Should we be thanking JJ Watt for not choosing Buffalo?

benderbender

4 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I don't think it would have impacted the pick. If anything we may have passed on Boogie, but Beane is known for taking the name that sits on top of his board.

Addison would likely have been cut free or traded if we still took Boogie IMO. 

I'll always argue the player taken is always at the top of the teams board or so they say afterwards.

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Yeah, the Patrick Price, the Rodgers Rate, and Gronk trying to weasel in on the insurance for veterans are all pretty annoying. These guys make more money in a single season than most people make in their entire careers. Car insurance rates are the last thing they need to worry about.

The Gronk ad is there to make the point that USAA is for the military only.  I'm retired Air Force so of course I have USAA coverage.  Everyone in the military knows about USAA and I think everyone joins -- the prices and the service are great.  My question really is why the heck does USAA pay so much for advertising?  Pretty much everyone who's eligible to join already knows about it.  

As for the State Farm commercials, they're really tiresome, but at least they're a little inventive.  There are just too many insurance commercials overall.  Progressive and GEICO and Farmer's and State Farm and Prudential and Liberty -- and of course USAA.  I think the message here is that there isn't much difference between all those companies so they spend a ton to have catchy commercials to build their market share.  Here's a radical idea -- do like USAA and have REALLY better rates and REALLY better service.  

OK, off my soap box, now back to football.

54 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

Yes, we should thank him, but his brother TJ is more than welcome to come here 😀

TJ was here Week 1, and look how that turned out.

4 hours ago, benderbender said:

It is premature to call Groot a draft success 5 games into his career, but he's been very impressive so far. And while I'm certain McBeane and Co would have addressed DE during the draft, perhaps we wouldn't have spent our first pick on Gregory Rousseau had we won the Watt lottery.

Watt has had some production for Arizona. As long as he's healthy, you still have to account for him on every play like always. Groot has better stats currently, but you can't make a summary judgement at Week 6. That being said, at this point if you made me choose, I'd take Rousseau's upside for his promising career for what is most likely the last stop in Watt's career in Arizona. Unless he's broken into Brady's avocado ice cream freezer. 

Signing Watt would have meant not signing Milano.  

That ought to end the discussion right there.  

The Bills are thriving because they DON'T have a lot of elite players.  Instead they have excellent players all across the roster, all making good money but none sucking up xx% of the salary cap.  Watt would be an upgrade over most of our Dline right now, but the cost would have meant not having the 9 or 10 starter quality players we are now rotating in and out.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

honestly wasnt all that interested in Watt in the first place,  often  injured,  getting old,  wanted more than he was worth,  and id heard stories about him playing selfish at times with the Texans.    much happier with what we currently have.

I'm of this mindset. I think at this point he's more of a figurehead than a impact player. I'm very content with our current situation. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

The Bills are thriving because they DON'T have a lot of elite players.  Instead they have excellent players all across the roster, all making good money but none sucking up xx% of the salary cap.  Watt would be an upgrade over most of our Dline right now, but the cost would have meant not having the 9 or 10 starter quality players we are now rotating in and out.  

Agree with all.

Signing Watt, sounded sexy at the time but I wasn't all in on the move. 

If you look at the Watt deal and who we snagged or resigned after, I really doubt below all happens with his future cap numbers by Beane.

Re-signed LB Matt Milano (4 years @ 44M)

Re-signed OT Daryl Williams (3 years @ 28M)

Re-signed OG Jon Feliciano (3 years @ 14.4M)

Signed WR Emmanuel Sanders (1 year @ 6M)

Allen extension, TJ extension and hell even signing Trubisky for a year. 

I'm content with how the Cards landed, literally. Thank you JJ for going to AZ...

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Gronk ad is there to make the point that USAA is for the military only.  I'm retired Air Force so of course I have USAA coverage.  Everyone in the military knows about USAA and I think everyone joins -- the prices and the service are great.  My question really is why the heck does USAA pay so much for advertising?  Pretty much everyone who's eligible to join already knows about it.  

As for the State Farm commercials, they're really tiresome, but at least they're a little inventive.  There are just too many insurance commercials overall.  Progressive and GEICO and Farmer's and State Farm and Prudential and Liberty -- and of course USAA.  I think the message here is that there isn't much difference between all those companies so they spend a ton to have catchy commercials to build their market share.  Here's a radical idea -- do like USAA and have REALLY better rates and REALLY better service.  

OK, off my soap box, now back to football.

TJ was here Week 1, and look how that turned out.

The USAA ad is part of a broader campaign to show young people just how great life is if you join the armed forces.   Same with the mid game tributes for vets of all kinds.   The NFL is a great place to advertise to young men........it's very lucrative but there are limits to how many commercials of people jumping out of planes and such that watchdogs will tolerate so they gotta' get creative.   The actual direct armed forces ads are often condescending to a good deal of the audience......like the ones where they show the kid who is confused by social media.   The USAA ads are an ingenious way to get another holler in at the audience using funny, down to earth people and scenarios.   Gronk is very funny in those ads.   

Now the trend of having people who definitely DON'T use the product,  represent the product........that's a little disorienting.   I mean, we all know that Tom Brady doesn't have a sh*tty T Mobile account..........but he could, in theory,  own one.   A guy that doesn't eat bread advertising a product that's basically all about the bread..........that's just thumbing your nose at the audience. :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The USAA ad is part of a broader campaign to show young people just how great life is if you join the armed forces.   Same with the mid game tributes for vets of all kinds.   The NFL is a great place to advertise to young men........it's very lucrative but there are limits to how many commercials of people jumping out of planes and such that watchdogs will tolerate so they gotta' get creative.   The actual direct armed forces ads are often condescending to a good deal of the audience......like the ones where they show the kid who is confused by social media.   The USAA ads are an ingenious way to get another holler in at the audience using funny, down to earth people and scenarios.   Gronk is very funny in those ads.   

Now the trend of having people who definitely DON'T use the product,  represent the product........that's a little disorienting.   I mean, we all know that Tom Brady doesn't have a sh*tty T Mobile account..........but he could, in theory,  own one.   A guy that doesn't eat bread advertising a product that's basically all about the bread..........that's just thumbing your nose at the audience. :lol:

The Brady commercial kills me.  They literally say at the end of it “but you don’t even eat bread!” and he laughs.  Like, they’re embracing the fact that someone in extremely good shape wouldn’t eat their product.  Centuries of marketing science out the window - and it’s not like that brand can afford risks, they’re still reeling from going “all in” with a convicted pedophile as their lasting brand spokesman.  You’ve got “Panera Bread” changing to “Panera …….. bread” because bread now equals lack of fitness and nutrition.  And there’s good old Subway just embracing the fatness.  Fascinating.  

Anyway I’ve lost the thread, literally.  JJ Watt, neat player.

12 hours ago, benderbender said:

It is premature to call Groot a draft success 5 games into his career, but he's been very impressive so far. And while I'm certain McBeane and Co would have addressed DE during the draft, perhaps we wouldn't have spent our first pick on Gregory Rousseau had we won the Watt lottery.

Watt has had some production for Arizona. As long as he's healthy, you still have to account for him on every play like always. Groot has better stats currently, but you can't make a summary judgement at Week 6. That being said, at this point if you made me choose, I'd take Rousseau's upside for his promising career for what is most likely the last stop in Watt's career in Arizona. Unless he's broken into Brady's avocado ice cream freezer. 

Signing him does not change who they drafted with him being older.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Greg S said:

When healthy he is a great player but the problem is he can never stay healthy. For that reason I am glad the Bills didn't get him.

He's missed significant time in 4 of the last 6 seasons, and in 2020 he wasn't effective in the 16 games he played.  I don't think he wants to hang them up but he probably needs to scale back the snap counts at this point.  

He has played the most snaps among defensive line/pass rush on Arizona this year, and has outsnapped chandler jones.  I think this could end up being a significant loss for them.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/14/2021 at 9:02 AM, No Place To Hyde said:

I don't think it would have impacted the pick. If anything we may have passed on Boogie, but Beane is known for taking the name that sits on top of his board.

Addison would likely have been cut free or traded if we still took Boogie IMO. 

I'm grateful we didn't waste a huge contract on Watt or Clowney,  but I still want to replace Addison. And can we please start rotating more of the young guys like AJE & Boogie. We need to know what we have in them? We know what we have in Mario and Jerry.... aging pass rushers who are slowing down. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.