The big 3: AFC offensive player of the week stat

rayray808

pegoeb2stpy4phhrjskm.png

CRAZY STAT:

Only 3 players have won this award in each of the last 4 years...

1) Josh Allen

2) Derrick Henry

3) Pat Mahomes

I know there are two extreme sides of the spectrum with this award: the first camp being the "these fluff awards don't matter, I want Super Bowls" compared to the "Weekly awards = potential MVP's... LETS GO!".

However, during a FOUR YEAR SPAN it is pretty amazing that only three players have won it, and each player on that list is a franchise level and generational talent.

For me, this award makes me feel less worried that last year was a fluke and gets me genuinely pumped that every Sunday we have a QB that can potentially be the top offensive player in our division each week. It's been a looooong time for some of us, so regardless of our stance on the credibility of the award, hopefully it's something that can bring our fan base together. GO BILLS!

EDIT:

the verbiage is a bit confusing and took me awhile to understand also, so here is the simplest way to put it...

In 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 the only players who have won the weekly award in EACH OF THOSE FOUR YEARS is Josh Allen, Derrick Henry and Pat Mahomes.

Edited by rayray808
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

pegoeb2stpy4phhrjskm.png

CRAZY STAT:

1) Josh Allen

2) Derrick Henry

3) Pat Mahomes

I know there are two extreme sides of the spectrum with this award: the first camp being the "these fluff awards don't matter, I want Super Bowls" compared to the "Weekly awards = potential MVP's... LETS GO!".

However, during a FOUR YEAR SPAN it is pretty amazing that only three players have won it, and each player on that list is a franchise level and generational talent.

For me, this award makes me feel less worried that last year was a fluke and gets me genuinely pumped that every Sunday we have a QB that can potentially be the top offensive player in our division each week. It's been a looooong time for some of us, so regardless of our stance on the credibility of the award, hopefully it's something that can bring our fan base together. GO BILLS!

Division?

Think big, think the league, bro! Because it's true, Josh is at the very top of the league. He is a MVP candidate. He has the ability (within the offense that McBeane constructed) to make us almost unbeatable on any given week. He can raise us up that high, yes he can.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rayray808 said:

pegoeb2stpy4phhrjskm.png

CRAZY STAT:

1) Josh Allen

2) Derrick Henry

3) Pat Mahomes

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying out of the last 4 years...only 3 different players have won the AFC player of the week?  Pro Football Reference (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/awards/players-of-the-week.htm) shows Lamar Jackson, Stefon Diggs, Big Ben, Watson, Tyreek Hill, Baker, Chase Claypool, Joe Mixon...just in 2020 alone.  Or did you mean only 3 players to win it multiple times in the last 4 years?  Because it shows Lamar won it twice last year...

Seriously just asking for clarification. 

EDIT:  in just 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018 I'm counting 26 different players having one it.

2107903801_AFCPlayeroftheWeek.thumb.png.6cec904310e5038641134d038da89ef4.png

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Johnnycage46 said:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying out of the last 4 years...only 3 different players have won the AFC player of the week?  Pro Football Reference (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/awards/players-of-the-week.htm) shows Lamar Jackson, Stefon Diggs, Big Ben, Watson, Tyreek Hill, Baker, Chase Claypool, Joe Mixon...just in 2020 alone.  Or did you mean only 3 players to win it multiple times in the last 4 years?  Because it shows Lamar won it twice last year...

Seriously just asking for clarification. 

Maybe just for week 3 of each year?

Nevermind, this entire thread makes no sense.

• Haha (+1) 1

At least once every year

Josh

Allen completed 32 of 43 pass attempts (74.4 percent) for 358 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions for a 129.8 rating and added a rushing touchdown in Buffalo’s 43-21 victory over Washington.  

This is the seventh-career Offensive Player of the Week award for Allen:

2018: Week 17

2019: Week 11

2020: Weeks 2, 9, 13, 15

2021: Week 3

Allen trails only Pro Football Hall of Famer Jim Kelly (10-time winner) for the most Offensive Player of the Week awards by a Buffalo quarterback. 

He joins Patrick Mahomes and Derrick Henry as the only players to win a Player of the Week in each of the past four seasons (2018-21).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So Allen has won it every year he's been in the league??  Can't recall any amazing games from his 1st two seasons, do remember last season was the 1st time he passed for 300 yards in a game.  What did he do to win it the first two seasons?  Bunch of rushing TD's??

he won it twice in one season 

the verbiage is a bit confusing and took me awhile to understand also, so here is the simplest way to put it...

In 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 the only players who have won the weekly award in EACH OF THOSE FOUR YEARS is Josh Allen, Derrick Henry and Pat Mahomes.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

In 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 the only players who have won the weekly award in EACH OF THOSE FOUR YEARS is Josh Allen, Derrick Henry and Pat Mahomes.

Makes sense now.  Pretty cool.  Also pretty cool that Allen I think has won it 5 times in his last 19 starts.  Been a pretty good run since the beginning of last season.  Not to mention his player of the month last year.

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So Allen has won it every year he's been in the league??  Can't recall any amazing games from his 1st two seasons, do remember last season was the 1st time he passed for 300 yards in a game.  What did he do to win it the first two seasons?  Bunch of rushing TD's??

When he first won it in 2018, it was week 17 against the Dolphins. He had 319 total yards and 5 total TDs. 

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK so that was his rookie year.  And did he win one again in 2019?

Yeah, one in 2019 and three in 2020. So he’s one it at least once in each of the last three seasons. 

EDIT: Forgot to include this week’s award which makes it at least once in each of the last four seasons.  

Edited by K-9

57 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

In the last 19 weeks Josh has won AFC offensive player of the week 5 times or 26.3% of the time. That in itself is an amazing stat and shows just how far he's come since the start of the 2020 season. Top 5 player in the player in the league during that span.

Also, the only reason he hasn’t won it 6 times over that time span is because he threw 3TD’s to Diggs last year in the New England Monday night game. Allen had 4 TD’s and 300+ yards in that game and would have won the award a sixth time if his 4th TD went to anyone else but Diggs. 

8 hours ago, Dat said:

At least once every year

Josh

Allen completed 32 of 43 pass attempts (74.4 percent) for 358 yards and four touchdowns with no interceptions for a 129.8 rating and added a rushing touchdown in Buffalo’s 43-21 victory over Washington.  

This is the seventh-career Offensive Player of the Week award for Allen:

2018: Week 17

2019: Week 11

2020: Weeks 2, 9, 13, 15

2021: Week 3

Allen trails only Pro Football Hall of Famer Jim Kelly (10-time winner) for the most Offensive Player of the Week awards by a Buffalo quarterback. 

He joins Patrick Mahomes and Derrick Henry as the only players to win a Player of the Week in each of the past four seasons (2018-21).

lets not forget that there were only three weeks to win it this year so far, so the list is likely to expand. I’m sure Lamar will win it at least once. Maybe Derek carr qualifies from previous years. Tureen Hill also comes to kind. 

13 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

lets not forget that there were only three weeks to win it this year so far, so the list is likely to expand. I’m sure Lamar will win it at least once. Maybe Derek carr qualifies from previous years. Tureen Hill also comes to kind. 

Lamar can't make the 4 time list because he didn't win his rookie year.

Carr and Hill also didn't win in each of the last 3 years