Changing up how I watch the Bills game

2 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I'm not superstitious, but I do get too anxious about the games and have watched alone many times as sad as that may be. 

Getting past that playoff win (colts game) was huge for me. All that's left is to win the whole damn thing, and for whatever reason that's been super liberating and im enjoying fandom more appropriately.

It's kermitish to me, but I don't hear the gravel lol.

I always thought he sounds like Zed from Police Academy 

46 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Both. Absolutely. Think of a mystical force with a roulette wheel of doom. He is both punishing for all fan related behavior and randomly spinning the wheel of doom. The ONLY way to stave off the wheel aping are with carefully crafted rituals and proper jersey rotation.

Such a sadistic religion.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NickelCity said:

I'm not superstitious, but I do get too anxious about the games and have watched alone many times as sad as that may be. 

I'm not superstiitious. But I am a little stitious.

• Haha (+1) 2

I thought this thread was going to be about watching all the special teams plays in super slow motion frame by frame to analyze the gunner performances.  That's how I was thinking of changing how I watch this year (well, maybe not frame by frame, but definitely pay more attention).

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I have to change up the way I watch the Bills game too.  My 3 year old 65" $1500 Samsung took a crap.  My 10 year old 55" $400 Vizio is still trucking along.  Picture was not as good as the Samsung though =(

You can get 65 inch+ tvs for 4-500 nowadays. I got my 80 inch for 800ish

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You can get 65 inch+ tvs for 4-500 nowadays. I got my 80 inch for 800ish

Yeah I know but unfortunately I had 2 serious neck surgeries in March from a work injury and I am disabled right now losing about a grand a month in pay so can't afford it.  Someday.  At least I will still be able to watch.

You know that nothing you do will have any effect on the outcome of the game right? It doesn’t matter what you do or who you watch with. The Bills will either win or lose regardless.

I am not superstitious but I am definitely a nervous wreck during games and it’s actually gotten worse the better the Bills have got (since the outcome of the games matters more). I used to never really get nervous during games because I knew the Bills weren’t super bowl contenders or anything.

But last season It’s was getting to the point where I couldn’t even enjoy the game. There were a few times last season where I actually had to change the channel then watch the game on replay. It was getting totally ridiculous. I’d have a nervous stomach ache and everything.

I’m really going to work on that this season. One thing I started doing that helps a little is listening to the game on the radio and muting the TV, but this probably only works if you’re in the local market. The radio was just slightly ahead of the TV so I knew the outcome of the play before it happened. It helped me not be so damn nervous for every play.

This year I am determined to just enjoy watching the games, or so I keep telling myself... 🤣

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I have to change up the way I watch the Bills game too.  My 3 year old 65" $1500 Samsung took a crap.  My 10 year old 55" $400 Vizio is still trucking along.  Picture was not as good as the Samsung though =(

Damn, that sucks.

My top of the line Sony just took a crap on me back at the end of June. It was only 13 months old too. 1 month out of warranty.

Funny enough, my old Sony from 2007 is still working like a champ. I never had issues with any Sony tv before. I was really shocked.

Thankfully, after about a dozen different calls to Sony, a bunch of emails and social media posts I finally got them to replace the TV and I actually ended up with a better TV than I had. So I’m very grateful.

I saw your post below about being on disability. Sucks, man. Hope you get well soon!

If/when you’re in the market for a new TV, shoot me a message if you want to and I can help you narrow down your choices for a new one. I am really big on home theater & electronics and stay up to date on all the current TVs and audio/video gear. I’m the friend everyone calls when they’re shopping for speakers or TVs (etc) or trying to set up home theater equipment 🤣

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Damn, that sucks.

My top of the line Sony just took a crap on me back at the end of June. It was only 13 months old too. 1 month out of warranty.

Funny enough, my old Sony from 2007 is still working like a champ. I never had issues with any Sony tv before. I was really shocked.

Thankfully, after about a dozen different calls to Sony, a bunch of emails and social media posts I finally got them to replace the TV and I actually ended up with a better TV than I had. So I’m very grateful.

I saw your post below about being on disability. Sucks, man. Hope you get well soon!

If/when you’re in the market for a new TV, shoot me a message if you want to and I can help you narrow down your choices for a new one. I am really big on home theater & electronics and stay up to date on all the current TVs and audio/video gear. I’m the friend everyone calls when they’re shopping for speakers or TVs (etc) or trying to set up home theater equipment 🤣

Appreciate that.  Im glad you got yours replaced.  I thought buying a better model would be better built but I guess not.  I am pretty into electronics too.  Money isn't a problem once I get back to work if ever... but I just want to have something that both looks good and lasts.  If I would have gotten 5 years out of it I probably would have been ok with that but 3 years seems too soon.

My current theory is they purposely build stuff to fail so people have to keep buying.  There are only so many screen upgrades they can do so often that it becomes pointless to upgrade.

Edited by Scott7975

As a kid I used to watch (or listen to) Bills games with my brothers, but since I left Buffalo 35+ years ago, I generally watch alone. I'm just an insufferable a-hole during the game -- scaring my poor kids when they were little, etc. One exception was Super Bowl XXV in 1990, when I stupidly decided to host a Super Bowl party in my crappy apartment in Boston. After wide-right, everyone kept talking and laughing at commercials and sh**, so I basically threw them all out (including this girl I was dating at the time; maybe not the smartest move). Now I will only watch games with fellow WNYers, catching a few games a year at the Bills fan club at The Harp in Boston, and years ago every Sunday at Sam Sansone's Bills Backers bar when I lived in Houston. You just have to be with your own species on game day ... 

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Appreciate that.  Im glad you got yours replaced.  I thought buying a better model would be better built but I guess not.  I am pretty into electronics too.  Money isn't a problem once I get back to work if ever... but I just want to have something that both looks good and lasts.  If I would have gotten 5 years out of it I probably would have been ok with that but 3 years seems too soon.

My current theory is they purposely build stuff to fail so people have to keep buying.  There are only so many screen upgrades they can do so often that it becomes pointless to upgrade.

They definitely don’t build electronics like they used to. Well, some stuff they do if you’re willing to pay like 4x as much.

Id still expect a Samsung or Sony tv (or LG OLED) to last more than 3 years though. That definitely seems like a premature failure. What happened? Did the screen fail?

Did you try all the different troubleshooting steps (like a forced factory reset)?

If the screen still works it may be fixable if you’re willing to open the back of the TV. A lot of times what fails are the motherboards and you can usually find them pretty cheap online. Or the ribbon cables that connect the screen can come detached. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

You know that nothing you do will have any effect on the outcome of the game right? It doesn’t matter what you do or who you watch with. The Bills will either win or lose regardless.

I am not superstitious but I am definitely a nervous wreck during games and it’s actually gotten worse the better the Bills have got (since the outcome of the games matters more). I used to never really get nervous during games because I knew the Bills weren’t super bowl contenders or anything.

But last season It’s was getting to the point where I couldn’t even enjoy the game. There were a few times last season where I actually had to change the channel then watch the game on replay. It was getting totally ridiculous. I’d have a nervous stomach ache and everything.

I’m really going to work on that this season. One thing I started doing that helps a little is listening to the game on the radio and muting the TV, but this probably only works if you’re in the local market. The radio was just slightly ahead of the TV so I knew the outcome of the play before it happened. It helped me not be so damn nervous for every play.

This year I am determined to just enjoy watching the games, or so I keep telling myself... 🤣

I was basically sick to my stomach watching the playoff games. I had to actually consciously try to relax because my heart rate (normal resting of 50) would be at like 100+ during those playoff games. Just pure misery. 

• Like (+1) 1

Miyagi-San, absolutely nothing you wear or do will change the outcome so as long as you’re friends or family don’t care watching you throw pretzel at the tv for a bad ref call, or doing what my dad does (he’s a seniors senior- he was in Korea of that helps) where he want to yell fining every player for not having a perfect tackle for a loss, I think you’re safe brother.

have fun, get some wings and zza. And when it gets hairy, have an escape plan back to you’re room when we’re down by 10 and tell honey please entertain our guests.  Then when Josh does what he does you run out in whatever and start screaming.

I gave up on superstitions after I stopped competing in stuff.  I just won’t go to a SB party as 80% of the party want to socialize and I want to hear the announcers.  I did it when I was young but not anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not sure if you were serious, but nothing you or any of us do has any impact upon a football game. If you want to isolate yourself because of your own peculiarities be my guest, but don’t for one second think it affects the outcome of the game. 

They definitely don’t build electronics like they used to. Well, some stuff they do if you’re willing to pay like 4x as much.

Id still expect a Samsung or Sony tv (or LG OLED) to last more than 3 years though. That definitely seems like a premature failure. What happened? Did the screen fail?

Did you try all the different troubleshooting steps (like a forced factory reset)?

If the screen still works it may be fixable if you’re willing to open the back of the TV. A lot of times what fails are the motherboards and you can usually find them pretty cheap online. Or the ribbon cables that connect the screen can come detached. 

Yeah I did all that stuff.  Even took it apart with a friend because my arms don't work so well.  Essentially I was getting lines on the screen.  Sometimes purple. sometimes clear.  Sometimes vertical. Sometimes horizontal.  If it was dark then I would get purple blotches.  I think it was the ribbons or the motherboard like you said because I played with the ribbons and the lines changed to worse.  Because I have a hard time with stuff I just told my friend to take it to the curb and I figure I will buy a new one after I save some.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah I know but unfortunately I had 2 serious neck surgeries in March from a work injury and I am disabled right now losing about a grand a month in pay so can't afford it.  Someday.  At least I will still be able to watch.

Dam, sorry to hear that bro.  I wish you the quickest of recoveries.  At least you’ll have 17 to keep you busy.  Lots of videos on YouTube! 😄

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Dam, sorry to hear that bro.  I wish you the quickest of recoveries.  At least you’ll have 17 to keep you busy.  Lots of videos on YouTube! 😄

I been watching the hell out of YouTube since I've gotten home from the hospital lol.

• Like (+1) 1

I find many/most electronic products today are FAR better in many ways, and far less expensive than they used to be. The drawback?  They are mostly disposable and not built to last. So they have to be replaced on a regular basis.

I think it might be explained away by saying: Technology change so fast, a 4 year old product is obsolete. Of course, we know better.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Try reading the game day threads if you’re looking for a good time.

A bipolar trip through a Bills fan game experience, always awesome to see the melt down on the first play that doesn’t work the way it was supposed to…, 

followed by the exuberant joy when we score a touchdown on the next play…, 

rinse and repeat all game long…, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I was able to let go of many of my superstitions last year, because I finally realized that this team was good enough to win in spite of me sitting on the wrong spot or wearing the wrong color underwear.  

Are the red or the blue underwear the lucky ones? Asking for a friend.

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was basically sick to my stomach watching the playoff games. I had to actually consciously try to relax because my heart rate (normal resting of 50) would be at like 100+ during those playoff games. Just pure misery. 

I can remember you saying this at the time now because I think I said I was the same. I was really nervous before one of them, think it was the Colts game for some reason. Just couldn't relax all day

8 hours ago, The Dean said:

I find many/most electronic products today are FAR better in many ways, and far less expensive than they used to be. The drawback?  They are mostly disposable and not built to last. So they have to be replaced on a regular basis.

I think it might be explained away by saying: Technology change so fast, a 4 year old product is obsolete. Of course, we know better.

Yeah some of the electronics today are definitely far better.

I was mainly talking about home amplifiers/receivers and TVs. 

Like Sony, their top tier flat screen TVs used to be built extremely well. My top of the line Sony from 2007 honestly still looks better than a lot of new TVs, and it has 1000’s and 1000’s of hours in it.

The last really exceptional TV that Sony built was the Sony Z9D master series TV from 2016. But you also paid through the nose for it. $6000 for a 65” TV when it came out! But it might be one of the best TVs ever made. Their new master series TVs aren’t even comparable. But they’re also about 1/2 the price.

That seems to be the direction all these Tv manufacturers are moving in.

Samsung, for ex, keeps stripping features away from their TVs. Like their top of the line 9 series from last year is more comparable to their 8 series from the year before. Their 8 series was the 7 series a couple years ago, etc etc. You have to buy a Tv 1 tier higher just to get the same features last year’s had, and that’s been a consistent theme for a few years now.

and most home theater/stereo amplifiers just aren’t built the same either (unless you want to pay through the nose). I have amps from the 70’s and 80’s that will just absolutely destroy the new amps in sound quality and power delivery. Like for example, I have an old 50 watt per channel Denon that will blow the doors off my new 150 watt per channel denon. 

So many of the components are cheaply produced, and you can’t really repair individual components like you used to be able to.

As you said, stuff is made to be thrown away now.

39 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I can remember you saying this at the time now because I think I said I was the same. I was really nervous before one of them, think it was the Colts game for some reason. Just couldn't relax all day

I remember you mentioning it. I mean, this is supposed to be enjoyable, isn’t it?! 😁

If I had to guess, the stress of it has been caused by like 20+ years of back-breaking bad football and bad luck. Now, we are on the precipice, and so the stakes feel so enormous. I think if your team consistently is in the hunt/contender, then it probably doesn’t feel like this. They lose and it’s like, “Oh, well— we will get them next year.” I had that feeling in the early 90’s.