Picking up Edmunds Option a Rare Beane Mistake

Billy Zabka

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Picking up the option makes a ton of sense if you DON'T think he's earned a huge long term contract.

It buys the Bills a couple years to draft a replacement for him. So if the right guys comes along they will snag him. Otherwise they can still wait until the following draft or even resign edmunds if the right person doesn’t come along. It’s gives them options

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Captain? Cmon man. That means nothing when you are letting guys score on 76 yard screen plays. 

I have no issue even now with the decision to pick up his option. It was the right move. 

I just don't think he is the long term answer at MLB. 

You think the score was on him?  He was playing TE deep again. He missed a tackle but so did many folks. 

also captain means a lot to McDermott. Again your BBFS is making you think of The drought years (like rex). It’s a pretty big deal for this crew. 

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

You think the score was on him?  He was playing TE deep again. He missed a tackle but so did many folks. 

also captain means a lot to McDermott. Again your BBFS is making you think of The drought years (like rex). It’s a pretty big deal for this crew. 

Honestly, of the guys on our defense who play most snaps, where would you rank Edmunds? Fifth maybe?

We just didn't draft him to be our fifth best defender. That's all.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

It buys the Bills a couple years to draft a replacement for him. So if the right guys comes along they will snag him. Otherwise they can still wait until the following draft or even resign edmunds if the right person doesn’t come along. It’s gives them options

Yes, hopefully he can put it together here before the end of next season. I’ve seen Steelers fans complain about similar things about his brother that Bills fans complain about Tremaine. All the athleticism and potential but just can’t seem to put it all together and don’t make a lot of splash plays. 

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Honestly, of the guys on our defense who play most snaps, where would you rank Edmunds? Fifth maybe?

We just didn't draft him to be our fifth best defender. That's all.

I really don’t have a good idea (see my comment about not knowing his valuation) since most of his best work happens downfield away from the broadcast view.  Certainly players and media thought he was more than 5th last year as he was one of two to make the pro bowl (not a perfect

measure of rank I know but says something). 

I do know he’s not the worst player on the field, like playing with 10, or a mistake to pick up his option.  I think we drafted him to be QB of the defense and get us in the right call. He seems to be doing that. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I don’t fault McD for taking that position and running an experiment to fill the holes in the scheme. In fact, I think the experiment itself yielded some positive results.

But it’s clear that Edmunds can’t be that guy. I expect them to draft his replacement with our late round first. There’s no doubt about that. I would also reduce his snap count as games get closer and more important.

• Vomit 1

Logic dictates that Edmunds is playing the way Frazier and McDermott want him to play. He's style/role hasn't changed much in for four seasons. Despite the constant fan meltdowns his coaches continue to praise him, teammates say he's their leader and he's been voted to the Pro Bowl the past two years. Maybe, just maybe, Edmunds is doing what he's supposed to do. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Governor said:

I don’t fault McD for taking that position and running an experiment to fill the holes in the scheme. In fact, I think the experiment itself yielded some positive results.

But it’s clear that Edmunds can’t be that guy. I expect them to draft his replacement with our late round first. There’s no doubt about that. I would also reduce his snap count as games get closer and more important.

Haha what. Why is it clear?  No doubt?  If I have no doubt its that beane will multiple ways to go in the draft so there will definitely be doubt about replacement (should’ve said UFA signing and draft pick). Who are you putting in for his reduced snaps. Klein?  🤮

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I really don’t have a good idea (see my comment about not knowing his valuation) since most of his best work happens downfield away from the broadcast view.  Certainly players and media thought he was more than 5th last year as he was one of two to make the pro bowl (not a perfect

measure of rank I know but says something). 

I do know he’s not the worst player on the field, like playing with 10, or a mistake to pick up his option.  I think we drafted him to be QB of the defense and get us in the right call. He seems to be doing that. 

Agree with the bolded.

I would say Milano is better than Edmunds. Hyde and Poyer too. Tre as well. Taron is pretty solid too.

I think Edmunds is closer to a TJ level player.  A good player, unique skill set.  Not a game breaker, not a guy OC's lose sleep over. Ultimately, when you take an ILB in the first round, you expect a guy closer to that than a solid football player.

Edmunds evokes strong opinions because his potential is off the charts and he hasn't hit it. He's the Andrew Wiggins of the Bills.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Im in the camp of Edmunds isn't very good.  He makes a play here and there but largely he is confused/lost/out of position/suckered and mostly as large as he is he plays small instead of physical.  No problem with them picking up the option.  I think that was the correct thing to do, but I think when that runs out they should have a replacement ready.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Logic dictates that Edmunds is playing the way Frazier and McDermott want him to play. He's style/role hasn't changed much in for four seasons. Despite the constant fan meltdowns his coaches continue to praise him, teammates say he's their leader and he's been voted to the Pro Bowl the past two years. Maybe, just maybe, Edmunds is doing what he's supposed to do. 

I feel like he’s also been very solid in pass coverage this year also.

We all want Takeo Spikes, but Edmunds still has boatloads of potential (He’s what, 23?) and wouldn’t last 48 hours on the open market. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Agree with the bolded.

I would say Milano is better than Edmunds. Hyde and Poyer too. Tre as well. Taron is pretty solid too.

I think Edmunds is closer to a TJ level player.  A good player, unique skill set.  Not a game breaker, not a guy OC's lose sleep over. Ultimately, when you take an ILB in the first round, you expect a guy closer to that than a solid football player.

Edmunds evokes strong opinions because his potential is off the charts and he hasn't hit it. He's the Andrew Wiggins of the Bills.

Can def respect a lot of this. I do think he’s more that just a solid football player. I think he’s been good but in a way that’s hard to see (setting defense, coverage down field). I would def agree there are things I would like to see more of too (like the Wiggins comparison). Appreciate your thoughts 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Haha what. Why is it clear?  No doubt?  If I have no doubt its that beane will multiple ways to go in the draft so there will definitely be doubt about replacement (should’ve said UFA signing and draft pick). Who are you putting in for his reduced snaps. Klein?  🤮

I don’t know what to do for this season. We just have to hope he doesn’t cost us games. You can’t let an experiment sink the entire team. McD/Frazier defenses have always been torched by TE’s and down the seam. I get it. I see the process.

Edmunds just can’t play football. We need to draft/sign another version of that player that can actually play and finish the experiment.

Edited by Governor
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Can def respect a lot of this. I do think he’s more that just a solid football player. I think he’s been good but in a way that’s hard to see (setting defense, coverage down field). I would def agree there are things I would like to see more of too (like the Wiggins comparison). Appreciate your thoughts 

Very good point, I the way the Defense is structured, he’s critical in whether or not they run efficiently.

He’s like the Alex Smith of LBs, drafted really high but (as of right now) is more of a field general and game manager of the defense. 

If he walks he’ll still play 10+ plus years in the league and have several elite seasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Governor said:

I don’t know what to do for this season. We just have to hope he doesn’t cost us games. You can’t let an experiment sink the entire team. McD/Frazier defenses have always been torched by TE’s and down the seam. I get it. I see the process.

Edmunds just can’t play football. We need to draft/sign another version of that player that can actually play and finish the experiment.

I feel like you don’t realize you’re saying that the mike on a top 5 defense is a liability to the point that he just can’t play football. God bless you but that’s a white hot take. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I feel like you don’t realize you’re saying that the mike on a top 5 defense is a liability to the point that he just can’t play football. God bless you but that’s a white hot take. 

I think we can get to next season with him, just at a reduced game-specific role.

I can picture what the coaches “want” Edmunds to be, but it just isn’t going to happen.

There also has to be a better replacement, otherwise we’ll just have to accept that teams will run and pass right at Edmunds down the stretch of each season. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.