2021 New York Jets Are Historically Bad

Gugny

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32633547/new-york-jets-blowout-loss-buffalo-bills-brings-new-marks-defensive-futility

The Jets (2-7), young and rebuilding on both sides of the ball, expected growing pains in 2021. But their defense has performed at a historically bad level. Consider:

• The Jets have allowed 175 points in their past four games, the second most allowed in a four-game span by any team since the 1970 AFL/NFL merger.
  • They're the first team to allow at least 45 points three times in a four-game span since the 1966 New York Giants.
  • They have surrendered 1,890 total yards during the abysmal stretch, the worst four-game period in franchise history.

Coach Robert Saleh, who built his reputation in the league on defense, seemed at a loss to explain the latest embarrassment.  "Our system prides itself on being able to get better as the year goes on," Saleh said. "Clearly, it's not happening."

Clearly.  Good!! 😁

• Like (+1) 2

The Jets may have messed up the most important thing a team can do-draft a QB high in the 1st round-twice in 4 years.  Even worse the QBs they should have taken (Allen in 2018 & M. Jones in 2021) went to division rivals who have embarrassed Saleh's D 3 times this year already with a 4th yet to come.  

Did the Jets even look at the Bills/49ers game last year when the Bills toasted Saleh's D?  If so did they even ask him to explain last year's game against a team he would be facing twice a year?  Maybe he sold them on "My D will get better as the years go on."    

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The Jets may have messed up the most important thing a team can do-draft a QB high in the 1st round-twice in 4 years.  Even worse the QBs they should have taken (Allen in 2018 & M. Jones in 2021) went to division rivals who have embarrassed Saleh's D 3 times this year already with a 4th yet to come.  

Did the Jets even look at the Bills/49ers game last year when the Bills toasted Saleh's D?  If so did they even ask him to explain last year's game against a team he would be facing twice a year?  Maybe he sold them on "My D will get better as the years go on."    

I recall that as well and the players that were really roasted was Richard Sherman who looked slow last year and is now on the Bucs.

Any DC/HC that decides that playing man coverage against Stefon Diggs with a backup/practice squad DB just coming off the bench is a good idea deserves everything they get.

I don't get Saleh and the Jets, you literally watched MIA and JAX show you exactly how to make the Bills mortal and you decide 'nah, we're gonna play our brand of football instead.'

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Even worse the QBs they should have taken (Allen in 2018 & M. Jones in 2021) went to division rivals

If they had drafted Allen, he probably wouldn't have flourished like he has in Buffalo. But at least they'd have kept him away from a division rival.

14 minutes ago, uninja said:

Any DC/HC that decides that playing man coverage against Stefon Diggs with a backup/practice squad DB just coming off the bench is a good idea deserves everything they get.

I don't get Saleh and the Jets, you literally watched MIA and JAX show you exactly how to make the Bills mortal and you decide 'nah, we're gonna play our brand of football instead.'

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

And they stuck with that coverage lots. Heard announcers said they played cover 3 (going to look more into) . Double dumb on there coaching staff, putting there defense in wrong spots. So many not good thing's over there. Really question if Saleh is even a good hire. He doesn't seem to adjust. Great teams adjust bad teams don't.

• Like (+1) 1

I would feel pretty bad/hopeless if I were a Jets fan.  They were really hoping to take a good step forward this year, and I just don't see it.  Wilson looks iffy at best.  All that draft capital and I dont see much to show for it (not too impressed with the 2022 class either).   Miami, same boat, but maybe worse because they had such a glimmer of hope. 

Saleh looks like a member of the pile of other failed coaches you see.  When the Jets were driving at the end of the 1st half, they had 2 timeouts in their pocket.  Someone got tackled in-bounds with about 46 seconds left.  I believe they ran their next play with the clock running down to like 23 seconds.  He froze there and failed.  They ended up fumbling anyway. 

21 minutes ago, benderbender said:

That win last year that cost them Trevor Lawrence was a boon. A boon! I have never used that word before. That's how great it turned out for us. 

Yeah, I’m retrospect that was probably the worst single mistake the Jets have made, pointlessly winning a game that iced the #1 overall for Jax. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32633547/new-york-jets-blowout-loss-buffalo-bills-brings-new-marks-defensive-futility

The Jets (2-7), young and rebuilding on both sides of the ball, expected growing pains in 2021. But their defense has performed at a historically bad level. Consider:

• The Jets have allowed 175 points in their past four games, the second most allowed in a four-game span by any team since the 1970 AFL/NFL merger.
  • They're the first team to allow at least 45 points three times in a four-game span since the 1966 New York Giants.
  • They have surrendered 1,890 total yards during the abysmal stretch, the worst four-game period in franchise history.

Coach Robert Saleh, who built his reputation in the league on defense, seemed at a loss to explain the latest embarrassment.  "Our system prides itself on being able to get better as the year goes on," Saleh said. "Clearly, it's not happening."

Clearly.  Good!! 😁

Can the Jets time his termination to when Frazier leaves?  I actually really like him as a defensive coordinator.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.