OT: Are you concerned about Mac Jones?

Success

6 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think Mac Jones is a good fit for the Pats system but long term I am not sure he is going to be a consistent top 10 QB for the Pats. I see him more as a Carr type QB who will float between being an average to above average starting QB. 

Hmmm see I always felt that Carr be a top end QB if he ever got quality coaching. I always felt Gruden was super over rated.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Show us on the doll where the patriots touched you

They manhandled each of us in various different ways for years, c'mon now. Are we really getting to a point where dreading or hating the Pats is overblown lol? They're still the least likeable franchise in sports.

I'm concerned about Mac Jones this year, I'm not necessarily concerned about him long-term if that makes any sense. I don't think he's going to be anything close to Josh's Marino for example. They need a receiver too, I don't think you can get by with a group of hard working individuals and limited play makers like you could have with Brady.

Do bills fans realize that Mac ran about the same 40 time as Josh Allen? Both were high 4.7's. Mac isn't a speedster like fields or Jackson, but he can run. He's way faster than brady. It's not even close. 

Secondly, when you make quick throws and quick decisions like Mac does you don't need to run much. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Speaking as a Pats fan, I am excited because he gets better every week but more importantly he doesn’t have to do it on his own. They got 2 other very good draft picks in Baremore and Stevenson add in Bourne, Judon, and Henry in FA and the Pats look like a Good team.  SB Team? I think they are a few players away from that.

As for Jones I think he will be the second best QB from this draft. I see Wilson, Lance being busts with Lawrence as the stud QB and Fields being an OK starter IF they get a real HC in Chicago. 

I dont think Lawrence will ever hit his potential on that team.  Mac by default will end up the best QB from the draft due to both being good and having way better support.

10 hours ago, KeLLy1278 said:

Well Matt Cassel did take the Chiefs to the playoffs one year and that had nothing to do with Bill.  Garropolo also has talent but he is fragile and inconsistent.  Both of these QBs are not exactly straight up bums.  They do have some talent.  Bill didn’t really change any of that.  He had Bledsoe in New England and all the papers were calling for his head his second season in.  I think the Pats went like 5-11 and were 0-2 when Brady stepped in so Belichick was already on the hot seat.  How quickly people forget.  It’s almost as though we just eliminate anything that Belichick did before Brady including his forgettable stint with Cleveland.  People tend to forget that as a head coach, Bill accomplished absolutely nothing before Brady.  His winning percentage as head coach was well below .500

Yet he’s better than Vince Lombardi, Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, Joe Gibbs and 

I just expressed my opinion.  You are free to disagree, but this is not worth debating.  

Edited by longtimebillsfan

On 9/22/2021 at 11:27 AM, Success said:

This is a good point. I think the chances that Mac becomes an elite QB are slim; he'll probably end up in the Jimmy G mode (who is a good QB, but would likely be better if he was on the Pats still).  

But by the time he gets to a point of being more than a game manager, BB might be retired or close to it.  Without BB, it's a whole different equation.

He's somewhere between Jimmy G and Baker. He will never strike fear in me but he's the kind of game manager that with a good defense be irritating. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

The QBs i named still play right? Unless i misunderstood you. You made mentioned to Jones not being mobile enough to succeed like his counterparts. Are his counterparts collecting hardware left and right? I have acknowledged that the league has evolved, i myself wanted Fields over Jones for that very reason, but to sit here and claim he Jones is not gonna be able to win a playoff game, put a team on his back or win a championship because he doesn't have the capabilities of his counterparts is ridiculous. Because 1. he is only a rookie, you don't have a clue what he is going to do or be capable of, and there is much more to the game then having a athletic QB. That's exactly where i'm coming from.

You also mentioned being able to slide in the pocket, roll out, etc... Have you watched a Mac Jones game? He exactly does that...he has slide up, slide back in the pocket. They have had design rollouts for him, and he has escaped the pockets to get a few gains and slide down....so he can do enough to avoid the sack (without being mobile), which the term "pocket presence" is a trait a QB needs to have in order to be able to succeed in this league. 

yea why would you listen to an actual NFL pro baller who is playing in the league right now....(sarcasm) 

Yea, so i guess all the bills fans who have said something positive about Jones must be a patriots fan to..ha ha....you are making so much sense. i swear (Sarcasm)

No they still have the old mentality of the Patriots being a world beater. You use a lot of sarcasm as if it's a disability for you.

If your a Finns fan Mac Jones is the guy Tua should have been but isn’t. Or maybe that was Justin Herbert. Or maybe anybody else.

Key to shutting him down is to stop the running game, especially on early downs. He is very accurate, throws with touch and anticipation and looks to have a good head on his shoulders, but he is not carrying a team with his arm. 

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's somewhere between Jimmy G and Baker. He will never strike fear in me but he's the kind of game manager that with a good defense be irritating. 

I think he has potential to be somewhere in the 8-12 range of QBs but he will never win games by himself.like Josh.

Of all the teams with rookie QBs, Mac Jones went to the best team and the best coaching staff.  He went to the best possible situation.  A far better situation than Allen had as a rookie QB.

So, Jones has looked pretty good so far in his rookie year.  His strengths seem to be accuracy and decision making.

I'm curious to see him play the Bills.  McD's defense tends to confuse young QBs and provide a blue print on how to beat them.  Mike White being the latest victim but it goes back a few years.  I believe Sam Darnold is the lone loss for McD versus rookie QBs.  That's the game Andre Roberts had at least two big kick returns against the Bills.

Edited by DCbillsfan

11 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

Oh so you are acknowledging there is much more than just having a mobile/athletic QB to win......Thank you. please come back and try to prove me wrong, you do sooo well at it, time and time again. And yea..as great as he is and as much as he has accomplished. If KC didn't have a defense he would not have won a ring. KC needed more than just him in the SB last season. Seeing he doesn't have a defense now again, and he was very lucky when they played the packers Rodgers was not there. Because he, the whole team have been playing very suspect so far. I mean this board had a thread doubt KC being "paper champions" sooo. 

Goalpost move.  You were comparing the accomplishments of Brady and Rogers based on what kind of QB each is.

"If KC didn't have a defense he would not have won a ring?"  I don't even know what that means. What SB-winning QB would that not be applied to?

1 minute ago, Success said:

Goalpost move.  You were comparing the accomplishments of Brady and Rogers based on what kind of QB each is.

"If KC didn't have a defense he would not have won a ring?"  I don't even know what that means. What SB-winning QB would that not be applied to?

Just take a moment and appreciate that hes on our board to spread the gospel of Mac Jones because the regulars on the Pats board are too dumb for intelligent discussion.  Let that sink in.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I dont think Lawrence will ever hit his potential on that team.  Mac by default will end up the best QB from the draft due to both being good and having way better support.

The only one where they had a solid oline/run game.  Thats basically rookie QB 101 - be able to effectively run the ball and keep your QB standing.  Limits turnovers, keeps you in plus down and distance.  They used all their prior year cap space to get some weapons too, not sure it was the greatest use of money but its a considerable improvement over what they had. 

45 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Of all the teams with rookie QBs, Mac Jones went to the best team and the best coaching staff.  He went to the best possible situation.  A far better situation than Allen had as a rookie QB.

So, Jones has looked pretty good so far in his rookie year.  His strengths seem to be accuracy and decision making.

I'm curious to see him play the Bills.  McD's defense tends to confuse young QBs and provide a blue print on how to beat them.  Mike White being the latest victim but it goes back a few years.  I believe Sam Darnold is the lone loss for McD versus rookie QBs.  That's the game Andre Roberts had at least two big kick returns against the Bills.

Great post! I think the games will come down to the Bills stopping the Pats from running, and forcing Jones to pass. 

I also think it will come down to the Bills sticking with the run game and not allowing Judon, Baremore etc to just purely pass rush.  IMO that be a recipe for disaster for the Bills.

28 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Just take a moment and appreciate that hes on our board to spread the gospel of Mac Jones because the regulars on the Pats board are too dumb for intelligent discussion.  Let that sink in.

Dude imagine this board if the last time your team was truly horrible happened almost 30 years ago.  So our boards filled with spoiled fans who have never ever even seen tough times never mind truly horrid times like the early 90’s where we would chant for Zolak to start! Lol

25 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Dude imagine this board if the last time your team was truly horrible happened almost 30 years ago.  So our boards filled with spoiled fans who have never ever even seen tough times never mind truly horrid times like the early 90’s where we would chant for Zolak to start! Lol

You're basically describing ChiefsPlanet and they've only been good for 3 years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.