Should we be thanking JJ Watt for not choosing Buffalo?

benderbender

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Absolutely! I once heard someone say that it is great idea to draft blockers and pass rushers. 

Thus the term I'm now hearing at the draft, "Best player available at an expensive position".  Too costly to get quality pass rushers in free agency - have to grow your own.  Not an absolute, but we now hear this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I agree with others that it's likely Beane still would've drafted Groot.

Having Watt in this DL rotation would've been sick. Last I saw, I think he's top 5 in pass rush win percentage.

Watt has been playing very well both at DE and inside at DT.  I think he’d be awesome in the Bills defense though it always made me wonder how they could fit him under the cap

I was happy he didn't come here.....I think he is over the hill and washed up.

I also think he will be out 6-10 games sometime soon.

49 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

We wouldn’t take Watt over Mario A? 

The thing I like and prefer about Mario A is that he is a team first guy and he is also available to play.

11 minutes ago, In Summary said:

Thus the term I'm now hearing at the draft, "Best player available at an expensive position".  Too costly to get quality pass rushers in free agency - have to grow your own.  Not an absolute, but we now hear this.

Could you imagine what Bruce Smith would make now :)

39 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

think its worked out for JJ as well as us...by the same token am so glad that Sanders is here...now such a diverse offense and his vet leadership, attitude and talent has delivered as expected.

Also don't forget that the climate in Arizona is probably better for an older player who may have past injuries that cold humid conditions could effect him even if otherwise healthy.  For all we know cold effects him even now at past injury locations.  So the climate may have been a big factor in his choice, it wouldn't be something he'd need to share if it were.  

57 minutes ago, Special K said:

When Rousseau made the tip/interception play, my first thought was “That was a young JJ Watt play!” 

Bills don’t need an old JJ Watt when they have a player with young JJ Watt potential.

I thought to myself “Groot just made Mahomes look like EJ Manual… I wonder if Reid is going to bench him for the rest of the season, now, in favor of a gutless, short-sliding, drunk-ass uncle Rico impersonator?” 🤔🤞

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, transient said:

I thought to myself “Groot just made Mahomes look like EJ Manual… I wonder if Reid is going to bench him for the rest of the season, now, in favor of a gutless, short-sliding, drunk-ass uncle Rico impersonator?” 🤔🤞

Depends...  How big are Mahomes' hands?

16 minutes ago, transient said:

Chad Henne better start growing a mustache!!

Not sure this is the best "what if" scenario to dive into given Watt is healthy and playing well in AZ. 

The DEF would probably be even better this season with Watt on the team, depending on how exactly we fit him under the cap. The most likely scenario would be we cut Addison and pull some shenanigans with signing bonuses. The other major DEF moves could've been the same (draft Rousseau, sign Milano) and it wouldn't have killed our cap situation for future seasons. 

I don't feel bad about not signing him, but I'm not going to celebrate it either. 

• Like (+1) 2

If we had added Watt, we would've still drafted Rousseau. We obviously would not have also drafted Boogie, and Creed Humphrey went 2 picks later. That would've been great, but Watt wanted to be paid for the player he was 3 years ago, not who he is now, so it never happened. That said, Watt will not play 17 games this year anyway, so I'm glad it's not with us..

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Yeah, the Patrick Price, the Rodgers Rate, and Gronk trying to weasel in on the insurance for veterans are all pretty annoying. These guys make more money in a single season than most people make in their entire careers. Car insurance rates are the last thing they need to worry 

Yes I rather have Allen who had that string of commercials before one of the earlier games.  Was the Buffalo Wild Wings, then a Oshei Children's Hospital Patricia Allen Foundation commercial  and then some west herr Tasker/Allen  car commercials.  

Allen's charity work is known league wide thanks to the publicity generated by Bills Mafia's donations and creation of the Patricia Allen Wing at Oshei.  Its not a gimmick to milk the publicity,  as Allen has worked with Super Cade even before he was a first round draft pick of the Bills.   And Allen was dealing with a big personal loss.. and Bills Mafia takes Bills loses personally. And prior to that his family's track record in community enrichment in supporting local schools.  

Buffalo may be one of the smallest NFL cities but it it by far the most BIG-hearted.  Let Mahomes and Rodgers rep the Just like a good neighbor state farm.  

I'd rather have our Josh Allen who fits right in here in the City of Good Neighbors.  If he hits his car with a overthrown dart in his backyard and smashes his windshield he may just call west herr directly and they fix his windshield on the house part of the perks doing those commercials.

Edited by AuntieEm

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.