TNF: Bucs at Eagles

YoloinOhio

Just now, dma0034 said:

It doesn't make sense to go for it. You kick the XP and if you score again you can go for 2 if you want. 

That makes no sense. Their chance of converting the deuce is just as good now as it is later. So why not get it now?

Just now, mannc said:

That makes no sense. Their chance of converting the deuce is just as good now as it is later. So why not get it now?

I mean if they're going to do it absolutely go for it on the first one. Just from the way the announcers were talking are your odds not bad of getting 1/2 attempts or something?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I mean if they're going to do it absolutely go for it on the first one. Just from the way the announcers were talking are your odds not bad of getting 1/2 attempts or something?

You don’t expect Aikman to know anything about analytics, do you?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

nah better to go for it on the earlier TD, that way if you miss you have another shot with the 2nd TD.

Yes but you also have the option of tying on the second TD. It really becomes a Gut decision. You have a better chance of missing two 2 point conversions than missing one XP. You also get to make that decision

Edited by dma0034
Multiple postings

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

But don't you go for it on the 2nd one to ensure that you're not statistically out of it right away if you fail to convert? Stay alive as long as you can, which means keep them within one score (plus 2-pt conversion) as long as possible. 

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

But don't you go for it on the 2nd one to ensure that you're not statistically out of it right away if you fail to convert? Stay alive as long as you can, which means keep them within one score (plus 2-pt conversion) as long as possible. 

I mean if you've decided to go for it then you go for it early so you know if you have to go for it again.

Just now, Warcodered said:

I mean if you've decided to go for it then you go for it early so you know if you have to go for it again.

But if you miss the 2-pt conversion immediately after the first TD that pulls you within two scores (a range that can vary from 9 to 16 points, but in this case means at least 15 points), you're suddenly down MORE than 8. Whereas if you kick the extra point, you're still alive for a one-score comeback. 

Kinda like if you're down 10, you go ahead and kick the FG early sometimes to preserve the clock and ensure you actually have a chance at a final possession win/tie. If you fail to score the TD instead of kicking the FG, the game effectively ends then. 

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

But if you miss the 2-pt conversion immediately after the first TD that pulls you within two scores (a range that can vary from 9 to 16 points, but in this case means at least 15 points), you're suddenly down MORE than 8. Whereas if you kick the extra point, you're still alive for a one-score comeback. 

Kinda like if you're down 10, you go ahead and kick the FG early sometimes to preserve the clock and ensure you actually have a chance at a final possession win/tie. If you fail to score the TD instead of kicking the FG, the game effectively ends then. 

I mean just kicking the extra points is probably smarter but if you're going for it either way then go for it early and you'll know your situation from that point.

1 minute ago, dma0034 said:

So Tampa was -6.5, Damn that's a tough beat especially since Philly was trash today

I saw -7.5 earlier today, but either way it's a bad beat.  That's why I stay away from spreads like this.  The only Bills game I've lost in 6 games since legalized betting started in 2019 was a six or 6.5 spread vs the Bengals in 2019 when the Bills squandered a big lead and won by 4.  Just like the Tampa bettors tonight all I needed was a field goal for the money. 

Belated Friday morning reflections:

- one of the worst prime time games so far this season. This will be controversial but I'm going to say it.... Tampa Bay are boring as hell;

- remember the first half of last season when the offense was not clicking and they were talking about trying to mesh what Arians runs with what Brady likes? Well the answer to that was that Arians has basically canned his offense. The last two games I have seen Tampa - last night and at Foxborough - could have been New England offense circa 2014;

- The Tampa secondary is going to stop them repeating;

- Jalen Hurts is a gamer and he has no quit in him, but he just isn't a starting calibre NFL Quarterback. Philly either needs to draft one early or trade for Deshaun Watson (legal situation allowing);

- I am with the Eagles fans.... they need to find a way to get Miles Sanders the football way more often. He is their best offensive player, he had 9 carries at over 6 yards a carry and they are forcing their QB who is underdeveloped as a passer to pass it too often. Crazy.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

- one of the worst prime time games so far this season. This will be controversial but I'm going to say it.... Tampa Bay are boring as hell;

- remember the first half of last season when the offense was not clicking and they were talking about trying to mesh what Arians runs with what Brady likes? Well the answer to that was that Arians has basically canned his offense. The last two games I have seen Tampa - last night and at Foxborough - could have been New England offense circa 2014;

- Jalen Hurts is a gamer and he has no quit in him, but he just isn't a starting calibre NFL Quarterback. Philly either needs to draft one early or trade for Deshaun Watson (legal situation allowing);

- I am with the Eagles fans.... they need to find a way to get Miles Sanders the football way more often. He is their best offensive player, he had 9 carries at over 6 yards a carry and they are forcing their QB who is underdeveloped as a passer to pass it too often. Crazy.

it's pretty easy...just call regular running plays for him. I hate when coaches do this crap. Sanders is really good. 

Just now, nucci said:

it's pretty easy...just call regular running plays for him. I hate when coaches do this crap. Sanders is really good. 

Yep. But if they are insisting on being a pass heavy scheme (lord knows why with Hurts) then at least have designed plays to get him the ball in the pass game, rather than just as a checkdown. It really beggars belief how underutilised he is. If Philly doesn't want him I'd take him here in Buffalo he would be electric in this offense. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. But if they are insisting on being a pass heavy scheme (lord knows why with Hurts) then at least have designed plays to get him the ball in the pass game, rather than just as a checkdown. It really beggars belief how underutilised he is. If Philly doesn't want him I'd take him here in Buffalo he would be electric in this offense. 

I concur, he's also a very good receiver....he's one of those RBs that should get 15-20 touches a game. Hurts isn't good enough to carry that team

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Philadelphia may have a Quarterback issue, but more than anything else they have a Coaching and offensive line issue.  How they hired a guy who had never called plays in the NFL is beyond me.  If they were planning to go with a young Quarterback they needed a seasoned NFL coach who at the very least had called his own plays at the pro level. 

The play calling was horrendous last night.   He has no awareness of his team, what they do best, and how to shape a game plan around it.   His main objective last night was to try and push the ball downfield with a terrible offensive line, and no run game to offset the pass rush.  I think Hurts has a ton of talent, but his head coach is not doing him any favors helping to slow the game down. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.