Bills trading Daryll Johnson to the Panthers for 6th rd pick

Process

22 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Do we get to criticize Beane for giving Addison that horrible contract? He’s given out some terrible contracts to former Panthers.

Yes plenty are. As good as Beane has been rebuilding this offense he's been terrible on defense for the most part with FA's and draft picks, which is also why I'm still tempering my expectations with Epineza and Rousseau despite their strong camp/preseason showings.

But getting back to Addison (and Butler), it was one thing to restructure their deals but they should have been done so to cut/trade them without the cap hits associated with them.

If Obada ends up being semi decent and at worse getting the 5 sacks he did in Carolina it somewhat offsets the Addison deal though.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

I feel like I just was kicked in the nutz :(

Teller was a better prospect........some considered him as a guy who should have gone in the early rounds of the draft.........but it appears that they traded the young, high ceiling player to retain a vet who is on his last legs.........which is what Spencer Long was as well when they dealt Teller.

I will be surprised if not cutting bait on Addison last winter ends up looking like a good move in the long run.

Maybe he bounces back this year though.   I liked the signing initially because he was a consistent producer and the contract was easy to get out of.   @GunnerBill did not like the signing and he looked correct on that one last season.  

One of the few, lasting bad memories of last season was watching old Mario flail around chasing Kyler Murray allowing him to get off the Hail Murray throw.

They got smaller and less athletic at the position today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The one Achilles heal with this front office group… they’ve completely overvalued their ex Panthers.

Mostly true but not all Ex panthers have been duds.  

Kelvin Benjamin was the biggest dud of them all but Addison and Butler aren’t far behind.  Star and AN are serviceable but over compensated in my opinion.  Daryl Williams was a complete steal.  He’s arguably our best OL.  

Edited by Weatherman

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Teller was a better prospect........some considered him as a guy who should have gone in the early rounds of the draft.........but it appears that they traded the young, high ceiling player to retain a vet who is on his last legs.........which is what Spencer Long was as well when they dealt Teller.

I will be surprised if not cutting bait on Addison last winter ends up looking like a good move in the long run.

Maybe he bounces back this year though.   I liked the signing initially because he was a consistent producer and the contract was easy to get out of.   @GunnerBill did not like the signing and he looked correct on that one last season.  

One of the few, lasting bad memories of last season was watching old Mario flail around chasing Kyler Murray allowing him to get off the Hail Murray throw.

They got smaller and less athletic at the position today.

Yep. The Addison tape in Carolina in 2019 looked a lot less impressive than the numbers. I think even last season in Buffalo 5 sacks was a high number compared to actual number of pass rush reps he won on. He is a good convertor of pressure to sacks I will give him that. He just isn't great any more at generating pressure.

• Like (+1) 3

I don’t understand the dead money argument when it comes to Addison. So what? The Bills are going to be spending X amount of dollars (basically) with or without him. Sure, in theory you don’t want to pay a guy not to be here. But in the real world if your championship caliber team is better in the short or long term keeping Bam and cutting Addison there is no question what to do. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

While some may lament over Johnson being traded, reality is that Rousseau, Epenesa and Basham are all young and better than him. That's 3 of the 4 in a DE rotation that is active on game day. They may have 5 on the active 48 which means with Hughes definitely playing either Addison or Obada do not dress for games if all are healthy. 

Will Addison be this year's Trent Murphy?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am going to say it.... I don't love it. I'd rather Addison or Obada go if they don't want to keep 7 ends but hey ho. 

I would have rather seen Addison as well.  I'm guessing they think Addison is still a better pass rusher than Daryl and that they can more easily replace his ST efforts with maybe Taiwan or Krumerow. 

Obada, I like that guy.   I'm on the Obada train as I think they will be able to use his versatility as part of the pressure packages they will be employing this year.

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Sounds about right to me.  

Shaq an actual DE that plays regularly was a 6th.

Bam - a more ST focus that can maybe play in the regular defense also for a 6th. 

I have no issue with it.

Shaq is the opposite of a glue-guy...........Dolphins and Texans figured that out.

Not easily motivated......not dedicated to his craft........he upped his effort for his contract run in 2019..........the Bills were wise not to re-invest in him.........he has otherwise been pretty much the same JAG in every other season of his career.    He doesn't play teams either and really doesn't have much athletic upside left.

Johnson was much cheaper and has a year of that cheap team control left (well, technically Shaq does too if you want to pay that guy $9M in 2022).........he was definitely worth getting back the 5th rounder they used to get him at least.  

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Johnson was much cheaper and has a year of that cheap team control left (well, technically Shaq does too if you want to pay that guy $9M in 2022).........he was definitely worth getting back the 5th rounder they used to get him at least.  

They drafted Johnson in the 7th in 2019, not the 5th.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Shaq is the opposite of a glue-guy...........Dolphins and Texans figured that out.

Not easily motivated......not dedicated to his craft........he upped his effort for his contract run in 2019..........the Bills were wise not to re-invest in him.........he has otherwise been pretty much the same JAG in every other season of his career.    He doesn't play teams either and really doesn't have much athletic upside left.

Wasn't he a 7th?

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Reader said:

Probably because many here don't like Addison and wish that it was him who was traded...whether or not that was realistic.

Well Addison and Johnson have different roles on the team. The question was always around Addison vs. Obada if anything.

Carloina's 6th is probably the 186th player taken.  They might be picking  #10.  So using ( http://www.tankathon.com/nfl/full_draft   ) if the Bills are drafting @ #30. then that pick would enable them to move up the following ways in the draft.

round 1    move player 30 to player 29          +1 spot

round 2  move up playre 62 to player 59      +3 spots

round 3  move up 94   to 88                          +6 spots

round 4 move up 126 to 110                            +16 spots

round 5  move up 158 to 121                           +37 spots

round 6  move up 190 to 100                         +90 spots

IF there is  a guy we really want who is out of the top 100 spots,  this pick will make it quite easy to get him.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.