Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

Just now, Sweats said:

Edmunds was out of position allllllllllll game long.......the dude looked lost out there today, not knowing his assignments........same story every week.

You know he led the team in tackles today right?

I'm not saying he is great or even that he had a good game, but some of this criticism is badly misplaced.

I don't think he's a good enough ballplayer to sink a bunch of cap space into, but that doesn't mean he's terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm not saying he is great or even that he had a good game, but some of this criticism is badly misplaced.

I don't think he's a good enough ballplayer to sink a bunch of cap space into, but that doesn't mean he's terrible.

A guy can lead the team in tackles and still look lost.

The next time Edmunds fills a run gap, it will be the first time this year.    

His instincts are non-existant.   And his refusal to play physical is embarassing for a LB.    He's a reach-around tackler who misses way too many tackles.    Poyer and Hyde cover up for him so many times it's not funny.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Edmunds was out of position allllllllllll game long.......the dude looked lost out there today, not knowing his assignments........same story every week.

He did look bad today. Noticed him multiple times just not making plays. He looked slower than normal. 

28 minutes ago, Simon said:

Unfortunately those two are directly tied together. 

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

A guy can be lost all season and still lead the league in tackles. Ask Preston Brown

Accumulating a bunch of tackles 5-10 yards downfield hardly justifies a 13M contract. Some people are just consciously choosing to ignore his flaws at the expense of the almighty scheme. I appreciate the loyalty of those Tremaine supporters and I agree with the 5th year option. I'm patiently waiting for him to play up to his draft slot but I don't ever see that happening. Nor will I be devastated if he moves on in a couple years. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I think we'reon the same page.... Edmunds and Milano have specific roles that some people seem to misunderstand. Like when Edmunds and Poyer clog their two gaps, so the runner is forced to Milano's side and he makes the tackle for loss. That's team defense, not just Milano playing out of his mind. That's 3 guys just doing their job.

This post is complete nonsense. There is no defense ever designed that your MLB is not set up to make plays. 

Edmunds is just bad. Edmunds doesn't clog anything. He is repeatedly in the wrong spot and he is blocked far downfield all game.  He made two plays all game and that was on a 3rd down catch over the middle that he had help making the play and a batted ball at the LOS.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This post is complete nonsense. There is no defense ever designed that your MLB is not set up to make plays. 

Edmunds is just bad. Edmunds doesn't clog anything. He is repeatedly in the wrong spot and he is blocked far downfield all game.  He made two plays all game and that was on a 3rd down catch over the middle that he had help making the play and a batted ball at the LOS.

troof

31 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Accumulating a bunch of tackles 5-10 yards downfield hardly justifies a 13M contract. Some people are just consciously choosing to ignore his flaws at the expense of the almighty scheme. I appreciate the loyalty of those Tremaine supporters and I agree with the 5th year option. I'm patiently waiting for him to play up to his draft slot but I don't ever see that happening. Nor will I be devastated if he moves on in a couple years. 

According to next Gen statistics

In 2019, is average tackle depth past the line of scrimmage on run plays was 1.9 yards and 2.6 yards in 2020 

Ahead of guys like Patrick Queen and roquan Smith

So while he definitely isn't making flash plays.. and he's out of position in zone sometimes.. he's been fairly consistent in the run game 

Not that It quantifies a 15 million contract

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

He did look bad today. Noticed him multiple times just not making plays. He looked slower than normal. 

I was putting a ceiling fan in my friends house today….I turn my head to look at the screen and there was Edmunds watching the RB run right on by him….reacts a second later and starts chasing him from behind. Doesn’t even throw an arm out there. Just frozen, watching dude run by. It’s like he looks at the runners feet and sees that he’s 1 inch past him, therefore isn’t responsible for the tackle. He’s always good for 3-4 plays that makes our entire room erupt in laughter. He’s so incredibly bad.

That’s Edmunds in a nutshell.

Edited by Governor

16 minutes ago, Governor said:

I was putting a ceiling fan in my friends house today….I turn my head to look at the screen and there was Edmunds watching the RB run right on by him….reacts a second later and starts chasing him from behind. Doesn’t even throw an arm out there. Just frozen, watching dude run by.

That’s Edmunds in a nutshell.

So you didn’t watch the game. 

dudes been a captain for 3 straight years. Y’all act like you know more than McBeane (literally the thread title). You’ve been scarred by BBFS. On good teams not every player shows up in the stat sheet. Are we still whipping on Star. He doesn’t fill the stat sheet but defense looks pretty good with him in there.  I have no clue what his valuation is but I expect he gets re-signed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Every fanbase needs a whipping boy. Edmunds is ours. Is he as bad as some people think? I don’t think so. But he’s certainly not elite. I’d hope he would get a lesser contract from the Bills than what Milano got 

Edited by VaMilBill
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

dudes been a captain for 3 straight years. Y’all act like you know more than McBeane (literally the thread title). You’ve been scarred by BBFS. On good teams not every player shows up in the stat sheet. Are we still whipping on Star. He doesn’t fill the stat sheet but defense looks pretty good with him in there.  I have no clue what his valuation is but I expect he gets re-signed. 

It’s like that show Quantum Leap. The guy ends his previous mission and travel through time and realizes he’s on a football field. I’ve never seen anything quite like it. Brain zaps from meds maybe? 

There’s times where he has no idea what’s going on.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Captain? Cmon man. That means nothing when you are letting guys score on 76 yard screen plays. 

I have no issue even now with the decision to pick up his option. It was the right move. 

I just don't think he is the long term answer at MLB. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.