Beasley’s future

Virgil

Jamison Crowder is a UFA next year, at 28 yrs old and a proven veteran, extremely effective slot WR, I could see him being a logical target/replacement. Unfortunately Beas is at the tail end of his shelf life.  Or perhaps a one year deal depending on how he finishes the year, then make a play for Renfrow who will be a UFA the following season.

That being said, Beane probably gives him 3 year extension or something, I mean he did bring in Frank Gore when RBs basically grow on trees.

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Jamison Crowder is a UFA next year, at 28 yrs old and a proven veteran, extremely effective slot WR, I could see him being a logical target/replacement. Unfortunately Beas is at the tail end of his shelf life.  Or perhaps a one year deal depending on how he finishes the year, then make a play for Renfrow who will be a UFA the following season.

That being said, Beane probably gives him 3 year extension or something, I mean he did bring in Frank Gore when RBs basically grow on trees.

Gore got a one year deal for $2 million. It's not like Beane backed up the truck.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Georgie said:

But at some point, maybe even next year,Beasley won't be worth 6 million 

What YOU don't seem to get is it's not about RELEASING Beasley. His contract EXPIRES after this season.

Isn't Sanders on a one year  deal? 

Agreed that some time soon he won't be worth $6 mill.

But he signed a 4 year deal which includes next year. Sanders, though is on a one-year deal.

16 hours ago, Georgie said:

But at some point, maybe even next year,Beasley won't be worth 6 million 

What YOU don't seem to get is it's not about RELEASING Beasley. His contract EXPIRES after this season.

Isn't Sanders on a one year  deal? 

Bro… if you’re going to tell me that I’m wrong at least know what you’re talking about. 

Beasley’s contract EXPIRES after 2022. 

John Brown an Cole Beasley both signed after 2018. Brown signed for 3 years and Beasley was 4 years. 

I don’t just come on here spouting off about ***** that I don’t know about. Believe me. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/16/2021 at 1:46 PM, Virgil said:

I was listening to WGR today and they talked about Beasley’s contract being free to void after this season and thinking McKenzie filling that role.  This got me thinking…..

To me, Beasley had proven to be incomparable when it comes to finding open spaces in the zone and when our offense if clicking, Allen’s best 3rd down option.  On broken plays, he also finds open space and has incredibly reliable hands.  When we brought Sanders in, many of these traits were supposedly the same for him, but I haven’t seen that so far.  Also, I haven’t seen anything from McKenzie to make me think he could fill that role if Beasley left.  

Now, I don’t know how much all of that Covid stuff bothered the front office or his relationships with the team, but he seems to be a staple to this offense and I would love to see him finish his career here.  Diggs, Beasley, and Davis is a solid starting 3 to me.  

However, this is my perception and I’m curious to hear others 

I agree with you ! Look at the production last year with out Smoke, Sanders took his place this year .  Diggs, Beasely, Davis, & Knox with depth featuring Mckenzie & Kumero i think is a great WR room sure Sanders although a really good add but may not have been totally necessary .

I think Beasley is a intricate piece of the offensive puzzle and i for one think that he needs to retire as a Buffalo Bill because this could very well be Sanders last NFL season if he does come back for 1 more season he may be a cheaper veteran option which isn't a bad thing but if he does decide to retire Beasely needs to be here .

• Agree 1

IMO, Beasley will be a Bill until he significantly loses a step. It’s pretty common, and popular to compare Beasley, and Lil Dirty, and yes, to an extent Lil Dirty can fill the role that Beasley occupies. He can also fill the role of P/KR, gadget routes, running back, he throws an extraordinary block for a WR his size, and a couple seasons ago, in a pinch, they put him in at cornerback. And apparently, he makes a mean brisket. 

McKenzie really is the most versatile player on the team, but the thing is, he’s really not great at any of those things. (Actually, I’ve heard the brisket is great.)

Beasley is great at what he does. 

The point is: they’re not the same player. McKenzie can no more replace Beasley’s  role on this team than Beasley could replace McKenzie. 

I have a different take on this, I just can't imagine that many front offices willing to take chances and keep un-vaxxed players around for next season with the exception of true superstars i.e. Aaron Rodger's types.  Beasleys not at that level.

If unvaxxed and test positive, very likely out for 10 days as opposed to vaxxed could be back in 3 to 4 days.  Close contact rules are more rigid too for the un-vaxxed likely resulting in lost time.

This past off season salary cap was lower so teams didn't have much money, plus by the time FA started, vaccine wasn't really available for healthy 25/30 year old men who just happened to play football for a living.  So teams didn't even know what they had or didn't have.  Now with a higher cap and a years time to see the effects, I will be surprised if teams are willing to take the gamble.  Maybe the league changes the rules and everything is the same for vaxxed or un-vaxxed then this would change, but can't see the league doing that either.

• Disagree 1

On 11/18/2021 at 9:03 AM, Dr.Sack said:

Beasley might be in the mold of Wes Welker & Julian Edelman, but he seems thinner and as a result the hits seem to really take their toll.

On a team friendly deal Beasley offers great depth at the slot. Beasley should be retained until he can no longer get separation. I see his window being age 35-36 barring catastrophic injury. All things considered he’s due for a 3-year deal at $4-6 million per season. 

Politely disagree.

IMO he's already showing a bit of regression and more injury than we've seen from him before.

And there are other concerns than those performance-related.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

you don’t move away from a guy with a 70 % catch rate

or maybe you do...

https://theathletic.com/2970405/2021/11/21/how-the-bills-run-defense-unraveled-against-the-colts-7-observations-from-sundays-blowout-loss?source=user-shared-article

6. Cole Beasley’s slight decline?

The Bills limited Cole Beasley’s snaps early Sunday, just as they had in their previous two games. Beasley has dealt with a ribs injury, which is surely painful and has limited some of his effectiveness. However, the more significant problem might be that Beasley isn’t the explosive and shifty player he was last year. Throughout the season, even when healthy, Beasley hasn’t generated nearly the same separation that we’ve seen in previous seasons. Speed and the ability to quickly cut and gain separation can disappear quickly with older players, and once it goes, it’s tough to get back. Beasley remains a solid player against zone coverage, which will make him a big piece of the puzzle the rest of this season. But once Beasley starts to get back to full health, this is something to keep an eye on. Either way, the Bills need to give more time to second-year wide receiver Gabriel Davis, who is their second-most dynamic receiver behind Stefon Diggs.

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

or maybe you do...

https://theathletic.com/2970405/2021/11/21/how-the-bills-run-defense-unraveled-against-the-colts-7-observations-from-sundays-blowout-loss?source=user-shared-article

6. Cole Beasley’s slight decline?

The Bills limited Cole Beasley’s snaps early Sunday, just as they had in their previous two games. Beasley has dealt with a ribs injury, which is surely painful and has limited some of his effectiveness. However, the more significant problem might be that Beasley isn’t the explosive and shifty player he was last year. Throughout the season, even when healthy, Beasley hasn’t generated nearly the same separation that we’ve seen in previous seasons. Speed and the ability to quickly cut and gain separation can disappear quickly with older players, and once it goes, it’s tough to get back. Beasley remains a solid player against zone coverage, which will make him a big piece of the puzzle the rest of this season. But once Beasley starts to get back to full health, this is something to keep an eye on. Either way, the Bills need to give more time to second-year wide receiver Gabriel Davis, who is their second-most dynamic receiver behind Stefon Diggs.

Before the rib injury he seemed like the same player to me.  He shined against the Skins, Titans, and the Fins.  I don't think he's lost a step but just needs to get healthy.  Way more concerned about our lines.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Love Bease! Moving on from him would be a BAD move. He can still get separation and is unstoppable on 3rd down.

He has been dogging it out there since at least the Jags game.  I know he has a rib injury but he has lost a step.  Finding a soft spot in a zone is not getting separation... its finding a soft spot in a zone.

• Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.