report- Empire State Development downtown stadium proposal

loyal2dagame

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Pretty big statement top make with no data to back it up!   Sure not everyone wants to go to a restaurant, but a good number may if they had the choice especially in December when snowing or raining real hard.  Today they don't have the option so no way of knowing.

Actually one could argue, do people tailgate at Sabres games?  Or do they go to restaurants?  If so that proves that's what people really want.  Does this really prove anything, no!  But is a nice way to use some data to back a preconceived conclusion. 

Back it up? Bring your own beer/booze while being surrounded by people you want to be surrounded by before the game vs. 7 to 10 dollar drinks and who knows what on the menu in a crowded restaurant?

I know what I'm taking.

And bringing up tailgating at a Sabres game is funny. Tell me when people start showing up 4 to 5 hours before a Sabres game like they do a Bills game.

Edited by Beast
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So how do you build on what we have now? More parking lots for tailgating? Table jumping? Actual vomitoriums? I could suggest some things but judging by your "lame" reference you probably wouldn't like them. Even with a downtown stadium there will be plenty of places to tailgate.

How about a permanent tailgate structure you “rent” for the season with grill, basic utensils trash can, port a John,etc. Make different “levels” of that at different price points. Expand the food trucks, stage for a band, etc. There’s lots of creative things that can be done to not only build on what we have in OP but also eliminate some of the crap by pricing out the 20 year olds. And yeah I probably wouldn’t like the rest of your lame responses. Even the “good” downtown stadium experiences like NOLA and Nashville are fun for a game or two a year but would get old over the course of a season. 

8 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

To me it's downtown stadium, or move the team.

Investing 1.4 billion into OP is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.  

You want to have PSLs and higher ticket prices, the stadium better be near hotels and restaurants. 

Your post is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

"downtown or move the team" :lol:  Can we be anymore melodramatic?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

To me it's downtown stadium, or move the team.

Investing 1.4 billion into OP is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.  

You want to have PSLs and higher ticket prices, the stadium better be near hotels and restaurants. 

What do PSL's have to do with hotels being nearby?

And who is going to the game to eat at a restaurant?  "If I'm going to pay more for a Bills ticket then I sure as hell better be able to overpay for crappy food at some new stadium-side restaurant before or after the game, before I retire to my junior suite at the Hilton Garden Inn----or move the team!!!"

Excellent points..

• Haha (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What do PSL's have to do with hotels being nearby?

And who is going to the game to eat at a restaurant?  "If I'm going to pay more for a Bills ticket then I sure as hell better be able to overpay for crappy food at some new stadium-side restaurant before or after the game, before I retire to my junior suite at the Hilton Garden Inn----or move the team!!!"

Excellent points..

You realize that higher ticket prices and PSLs would bring in a different type of fan (probably not a guy like yourself).  The fans that are willingly to pay more for a ticket and PSL, will be the people that want to go to restaurants and have clients fly in for the game.

The Bills catering to the current type of fan, but with higher prices, will result in a lot of empty seats.  

3 hours ago, Beast said:

Back it up? Bring your own beer/booze while being surrounded by people you want to be surrounded by before the game vs. 7 to 10 dollar drinks and who knows what on the menu in a crowded restaurant?

I know what I'm taking.

And bringing up tailgating at a Sabres game is funny. Tell me when people start showing up 4 to 5 hours before a Sabres game like they do a Bills game.

All based on what you see around you only with people who have no other options but to tailgate outside.  So they are crowded restaurants, hmmm.....  must mean people are interested in going there!  I assume you never go out to eat as you don't know what's on the menu.

As far as people not there 4 to 5 hours prior to a Sabres game, do you go door to door in every restaurant and check to see if empty?  Are they going to go 4 to 5 hours early to restaurant, not likely, but nothing wrong with that either.  But they may be there one to two hours early eating someplace.

Sure people like to tailgate and many probably more than half would continue, but maybe not for every game and some may like the options and some may prefer it too.  For someone going to game maybe just with one other person, they may prefer the restaurant options.

But you're just dismissing it based on nothing to compare against.  I'm sure there are some other cities with bars and restaurants within walking distance of stadiums that do very well but also tailgating nearby too.

Your logic here is as sound as flipping a one sided coin and every time it comes up heads and then making the statement: "See heads always wins!:  You're comparing against nothing.

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

People spending money at the stadium and local businesses? Ever been to a Ravens game? You have tailgating but you also have restaurants hosting pregame parties. Not everyone wants to grill and chug beer.

While that's true (I don't tailgate at all but am a season ticket holder) we enjoy the multitude of parking options (we park at ECC) and the variety of exit options that OP offers. I don't feel like that would be the case down town, would it? I foresee tons of traffic congestion. I realize other cities deal with it but I haven't been to NFL games in other cities.

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

Those sound like things an out-of-towner would want to do. Who wants to throw a football around inside Pearl Street Brewing? Or watch Kenny get blasted with ketchup outside Southern Tier?

Just my opinion.

I don’t know how tailgating would work at all downtown. There’s no space.

Downtown Buffalo isn't midtown Manhattan. They're are plenty of pockets where tailgating could happen. Ganson St. across the Buffalo River, by Riverworks comes to mind. They're are lots of empty lots in the First Ward. If you want to tailgate there are spots, even downtown.

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, Doc said:

If you want the downtown experience so bad, go there after the game.  There is nothing stopping you from doing that even now. 

The 1-2 hours it would take to get out of the lots and drive down the stadium would probably be a deterrent to many. 

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Downtown Buffalo isn't midtown Manhattan. They're are plenty of pockets where tailgating could happen. Ganson St. across the Buffalo River, by Riverworks comes to mind. They're are lots of empty lots in the First Ward. If you want to tailgate there are spots, even downtown.

Yea but how am I supposed to get so drunk I pass out.

We cant lose that.

Also you want me to spend money at local breweries and restaurants when I can just buy a 30 of keystone for 18 bucks. Get real brah

29 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

While that's true (I don't tailgate at all but am a season ticket holder) we enjoy the multitude of parking options (we park at ECC) and the variety of exit options that OP offers. I don't feel like that would be the case down town, would it? I foresee tons of traffic congestion. I realize other cities deal with it but I haven't been to NFL games in other cities.

Lets not act like you are in and out of the stadium in 5 minutes. It takes upwards of an hour+ to get out of a lot of these lots around the stadium.

Downtown would be no different. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So how do you build on what we have now? More parking lots for tailgating? Table jumping? Actual vomitoriums? I could suggest some things but judging by your "lame" reference you probably wouldn't like them. Even with a downtown stadium there will be plenty of places to tailgate.

That is funny.  The pictures this conjured up in my mind are great!

General comment:

As to the downtown stadium site let's all wait to see what the proposal looks like and what type of parking/tailgating will be available?

I still think the stadium being located by Conway Park and the parking being in the old Perry Projects is a good option.

More than enough for those who want to still tailgate. 

16 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The 1-2 hours it would take to get out of the lots and drive down the stadium would probably be a deterrent to many. 

Yea but how am I supposed to get so drunk I pass out.

We cant lose that.

Also you want me to spend money at local breweries and restaurants when I can just buy a 30 of keystone for 18 bucks. Get real brah

Lets not act like you are in and out of the stadium in 5 minutes. It takes upwards of an hour+ to get out of a lot of these lots around the stadium.

Downtown would be no different. 

Pretend? We're talking about stadium parking here. What kind of tool would I have to be to hide facts to make a point about stadium parking? Take my comment with the given that it takes some time to get out of there no matter where the stadium is, that better? Generally we are out and on the 90 in 20 min from ECC.

31 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ok, so you’re talking about tailgating in random pockets - some of which are not all that close to the stadium, including crossing a river. That’s even more ridiculous in my opinion.

Edited by Einstein

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I've gone to college games in the south where people are tailgating over a mile from the stadium.  How close do some of you need to be?

Preferably, right outside the stadium. 

I’ve never liked the “other programs do it THIS way, so that means it’s good” line of thinking.

Im sure if you asked fans of that college team whether they’d park a mile away, or right next to the stadium, they’d pick right next to the stadium.

Seahawk fans still complain about not having space next to their stadium.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Preferably, right outside the stadium. 

I’ve never liked the “other programs do it THIS way, so that means it’s good” line of thinking.

Im sure if you asked fans of that college team whether they’d park a mile away, or right next to the stadium, they’d pick right next to the stadium.

Seahawk fans still complain about not having space next to their stadium.

I don't think it's "good".  Of course most people would love to tailgate right outside the stadium, but it's not abnormal.  

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

Those sound like things an out-of-towner would want to do. Who wants to throw a football around inside Pearl Street Brewing? Or watch Kenny get blasted with ketchup outside Southern Tier?

Just my opinion.

I don’t know how tailgating would work at all downtown. There’s no space.

Have you ever been to the first ward neighborhood? Oh there’ll be tailgating. They tailgate for the annual 5k run. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Ok, so you’re talking about tailgating in random pockets - some of which are not all that close to the stadium, including crossing a river. That’s even more ridiculous in my opinion.

So walking over a bridge is unacceptable? How do people who park on California survive the death march to Southwestern Blvd, with the creek in the way?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.