Bruce Smiths 200 Career Sacks, will it be beat?

Mikie2times

10 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

Is Bruce the GOAT or Reggie? 

I think people give Reggie the nod because of his signature  “hump move”. Bruce was a force to be reckoned with. Bruce destroyed all of the great tackles during his tenure. I’m with team Bruuuuce

7 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bruce is the GOAT, he was a better man on the field, and a better man off the field, than Reggie White

Reggie was a deacon

9 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

And a homophobic racist.

But, but, he was a Deacon....

If Reggie was still alive who would you rather invite over to meet your family? Who would you rather go to the bar and have a beer with?

Depending on your values maybe that's a different answer, but I think Bruce is a real guy and when he had any problems he has been real about what they're. He seems like a genuinely solid person.  Reggie did the lords work which gave him a lot of curbside appeal but he probably had a few skeletons packed in with that squeaky clean image.

I value authentic people the most and I think Bruce was more authentic.

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Reggie did the lords work which gave him a lot of curbside appeal but he probably had a few skeletons packed in with that squeaky clean image.

No skeletons involved.  He gave a prepared speech to the Wisconsin Legislature that left no doubt that he was a homophobic racist.  When asked about it afterward, he refused to apologize and doubled down in a Barbara Walters interview.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

This will be one of the hardest records in all of sports to break. What he did was truly remarkable. Even with an extra game or 2 I honestly don't see it.

However, the player that does break it will likely go down as the best defender of all time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

As far as double teams, it would be nearly impossible to have the protection in a 3-4 you get in a 4-3 regardless of how your DC schemes. The alignment in a 3-4 just doesn't allow a DE to stay protected. For some perspective on this within the top 10 career sack leaders, none are 3-4 DE's besides Bruce. 6 More DE's in the top 10, all 6 are 4-3 DE's.

3-4 DE's being known as legends are so rare, it's almost like Buffalo put Bruce in the position they did because they knew how rare he was and it would always occupy two blockers and even still he would beat it. Nobody like Bruce exists as far as production in a 3-4 role. 

This is a really strong argument.  Bruce was, indeed, a rare talent.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, SMAKCruiser said:

I think his sacks record and Rice's receiving yards record will never be beaten.   

A couple years ago my son was trying to convince me that Julio Jones would break Jerry Rice's record.  I said "no way."  That's looking even more correct now.

12 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Records are made to be broken ... 

But no 

200 sacks 

56 game hit streak 

2857 points 

Some records will stand the test of time ... Truly remarkable lines

You wanna know another record that won’t be broken?

Johnny Vandermeer about 100 years ago threw 2 consecutive no hitters.  No one will ever throw 3.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

it'll be beat. It's more of a passing league so more opportunities for sacks.

No way.  With someone needing 20 seasons averaging 10 sacks a season, 15 averaging 13+ or 13 averaging 15+, nobody’s doing it.  And I can’t even see anyone playing more than 13 seasons these days.

Edited by Doc
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, KeLLy1278 said:

That may be the most incredible accomplishment in football.  Top five RB of all time.  I got The Juice, Jim, Barry, Eric and Walter.

What's funny is arguably the next closest thing to to the 2,000 in 14 games is Browns 1,863, with a 6.4 AVG. OJ was worse at 6.0 AVG in his 2000 yard year. In sum, If Jim Brown got the carries he would have had a better year, but it's similar to the White/Smith debate. Bruce got it partly because he played longer. In evaluating GOAT shouldn't that play a role? Just as it plays a role to get that high in fewer games?

One requires more top end production and one requires more endurance, consistency and ability to avoid injury. Both are different but equally important traits. As poster said, this like picking your favorite guitarist. I would never say either was better, just different.   

15 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Sometimes you don't know how rare something is before some time elapses. With the additional game, it's only a matter of time before nearly every record based on a total falls. One record that I think is different is the 200 sacks in a career by Bruce. After Reggie, the next closest player to Bruce is 40 sacks behind or the equivalent of 3 exceptional seasons.  Consider the only active NFL player who is even a threat is Aaron Donald at 7 1/2 seasons and 30 years old. For him to eclipse Bruce, he would essentially have to duplicate his success for the same amount of time he has been in the league until he is 38 years old. Maybe in 4-5 years we can discuss if TJ Watt is a threat or not. That's what makes this record so ridiculous. You could average 10 sacks a year for 10 years and still only be half way. It's a record of consistency, stamina, and talent and even with the additional game I think it stands as long as any of them. 

Don't forget that Reggie White had 198 career sacks.

If two can put up those numbers, then I believe it will be broken.

31 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

What's funny is arguably the next closest thing to to the 2,000 in 14 games is Browns 1,863, with a 6.4 AVG. OJ was worse at 6.0 AVG in his 2000 yard year. In sum, If Jim Brown got the carries he would have had a better year, but it's similar to the White/Smith debate. Bruce got it partly because he played longer. In evaluating GOAT shouldn't that play a role? Just as it plays a role to get that high in fewer games?

One requires more top end production and one requires more endurance, consistency and ability to avoid injury. Both are different but equally important traits. As poster said, this like picking your favorite guitarist. I would never say either was better, just different.   

Yep.  Agree on all counts.  Juice did have a better career yards per reception avg than Jim though.  10.6 to 9.5.  Over a yard is impressive.  In his 9 years as a Bill his avg per reception was 11.  Avg yards per carry is 5.2 to 4.7 in favor of Brown.  But as you said, it’s splitting hairs.  

I'm posting a couple links to sites that focus on notable 3-4 DE's and 4-3 DE's in NFL history. It's slightly outdated, but does as good job as far showing the difference in production from 3-4 DE's vs 4-3 DE's.

The last link is All Time Sack leaders comprised of 3-4 OLB's and 4-3 DE's. You see a rare DT exception as well and then Bruce, who might as well be on an island as far as this list is concerned with 3-4 DE's. I think Buffalo took probably the best defensive player in NFL history and put him into a scheme that helped decent LB's and a a poor secondary. Who knows, the entire defense was likely built around Bruce being able to subtract two players every down. I will not disrespect what Reggie did and say he was worse, but I can't do it to Bruce either. 

3-4 Best DE's

https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-top-3-4-defensive-ends-in-nfl.html

4-3 Best DE's

https://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-top-4-3-ends-in-nfl-history.html

Career Sacks Leaders

http://www.espn.com/nfl/history/leaders/_/stat/sacks

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Momma Pecoraro said:

Unlike White, in his prime Bruce had mostly mediocre linemates - Washington, Hansen, and a past prime Smerlas for a time excepted.

Bruce didn't play with Washington until his 11th year in the league and I wouldn't call Ted mediocre ... He was an elite nose tackle.   

2 hours ago, SMAKCruiser said:

Bruce didn't play with Washington until his 11th year in the league and I wouldn't call Ted mediocre ... He was an elite nose tackle.   

Actually it was his 16th season (out of 19) and yes, Ted was a stud, but they only played together for 5 years.  If the Bills had someone like him during the SB years...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.