Bring back National Anthem on TV

Marv's Neighbor

Everyone watched the recent games with all the "respect" & "salute" to our military men & woman.  That's fine, and well deserved, BUT, we should see it on TV, and have the opportunity to participate in the National Anthem, presented before all games.

All of our respect, camo shirts & hats and salutes are very hollow without a chance to participate in this brief pre-game tradition.

We go to a BILLS bar in Richmond, and one of our fellow fans is good enough to bring a recorded National Anthem, to play before the kick off, and everyone stands and participates, as they would at the game.  The absence of this on TV is offensive, and disrespectful.  As a USAF vet, I ask that the networks please restore the National Anthem to TV games..

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Myself and I would expect the vast majority of Americans agree with you. Unfortunately the current environment (believe it's called cancel culture?) dictates catering to the minority to avoid offending anyone. Not sure why both Canadian and American National Anthems are broadcast on TV for hockey but not the NFL.

On another note, thank you for your service.

Edited by Steve O
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

Unfortunately a lot of people think the flag and the anthem to be offensive. A sad state of affairs. Personally I'd love it to come back, but would rather not have it turn into another charade depending on who's oppressed or or victimized based on the weekly media cycle. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

I mean if people aren't going to throw a massive fit(yeah like that'll happen) over players using their 1st amendment rights during it then maybe the NFL would do that, but I doubt they want to have to deal with that issue at all.

Hockey games show it, sometime two different countries anthem... and I haven't seen any issues. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Unfortunately a lot of people think the flag and the anthem to be offensive. A sad state of affairs. Personally I'd love it to come back, but would rather not have it turn into another charade depending on who's oppressed or or victimized based on the weekly media cycle. 

They don’t think it’s offensive. They think the people who wrap themselves in the flag while denying social justice are offensive and hypocrites. image.thumb.jpeg.b805eaadc45b9cc93aa24852943e02ae.jpeg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

They don’t think it’s offensive. They think the people who wrap themselves in the flag while denying social justice are offensive and hypocrites. image.thumb.jpeg.b805eaadc45b9cc93aa24852943e02ae.jpeg

Nobody is denying social justice. My point is that there is a time and place for things. I personally don't think the nation anthem is the platform to air grievances. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Nobody is denying social justice. My point is that there is a time and place for things. I personally don't think the nation anthem is the platform to air grievances. 

It’s the perfect time when everyone is paying attention, especially since the majority of NFL viewers are white and aren’t affected by the injustice, but are rooting for teams that are 70% black and whose communities they came from are affected.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

It’s the perfect time when everyone is paying attention, especially since the majority of NFL viewers are white and aren’t affected by the injustice, but are rooting for teams that are 70% black and whose communities they came from are affected.

This should probably be moved to PPP. 

8 hours ago, Steve O said:

Myself and I would expect the vast majority of Americans agree with you. Unfortunately the current environment (believe it's called cancel culture?) dictates catering to the minority to avoid offending anyone.

Do you have any stats to back that up? Otherwise, your assumptions about the vast majority and the minority are just wild-ass guesses.

As far as the "cancel culture" quip, ask Colin Kaepernick about being canceled.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Do you have any stats to back that up? Otherwise, your assumptions about the vast majority and the minority are just wild-ass guesses.

Yeah, by canceled you mean taking millions from Nike for his "cause". Tough life.

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

https://www.newsweek.com/most-americans-want-national-anthem-played-sporting-events-poll-shows-amid-mark-cuban-controversy-1570255

https://flagandcross.com/most-americans-feel-positive-about-american-anthem-except-for-blacks/

I’d personally like to see the national anthem return, but I can’t see any way that happens without unfortunate repercussions. It’s not worth it to me, let’s stick to pure entertainment without muddying the waters. I’m there for the football, lets not make it into something else. 

6 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

If the time and place for it is at a time that it doesn't bother you/you don't have to pay attention to it, that kind of defeats the entire purpose of it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Steve O said:

Both of those say people think it should be played at sporting events, but nothing about whether it should be televised. As far as I know, it's still played at NFL games; the OP was referring to having it televised.

12 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Yeah, by canceled you mean taking millions from Nike for his "cause". Tough life.

He's a QB who was good enough to lead his team to a Super Bowl but was later blackballed by a league in which Nate Peterman still has a QB gig.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

And there is no reason to play the anthem before a sporting event. It is neither the time nor the place for it. It makes no sense to do so.

There. Problem solved.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I wish they'd get rid of all that paid for fake patriotic crap---all of which has absolutely NOTHING to do with a professional  sports game.

If you people haven't noticed, warfare is big business in this country, and we like to fight in them pretty much continuously now.

This gives rise to heavy retention problems in the military.

Which gives rise to these PR campaigns at sports games.

It's WORSE in the NHL...where the military has been paying for air time for years now.

That's great---create some type of association with military/flag/warfare in the minds of easily influenced young kids.

If only these kids were smart enough to, instead, do something like read.

"With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge is a great place to start.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I wish they'd get rid of all that paid for fake patriotic crap---all of which has absolutely NOTHING to do with a professional  sports game.

If you people haven't noticed, warfare is big business in this country, and we like to fight in them pretty much continuously now.

It's WORSE in the NHL...where the military has been paying for air time for years now.

That's great---create some type of association with military/flag/warfare in the minds of easily influenced young kids.

Whatya trying to say... They are brainwashing youth to fight? 

Just raise the recruitment age to 21 so it jives with the drinking age. Better yet, make them both 25 when human brain is fully developed.  

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3621648/

Gotta reach them early:

"The development and maturation of the prefrontal cortex occurs primarily during adolescence and is fully accomplished at the age of 25 years. The development of the prefrontal cortex is very important for complex behavioral performance, as this region of the brain helps accomplish executive brain functions."

40 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

That the guy from Band of Brothers Pacific?

21 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Almost no one believes the flag and anthem are offensive. That’s a willfully untrue statement and a perfect example what’s wrong with the entire debate. People like you cannot even acknowledge what other people are trying to say let along try to understand the meaning behind their actions. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

On 11/20/2021 at 11:16 AM, Steve O said:

Myself and I would expect the vast majority of Americans agree with you. Unfortunately the current environment (believe it's called cancel culture?) dictates catering to the minority to avoid offending anyone. Not sure why both Canadian and American National Anthems are broadcast on TV for hockey but not the NFL.

On another note, thank you for your service.

Or maybe, just maybe, TV networks would rather cram a few more ads in. Not everything is a left wing conspiracy.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/21/2021 at 4:55 AM, Marv's Neighbor said:

We go to a BILLS bar in Richmond, and one of our fellow fans is good enough to bring a recorded National Anthem, to play before the kick off, and everyone stands and participates, as they would at the game. 

So, you all stand in the bar with your hand on your heart, and a tear in your eye?

I don't understand why the national anthem needs to be played before two teams from the same country play each other.

Do you guys simply forget where you are?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

I would restrict playing the national anthem(s) to events where the athletes actually represent their country, like in the Olympics. Or in European soccer, where anthems are played before games between national teams, but not before games between club teams from different countries.  

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

It's just a song.

Just play ***** football.

And the flag a hunk of cloth... Can mean a million things to a million different people.

Funny how people rail against group think then cry when there's not enough!  They just want it their way for their story.  Everyone has a story. Attention must be paid! 😕😞 

I get it... The US has always been thought of as a melting pot, stirred into one common theme.  How about we start looking at the nation as a mosaic.  Look closely enough,  you'll see the jagged cracks.  Mosaics are just as awe inspiring! More so than one heaping goo with one group of people (nationalists) deciding what that goo should be themed around.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.