Is Mahomes regressing?? (Sarcasm)

RunTheBall

If this belongs in another thread please merge.

Obviously Mahomes is still one of the best QBs in the league but has anyone else noticed how quick he gets happy feet? It’s not just this game. I’ve watched a fair amount of KC games on the Sunday ticket and Mahomes has not been as effortlessly effective so far this season as in seasons past. He’s not even getting hit that often but just pressuring him a bit seems to throw his game off more this season than in the past. I don’t think he’s always been the most mechanically sound QB, he’s just got such an arm like Josh that he’s gotten away with it. It seems right now if Kelce isn’t wide open or Hill isn’t streaking behind the D he’s a little panicky and starts skipping passes or throwing off his back foot. Any QB including Josh will play worse when pressured and frustrated , just wondering if anyone else thinks he’s getting a little jumpy back there. Don’t get me started on his complaining to the refs and looking for a flag on every single play. He’s getting Brady-esque in that regard.

Reminded me of Josh from weeks 1&2 this season. Mahomes missed a number of throws when he had time to throw and an open receiver. Combine that with some drops by receivers and it turns into a pretty bad game. 

Regression?

Or just a rough patch?

I'm betting the latter, but we'll find out over the course of the season. 

They're in a tough spot record wise but I honestly don't think they'll lose too many more. They're too talented and too experienced to lay down and let this continue. I think they'll work through it and by season's send will be one of the top teams again and one of the favorites for the SB.

One of the great things about last night is that we get the tie breaker over them and have moved nicely ahead in the AFC standings so unless we completely mess things up they'll have to travel to Buffalo if we do end up playing them again

Just like any other QB, if you rattle them or get in their head it effects them visibly on the field. I can't remember ever seeing him throw that many passes in the dirt tbh. Even though the pass rush wasn't getting sack after sack, the pressure was enough to make him uncomfortable and every chance our guys had they laid a hit on him. He was clearly out of sorts. 

• Like (+1) 2

Teams have adjusted to him and are playing a soft two deep look and banging up Kelce. Without a good WR2 the Chiefs now have a defensive gameplan that will challenge them. 

The soft two deep look takes away Hills deep plays esp if you have good safety play. So then you look to Kelce who teams are banging up down low and willing to take holding calls and penalties against. 

KC then can run the ball which will work against lesser defenses but against a good Dline that isn’t going to work. Mahomes and KC will still put up huge numbers against mid level or lower defenses they just can’t be constrained easily but if you have a good defense they can be flustered.

I would not be shocked to see KC try and trade for a WR by the trade deadline. They need some other way to hurt better defenses. 

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

Just like any other QB, if you rattle them or get in their head it effects them visibly on the field. I can't remember ever seeing him throw that many passes in the dirt tbh. Even though the pass rush wasn't getting sack after sack, the pressure was enough to make him uncomfortable and every chance our guys had they laid a hit on him. He was clearly out of sorts. 

Mahomes had time, the Bills pressured him but not anything insane. What happened in my eyes was that the Bills made KC play a style that is very patient and the Chiefs made little errors that were forced by effective disciplined play by the Bills.

Mahomes wasn’t on the run every play like in the Super Bowl even if there was some effective pressure it wasn’t anything crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

I still think he's the best QB in the NFL, but guys like Allen, Murray, Herbert, etc are closing the gap quickly.

What is happening with the Chiefs this year so far should be a cautionary tale for the Bills in terms of what too expect a few years down the road (i.e. attrition of talent because of top heavy investments on star players).

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Mahomes had time, the Bills pressured him but not anything insane. What happened in my eyes was that the Bills made KC play a style that is very patient and the Chiefs made little errors that were forced by effective disciplined play by the Bills.

Mahomes wasn’t on the run every play like in the Super Bowl even if there was some effective pressure it wasn’t anything crazy.

No there wasn't a bunch of blitzing, but we were constantly making him move off of his spot, throw off of his back foot, or attempt to improvise while being chased. He was clearly uncomfortable. The fact he couldn't push the ball downfield like he wanted was frustrating him as well. For 3 years he's basically done whatever he wanted to back there. This year the way teams are playing defense, finally, is leading to him pressing. He already has 6 INT's in 5 games. Last year he had 6 INT's for the entire season. 

2 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

If this belongs in another thread please merge.

Obviously Mahomes is still one of the best QBs in the league but has anyone else noticed how quick he gets happy feet? It’s not just this game. I’ve watched a fair amount of KC games on the Sunday ticket and Mahomes has not been as effortlessly effective so far this season as in seasons past. He’s not even getting hit that often but just pressuring him a bit seems to throw his game off more this season than in the past. I don’t think he’s always been the most mechanically sound QB, he’s just got such an arm like Josh that he’s gotten away with it. It seems right now if Kelce isn’t wide open or Hill isn’t streaking behind the D he’s a little panicky and starts skipping passes or throwing off his back foot. Any QB including Josh will play worse when pressured and frustrated , just wondering if anyone else thinks he’s getting a little jumpy back there. Don’t get me started on his complaining to the refs and looking for a flag on every single play. He’s getting Brady-esque in that regard.

I'm not sure....but I do know the chefs are in trouble....They have a tough schedule and I don't think they're catching San Diego. Now you're talking about wild card spots and there could be a lot of teams fighting for those with KC having three huge AFC losses already. Looking at the standings they'll probably come back and get a WC spot but it is way more difficult trying to win on the road without that bye week (I think we get it, but big game this week) .

40 minutes ago, H2o said:

Right...it's exactly what happened to Josh week one you just don't see it happen to mahomes that often...theres not a whole lot you can do when your oline can't block 4 guys when everyone else is in coverage...not being able to trust those guys up front makes even a great qb very uncomfortable 

26 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I still think he's the best QB in the NFL, but guys like Allen, Murray, Herbert, etc are closing the gap quickly.

What is happening with the Chiefs this year so far should be a cautionary tale for the Bills in terms of what too expect a few years down the road (i.e. attrition of talent because of top heavy investments on star players).

I'm curious what happens to mahomes when kelce retires 

• Agree 1

Mahomes was very uncomfortable with our pressure.  Something I noticed on multiple pressures was the fact that our linemen were disciplined enough to stop their rush if it was going to give him a lane to roll out.  He's like Josh, great when he's rolling out.  We kept him hemmed into an amoeba pocket all night and he was very unsettled.  It was a great game plan and showed a high level of understanding about what Mahomes doesn't do well.  Our bull rushes were utilized to perfection to keep the pocket closing in and our ends were highly disciplined to keep his effective rollouts to a minimun.  Also, literally can't say enough about what was happening in our secondary.  Times that he did get out of the pocket he simply didn't have options down the field.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LDD said:

Mahomes was very uncomfortable with our pressure.  Something I noticed on multiple pressures was the fact that our linemen were disciplined enough to stop their rush if it was going to give him a lane to roll out.  He's like Josh, great when he's rolling out.  We kept him hemmed into an amoeba pocket all night and he was very unsettled.  It was a great game plan and showed a high level of understanding about what Mahomes doesn't do well.  Our bull rushes were utilized to perfection to keep the pocket closing in and our ends were highly disciplined to keep his effective rollouts to a minimun.  Also, literally can't say enough about what was happening in our secondary.  Times that he did get out of the pocket he simply didn't have options down the field.  

I agree completely. 
Please post more.

1 hour ago, DallasMac said:

He definitely looked off.  His first pick was not on him but he had a bunch of throws that were landing at the feet of his recievers.  

He has looked “off” all season. What I mean by “off” is to his standards.. even off he is top 5 QB in the NFL.. makes you wonder if the SB gave him happy feet and he doesn’t trust his line.

• Agree 1

Honestly?  He just wasn't very good last night.  And by that I don't mean "off day for a great QB not very good."  I mean "Davis Mills not very good."  He still has crazy athletic ability, so he was able to break free for a few runs, but for the most part our defenders contained their lanes and frustrated him up front, and our two-deep coverage forced him into taking the underneath stuff.  I lost track of how many passes he skipped or threw in front of/behind his targets.  His hands measure only 9 1/4 inches across, one of the smallest hand sizes among NFL QBs, and it showed last night in the rain.  (Josh's hands are almost a full inch wider.)  

You can talk about his lack of weapons past Kelce and Hill, and you can talk about his porous O-line (which had its hands full all night and had to hold repeatedly despite the fact that we NEVER blitzed)... but the truth was, when the Chiefs needed him to step up and execute several competent passes in a row, he couldn't do it.  If he hadn't been bailed out by convenient flags in at least two drives (the opening one and one in the third/fourth quarter), this game would have been an even bigger blowout than it was.

14 minutes ago, LDD said:

Yep - multiple times during the game the pressure got Mahomes off his mark and he started to run around and I was yelling "Contain!  Contain!" and the D did just that

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.