8/28/21 Post Game Thread Bills vs Packers Preseason finale

The afterglow

1.) Buffalo doesn't even pretend like they need to run.  

2.) JA17 running to his left and throwing back across his body to the middle of the field was the second jaw dropping play he made today.  We all know what was 1st.

3.) Not sure what to make of our #1 Defense going against their 2nd string offense.  GB made a lot of plays.  They are definitely deep and talented.

4.) Too many presnap penalties.

5.) Neal was the most noticeable player on defense today.

6.) Love TW27 saying he wanted to talk about his QB when interviewed.

7.) Bates, Stevenson and Brant seem like the only new M*A*S*H entries today.

8.) Think we saw how they plan to throw to "E" today. Quick hitters.

9.) No Singletary was interesting. (edit: caught two passes and no rushing attempts)

10.) Thought they might throw more to Hollister today.  Didn't happen.

11.) I would have liked to see Aaron Rodgers and Davante Adams go after our secondary.  Those would have been valuable reps.

12.) We ready.. We ready.. We ready

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

19-0 win.

The score implies our vaunted Offense struggled and was held to under 20 points and our Defense was awesome. The Score could not be more deceiving! Josh was MVP Josh. Sanders, Beasley & Davis were fantastic! 3 very long, time consuming drives for TDs. Defense looks as soft as last year -if not worse. ‘Speedy’ earned a roster spot. AJ sucks at long snapping. Zimmer is quickly becoming our new Williams95!
It appears we got out of the preseason relatively injury free, so it’s roster formation time.

We’re on to Pittsburgh in 2 weeks!

Discuss.

It appears the defense is no better than last year as of yet. It could be a problem, especially if we can’t stop the New England running game. If the defense doesn’t improve, I wouldn’t expect a different outcome than last year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

About the  D - I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I think McDermott is 100% into stopping the pass.   He challenges his players to stop the run as well as they can.   I think we'll see it all season long.  

As for bend don't break, far be it from me to criticize McDermott, but I think you pair a high-powered offense with a high-risk, high-reward defense.   The theory is that your priority is to get the ball back to the offense.  The one thing that can hurt the Bills is to limit their offensive possessions.   Ask the Giants in Super Bowl XXV.   So I don't like bend don't break when the Bills have Josh Allen.   Give Josh as many possessions as you can, by getting quick stops and takeaways, even if it means giving up an occasional quick score.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, wjag said:

8.) Think we saw how they plan to throw to "E" today. Quick hitters.

I doubt it.  I think they took what they were given, and they wanted to get some completions on film.   Sanders has made a career going deeper than we saw today, and the Bills didn't get him to back up Beasley.  Sanders is a better version of John Brown; we'll see it at the appropriate time.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I doubt it.  I think they took what they were given, and they wanted to get some completions on film.   Sanders has made a career going deeper than we saw today, and the Bills didn't get him to back up Beasley.  Sanders is a better version of John Brown; we'll see it at the appropriate time.  

I mean

isnt-even-my-final-form.gif

Diggs isn't even out there yet.

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ed wrecked that ****

Jacked up the center so hard he tripped up the QB AND took out the H-back who was supposed to lock down the other side AND forced the RG to peel back and pick him up. :lol:

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm a lot more comfortable with our DT's than I was a month ago, but we are not stout on the second level.

I mean I know he came out extremely young but I haven’t seen Edmunds level up in a couple years. Still can’t disengage blocks, still misreads the hole to fill. What will it take, other than transplanting Klein’s brain?

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

The defense definitely looked shaky to me. They had trouble stopping the run and I worry about cornerback depth.

But I also expect them to shape up once the real games start. I just hope they don't suffer crucial injuries.

"A" gap runs and the RPO will be an issue this year for our D.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Time will tell, but I just don't think Sanders has the wheels anymore to get that reliably deep.  John Brown is 3 years younger.  Unlike QBs, father time slows down RBs and WRs.  I think Sanders will fall into the wiley veteran with good hands role.   I expect him to lull the CB2 to sleep and double move him, but I don't think he is the just run deep guy anymore.

Edit:  I'll also add, I think Diggs has come out and said he wants to run deeper routes too.  Could be E takes some of the middle routes DIggs was running last year.

Edited by wjag
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ralonzo said:

I mean I know he came out extremely young but I haven’t seen Edmunds level up in a couple years. Still can’t disengage blocks, still misreads the hole to fill. What will it take, other than transplanting Klein’s brain?

I wonder if a lot of it might be solved if they could just get him to play a little lower.

53 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Too low!

Yes, but It’s a 70+ position improvement-so there’s that!

42 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Some are saying Zimmer might be odd man out on D-line. I guess I’m watching a different team, because I see him as a starter on the Bills.

We certainly have our fair share of no-nothings..🤦‍♂️

Just now, wjag said:

Time will tell, but I just don't think Sanders has the wheels anymore to get that reliably deep.  John Brown is 3 years younger.  Unlike QBs, father time slows down RBs and WRs.  I think Sanders will fall into the wiley veteran with good hands role.   I expect him to lull the CB2 to sleep and double move him, but I don't think he is the just run deep guy anymore.

Looked plenty quick today.  

I think Beane and the pro scouts know more about what players have left in the tank than you and I.  Beane wasn't interested in signing a possession receiver.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1