Jump to content

Did McDermott all but admit there will be coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball?


BuffaloBill
 Share

Recommended Posts

“We’re gonna try our darndest to fix it. It’s tough. I’m not gonna sit up here and lie to you guys. To fix that part of your game this time of year is tough,” he said. “That’s why we try like heck to do it in training camp. That’s where you develop the toughness of the football team. That’s why we run the football in training camp.”

 

Sean McDermott quoted by Matt Parrino 

 

Clearly, he is not very happy with what Bobby Johnson and Brian Dabol have done with the run game.  To me this is an astounding statement from a head coach who was supposedly going to make a Super Bowl appearance this year.  

 

It would seem almost obvious that Johnson is as good as gone at the end of the year and Dabol may also be very much on the hot seat. What a change given Dabol was to be heading towards a HC’ing job at the end of this season. 

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think I'd rather keep Daboll and get rid of McDermott, if there is a rift growing between them.

 

The future is passing, not running, and it has nothing to do with "toughness" whatsoever.

 

 


go watch the Pittsburgh game week 1…. That’s what happens when defenses play the pass and dare your team to the run the football.  

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think I'd rather keep Daboll and get rid of McDermott, if there is a rift growing between them.

 

The future is passing, not running, and it has nothing to do with "toughness" whatsoever.

 

 


No, just no. You keep McD and replace Daboll. 
 

If Daboll doesn’t have Josh then he’s a trash OC. 

  • Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

didnt Dorsey get promoted to passing game coach-coord ?  or not ?  Meaning Daboll has the run game ?  reading Joe B (athletic) this morning he talks this thru extensively and while he expects McD to give Daboll past this season to fix it,  I am sure that plan will have to pass-fail with McD...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was praying Daboll was going to get picked up as a HC last year...he has an occasional well called game, but they are few and far between.  Those that don't think you need a run game are delusional and have not been paying attention this year.  You need to force the defense to defend the ENTIRE field to be successful on offense.  Josh can't do it all himself...a run game would take some of the pressure off...

  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think I'd rather keep Daboll and get rid of McDermott, if there is a rift growing between them.

 

The future is passing, not running, and it has nothing to do with "toughness" whatsoever.

 

 


Daboll was pretty much a nothing OC before Josh. Josh makes Daboll, not other way around. 

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There better be changes after what’s gone on this season.  Too many coaches and players that aren’t championship caliber.  It’s never 1 play or 1 player away.  It’s everyone in the organization.  Is McDermott the guy capable of identifying who’s JV and who’s championship caliber?  Because right now we are a sloppy mess when it counts.  0-4 in one score games this year.  

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, atomicpwrd said:

I was praying Daboll was going to get picked up as a HC last year...he has an occasional well called game, but they are few and far between.  Those that don't think you need a run game are delusional and have not been paying attention this year.  You need to force the defense to defend the ENTIRE field to be successful on offense.  Josh can't do it all himself...a run game would take some of the pressure off...

I see this a lot all over this board.

 

Why can't he?  All the great QBs do it all by themselves, consistently, game to game, for years.

 

Brady has been doing it for 2 decades.

 

If Josh hits the wide open man, a handful of times last night when it mattered, we easily win the game.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

What if Josh says he wants Daboll?

 

I think this is a very prevalent question. 

 

Personally if McDermott wants to ask questions about the run game the first person he should be asking is his buddy in the GM chair. We lead the league in running back fumbles. All three of those players we brought in by Beane. Our interior line couldn't push cotton candy. They were all acquired by Beane. I put the redzone struggles somewhat at Daboll's door. It is something he has been good at the past two years but a combination of teams keying in on tendencies and some odd choices of calls at times have hurt them (though so has execution). 

 

The struggles in the run game...... IT. IS. PERSONNEL. If anyone thinks swapping out an OL coach or an OC but running it back with these players would change anything they are kidding themselves. The run game wasn't good last year when our offense was breaking records. Was it still the OC and the OL coach's fault then? Or is it two years of the same average and poor players on the interior of the offensive line and the average to below average running backs. 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GunnerBill said:

 

I think this is a very prevalent question. 

 

Personally if McDermott wants to ask questions about the run game the first person he should be asking is his buddy in the GM chair. We lead the league in running back fumbles. All three of those players we brought in by Beane. Our interior line couldn't push cotton candy. They were all acquired by Beane. I put the redzone struggles somewhat at Daboll's door. It is something he has been good at the past two years but a combination of teams keying in on tendencies and some odd choices of calls at times have hurt them (though so has execution). 

 

The struggles in the run game...... IT. IS. PERSONNEL. If anyone thinks swapping out an OL coach or an OC but running it back with these players would change anything they are kidding themselves. The run game wasn't good last year when our offense was breaking records. Was it still the OC and the OL coach's fault then? Or is it two years of the same average and poor players on the interior of the offensive line and the average to below average running backs. 

 

 

Baldy just posted some plays on Twitter. The entire OL gets zero push. We lose double teams, LB’s beat down our OG’s, and we don’t move the LoS at all. 
 

Daboll calls HB dives because if we execute, we get 4 and if we don’t, we get 1 or 2. If you start running traps and counters and tosses and other slow developing run plays, we will get -4. I take 2nd and 9 over 2nd and 14 all day every day.

 

Team is fundamentally flawed. There is no one on the OL that should be safe next year. Maybe Spencer Brown.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

 

If Josh hits the wide open man, a handful of times last night when it mattered, we easily win the game.

 

I think there are weeks this year when this board has given Josh an undeserved pass when he has been part of the problem. But last night Josh Allen was excellent. One poor sack aside he played an excellent game. If Dawson Knox catches either of the third down conversions that hit him right in the hands, or Diggs catches a touchdown that for a player of his ability is a gimme or Brieda manages to take a routine handoff, or Knox manages not to false start..... 

 

This was not on Josh. 

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Baldy just posted some plays on Twitter. The entire OL gets zero push. We lose double teams, LB’s beat down our OG’s, and we don’t move the LoS at all. 
 

Daboll calls HB dives because if we execute, we get 4 and if we don’t, we get 1 or 2. If you start running traps and counters and tosses and other slow developing run plays, we will get -4. I take 2nd and 9 over 2nd and 14 all day every day.

 

Team is fundamentally flawed. There is no one on the OL that should be safe next year. Maybe Spencer Brown.

 

Amen. 

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If McDermott tries and turn this team into a tough running team he will be signing his own pink slip.

If we don’t find a way to get some balance that’s when he will lose this thing. We need to be able to run the ball. Wether or not it’s popular, it’s right. I think McDermott realizes it. I just don’t know if Daboll is capable of executing it.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If McDermott tries and turn this team into a tough running team he will be signing his own pink slip.

Seriously… guy needs to stick to what he knows(defense). The offense should run through Allen… they need to be more effective running the ball not become a run dominate team. 

  • Like (+1) 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...