Who is our returner?

Virgil

On 9/2/2021 at 11:41 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

There just are very few kick returns period. That’s what I mean. Just a ton of touchbacks

Again...the average touchback % in the league last year was 61.2%

That means 38.8% of kickoffs were returned last season

So between 1 in 2 and 1 in 3 kickoffs were returned

I don't know what "very few" is to me, but something that happens even 1 out of 3 times isn't "very rare" to me.

It also varied quite a bit by team, so both the quality of the kicker and the quality of the coverage must have something to do with it - Tampa Bay had 88% touchbacks on their kickoffs, the Bills were pretty good with 70%.

The Steelers had almost half their kickoffs returned last year.

On 9/1/2021 at 9:34 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

Didn’t he return kicks in Houston?

No but he did in Oakland earlier in his career, and also during his first stint with the Bills

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/2/2021 at 8:47 PM, frostbitmic said:

No, his last kick returns were with us in 2018 where he had 5 for 89 yards. He does have 82 kick returns in his career though, averaging 23.1 yds.

I don't get the he made it because of his Special Teams prowess argument though. Last year he had all of 4 tackles.

He had 6 actually. And he forced fair catches on top of that. When the coaches keep telling you someone is really good at something and people who have watched the tape say "yea he is really good at it" and the GM says he is "elite" at it then maybe just take it on trust that he is really darn good. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If he can keep holding onto the ball, McKenzie is an excellent return man. And he actually brings something to the offense. No brainer to keep him and use him there. Roberts wasn’t versatile enough. McKenzie Is a 4 down player. Just have to keep it up with the ball security.

there was something about that Miami game that felt like a turning point to me. McKenzie looked so confident back there on judging the ball, making fair catch Versus return decisions, being sure handed, etc— plus it Was all in bad weather conditions. It just felt like he took a major step forward.