Bills trading Daryll Johnson to the Panthers for 6th rd pick

Process

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the Bills are determined to upgrade their pass rush without sacrificing too much in the run game, and Johnson sat on the bench against the Ravens.  The price of that decision is keeping an overpriced, underperforming vet around for a year 🤷‍♂️

Bam's struggles against the run are an underrated part of it, agreed. I actually think in limited snaps he did flash as a rusher. He struggled with lane discipline in the run game and with Obada struggling in the same facet I can see the argument that one had to go. It is almost like we traded Johnson for Obada and a 6th. 

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

Folks - get the "They are not going to cut Addison" through your heads.  Not.  Gonna.  Happen.

Deal with it.....

Go BILLS!

Oh I know they are not. Doesn't mean I don't believe that they should :D

Then again I didn't believe they should have signed a clearly declining player in the first place.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

Glad they got something for one of the DEs. I’m not happy about Johnson being traded but I’d rather Johnson than Obada.  I wish it was addison but I had always thought that Beane had a talk with addison, when he took his slight pay cut, and told him he’d have a spot on the team.  If he took the pay cut.  I believe the same to be true for Vernon butler.  Beanes word is bond.  

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Bam's struggles against the run are an underrated part of it, agreed. I actually think in limited snaps he did flash as a rusher. He struggled with lane discipline in the run game and with Obada struggling in the same facet I can see the argument that one had to go. It is almost like we traded Johnson for Obada and a 6th.

I had that thought

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Shaq is the opposite of a glue-guy...........Dolphins and Texans figured that out.

Not easily motivated......not dedicated to his craft........he upped his effort for his contract run in 2019..........the Bills were wise not to re-invest in him.........he has otherwise been pretty much the same JAG in every other season of his career.    He doesn't play teams either and really doesn't have much athletic upside left.

Johnson was much cheaper and has a year of that cheap team control left (well, technically Shaq does too if you want to pay that guy $9M in 2022).........he was definitely worth getting back the 5th rounder they used to get him at least.  

Yes, but Shaq will play 40% of your defensive snaps at a premium position.  He is overpaid compared to the contract, but he earned that contract by at least putting up 1 good year.  

Johnson as a late 7th round pick has nearly given nothing on the defensive side, but did some nice things on special teams.  I image he will get more playing time in Carolina, but currently he has 2 sacks in 450 career defensive snaps - so nothing that jumps out.  The fact that you can flip that for a round earlier pick is not bad.

My guess is Johnson was not the guy Beane necessarily wanted to move (much like Teller), but he was the guy with the most potential to move.  Addison was going to be tough to move and Obada was an option, but Carolina was not making that deal - so my guess is he got value and took it.

An example of a special teams mainstay getting sent off, I mentioned this could happen in some other thread a few days back, got a little pushback on that thought, maybe we are to a point where we don’t keep fringe guys on the roster just for STs abilities, shows the growth of the overall team in a positive way.

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

An example of a special teams mainstay getting sent off, I mentioned this could happen in some other thread a few days back, got a little pushback on that thought, maybe we are to a point where we don’t keep fringe guys on the roster just for STs abilities, shows the growth of the overall team in a positive way.

Go Bills!!!

I agree wholeheartedly!  I’d rather then take young STers that might be or develop into contributors in the other two phases.

Even long snapper seems like a bit of a wasted spot. 

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Glad they got something for one of the DEs. I’m not happy about Johnson being traded but I’d rather Johnson than Obada.  I wish it was addison but I had always thought that Beane had a talk with addison, when he took his slight pay cut, and told him he’d have a spot on the team.  If he took the pay cut.  I believe the same to be true for Vernon butler.  Beanes word is bond.  

Keeping Butler would be a mistake imo.

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I agree wholeheartedly!  I’d rather then take young STers that might be or develop into contributors in the other two phases.

Even long snapper seems like a bit of a wasted spot. 

Well, yes, that would be good,  but Epenesa needs some work at long snapper, 😁👍

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Johnson as a late 7th round pick has nearly given nothing on the defensive side, but did some nice things on special teams.  I image he will get more playing time in Carolina, but currently he has 2 sacks in 450 career defensive snaps - so nothing that jumps out.  The fact that you can flip that for a round earlier pick is not bad.

My guess is Johnson was not the guy Beane necessarily wanted to move (much like Teller), but he was the guy with the most potential to move.  Addison was going to be tough to move and Obada was an option, but Carolina was not making that deal - so my guess is he got value and took it.

I disagree that he wasn't the guy they wanted to move. If they were getting maybe a 3rd or a 4th or something, then yeah, make the trade even if it makes your lineup a bit weaker. For a 6th, though? I don't think so. It's not a big enough return to get you to get rid of a guy you'd like to keep, IMO.

3 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Keeping Butler would be a mistake imo.

I was hoping that we would’ve cut him instead of having him take a pay cut after last season.  Once he took a pay cut, I’m assuming he’s safe.  

His play was better at the end of last season.  I feel his value is that he is versatile enough to play the 1 and 3.  I wouldn’t be upset either way, cut him or keep him, I just think that he’s safe and Beane will stick to his word

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

This front office and coaching staff obviously values Addison more than the fans, or they are too stubborn to admit it was a mistake to sign him, restructure, etc.

Either way there's not many teams out there that would give up even a 7th round pick for 34 old declining player with his type of salary which is why I hoped at the very least we could have swapped him for a DB or OL veteran at a similar age/price.

Regarding Johnson, yes it would have been great to keep him but aside from ST how many snaps was he going to see on this team at DE this year? So getting a 6th rounder (which could be closer to a 5th rounder in reality depending on where the Panthers finish) is not a bad deal vs cutting him outright for nothing.

Again, keep Johnson and don't hand Taiwan Jones a roster spot. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.