Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2021-2022

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Just a reminder that the college hockey Frozen Four games are scheduled for 5pm and 8:30pm Eastern time today.  Michigan plays in the late game

ESPN has the Michigan/Denver game as the early game at 5pm on ESPN2. 

On 4/5/2022 at 3:49 PM, BillsFan4 said:

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-prospect-devon-levi-wants-to-feel-that-pressure-at-northeastern/

Adams also mentioned Ryan Johnson and Portillo:

Not sure I agree with Adams on this. There is big potential downside - Both could turn UFA after next season and Buffalo could lose them for nothing.

Johnson was a 1st round pick and would be going into his senior season.

But I guess Kevyn Adams doesn’t really gain anything by telling the press he’s not ok with either guy going back to school. It could hurt any trade leverage with other teams.

He also may not have the same “Buffalo fan syndrome” fears of players spurning Buffalo that some of us fans do.

It’ll be interesting to see what both players decide. It seems to me like Buffalo wants both to turn pro this year. Adams can try to sell it any way he wants, but there’s no way he wants Portillo going back to school for another year, then having both him and Levi sign next offseason. He’s already said that’s not ideal.

I found this thread interesting.  Levi has a history of doing the unexpected when it comes to his career and where he plays.  I guess we shouldn't read that much into it.

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I found this thread interesting.  Levi has a history of doing the unexpected when it comes to his career and where he plays.  I guess we shouldn't read that much into it.

interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

I can understand why he wanted to go back to school for another season and still feels he has something to prove in the NCAA. He missed his whole freshman year to injury. Then came back and played amazing but was snubbed for awards he should’ve probably won (if he didn’t miss time for the Olympics). Then the season ended on a fluky goal he let in. 

I’m not going to worry about him not signing. If he doesn’t sign after next season then we have issues. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

I can understand why he wanted to go back to school for another season and still feels he has something to prove in the NCAA. He missed his whole freshman year to injury. Then came back and played amazing but was snubbed for awards he should’ve probably won (if he didn’t miss time for the Olympics). Then the season ended on a fluky goal he let in. 

I’m not going to worry about him not signing. If he doesn’t sign after next season then we have issues. 

You guys must have missed the Duane Steinel tweet I posted on Tuesday. Levi himself said he can’t wait to be part of Bills mafia. That clinches it for me. His next stop is the Sabres after he college. And as I’ve said previously, the staggered development of our goalie prospects may actually be beneficial. 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, K-9 said:

You guys must have missed the Duane Steinel tweet I posted on Tuesday. Levi himself said he can’t wait to be part of Bills mafia. That clinches it for me. His next stop is the Sabres after he college. And as I’ve said previously, the staggered development of our goalie prospects may actually be beneficial. 

Its difficult to take anything a hockey player says at face value since they are so well versed in diplomatic answers that don't make waves.  Except for Eichel of course, who can't put in a drive through order without sounding like an ass.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 4/5/2022 at 7:52 PM, T&C said:

Anderson had to get a blade replaced and they did it right by the goal. I honestly had no idea how they did it but I see now... pretty streamlined from the old days.

This is also why you never see players go to the locker room with skate problems anymore either. They all have spare steel on the bench and the trainer just swaps it out. Some guys swap it between periods habitually just so they always have a crisp edge.

So, when Power signs, the question is will he sign and play on Sunday or not? If he doesn't play Sunday there are only 8 games left in the season. He could play all 8 and not till a year off his ELC. If he plays Sunday, he can hit the magic number of 9. 

They could also send him to Rochester but I don't think he's playoff eligible there. They need to get their poop together or they will miss the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to see Power in Buffalo and one of Fitzgerald or Samuelsson (probably Fitzgerald) go down to help them qualify since they are playoff eligible for the Amerks.

31 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

So, when Power signs, the question is will he sign and play on Sunday or not? If he doesn't play Sunday there are only 8 games left in the season. He could play all 8 and not till a year off his ELC. If he plays Sunday, he can hit the magic number of 9. 

They could also send him to Rochester but I don't think he's playoff eligible there. They need to get their poop together or they will miss the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to see Power in Buffalo and one of Fitzgerald or Samuelsson (probably Fitzgerald) go down to help them qualify since they are playoff eligible for the Amerks.

I see no reason why Power should play in the NHL this season. 

• Disagree 1

45 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I see no reason why Power should play in the NHL this season. 

OK, well he can then play the rest of the regular season in Rochester, but I don't think he can play in the playoffs there.  Or he can just not play until the fall I guess.

12 hours ago, eball said:

I’m actually excited to go to a hockey game tonight!  It will be my first in a couple of years.  Curious to see the Buffalo fan turnout, as in the past we’ve had solid support in Raleigh, but the bandwagon Canes fans have been pumped up as well since they have a top team.

Enjoy, and just to say... we technically aren't out of the playoffs.

Fitzgerald is not starting level material----constantly too slow and a turnover machine.    We can blame Dahlin, but who was he stuck with....

Team also stopped attacking once they got up 3-1 and then paid for it dearly------Canes are a legit top 5 team.   

Anderson let in a softie also.   

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

If he plays in the NHL this year, it burns a year of his ELC. Same as when Mittelstadt was signed out of college. He only played 6 NHL games that season.

It won’t count as a service year (toward UFA status) but it’ll burn a year off his ELC.

The only way the Sabres don’t burn a year off his contract is if he signs an ATO with Rochester, which I don’t see happening.

Well, all 3 of our college prospects lost last night in the Frozen Four.

So now Power/Portillo/Johnson watch is on. 

We know Power is going to sign. Hopefully Johnson and Portillo do too. Both can turn UFA after next season if they go back to college.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/peters-denver-minnesota-state-advance-to-frozen-four-final-plus-whats-next-for-michigan-ben-meyers-and-more/

Erik Portillo (BUF) did everything in his power to give Michigan a chance. He was excellent in net for the Wolverines with 30 saves on 33 shots. He was under duress for much of the game and just didn’t get enough goal support. The big Swede had to fight for a lot of those saves through traffic and did a great job. It is believed he will return to school for next season, but nothing is set in stone.

Edited by BillsFan4

Missed the first 2 periods but was surprised to see its 3-3 at intermission... and the Sabres feed for a change. I'm not into the espn+ games, they don't have the same feel. 

23 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

They’re also on the road against two of the best teams in the  Ieague..

Just mentioned that to my wife literally 5 minutes ago. She usually smiles, nods, and says "we'll see". The Sunday matinee game here in Tampa is the one I Really want us to win. 

Seems the younger players we have are more receptive to losses like this against the current best teams... they see and learn how to be on top but still think a loss sucks.

13 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Unless Mr. Levi paid for his ticket to sit up there he's got an eligibility problem.

Levi was invited by the NCAA to be present to accept his Richter and NCAA Rookie of the Year awards, so it wasn’t on the Sabres’ dime in the least.