Mashups of my thoughts after this game, losing confidence in the coaching.

MAJBobby

I havent rally made a thread about a game at all this season, and while I have commented in a couple places about my thoughts, this game really sticks with me, even more than the Tenn or Even the Jax game mainly because it did push me finally to losing confidence in the coaching staff, I will address each.  I will start off with yes if there was better execution even with this gameplan and spineless coaching Bills would have won, Knox drops, Diggs Drop comes to mind.   

Let me start with McD:

I just think he has regressed this year.  I thought about all his talk in the offseason about running, and needing to be more balanced, and got worried that we would see McConservative again, and that is exactly what I have started to see this season.  But I will point out a couple things.  He coached scared, not to lose, spineless, whatever you want to call it.  When you allowed Josh to throw it finally in the 4th QTR (mind you against the wind) he was still effective, Almost like you said the reasons you drafted him was for games like this.  When you talk before halftime with a statement like "we need to run better, we cannot rely on Allen's arm" or something along those lines tells me all i need to hear.  You have a Stud QB and you want to take the ball out of his hands.  That is inexcusable, people ask about the Bills identity on offense, it is the same as it was last year, the offense runs through Allen.  To make that offense run through him while putting handcuffs on him is inexcusable.  This teams identity is muddled because the HC made it that way.  He coached scared the entire game, a couple things on that: If you were so scared of the wind, why not call more timeouts, run the no huddle and maximize your time with the wind?  Why is it that too many times this year have we waited until after the half or even the 4th (while behind) have we seen the Bills say screw it we are throwing all over (like last year).  The team was Built to still run the offense they are built for in all conditions, but the coaching staff gets scared in bad weather.  That is on McD.  Also all the stuff I will say with Fraiser and Daboll are also on McD as he is the HC and the buck stops with him on everything coaching.   Oooo also your player management this season has SUCKED.  Inexcusable you have McKenzie AND Stevenson inactive (man that speed on misdirection and in the passing game would have been nice on a questionable footing day).  This far into the season and Davis is still playing only spot duty and blocks more than he is in routes, Sweeney playing at all.  Why is it Sean that we insist on playing the other teams game and not our own?  

Daboll:

I was giving you a pass for the most part partly because i know the HC has gone back into conservatives mod this season, and also because of your personal tragedies, but *****.  My biggest complaint with you is where is your creativity anymore, I am sick of Moss, Brieda or Singletary running right into the Backs of OGs all game long, there is absolutely zero creativity in your run game.  Actually all your creativity in the offense is gone.  In a game like this why isn't there more run Calls with Allen?  Speaking of that where have the Run calls with Allen gone in the red zone.  There is a reason he sits alone in the NFL being the first QB with 90+ Passing TDs and 25+ rushing TDs in his first 4 season.  You take a weapon away from the Bills in the redzone with your predictability and again those runs over the OGs.  TBH I am ready for you to move on to a HC job already.  You got all these weapons on the outside, went and got Sanders and the offense playcalling has regressed.  

Fraizer:

Though you have been getting pretty high praise at times this season you should with all those high end picks on that defense.  However it was clear last night the Pats were not going to throw the ball why not bring a 5th DL on the field?  I also know the defense has gotten fat on BU QBs and bad football teams.  Still cannot control the run game, and to be honest I do not put that all on you because easiest way to get a team out of running it all day long is SCORE.  I still am not 100% sure if this is your defense or McDs, but I will also say at this point it is the least of the problems, just this game really irked me because the Patriots were not going to pass they didnt want to expose "Mr ROTY" to some wind, on a side note, that tells me a TON about what patriots think of Jones.

This game would have been over easily and we would be talking about a Win and back in the Lead of the AFCE if McD and Daboll didnt coach like spineless cowards.  If the entire game was like the 4th we win this game by two scores.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

The GM, OC and HC are not on the same page.  They don’t have a coherent vision for what the offense should look like, how best to build out the line and running game, when and how to lean on Allen (who despite being erratic was still the best athlete on the field last night), and what kind of running game to have.  These problems should’ve been solved in the offseason but they weren’t, and you can see the uncertainty on game day.  The Patriots have a clear vision for how they want to present on offense and defense and they execute it.  The Bills, at least on offense, lack a clear vision - Daboll does a little bit of everything but nothing particularly well. It’s telling that on 4th and long with the division on the line they don’t even have a core, trusted play to fall back on.  

Not a good season of executive leadership from Beane and McDermott, two guys who were handsomely rewarded for early success and may be coasting a bit.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Daboll:

I was giving you a pass for the most part partly because i know the HC has gone back into conservatives mod this season, and also because of your personal tragedies, but *****.  My biggest complaint with you is where is your creativity anymore, I am sick of Moss, Brieda or Singletary running right into the Backs of OGs all game long, there is absolutely zero creativity in your run game.  Actually all your creativity in the offense is gone.  In a game like this why isn't there more run Calls with Allen?  Speaking of that where have the Run calls with Allen gone in the red zone.  There is a reason he sits alone in the NFL being the first QB with 90+ Passing TDs and 25+ rushing TDs in his first 4 season.  You take a weapon away from the Bills in the redzone with your predictability and again those runs over the OGs.  TBH I am ready for you to move on to a HC job already.  You got all these weapons on the outside, went and got Sanders and the offense playcalling has regressed. 

This is the most tired narrative in sports.  Play calling barely matters.  If there was ever a game that proved it, it was this one.  McDaniels ran the same 4 plays over and over and over.  The Bills didn’t lose because they called better plays.  They lost because they didn’t execute.  Diggs lost track of a sure TD.  Knox dropped balls like it was a paying job.  The defense got gashed one a play that went 70 yards.  Bass missed a short FG.  Brieda somehow tried to take a handoff without using his hands.  Play calling doesn’t change that.

Last night was about discipline and mental toughness, not creativity.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

so first of all, yes 100% the buck stops at the head man in charge, and that's the clappy one.

i think the case for daboll being good, or even above average, as an nfl OC is simply flimsy.  he had trash numbers his first couple of years, and good numbers last year and this year, but that's on the back of allen and diggs just being much better than other players.  he can't scheme up something creative to get us tds with multiple trips in the redzone, and every fan and the entire d of the opponents knows exactly what trash gut run or obvious forced short pass we are doing on way way too many downs.  we put ourselves behind the sticks, and beg allen to cast a magic spell.

so ya, mcclaps leaves me with a lot to be desired, but daboll is the weakest link (honorable mention to our just bottom of the barrel dirty cheeks trash OL coaching too).

1 minute ago, Billl said:

This is the most tired narrative in sports.  Play calling barely matters.  If there was ever a game that proved it, it was this one.  McDaniels ran the same 4 plays over and over and over.  The Bills didn’t lose because they called better plays.  They lost because they didn’t execute.  Diggs lost track of a sure TD.  Knox dropped balls like it was a paying job.  The defense got gashed one a play that went 70 yards.  Bass missed a short FG.  Brieda somehow tried to take a handoff without using his hands.  Play calling doesn’t change that.

It does, though, when you're refusing to use your best weapons. This can be Josh's rushing ability in the red zone, gadget plays with McKenzie, screens or tosses to get Breida in space, and so on. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

My opinion is this they were out coached. Belichick does nothing fancy the bills decided not take the wind in the 4th quarter after they won the toss that is on McDermott. He has done a nice job building this team and changing the culture. I start to ask myself is this the farthest he can take this team an organization. This bills lost bc they played the patriots game. They always do. They will lose to Tampa and will more than likely miss the playoffs. I agree I would have ran a ton of 5 to 6 man fronts last night to make the pats throw. I give McDermott one more year if it is like this again it’s truly time to move on. 

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

It does, though, when you're refusing to use your best weapons. This can be Josh's rushing ability in the red zone, gadget plays with McKenzie, screens or tosses to get Breida in space, and so on. 

Josh running in the red zone, sure.  The rest I just can’t disagree with strongly enough.  You don’t run gadget plays in a tornado, and no NFL game has ever been lost because Matt freaking Breida didn’t get enough touches.

All Buffalo had to do was not beat themselves.  New England made 2 big mistakes.  Buffalo made more.  BB was perfectly content to turn the game into a rock fight and dare Buffalo to execute.

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

I can say the same, your entire paragraph is the tired narrative coach speak.  How about play YOUR Football game, let me ask you How many misdirection plays called last night in a bad footing game?  How many designed QB runs in the RedZone (this year and last night)?  How about calling a game in line with your players Skills?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I can say the same, your entire paragraph is the tired narrative coach speak.  How about play YOUR Football game, let me ask you How many misdirection plays called last night in a bad footing game?  How many designed QB runs in the RedZone (this year and last night)?  How about calling a game in line with your players Skills?

Like calling a deep shot to Diggs only to have it bounce off his forearm?  Like calling pass plays to get Knox open only to have him crap all over himself?  Daboll’s play calls, bland as they may have been, were infinitely more creative than McDaniels’s.  

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

Like calling a deep shot to Diggs only to have it bounce off his forearm?  Like calling pass plays to get Knox open only to have him crap all over himself?  Daboll’s play calls, bland as they may have been, were infinitely more creative than McDaniels’s.  

Again point to me the Jet Sweeps, and Allen Runs in the Redzone, you know things that in 2020 made this one of the better Redzone teams in the NFL, now we are one of the worst.  It is ok Mrs Daboll he isnt getting fired, however I wont cry is he leaves in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Billl said:

I think it was a mix of both.  Yes, execution was - yet again - an issue.  However, there is merit to wonder why we drafted Allen to be able to throw the ball in all conditions and then played the Patriots game until the 4th Quarter desperation mode...at which point we found out that, yes, Allen CAN throw the ball in any conditions.  

Also, Daboll basically gives us 2 downs to score a TD in the red zone when he feels the need to constantly waste a run play on zero vision Zack Moss every time.  

No Allen runs and no McKenzie/Stevenson active for jet sweep action, even if to just slow the reaction time of NE a split second on run plays?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Billl said:

I hate to agree with you, but when You're Right, You're Right.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not running Allen more is kind of like when Mickey had Rocky fight right handed to throw off Apollo, except we forgot to switch back to our strength, which is unleashing Allen in the run game.  This entire season's failures fall directly on coaching.  Other coaches game plans aren't beating us, we're beating ourselves.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Gisele said:

Not running Allen more is kind of like when Mickey had Rocky fight right handed to throw off Apollo, except we forgot to switch back to our strength, which is unleashing Allen in the run game.  This entire season's failures fall directly on coaching.  Other coaches game plans aren't beating us, we're beating ourselves.  

I thought for awhile they were trying to put video down of some bland BS to save up the best for NE and the playoff stretch. Maybe they did, and couldn't do much to change it last night because of the weather. If that were the case, it might also explain a certain arrogance & lack of focus from the team - if they're being asked to win while hamstrung, maybe they would take that as a sign they don't need to take these games seriously.

Edited by pocoboy

57 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The GM, OC and HC are not on the same page.  They don’t have a coherent vision for what the offense should look like, how best to build out the line and running game, when and how to lean on Allen (who despite being erratic was still the best athlete on the field last night), and what kind of running game to have.  These problems should’ve been solved in the offseason but they weren’t, and you can see the uncertainty on game day.  The Patriots have a clear vision for how they want to present on offense and defense and they execute it.  The Bills, at least on offense, lack a clear vision - Daboll does a little bit of everything but nothing particularly well. It’s telling that on 4th and long with the division on the line they don’t even have a core, trusted play to fall back on.  

Not a good season of executive leadership from Beane and McDermott, two guys who were handsomely rewarded for early success and may be coasting a bit.

I see a HC who drives the strategy for this team, but refuses to evolve even with a franchise QB on the roster.  After 80+ games as a NFL HC, McD is still trying to balance defense with offense and seems scared of anything else.    

Agree that right now there's a huge disconnect between the HC and OC...which is concerning because after 4 seasons together you'd think they'd be in lock step.  I attribute that to my first point: McD cannot evolve and is stubborn to a fault.  I've been waiting for him to be bold in a big game, but unless he gets a lead, they go into their risk-avoidance decision making.  At the same time, Daboll loses himself in-game and McD probably thinks he needs to keep him on a leash.  

Also agree with the alignment with Beane, who needs to man up and tell McD that it's time to go all in on Allen and stop this nonsense of needing every piece on defense.  The highly paid LBs and depth DL aren't providing the value in the way better interior OL or better TE would.  This team wins or dies with Allen, but McD hasn't gotten the memo yet.  I don't think he ever will and the ceiling will be lower than we want.   

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I havent rally made a thread about a game at all this season, and while I have commented in a couple places about my thoughts, this game really sticks with me, even more than the Tenn or Even the Jax game mainly because it did push me finally to losing confidence in the coaching staff, I will address each.  I will start off with yes if there was better execution even with this gameplan and spineless coaching Bills would have won, Knox drops, Diggs Drop comes to mind.   

Let me start with McD:

I just think he has regressed this year.  I thought about all his talk in the offseason about running, and needing to be more balanced, and got worried that we would see McConservative again, and that is exactly what I have started to see this season.  But I will point out a couple things.  He coached scared, not to lose, spineless, whatever you want to call it.  When you allowed Josh to throw it finally in the 4th QTR (mind you against the wind) he was still effective, Almost like you said the reasons you drafted him was for games like this.  When you talk before halftime with a statement like "we need to run better, we cannot rely on Allen's arm" or something along those lines tells me all i need to hear.  You have a Stud QB and you want to take the ball out of his hands.  That is inexcusable, people ask about the Bills identity on offense, it is the same as it was last year, the offense runs through Allen.  To make that offense run through him while putting handcuffs on him is inexcusable.  This teams identity is muddled because the HC made it that way.  He coached scared the entire game, a couple things on that: If you were so scared of the wind, why not call more timeouts, run the no huddle and maximize your time with the wind?  Why is it that too many times this year have we waited until after the half or even the 4th (while behind) have we seen the Bills say screw it we are throwing all over (like last year).  The team was Built to still run the offense they are built for in all conditions, but the coaching staff gets scared in bad weather.  That is on McD.  Also all the stuff I will say with Fraiser and Daboll are also on McD as he is the HC and the buck stops with him on everything coaching.   Oooo also your player management this season has SUCKED.  Inexcusable you have McKenzie AND Stevenson inactive (man that speed on misdirection and in the passing game would have been nice on a questionable footing day).  This far into the season and Davis is still playing only spot duty and blocks more than he is in routes, Sweeney playing at all.  Why is it Sean that we insist on playing the other teams game and not our own?  

Daboll:

Fraizer:

Though you have been getting pretty high praise at times this season you should with all those high end picks on that defense.  However it was clear last night the Pats were not going to throw the ball why not bring a 5th DL on the field?  I also know the defense has gotten fat on BU QBs and bad football teams.  Still cannot control the run game, and to be honest I do not put that all on you because easiest way to get a team out of running it all day long is SCORE.  I still am not 100% sure if this is your defense or McDs, but I will also say at this point it is the least of the problems, just this game really irked me because the Patriots were not going to pass they didnt want to expose "Mr ROTY" to some wind, on a side note, that tells me a TON about what patriots think of Jones.

This game would have been over easily and we would be talking about a Win and back in the Lead of the AFCE if McD and Daboll didnt coach like spineless cowards.  If the entire game was like the 4th we win this game by two scores.

It's typical coaches. They ride and die with their schemes and refuse to adjust. It's the inevitable downfall of every failed coach in the league. 

If fans want to look myopically for a reason to put all the blame on the Bills record on the coaches, they can find reasons to do so.

In reality if a fan wants to look for a single reason for blame, they can.  It won't be true but that's just human nature.

From the Pegula's through Beane and the coaching staff down to the depth players plenty of criticism can be found.

Personally, I find little solace in these attempts.

To paraphrase Thomas Payne concerning The Buffalo Crisis "These are the times that tries men's (players and coaches) souls".

They face a must win game this coming Sunday and their mettle will be tested.  It's up to the entire organization to notch wins.

I will watch the game and hope for a big W just like my avatar.

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This.

Guy still thinks defense wins championships…. Still doesn’t have a clue offensively…. As @MAJBobby pointed out that quote before half time is all the more proof…. It’s all the more confusing because they want to run the ball more and yet did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for an offensive line that sucked at running the ball last season. McD was too concerned about more defense for his precious line rotation. 

After every tough loss people gonna point to things that happened on the field, but it's what happened in the off-season which counts more.  

Why does McD need those LB's and his DL rotation?  If we're pursuing continuous improvement, the focus needs to be squarely on why the HC needs what he does and whether it provides value.  For example, he's drafted 4 DL in the top 2 rounds of the last 3 drafts.  I didn't see much from any of them last night, nor from the  4 year veteran 1st round MLB who we keep hearing will figure things out.  

Besides, after 4+ seasons building his defense, why can't it not provide better performance?  He's picked all the players, had his scheme in place all that time, and yet still comes up small in key moments.  Perhaps it's because more offense is a better option than more defense.  

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This.

Guy still thinks defense wins championships…. Still doesn’t have a clue offensively…. As @MAJBobby pointed out that quote before half time is all the more proof…. It’s all the more confusing because they want to run the ball more and yet did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for an offensive line that sucked at running the ball last season. McD was too concerned about more defense for his precious line rotation. 

Lack of a single dominant defensive line player, little depth at LB, bad interior offensive line play, deficiencies at RB.  How did the GM address them?  By ignoring the problem in 3 areas and going all in on the other with the rotation strategy at the defensive line.

Management addressed the defensive line by committing the 1st and 2nd round choices in the draft to the group.  The defensive line rotation was a good idea in theory but not in practice.  You've got 8 or 9 guys without any one dominant player.  What good is that?  Substituting players to keep them fresh and playing at an unproductive level.  The fix right now is to identify your 4 best players and increase their snaps to about 75%.  And on top of that committing a large portion of the cap to this under-performing group.  Find a couple star players for this group and drop the rotation approach. 

Drafted two OT's.  A position where the team has two established starters already.  The problem is the interior of the line and other than a late round pick they did nothing.  This was a gamble that failed miserably.  Get some guards and think about moving on from Morse next season.

Playing the nickel package they rely on Milano and Edmunds so this area was also ignored.  They resigned Milano which was smart.  Edmunds has all the measurable's and by all accounts should be an excellent LB but it just hasn't translated to consistent performance on the field.  My prediction is he eventually goes to a 3-4 team and becomes a better player in that scheme. 

At running back the big move was to add Matt Breida.  A move that looked good on paper.  But he's rarely seen the field until recently and his fumbles have been costly.  I don't see him or Moss on the roster next year.  Singletary has value as a role player but the team needs a workhorse number one back. 

The other thing is game plan.  I'd simply argue the Bills have almost the exact same game plan on offense and defense no matter who they're playing.  And the same plays.  It seemed like they spent the entire off season planning and preparing to beat the Chiefs and forgot about the other 30 teams.  And once they beat the Chiefs it was mission accomplished and they seemed to sit back and declare victory.  But their whole approach has become so predictable it doesn't take a top NFL coaching staff to figure out what is coming.  They could play a team with the worst run defense in the league or the best run defense in the league.  Doesn't matter.  Run the ball 12 to 15 times and throw 40 to 45 passes.  On defense the same thing.  Play the base 4-2-5 and if it doesn't work wait until the 4th quarter to make any adjustments.

Execution by the players is always the problem when the Bills play NE.  Belichik played it ultra-conservative last night because as he always does he was counting on the Bills committing their typical dozen or so accumulated blunders.  And as usual the Bills didn't disappoint. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billl said:

You forgot about Josh consistently missing wide open receivers, especially near the end of the game, when it mattered most and would have changed the outcome of the game. 

Of course a part of that was the breakdowns in the offensive line causing Josh to panic.

EXECUTION.  That's what it ALWAYS comes down to.

I agree that there seems to be some disconnect between OC and HC. GMBB built this team as a QB centric, pass/stop the pass team, but that is not who McD is.  He is to his core a conservative, defensive mindset coach.  

Is it possible that it is McD who disconnected from how this team was built and how they want to operate it?

Wondered if had to choose and only 1 can stay, would they pick McD or OC?

Edited by Billsflyer12

2 hours ago, bmur66 said:

I see we all watched the same game. It must be a nice, warm feeling to handoff the ball and watch a RB and O line do their thing. I hope Josh Allen gets to experience that someday. 

Did not anybody learn anything about Dan Marino’s career? Fix the damn running game this off-season, fix the o line!!!!

For those asking for more passing in this game I invite you to look at that sequence where the ball was almost intercepted.....twice....one right after another on an out route

This is not all that complicated to me.....teams have had the offseason to look at our unbalanced offense and have caught up to it....the weather conditions amplified it.....and we are not running the ball ENOUGH but we cant run the ball because we dont have the horses to do it

Our starting RB is not on the team yet.....the OL needs to be OVERWORKED like they did DE's this past offseason with guys with Spencer Brown's attitude....and we need to go into next season with the ability to get 100 yards on the ground if we WANT which will then translate over to the passing game

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

The deficiencies of the team weren’t exactly hard to find after last season specifically after the playoffs…. There were plenty of people questioning the strategy all off-season and all were shut down by many on this board. 

I can vouch for that. I was told how clueless I am in the offseason and again early in this season when I said the O is out of sync. But we have the best this and that so my who cares about what I am watching...

After the playoff loss, it was clear the Bills pass rush was anemic and had to be addressed. Did they make the right moves? Do enough? That's a debate.

But the Patriots just whipped McD at his own game: toughness. With the exception of a few series, the Patriots were able to ground and pound the defense at will. It wasn't deceptive in the least. Anybody and everybody could see what was coming. Yet, the Bills coaches unrelentingly played a base defense, defenders kept getting caught out of position, and we were outnumbered at the point of attack play after play, down after down.

That game proclaimed to the world that the AFC East still goes through New England. If McD really wants to establish himself as the new thug in the division, he needs to look in the mirror, figure out what is needed to win a trench war, and realize some adjustments in "the process" are needed.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.