8/28/21 Post Game Thread Bills vs Packers Preseason finale

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I'm so confident in this offense that I'm not sure that even matters.

Shade it different and they just score on you with a sluggo or a post/corner instead.

That's not even taking the running game which looks like it will be better and be the 'opportune' changeup they said they wanted where it's effective when they use it. 

12 hours ago, CSBill said:

I sure wish they would move him to the outside in a three LB formation. He has speed and length, but he lacks the strength and power needed to be a middle of the field run-stopper. 

Here’s the thing, they don’t want him him to be a middle of the field run stopper. McBean loves him for his length and disruption of the passing lanes. If this guy would just catch the 2-4 balls that hit him in the chest every year we wouldn’t been be even having a discussion about him. I agree he needs to take step forward this year and be more of an impact linebacker but I have no doubt they are picking up his 5th year or signing him to an extension. McBean loves them some Edmunds no matter what we think.

Edited by RunTheBall
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

I predict Klein plays a helluva lot more than last year.....

I think almost everyone is going to try to play keep-away from Josh. 

Maybe we'll even see that 5-2 we seldom show? I like it!

Someone said to calm down that we play bend but not break and that person was right.

We are going to have to ready to know it's OK for teams to move the ball between the twenties against us.

The other team gets paid too.

Go Bills!

Palms quarters is all about getting 3rd down stops. U won't stop them every time, but if u can stop them short of the sticks most teams punt and kick a lot.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Here’s the thing, they don’t want him him to be a middle of the field run stopper. McBean loves him for his length and disruption of the passing lanes. If this guy would just catch the 2-4 balls that hit him in the chest every year we wouldn’t been behind having a discussion about him. I agree he needs to take step forward this year and be more of an impact linebacker but I have no doubt they are picking up his 5th year or signing him to an extension. McBean loves them some Edmunds no matter what we think.

Exactly!  People often think "grass is greener", if we'd get a new Mike linebacker, but truth is Edmunds is young/talented, and someone the staff has faith in.  He reminds me of a Ryan Shazier type, and think we will see more aggression from him this season. His injury last yr was extremely limiting and he was the team player who fought through it, not his best season but better than alternatives on the team.

His contract extension is another topic and the team gave themselves extra time to evaluate that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I get what you’re saying, but god do I get this response. This is an internet message board, where average Joe’s voice their opinion on football. 

You could use this response on literally every post and comment on this board. 

Fair enough, but the way conversations advance is by one person saying something, someone responding to clarify, limit, or argue with the first, etc.   You'll notice that someone responded to my post that you quoted by saying that there've been no reports out of camp that suggest that Sanders has looked slow.   If no one responds to statements like "he's getting old and lost a step," when the only basis for the statement is that maybe this is the year that Sanders has gotten slower, then people may start accepting that as true.  

Shady supposedly lost a step two or three seasons before he actually did.   For the past eight years, Brady's next season was going to be the season he'd lost it.   Larry Fitzgerald was done five years ago.   

Players don't begin to lose it until they actually do begin to lose it.   People are free to be of the opinion that Sanders has lost a step, but the fact that he didn't go deep in one half of one preseason game isn't evidence.  

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Here’s the thing, they don’t want him him to be a middle of the field run stopper. McBean loves him for his length and disruption of the passing lanes. If this guy would just catch the 2-4 balls that hit him in the chest every year we wouldn’t been behind having a discussion about him. I agree he needs to take step forward this year and be more of an impact linebacker but I have no doubt they are picking up his 5th year or signing him to an extension. McBean loves them some Edmunds no matter what we think.

I agree with this.   It goes along with what others said earlier about this being a bend-don't break defense.   I think Edmunds' job, his assignment on most plays, is not a traditional middle line backer assignment.   He's more like an extra safety playing in the box.  His job is to occupy space in the defensive backfield (and catch the balls that hit him in the chest), and not get beat on runs.  So, for example, tackles for loss is not an important statistic for this McDermott middle linebacker.    Outside the red zone, Edmunds' responsibilities are primarily lateral and behind him.   It's only inside the Bills' 10-yard line that his responsibilities are primarily in front of him.   

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

I see the same strategy from Bills opponents that pound the ball for 1st downs.  We don't have a MLB that can stand in the middle and hit people.  If that's the scheme the Bills choose then we'll have to get used to some uncomfortably close games.

You’re making the assumption that opponents can stop the Bills offense. I bet they cannot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Palms quarters is all about getting 3rd down stops. U won't stop them every time, but if u can stop them short of the sticks most teams punt and kick a lot.

Thanks for this. If you have a sec, can you expand on this? Interested in this specific observation... "palms" quarters.

2 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Thanks for this. If you have a sec, can you expand on this? Interested in this specific observation... "palms" quarters.

A pattern-match variation on cover-4.

https://www.xsosfootball.com/quarters-coverage-part-1-the-basics/

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/7/1/18772914/summer-of-spags-2-read-coverage-rules-and-permutations

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, wjag said:

Listening to Beane, it sure sounded like Phillips and Zimmer made the team.  Threw in props for Johnson too.   If I'm Butler/Addison, I'm concerned I will be on a new team in a few days.

There is still a lot of unsigned talent out there. I doubt Addison would jump to the front of anybody's line if he was released. I think cut for him would mean retirement. 

1 minute ago, Dukestreetking said:

Me too.  I've never understood what palms quarters is, other than some kind of four-deep zone system.   Since the Bills like playing, they don't blitz much, and that's why getting better pass rush out of the dline is so critical. 

And to RunJosh, yes, it does mean the Bills will have some uncomfortably close games.   I mentioned Super Bowl XXV.   Belichick figured out how to slow down the K-gun, and Parcells put together a ball possession offense.   In a game like that the number of possessions you get goes down, and that makes the game closer.  

It also was Dick Jauron's philosophy in Buffalo.   Play bend-don't-break defense to force the opponent to eat a lot of clock.   It was a way to keep the score low, which was important because the Bills weren't going to score enough to win shootouts.  If the score is low, it's possible to steal wins at the end of the game.  

I think playing bend-don't-break when you have an explosive offense just offers the opponent an opportunity to stay in the game.  A team like Tennessee looks at the Bills and says, "great, keep bending.  We'll go on 8-minute drives and score on every one.   Then all we have do is stop your passing attack on a few possessions, and we win."   Bills-Ravens was that kind of game.   If Taron doesn't take it to the house, Bills likely were in trouble. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

OK so here's a comment from McD in the BN (I guess I also missed the play)

Mitchell Trubisky came in for one play and he handed it off to Kerrith Whyte, which McDermott said was by design in case a similar situation came up in the regular season.

So what exact situation were they working on??  I don't get it??  What did this accomplish??  Does this guarantee Super Bowl??

• Eyeroll 4
  • Dislike 1

55 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

You’re making the assumption that opponents can stop the Bills offense. I bet they cannot.

I would not before last year we had some pretty good defenses. Unless folks think that was all Shaq and Jordan Phillips then maybe we can be ok with our defense. At the end of the year we were playing as a top 10 defense

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK so here's a comment from McD in the BN (I guess I also missed the play)

Mitchell Trubisky came in for one play and he handed it off to Kerrith Whyte, which McDermott said was by design in case a similar situation came up in the regular season.

So what exact situation were they working on??  I don't get it??  What did this accomplish??  Does this guarantee Super Bowl??

Design is that he had no prep so he wanted to see a rep like that. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YattaOkasan said:

I would not before last year we had some pretty good defenses. Unless folks think that was all Shaq and Jordan Phillips then maybe we can be ok with our defense. At the end of the year we were playing as a top 10 defense

Design is that he had no prep so he wanted to see a rep like that. 

Like handing off??