Tyler Bass named AFC ST Player of the Month

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Since you mention it...

There's this fella Matt Araiza down at San Diego State:

https://www.theringer.com/2021/10/29/22752437/matt-araiza-san-diego-state-punter-nfl-potential

"Punters don’t try to make highlights. They try to be consistent, perfecting their motion so it’s the same every time. But Araiza has a rocket launcher for a leg, so for him consistency is making highlights. He’s hit 14 punts of at least 60 yards, two shy of the NCAA record for the most in a full season—and the Aztecs still have at least five games to go. He has 28 punts of 50-plus yards; the NCAA record is 32, set in 1994. He’s averaging 54.0 yards per punt, which would smash the NCAA and NFL records—51.0 in college and 51.4 in the NFL, the latter set by Slingin’ Sammy Baugh in 1940. Even if we factor in returns and touchbacks, Araiza is on pace for history: SDSU’s net punting average is 46.7 yards per punt; since the NCAA started including touchbacks in net punting average, no team has been better than 45.0.

And remember, the Big Punt wasn’t even Araiza’s longest punt of the year. He also boomed an 86-yarder against San Jose State at sea level."

Sold.  I'd take him in the 5th.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

15 years since we had an AFC special teams player of the month?

Well, that was a streak that needed to end!

This should have been in that other thread about which stat you wanted to see end !!!

Can we just talk for a second about how he takes a FG approach on kickoffs and *still* kicks it out of the end zone? This guy is a freak.

I saw another kicker last weekend take a full 8-step approach to his kickoff and it barely made it to the goal line.

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Since you mention it...

https://www.theringer.com/2021/10/29/22752437/matt-araiza-san-diego-state-punter-nfl-potential

"Punters don’t try to make highlights. They try to be consistent, perfecting their motion so it’s the same every time. But Araiza has a rocket launcher for a leg, so for him consistency is making highlights. He’s hit 14 punts of at least 60 yards, two shy of the NCAA record for the most in a full season—and the Aztecs still have at least five games to go. He has 28 punts of 50-plus yards; the NCAA record is 32, set in 1994. He’s averaging 54.0 yards per punt, which would smash the NCAA and NFL records—51.0 in college and 51.4 in the NFL, the latter set by Slingin’ Sammy Baugh in 1940. Even if we factor in returns and touchbacks, Araiza is on pace for history: SDSU’s net punting average is 46.7 yards per punt; since the NCAA started including touchbacks in net punting average, no team has been better than 45.0.

And remember, the Big Punt wasn’t even Araiza’s longest punt of the year. He also boomed an 86-yarder against San Jose State at sea level."

I wouldn't hate McBeane drafting a punter fairly early in the late 4th round or so. Haack is a below average punter thus far and isn't cheap (he isn't a uber expensive punter but he is paid as the 12th highest punter and is performing more in line with a bottom 10 punter) and punters can lose you games. Spending a mid round pick to solidify the other kicking position for several seasons is a good idea. I wouldn't go up into the first three rounds for this kid but if he is a special punter why not take him in the late 4th? 

I also feel like punters being taken up fairly high tend to work out more so than kickers taken up high. In 95 Todd Sauerburn was taken in the 2nd round and was an elite punter, Bryan Anger was taken in the third round and he has been a fairly good NFL punter, and Dustin Colquitt was drafted in the third round and was a fantastic punter. Now there are some exceptions to this, the Packers drafted a punter fairly high in 2004 and it didn't work out. 

But I feel the hit rate on punters is higher for some reason. Either way just have to hope Haack is decent enough for the rest of this season. 

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

But….but…. Of “ Beane’s draft picks:” I thought Josh Allen was his only success 🤔😳😎

Yeah! Remember his first game against the Jets last year? He went 2 for 4 and was obviously nervous. People were already regretting Beane's decision to draft him and releasing Hauschka. How the tide has turned. The young man has progressed nicely and will be our kicker for the next decade.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Yeah! Remember his first game against the Jets last year? He went 2 for 4 and was obviously nervous. People were already regretting Beane's decision to draft him and releasing Hauschka. How the tide has turned. The young man has progressed nicely and will be our kicker for the next decade.

Yeah, I was worried at the time.  He almost looked like he was "short-legging" them which caused him to hit that weak push.  He is so friggin money now.  I actually look forward to watching him step into a 50+ yarder.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Yeah, I was worried at the time.  He almost looked like he was "short-legging" them which caused him to hit that weak push.  He is so friggin money now.  I actually look forward to watching him step into a 50+ yarder.

He's pretty amazing in his approach to the ball. He doesn't need a running approach before contact which leads me to believe why his accuracy is exceptional. Hella strong leg!

2 hours ago, Rubes said:

Can we just talk for a second about how he takes a FG approach on kickoffs and *still* kicks it out of the end zone? This guy is a freak.

I saw another kicker last weekend take a full 8-step approach to his kickoff and it barely made it to the goal line.

and he hit the goalpost on one like 3/4 of the way up.

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Since you mention it...

I’m in!

6 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean it's nice that he has a leg and all but how is his control? Dropping it inside the 20 is more important than having an above average NFL leg.

Dropping it inside the 20 from anywhere on the field is a plus trait.

For what it’s worth I was of the thought that problem early as a rookie was neither physical ability nor mental, but mechanics. Pro coaching fixed that right up. In truth, he was 3/4 that jets game, refs blew the one over the upright

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

For what it’s worth I was of the thought that problem early as a rookie was neither physical ability nor mental, but mechanics. Pro coaching fixed that right up. In truth, he was 3/4 that jets game, refs blew the one over the upright

I mean both would obviously be better, but what I'm saying is having a very powerful leg isn't more important than having good/great control as long as their kicking power is with in reason. More or less I'd take an average kicking power punter with good control over a great kicking power Punter with poor control.

I believe that teams selecting kickers in the draft are ahead of the curve on teams who don't.  It used to be a laughable thought, because if only 2 or 3 were getting drafted, why not just get the 4th guy as an UDFA and retain your pick for a different player? 

The fact is, though, that the difference between the 1st tier of kickers and the 2nd tier of kickers is big.  Now that extra points aren't a given anymore, it may be a difference of 15-20 points per season having a Tyler Bass.  If you're drafting and you have the thought that the player you're picking in the 6th round is going to provide a differential of 15-20 points per season over what you have now...you take that player every time.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

Yup.  And again, as Jay Feely pointed out later in the season, Bojo was the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

For the season he’s now 16 of 17 on field goals with the only miss coming from 53 yards when he was wide right on the final play of the first half in Week 2 at Miami.

And for his career Bass is now 44 of 51 (86.3%) on field goals, and a remarkable 80 of 82 on extra points (97.6%), the type of number you used to see when extra points were from 20 yards out, but somewhat rare since the line was moved back to 33 yards several years ago.

Quite simply, Bass is already one of the best kickers in the NFL, and as sixth-round draft picks go, which is what Bass was in 2020, he’s the best sixth-round pick the Bills have ever made.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tyler-bass-brings-swag-may-082403813.html

17 hours ago, boater said:

I remember those who panned the Bills for spending a 6th round draft pick on him. Now here he is, second leading scorer in the league.

Yeah.  Not sure why fans pan draft picks (outside of those with character flaws, which Bass didn't have) before they even get a chance to play. 

1 minute ago, MClark said:

How about a punter in 7 round next spring?

Already discussed on page 2.  Will probably need a 5th rounder at least to get him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.