Jacksonville is historically bad...

eball

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Really good point.  Is there a consensus #1 QB out there?  I am not aware of one.   If not a trade down might not be feasible and they stand pat and take the kid from Oregon

This draft is probably the weakest QB wise since 2014. Talent like always is there but their is no definitive player and many question marks. I am sure by the draft a few will emerge but take a look since 2014 and I can’t remember a year where the crop felt so iffy since then.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Jags are no where near as bad as the Jets. Jags are bad but the Jets are Vomit in your Mouth, Mother in Law coming to live with You, Lost your Job and Its your Baby kinda bad.

They play in The Jersey Swamps on 12/26.  That will be a real treat for some 12 year old to have tickets to that game.  Battle for the #1 draft position.

9 hours ago, corta765 said:

So here is the wild thing with the Jags and how bad the Lions have been by comparison and why no team even nears how bad the Lions are. Even though the Jaguars have been absolutely awful for the last decade plus, they have the same number of conference title game appearances and one more playoff win then Lions in the last decade then the Lions since the SB 1. The Jags are bad but odds are at some point they will put it together in some capacity. What truly is wild with Detroit is just how abysmal and awful they have been where they literally have expansion teams that have sucked with success winning and doing more.

just because the Lions have one playoff win in the last 65 years does not make them bad :)

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Mango said:

On any given Sunday I guess. But it doesn't look too hot. Urban Meyer is an easy guy to root against. 

Jags Remaining Schedule: 

@Bengals 

Titans 

Dolphins 

bye

@Seahawks 

Bills 

@Colts

49ers 

Falcons 

@Rams 

@Titans

Texans

@Jets

@Patriots

Colts

Best shot of ending the skid are @ Bengals, Dolphins, @ Colts, or Falcons. But I don't feel hugely confident. If they get to Buffalo, I am guessing they at least tie the record. 

This is where I die in survivor pool.  I think the only team the Jags can beat is the Jets.  I think the only team the Jets can beat is the Jags.  They will likely try to play for a loss for the number one pick.  So, who knows who will win that one.  When do I pick the other team if I get lucky and pick correctly that week?

Edited by Scott7975

20 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm amazed the Browns losing streak wasn't longer. 

They went 1-15 in 2016 and 0-16 in 2017. That 1 win separated a 14 and a 17 game losing streak. 

The Browns actually had a fair amount of talent on defense the year they went 0-16. Good linebackers and Myles Garett. They had Jason Mcourty and Jabrill Peppers in the secondary. They sunk themselves when they cut Osweiler in camp. He sucked, but they would have won a game or two with replacement level QB play. Kizer absolutely sucked and was not even remotely ready to play

Hue Jackson was a dumbass

• Like (+1) 1

Urban Meyer is about to have a flare up of "health issues" that resolve just in time for the winter recruiting trips in his new job at USC. 

I think a lot of the legendary college coaches benefit from having completely stacked teams that overmatch most opponents. Win a big game or two and you're undefeated for the year. Do that for a decade and you're a legend. 

In the NFL, doesn't work so easily... 

Doesn't mean you're not a good coach. But maybe many of these guys are just good, not legendarily amazing. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 1

As bad as Jacksonville is, they still pop up with a decent season now and again. They had an amazing start to a franchise with 4 out of their first 5 seasons being winning seasons and 4 playoff wins including two conference championship appearances. Then from 2004-2007 they had winning record or .500 record with a pair of playoff appearances and a playoff win. And although from 2008-2016 they had a real bad run they at least had a fine season in 2017 with the run to the AFCCG. 

Since their inception in 1995 the Jags have won 7 playoff games and made the conference finals 3 times. Whereas the Lions since 1970 have won one playoff game. 

On 9/29/2021 at 1:29 PM, eball said:

I guess I didn't realize the Jags are currently on an 18-game losing streak, which is 3rd all-time since the AFL/NFL merger.  Should they lose to Cinci Thursday night they will match the 2nd longest such streak, matching the Detroit Lions' run of ineptitude that bracketed their 0-16 campaign.

The all-time worst?  Tampa Bay, who lost the first 26 games of their existence.

Looking ahead...if Jacksonville doesn't end their streak before then, they will carry a 22-game skid into the 11/7 matchup with Buffalo.

Actually, the Chicago Cardinals had a 29 game losing streak 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_longest_losing_streaks

On 9/29/2021 at 12:39 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

They made this tweet after winning last year's opener. They havent won a game SINCE.

Follow-up Tweet: "DEAR GOD WE'LL TAKE ANYTHING WE CAN GET! PLEASE SHOW US MERCY!!! Hell, we'd suck a **** for a tie right now!"

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/30/2021 at 12:37 AM, corta765 said:

This draft is probably the weakest QB wise since 2014. Talent like always is there but their is no definitive player and many question marks. I am sure by the draft a few will emerge but take a look since 2014 and I can’t remember a year where the crop felt so iffy since then.

I think you mean 2013? 2014 at least had Carr and Bridgewater. 

Of the QBs people are talking about in this class... not a big Spencer Rattler guy, Sam Howell has a bit of a Baker Mayfield vibe but has been inconsistent when I've seen him play, I quite like the Ole Miss kid he reminds me a bit of a smaller Jordan Love, there are some decision making questions, but he has been decent to start this season and I love his release. Just say no to Bo Nix and JT Daniels. Apparently there is a kid at Nevada? Not seen any of him. 

Basically I have seen nobody yet in this class who I go straight away "now that is a first round Quarterback." That isn't to say someone won't get there for me by April or that one won't be taken but if you are a New York Giants type team who have a Daniel Jones and you are 50/50 at the year's end this might be the year to go "okay let's give him another shot." Ironically the last class I felt this way about was that 2019 class which included Daniel Jones where, until Kyler Murray changed course late in the day and declared, I was adamant that there wasn't a Quarterback in that draft with a true first round grade. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, The Dean said:

Actually, the Chicago Cardinals had a 29 game losing streak 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_longest_losing_streaks

“Since the AFL/NFL merger” is very clearly in the first sentence of my post.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Sam Howell has a bit of a Baker Mayfield vibe but has been inconsistent when I've seen him play

Howell is far and away the best QB of this class.  This season he’s getting murdered behind a very shaky OL but he still has two games in which he threw for 300 and ran for 100.  Big time arm.  I think he will be a very solid pro.

22 minutes ago, eball said:

Howell is far and away the best QB of this class.  This season he’s getting murdered behind a very shaky OL but he still has two games in which he threw for 300 and ran for 100.  Big time arm.  I think he will be a very solid pro.

Yea I don't mean Baker Mayfield as an insult. Baker is a good Quarterback. He isn't ever going to be elite but he will be a starter in the league for a long time. Howell reminds me of him - shorter than ideal, arm bigger than people realise (Baker has a very good arm), he is a better runner than Baker but Baker as a college QB was a threat to run he just isn't athletic enough to do that in the NFL where Howell might get away with it a bit more. What I haven't seen from him yet in what I have watched is that consistency. I haven't really dug into any of the Quarterbacks yet though, at this point it is just based on what I see watching the games which is always how I try and get a baseline before I focus in on breaking their game down after Christmas. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Of the QBs people are talking about in this class... not a big Spencer Rattler guy, Sam Howell has a bit of a Baker Mayfield vibe but has been inconsistent when I've seen him play, I quite like the Ole Miss kid he reminds me a bit of a smaller Jordan Love, there are some decision making questions, but he has been decent to start this season and I love his release. Just say no to Bo Nix and JT Daniels. Apparently there is a kid at Nevada? Not seen any of him. 

Basically I have seen nobody yet in this class who I go straight away "now that is a first round Quarterback." That isn't to say someone won't get there for me by April or that one won't be taken but if you are a New York Giants type team who have a Daniel Jones and you are 50/50 at the year's end this might be the year to go "okay let's give him another shot." Ironically the last class I felt this way about was that 2019 class which included Daniel Jones where, until Kyler Murray changed course late in the day and declared, I was adamant that there wasn't a Quarterback in that draft with a true first round grade. 

14 wasn't much better and Bridgewater and Carr were 32 and 2nd round. But agreed 13' wasn't good, although both Geno and EJ had at least some hype due to college performance.

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

14 wasn't much better and Bridgewater and Carr were 32 and 2nd round. But agreed 13' wasn't good, although both Geno and EJ had at least some hype due to college performance.

There were 4 guys in that 2014 class though.... there was Bortles and Manziel too. Bortles had some moments in his career (reach an AFCCG) but obviously flamed out eventually, Manziel was an outright bust. Carr is a top 10 Quarterback and yes he went early day 2 but he was a potential 1st rounder and Bridgewater went end of the first (which was considered a major fall - most folks had him as the #1 QB in the class). If you looked at it at draft day there were 4 "first round" type prospects which is not a dreadful group. If you look at it in hindsight it produced a top 10/12 Quarterback and another low end starter / high end backup in Bridgewater plus a guy in Bortles who started for 6 seasons. That isn't the worst crop. 

I think 2019 is worse than 2014. Other than Murray that was not a good class at draft time and even though Jones has probably done better than I thought he'd do Haskins and Lock have already bombed. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There were 4 guys in that 2014 class though.... there was Bortles and Manziel too. Bortles had some moments in his career (reach an AFCCG) but obviously flamed out eventually, Manziel was an outright bust. Carr is a top 10 Quarterback and yes he went early day 2 but he was a potential 1st rounder and Bridgewater went end of the first (which was considered a major fall - most folks had him as the #1 QB in the class). If you looked at it at draft day there were 4 "first round" type prospects which is not a dreadful group. If you look at it in hindsight it produced a top 10/12 Quarterback and another low end starter / high end backup in Bridgewater plus a guy in Bortles who started for 6 seasons. That isn't the worst crop. 

I think 2019 is worse than 2014. Other than Murray that was not a good class at draft time and even though Jones has probably done better than I thought he'd do Haskins and Lock have already bombed. 

That's fair. 2013 is still the standard bearer for yikes this ain't good and this draft is starting to feel really familiar to that.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Urban Meyer is about to have a flare up of "health issues" that resolve just in time for the winter recruiting trips in his new job at USC. 

I think a lot of the legendary college coaches benefit from having completely stacked teams that overmatch most opponents. Win a big game or two and you're undefeated for the year. Do that for a decade and you're a legend. 

Doesn't mean you're not a good coach. But maybe many of these guys are just good, not legendarily amazing. 

Yeah, being a great college coach is really the perfect storm of being a great recruiter, finding the right college, and having financial backing from that school. Sometimes that financial backing can even be a little shady. You still need coaching talent, but the variables to success are much different than the NFL. 

5 hours ago, eball said:

“Since the AFL/NFL merger” is very clearly in the first sentence of my post

Wasn't meant as a correction, but rather as additional information. 29 games is the actual longest NFL losing streak

22 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I believe taking a HC job in the NFL when coming  from college ball WITH ZERO NFL EXPERIENCE (coaching or playing) is the ultimate arrogance. 

Take an assistant coaching job first, get to know the pro game.

10 hours ago, The Dean said:

Wasn't meant as a correction, but rather as additional information. 29 games is the actual longest NFL losing streak

I believe taking a HC job in the NFL when coming  from college ball WITH ZERO NFL EXPERIENCE (coaching or playing) is the ultimate arrogance. 

Take an assistant coaching job first, get to know the pro game.

It's also the ultimate idiocy on the team who hires a HC with no NFL experience.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah it's not looking like an extraordinary QB class at this point. 

Corral looks like the most impressive physical specimen of the big names........at the 2017 elite 11 he is the guy who drew the Brett Favre comps(Fields got Tyrod comps😉)...........but he's also had the benefit of seasoning over younger guys like Rattler and Howell.    He's a redshirt Junior and will turn 23 about the time that Ole Miss plays their bowl game.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Yeah definitely don't have good odds when teams decide to hire a HC out from a college and new to NFL. Can't think of many that succeeded.

The last HC to succeed with ZERO NFL experience is Jimmy Johnson, I believe.

I suppose I should make clear I mean "sustained success" as some might say Chip Kelly had a good year or two.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

The last HC to succeed with ZERO NFL experience is Jimmy Johnson, I believe.

I suppose I should make clear I mean "sustained success" as some might say Chip Kelly had a good year or two.

Yeah I mean in other words, it's rare

23 hours ago, The Dean said:

Not going to belabor this because you’re a good dude, but (a) the Chicago streak was noted upthread; and (b) referencing the streak since the league merged into its current form is, I think, more relevant. Cheers.

5 hours ago, eball said:

Not going to belabor this because you’re a good dude, but (a) the Chicago streak was noted upthread; and (b) referencing the streak since the league merged into its current form is, I think, more relevant. Cheers.

I hadn't seen it mentioned earlier. It wasn't meant as a competitive thing. Just for completeness. The newer record is probably more relevant, for sure.

Some serious amnesia around here. Jags made AFC title game under Marrone (2018?) and beat a certain team from WNY to get there. Kyle Williams only playoff game.

Under Tom Coughlin they went to the AFC title game beating our glory era Bills and Elway era Broncos along the way. Tony Boselli owned Bruce Smith in that game. 

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

Some serious amnesia around here. Jags made AFC title game under Marrone (2018?) and beat a certain team from WNY to get there. Kyle Williams only playoff game.

Under Tom Coughlin they went to the AFC title game beating our glory era Bills and Elway era Broncos along the way. Tony Boselli owned Bruce Smith in that game. 

Didn’t Natrone Means destroy us that day? That was the end for Kelly.

3 hours ago, stuvian said:

I was stationed in the small town of Eureka, CA in '96. Got to know the owners of the only sports bar and as can be expected I was the only Bills fan around.  A couple months after we lost in the playoffs, the owner "gifted" me this. Still on my Bills shelf all these years later. MIss that guy and his wife, they were top shelf even if they were Raiders fans.

749526193_MikeHollis2.thumb.jpg.022c3c1a9021d9296830554cf4a898ce.jpg

Edited by Coastie
  • Like (+1) 1