Why not bring in Todd Gurley or Kerryon Johnson for the remainder of the season?

Buffalo03

He is still a free agent but is still only 27 and I'm referring to a contract for the rest of the season. He should cost very little and is a shell of his former self but we have to do something with this running game. Kerryon Johnson apparently is also still available and is only 24

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He is still a free agent but is still only 27 and I'm referring to a contract for the rest of the season. He should cost very little and is a shell of his former self but we have to do something with this running game. Kerryon Johnson apparently is also still available and is only 24

Singletary is averaging 5 yards per attempt.  Why does he need to be replaced?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Kinda answered your own question there. For both of them. 

Heck, why not see what Tolbert is up to? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

This right here is where I'm at as well. Would love to see Motor in a game where he gets RB1 touches...18-20 carries and 3-5 catches. Betting we end up with him over 100 yards.

In his first two seasons, he averaged 731 rushing yards/season ... and that's with significantly sharing time.  I will never understand the criticism this guy has gotten since day one - and continues to get.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 2

14 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Beane probably doesn't even know who they are if they aren't former Panther players.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

16 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

If our backs are getting 0.22 yards before contact, how would changing to Nick Chubb or Jonathan Taylor hep us?

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Beane probably doesn't even know who they are if they aren't former Panther players.

If former top players are going unsigned, it's because they are widely regarded as washed.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

In his first two seasons, he averaged 731 rushing yards/season ... and that's with significantly sharing time.  I will never understand the criticism this guy has gotten since day one - and continues to get.

He doesn’t have breakaway speed and can’t take one to the house. 
Until a nice big hole opens up and he takes it to the house like earlier this season. We could certainly do much worse than motor on this team. Najee Harris the most popular rookie runner just ran 22 times for 60 yards the other night. We won’t even run 22 times with two backs and Allen in a game. Now we want Gurley and kerryon who can’t make any roster or practice squad? 

23 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

No and no

Obviously OL isn't great, and Motor/Moss aren't game-breakers but these guys could be more successful.

Plenty of blame to go around, but I put it mostly on Daboll.  His lack of creativity and stubbornness to stick with a gamelan that isn't working is mind blowing.  Gap/wham blocking, power/pulls/traps, more jet sweeps, counters etc.  He sticks with his zone/stretch concepts that aren't executing right now.  

On top of that, it hinders our ability to have any semblance of balance or playaction, instead defenses know we are 1-dimemsional and gear up for the pass.  Game is solely on Josh shoulders every single week.  I think he's capable most weeks of getting the job done, but we could be so much more efficient and dynamic.

I don't know about you guys, but personally I'd like to see a fullback on the roster. Lord knows we need someone to help with pass protection, and the ability to changeup to a heavy set wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to keep defenses off balance.

Speaking of forcibly retired players ... Hey, where's Patrick DiMarco these days?

EDIT: a real fullback, not a jack of all trades TE/FB/Special Teams Guy (Gilliam type)

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Certainly the poor performance against theJags is concerning.  Unfortunately, the chances of improving the OL right now is minuscule.  Any player we bring in has to learn the offense, so the player has to slow down and think rather than let it flow.  

If Spencer Brown can play Sunday that puts Ford back on the bench.  If not,  then maybe we see Ryan Bates or Jamal Douglas.  They can’t be worse.  Everybody on the line needs to play better and help support whoever is in there.  

The window was there to trade for another OG but for whatever reason a deal was not made. I suspect Beane tried to make a move but the right deal was not there.  The trade deadline is now past. We can pull a player from another teams PS but that player has to dress that week and how long will it take a young player to learn the offense?  It is not easy to plug into the OL, it takes weeks to become serviceable. 

RB would be easier to backfill and right now we have options with Brieda and Williams.  One of them will replace Moss. They may add a spark.  

I think the immediate problem is the OL, especially the OG’s.  A great line can make an average runner look very good, but even a great runner will struggle with a below average line.  

13 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Why not just activate Brieda? Let him actually run and no dumb backwards gadget plays either.

Yes.  And let’s stop the sideline lateral passes for one yard.   Those plays don’t work.  

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.