Did McDermott all but admit there will be coaching changes on the offensive side of the ball?

BuffaloBill

42 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think I'd rather keep Daboll and get rid of McDermott, if there is a rift growing between them.

The future is passing, not running, and it has nothing to do with "toughness" whatsoever.

It absolutely is toughness. Look at the key plays last night

Knox dropping that 4th down conversion bring out muscled and TD for the same reason
each RB gets hit and usually the pile moves back unlike the Pats RBs they’d get hit and move forward for a few more yards each time. The difference is noticeable when you look at these details. I’ve never thought this bills D as tough. Never. Stats be dammed. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If we don’t find a way to get some balance that’s when he will lose this thing. We need to be able to run the ball. Wether or not it’s popular, it’s right. I think McDermott realizes it. I just don’t know if Daboll is capable of executing it.

How balanced were Patriots last night?  I always love how you only have to be balanced if you don’t run enough, but never if you don’t pass enough.

You don’t have to be balanced, you have to run successfully enough that teams have to at least respect it.  We don’t have a single decent NFL level RB, and an Oline that can’t run block.  That is on BB and McD not Daboll.

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Billsflyer12 said:

How balanced were Patriots last night?  I always love how you only have to be balanced if you don’t run enough, but never if you don’t pass enough.

You don’t have to be balanced, you have to run successfully enough that teams have to at least respect it.  We don’t have a single decent NFL level RB, and an Oline that can’t run block.

They can't pass block either.  Allen makes their stats look better than they really are.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think I'd rather keep Daboll and get rid of McDermott, if there is a rift growing between them.

The future is passing, not running, and it has nothing to do with "toughness" whatsoever.

Whoever is pushing for more Zack Moss in the Red Zone, that's the guy I want less. 

The guy who is benching Isaiah McKenzie, that's the guy I want less. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

“We’re gonna try our darndest to fix it. It’s tough. I’m not gonna sit up here and lie to you guys. To fix that part of your game this time of year is tough,” he said. “That’s why we try like heck to do it in training camp. That’s where you develop the toughness of the football team. That’s why we run the football in training camp.”

Sean McDermott quoted by Matt Parrino 

Clearly, he is not very happy with what Bobby Johnson and Brian Dabol have done with the run game.  To me this is an astounding statement from a head coach who was supposedly going to make a Super Bowl appearance this year.  

It would seem almost obvious that Johnson is as good as gone at the end of the year and Dabol may also be very much on the hot seat. What a change given Dabol was to be heading towards a HC’ing job at the end of this season. 

Thanks for the info.

Johnson has been talked about lately and it seems he truly may be on the way out.

If you look at some OL players they seem to have regressed and not improved.

As to some of the "hot takes" I just want to laugh.

Mcdermott is not going anywhere nor should he.

Good grief.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

There’s no question McDermott was al about running the ball with the wind…his halftime comments say as much. 

1st and Goal from the 6 yard line. Give the ball to Moss. We all know what's going to happen, he gets 0 yards. 

1st and 10 from the 13 yard line. Give the ball to Singletary. He gets 1 yard. 

No Josh Allen designed runs in the Red Zone, when the guy has 28 career TDs. And Josh should be at the point where he should audible out of those garbage play calls anyways. 

McDermott is in la-la land thinking that running works with this team, and that "toughness" equates to winning. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

“We’re gonna try our darndest to fix it. It’s tough. I’m not gonna sit up here and lie to you guys. To fix that part of your game this time of year is tough,” he said. “That’s why we try like heck to do it in training camp. That’s where you develop the toughness of the football team. That’s why we run the football in training camp.”

Sean McDermott quoted by Matt Parrino 

Clearly, he is not very happy with what Bobby Johnson and Brian Dabol have done with the run game.  To me this is an astounding statement from a head coach who was supposedly going to make a Super Bowl appearance this year.  

It would seem almost obvious that Johnson is as good as gone at the end of the year and Dabol may also be very much on the hot seat. What a change given Dabol was to be heading towards a HC’ing job at the end of this season. 

I took his comments to reference the players, not the coaches.  The question was about not being tough enough and getting beat in these types of games.  When he said it was tough, that's because we are past the trade deadline and there really aren't any contributing FA's out there. 

I expect some pretty significant changes in the offseason. 

But hey, I could be wrong and it would be all about Dabol

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I see this a lot all over this board.

Why can't he?  All the great QBs do it all by themselves, consistently, game to game, for years.

Brady has been doing it for 2 decades.

If Josh hits the wide open man, a handful of times last night when it mattered, we easily win the game.

The other team didnt allow the Qb to throw at all because of the wind.  For what it was Josh did a heck of a job, no one outside stepped up and made a play.  Diggs catches that deep pass Buffalo very well wins. Alot of ifs.  Gotta make the plays.  Last year guys stepped up and made plays in tight spots.  This year not so much. 

• Like (+1) 1

At this point, this team is going nowhere, and if by some unlikely turn of events they squeak into the playoffs, it'll probably look more like last night than anything Bills fans would enjoy

If that's the path of keeping the status quo, what are the options?  I'll start the list with my thoughts but interested in what others have to say on this as well

1) Double down on run game.  Call more running plays, even when it's not working in the hope that we finally break one.  This seems dumb to me because we dont have the scheme or the personnel to run the ball

2) Never mind the run, go back to Allen passing on 90% of the plays with the same playbook otherwise, perhaps adding some more dinking and dunking since the OL cant pass protect worth a damn

3) Let Allen start calling his own plays a la Jim Kelly.  If he wants to run it 5 or 10 times a game, and he's moving the chains, maybe we let him.  If he can loosen up defenses maybe the passing attack from last year can make a return?  This is the way I'd like to see it go, but I'm generally regarded as an idiot so maybe not

• Like (+1) 1

The Colts run the ball 20 to 32 times in ONE game with RB Johnathan Taylor. That 32 times was against Buffalo. Funny thing, that when the Colts Taylor doesn't run more than 14 times they usually lose. 

The Buffalo Bills Devin Singletary runs between 3 carries and 15 each game...and that lone 15 game carry was a WIN against the Saints. His carries for the season 10-15-3-7-6-7-5-6-14-11-13-11. The 14 carry was a win. The 13 carry was also a win.

Most of the time the Bills simply don't run the ball enough by one back to have him be effective in a game. Tough for me to blame the RBs when they don't see the ball enough each game. The Bills QB looks to be the teams leading rusher all too often. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

A dynamic every down back and a new interior line would change quite a bit.   Our three running backs combined (Devin's shiftiness, Moss' "toughness" and Breida's speed) barely add up to a good NFL starter.  And we don't have a single guy who looks natural catching the ball out of the backfield.  Even if the o-line sucks, just having a real third down back type would make a world of difference at the moment.  It's really frustrating to watch and unfortunately there is nothing to be done about it until the offseason.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

The Colts run the ball 20 to 32 times in ONE game with RB Johnathan Taylor. That 32 times was against Buffalo. Funny thing, that when the Colts Taylor doesn't run more than 14 times they usually lose. 

The Buffalo Bills Devin Singletary runs between 3 carries and 15 each game...and that lone 15 game carry was a WIN against the Saints. His carries for the season 10-15-3-7-6-7-5-6-14-11-13-11. The 14 carry was a win. The 13 carry was also a win.

Most of the time the Bills simply don't run the ball enough by one back to have him be effective in a game. Tough for me to blame the RBs when they don't see the ball enough each game. The Bills QB looks to be the teams leading rusher all too often. 

That's nice and all, but we get zero push and Singletary/Moss aren't the type of dynamic athletes that can conjure up yards out of thin air like a prime Shady McCoy could do.  If we try to run it 30 times against a decent front seven, you'll be looking at a 3-and-out rate north of 50% and a lot of exasperated fans and players (even more than what we're seeing now).  The commitment needs to be made in the offseason.  Nothing to be done at this point other than scheming some tricky stuff to hopefully break open the odd 15-20 yard rush.

3 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Whoever is the RBs coach can go too.  Our RBs run the ball into our linemen so much it's got to be coached into them to dive back inside.  Either that or they can't read their blocks.

Our RBs suck, but in their defense, on about half of their carries they've got an interior o-lineman grinding up against their crotch by the time they secure the handoff.

1 minute ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Whoever is the RBs coach can go too.  Our RBs run the ball into our linemen so much it's got to be coached into them to dive back inside.  Either that or they can't read their blocks.

I swear you are spot on with that assessment!!!!

It is maddening how many times Singletary has run away from the nearest hole or crease and back into the pile. I have commented on this multiple times. 
    I really hadn’t considered it was the coach telling them to but at some point instinct should take over. 
    This HAS to be fixed in the off-season.

Josh with time and a credible running attack is EVERY DC’s nightmare 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is a very prevalent question. 

Personally if McDermott wants to ask questions about the run game the first person he should be asking is his buddy in the GM chair. We lead the league in running back fumbles. All three of those players we brought in by Beane. Our interior line couldn't push cotton candy. They were all acquired by Beane. I put the redzone struggles somewhat at Daboll's door. It is something he has been good at the past two years but a combination of teams keying in on tendencies and some odd choices of calls at times have hurt them (though so has execution). 

The struggles in the run game...... IT. IS. PERSONNEL. If anyone thinks swapping out an OL coach or an OC but running it back with these players would change anything they are kidding themselves. The run game wasn't good last year when our offense was breaking records. Was it still the OC and the OL coach's fault then? Or is it two years of the same average and poor players on the interior of the offensive line and the average to below average running backs. 

It's astounding how far their OL has fallen off of a cliff from last year.

I knew they were middling in the middle.........but they have gone from that to terrible this season.    Feliciano has been a bust after losing a bunch of weight and apparently power and then getting injured again.   Boettger went from promising long term backup type to garbage.   And I have long been critical of him, but can't even believe how Cody Ford has managed to regress.

And the tackles..........Williams has been atrocious at RT after being excellent there last season.    I could see a drop-off but this can only be explained by a lack of preparation and want-to.

The other tackles:   Dawkins f*cked around and ended up nearly dying from Covid and has subsequently been a weakened and inconsistent version of himself.    Then Brown misses games after passing on the vax. :doh:

The OL is a prime example of what can happen when you promise love and trust in a sport that has survived on fear and accountability as the primary motivators for all of its existence.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.