigious job he's ever had.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2021 at 2:10 PM, FireChans said:

Baldy just posted some plays on Twitter. The entire OL gets zero push. We lose double teams, LB’s beat down our OG’s, and we don’t move the LoS at all. 

Daboll calls HB dives because if we execute, we get 4 and if we don’t, we get 1 or 2. If you start running traps and counters and tosses and other slow developing run plays, we will get -4. I take 2nd and 9 over 2nd and 14 all day every day.

Team is fundamentally flawed. There is no one on the OL that should be safe next year. Maybe Spencer Brown.

This is an excellent point.   It is not Daboll's fault the line can't block worth a sh*t or the rbs have no vision.  If Moss cuts that run to the outside he walks in for the td.  That is on Beane.  

On 12/7/2021 at 10:47 AM, Nextmanup said:

I think I'd rather keep Daboll and get rid of McDermott, if there is a rift growing between them.

The future is passing, not running, and it has nothing to do with "toughness" whatsoever.

The future is a balanced offense and without one you're not going to succeed. Doesn't mean you can't throw it 65% of the time. Right now the top 5 issues this team needs to figure out is OL, OL, OL, OL & OL.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I think Rico is basically wrong :)

Cover 1 makes a pretty strong case that what Moss should have done was stick close to Morse but  to his L. 

I didn't believe this but after looking at people's blocking angles and what's going on, I understand their point.  I'm not sure it would have gotten him more, but it wouldn't have gotten him less, and if he were quick enough Morse had better leverage.  But I think Morse might have been beaten to either side.

Judon was going to be able to come off Brown and get Moss even quicker if he cut to the outside.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Cover 1 makes a pretty strong case that what Moss should have done was stick close to Morse but  to his L. 

I didn't believe this but after looking at people's blocking angles and what's going on, I understand their point.  I'm not sure it would have gotten him more, but it wouldn't have gotten him less, and if he were quick enough Morse had better leverage.  But I think Morse might have been beaten to either side.

Judon was going to be able to come off Brown and get Moss even quicker if he cut to the outside.

I personally think he gets some positive yardage there. Brown didn't have leverage, but he didn't completely whiff either like Morse. Point is, Brown would still have been a thorn in Judon's side if Moss had bounced it out. Morse was beaten so quickly that there was nothing there inside.

8 minutes ago, Gordio said:

This is an excellent point.   It is not Daboll's fault the line can't block worth a sh*t or the rbs have no vision.  If Moss cuts that run to the outside he walks in for the td.  That is on Beane.  

You are correct to an extent, however how correct will never be known.

When we signed Feliciano at became very well known that he was brought in because Bobby Johnson went to bat for him. They had worked together before and Johnson LOVED Feliciano. I find it rather hard to believe that Daboll gets zero say so on personal but Johnson did. 

For all we know Motor, Moss, the linemen...were all requested by Daboll. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If we had a bigger, more explosive back who hit the hole faster that's at least a 3 yard gain and it's 2nd & goal from the 3 which is a lot easier to deal with than from the 6. And if our bigger, stronger RB breaks a tackle it's a TD. And note all the Patriot eyeing Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I tend to agree.

It's hard as a fan to know how good position coaches are.  But our OL was poor last year and more-or-less the same guys are even worse this year.  

FWIW, Johnson has coached for 26 years.  Being an OL coach is the most prestigious job he's ever had. 

That last doesn't mean a thing. 

Dante Scarnecchia was an OL coach essentially his entire 49 year NFL career.  He was the Pats OL coach from 1999 to 2016 (he nominally retired in 2013 but continued to coach Pats OLmen on technique).  He was an amazing OL coach who managed to mold together scraps and baling wire and a couple of good players into a very good OL. 

Sometimes people do something for a long time because they're good at it.

But we have a problem here on OL, and I'm not sure how it's fixable.  The line seems worse than last season or the season before, with largely the same players and the adds (Spencer Brown, Williams) having seemed like additions at the time.

There are possibilities:

1) Johnson is a good coach, and is teaching proper technique and there are appropriate schemes.  The players aren't executing as well for some reason

a) too much is being asked of them - ambiguity of the RPOs, Josh Allen holding the ball too long waiting for a player to come open

b) mentally/physically Dawkins, Boettger and perhaps Williams are being impacted (Covid? It can have long term mental effects - and OL requires mental sharpness)

2) Johnson is a good coach, and is teaching proper technique, but the schemes are not as appropriate to the players' abilities.  Cover1 has pointed out that in 2019, with a more effective run game, we were predominantly a gap run team with a lot of pin and pull blocking and guys getting out in space, and we're now a zone run team. 

a) When it comes down to "man whupping man", our players get beat too often

b) We are using a lot of RPOs - and RPOs create ambiguity.  They are run blocking with an asterisk.  Furthermore, we predominantly pass out of RPOs - 80% of the time - so the OL needs to be especially mindful of that.

3) Johnson is a poor coach, and has either "lost the room" or is not enforcing proper technique, thus leading to guys not developing or regressing, getting pwned, false starts, and holding penalties

I feel that something is wrong, but I don't know what.  I know, I know, we need better OLmen .... but the fact is, we did better with pretty much the same OLmen in 2019

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

If we had a bigger, more explosive back who hit the hole faster that's at least a 3 yard gain and it's 2nd & goal from the 3 which is a lot easier to deal with than from the 6. And if our bigger, stronger RB breaks a tackle it's a TD. And note all the Patriot eyeing Allen.

This is true.  If Moss hit the hole more explosively (either side of Morse) he gets 2 or 3 yds and it's 2nd and goal from the 3 or 4.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2021 at 1:55 PM, Kellyhero68 said:

OLC Bobby Johnson needs to go along with every guard on the team. Sign one or two above average guards and draft at least two more. 

This times 1000. First figure out if you want maulers or pullers. Given how athletic DT's have become they better factor in athleticism when selecting guards. Slow, immobile and unathletic gets your QB killed. Chris Jones and Cam Heyward might still be chasing Josh.

Mix in a couple of 1 tech DT's while your at it.

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2021 at 12:44 PM, BuffaloBill said:

Is he blaming Daboll?   Or Bobby Johnson?  Or the players?  Or the guy who signed the players (Beane)?   Or himself for not getting more physicality out of his team?

It's not clear.

25 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Is he blaming Daboll?   Or Bobby Johnson?  Or the players?  Or the guy who signed the players (Beane)?   Or himself for not getting more physicality out of his team?

It's not clear.

Sounds like he’s saying his team ain’t tough enough to run the ball.  And the reason they ain’t tough enough is because they didn’t commit to running the ball earlier.  That points to Daboll to me.  

18 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Sounds like he’s saying his team ain’t tough enough to run the ball.  And the reason they ain’t tough enough is because they didn’t commit to running the ball earlier.  That points to Daboll to me.  

Brian Daboll to the passing offense is like what Greg Roman was to the running offense.

Just keep passing, just keep passing...

I still have difficulty understanding why this OC can't figure out how to defeat a cover 2 shell defense. Something he should have done in the second half of the very first game the Bills saw it. Half the season gone and he is still having trouble with it. 

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

If your RB has a 1 on 1 vs a d-linemen, that’s about as good of a “win” as you can get.

You take the 1 on 1 all day, every day.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:42 AM, No Place To Hyde said:

You are correct to an extent, however how correct will never be known.

When we signed Feliciano at became very well known that he was brought in because Bobby Johnson went to bat for him. They had worked together before and Johnson LOVED Feliciano. I find it rather hard to believe that Daboll gets zero say so on personal but Johnson did. 

For all we know Motor, Moss, the linemen...were all requested by Daboll. 

What was Moss even doing in the game at that point when it was pretty clear he was our third best rb that night.  

On 12/9/2021 at 3:53 PM, Nihilarian said:

Brian Daboll to the passing offense is like what Greg Roman was to the running offense.

Just keep passing, just keep passing...

I still have difficulty understanding why this OC can't figure out how to defeat a cover 2 shell defense. Something he should have done in the second half of the very first game the Bills saw it. Half the season gone and he is still having trouble with it. 

I don't think it is Daboll who struggles with that.   It is Allen who struggles to make decisions when facing that defense.   Allen struggles because he is persistently looking for that deep ball first which is taken away at the snap because you have an extra defender defending each half of the field.   It begs you to run the ball and throw quick short passes and execute 12 + play drives for touchdowns.   The Bills have proven to be bad at that.   They don't execute short yardage plays well enough and consistently enough to do that.      Cover 2 combined with a high pressure pass rush is Allen's Kryptonite.

17 hours ago, PolishDave said:

I don't think it is Daboll who struggles with that.   It is Allen who struggles to make decisions when facing that defense.   Allen struggles because he is persistently looking for that deep ball first which is taken away at the snap because you have an extra defender defending each half of the field.   It begs you to run the ball and throw quick short passes and execute 12 + play drives for touchdowns.   The Bills have proven to be bad at that.   They don't execute short yardage plays well enough and consistently enough to do that.      Cover 2 combined with a high pressure pass rush is Allen's Kryptonite.

While I do agree that a heavy pass rush has been Allen's Kryptonite... since 2018 in his very first game against the Ravens. Baltimore dialed up the blitz and neither he, nor Peterman had an answer for it.

About that first 2018 game, a 3-47 loss with Bills QB's getting sacked 6x. Nathan Peterman played 3 quarters and went 5 of 18 for 24 yards, 2 INTs, 3x sacks. That final INT went for a Ravens TD. 11:22 to go in the 3rd quarter. 

First play was RB Murphy off RG for 3 yards, Allen's very first pass was deep right for Zay Jones, incomplete! Third play of that drive was a sack -4 yards. 

Even Peterman was attempting some long throws in this game. 

Now, why in the world would these two QB's be throwing deep at any point in this game given the tremendous pass rush by the Ravens? 

The very first series of this game the Ravens scored!  Peterman came in and threw 2 short passes and on 3rd and 11 he got his first sack attempting his third down pass. 

This whole thing tells me a few things. First off, QB Nathan Peterman was no where near ready to start that game at QB for Buffalo, and yet he got the start! The team had no veteran QB on roster other then the guy who had started two games in 2017. 

Second, it tells me that this OC had no clue about the defense his offense was facing or how to defeat it with two young QBs, one a rookie and the other very limited game experience.

The Bills RB's in this game were Marcus Murphy (6 rushes for 31) yards and LeSean McCoy

(7 rushes for 22 yards) Chris Ivory (3 rushes for 3 yards) a total of 16 rush attempts by the Bills RBs this day. Peterman had one rush for one yard. Allen went 4 for 26.

This entire game is a harbinger of what's to come for the Buffalo Bills. It tells me that Bills OC Brian Daboll had no clue about his QBs. This also says that his game plan stunk from the start. The Bills couldn't run... 16 rushes for 59 yards by the RBs. 33 pass attempts by QB's who were always under extreme duress from a fierce Ravens pass rush. 

You seem to think that Allen has autonomy out on the field and does whatever he wants. He doesn't, and no QB in the current NFL calls their own plays AFAIK. 

This Bills OC has been setting up his offense with mid to deep pass plays that don't work very well against a heavy rush. Those plays take 3-5-7 second drop backs for them to develop properly and the QB simply doesn't have that time in the pocket. 

This crap has been going on for forever with Daboll. In 2019 against the Ravens, Allen sacked 6x while attempting 39 passes. This OC is going to run his offense and it's all on the QB to make it work! 

"" It begs you to run the ball and throw quick short passes and execute 12 + play drives for touchdowns. ""

Isn't this the New England playbook year after year with Tom Brady, and now with Mac Jones? Power run game, move the chains again and again get to the red zone and score. 

In my view this is all on the Buffalo offensive coordinator who fails to build a decent ground game and puts everything on the QB. His offense calls for a lot of mid to deep passes regardless of the defense the team is facing. 

Allen made Daboll and not the other way around! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.