Why is taunting a penalty?

Dan Darragh

18 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Guys like Barry Sanders and Larry Fitzgerald are good for the league. They made plenty of opponents look like fools and scored plenty of touchdowns, but were always professional.

You can hype up yourself and your team without unsportsmanlike conduct.

agreed. I don’t think taunting should be enforced like this, but it is what it is, take a step away from the guy and do your thing.

I also think jagoffs that start threads and end it with “discuss” and never return to their thread should be banned for a year. But hey? Who makes the rules anyway

I personally think taunting looks bad for the game, but there's a line.

Josh spiking the ball at the Chargers feet last year, although I loved it, penalty.

Levi Wallace giving a Rick Flair Wooooooo, and a flex is weak af penalty.

How about refs learn to call a Jerry Hughes holding, or to learn what the 🤬🤬🤬🤬 a catch is, before we move onto trivial things.

Football is a primal highly emotional game. Hockey allows fist fights, and the NFL is flagging things that belong in the game. Goodell has continually weakened my fav product ughhhhh 

1 hour ago, Azucho98 said:

To stop brawls like this....

Omg a brawl from 10 years before most players were even born!!! Long overdue 🙄🙄

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Guys like Barry Sanders and Larry Fitzgerald are good for the league. They made plenty of opponents look like fools and scored plenty of touchdowns, but were always professional.

You can hype up yourself and your team without unsportsmanlike conduct.

I prefer a nice mix of both types

8 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

You can look up the exact language of it but I’m sure you won’t considering what you post around here. 

You hurt my feelings!  

(But you enjoyed doing it, didn't you?)

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I also think jagoffs that start threads and end it with “discuss” and never return to their thread should be banned for a year. But hey? Who makes the rules anyway

You, too.  15 yard penalty for hurting my feelings.

Not sure if anyone has played sports growing up but when you’re playing a competitive game the juices are flowing. I can’t even imagine a high impact game like football and having to hold in your emotions. We don’t hear half the things these players say to each other before and during the game so when a big play gets made I’m all for letting it be known that you owned that player. It build momentum for yourself and your team. I think as long as you don’t physically touch the other player or waste a lot of time then let it go because these players have been held back so much on what they can do, it’s starting to change the game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Omg a brawl from 10 years before most players were even born!!! Long overdue 🙄🙄

What does the age of the video have to do with "why is taunting a penalty"?  Clearly the reason beyond your comprehension.

Edited by Azucho98

13 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

The “No Fun League” has eliminated any possibility of bad blood between teams, or true grudge matches. I miss the bad blood, loved when it was in the NBA too. Those Bulls/Pistons and Knicks/Heat matches used to be epic.

The issue is i see taunting every play, and it only gets called half the time.

There is no consistency to it at all.

Call it or don't.

59 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Im all for taunting penalties. I thought Levi’s yesterday was borderline. Id be interested to know what he said as he flexed and looked down at him. That may have influenced the outcome. 

Good point.  The visuals may or may not look bad but the audio may be what cross the line.  Although Josh's stare down and ball spin vs. the Chargers needed no verbal communication.  

12 hours ago, djp14150 said:

You can make a play and celebrate. You can’t do it in an opponents face.  Especially if you are standing over them.

Or as in Wallace case, still lying on top of them jawing

18 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The issue is i see taunting every play, and it only gets called half the time.

There is no consistency to it at all.

Call it or don't.

This is the real issue - consistency, at least within the game

12 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

... but after a turnover, having the whole defense running the entire length of the field, sliding in the endzone, and doing a choreographed routine is not?

Correct, it is not, such a celebration as you described is not done in the face of an opponent, it is done for the TV camera 🎥 with the league’s okay 👍 , would have thought that was pretty obvious. 

Celebrating is different than Taunting. 

25 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

A casual glance at this thread would indicate that Matt hasn't interviewed everybody.

For Matt, words, definitions, and rules are hard…,

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or as in Wallace case, still lying on top of them jawing

This is the real issue - consistency, at least within the game

Consistency has always been a problem with the refs regardless of what’s being called, always has been, always will be, frustrating as hell sometimes.