8/28/21 Post Game Thread Bills vs Packers Preseason finale

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Trubisky was in for like 1 snap.  I don't know what happened, maybe Fromm got shook or needed an equipment repair or something.  Anyway he was only in for 1 snap IIRC

It's upthread.  McD wanted to surprise him to mimic a game situation.  Go in on a moments notice.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Trubisky was in for like 1 snap.  I don't know what happened, maybe Fromm got shook or needed an equipment repair or something.  Anyway he was only in for 1 snap IIRC

No, McD explained it in post game. He said he just wanted to tell him to get in there without knowing he’d play. Interesting and smart. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was so excited to watch this game and it ended up being a bad thunderstorm so my DVR recording of it went in and out— missed some stretches in the first half (at least two packers possessions and the second drive for the Bills), and so didn’t get a great look at our 1st string defense.

Can someone give me the down low on the defensive issues? 

1st series: Jerry jumped offside on 3rd and 5, free first down.  Open running lanes, looked like Rams running on us at times (not surprised Lafleur and Mcvay similar principles).  Cam Lewis gave up a big pass play, post corner route.  Then a big goal line stand, Tre PBU on 4th and 1.

2nd series: much of the same in running game.  Gave up a big play action completion on 4th and 1.  Hyde picked off a floater in our endzone, Oliver blew up their center and Aj good outside contain/pressure.

Basically everyone expecting a "more stout"/aggressive front likely disappointed.  Going against backups, we didn't look dominate up front as expected.

But my take, our starters just looked a step too slow to diagnose.  Star looked like old self (not dominate but holding his own), and Jordan Love looked poised between the 20s.  We didn't seem to disengage on blocks, nearly as much as in 1st two games, but not worried.  Preseason about knocking off the rust and think we ran some vanilla looks again.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

People

The defense pitched a SHUTOUT today. Sheeesh

Agree! And looking back, it was 2 big pass plays (one against our 4th/5th outside corner, likely cut and another on a broken coverage).  

Stout when we had to be, people need to remember Jordan Love was a 1st rounder for a reason (he looked good) and Matt Lafleur is an excellent offensive mind as well.  

Week 1 is what matters, looked relatively healthy coming out of game.  Overall great preseason

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

People

The defense pitched a SHUTOUT today. Sheeesh

But to be fair, there was no Rodgers, Jones, Adams, Scantling, Cobbs or Tonyan in the game.  And Mason Crosby missed a gimme FG.  I would have liked to see them tune up against their 1s.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ralonzo said:

it’s those weird semi-focus cameras the NFL found in storage from Moonlighting’s cancellation

My brain tried to read that as the Moon landing :lol:

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

1st series: Jerry jumped offside on 3rd and 5, free first down.  Open running lanes, looked like Rams running on us at times (not surprised Lafleur and Mcvay similar principles).  Cam Lewis gave up a big pass play, post corner route.  Then a big goal line stand, Tre PBU on 4th and 1.

2nd series: much of the same in running game.  Gave up a big play action completion on 4th and 1.  Hyde picked off a floater in our endzone, Oliver blew up their center and Aj good outside contain/pressure.

Basically everyone expecting a "more stout"/aggressive front likely disappointed.  Going against backups, we didn't look dominate up front as expected.

But my take, our starters just looked a step too slow to diagnose.  Star looked like old self (not dominate but holding his own), and Jordan Love looked poised between the 20s.  We didn't seem to disengage on blocks, nearly as much as in 1st two games, but not worried.  Preseason about knocking off the rust and think we ran some vanilla looks again.  

Thanks, brother— really appreciate the recap! 

4 minutes ago, wjag said:

But to be fair, there was no Rodgers, Jones, Adams, Scantling, Cobbs or Tonyan in the game.  And Mason Crosby missed a gimme FG.  I would have liked to see them tune up against their 1s.

Ugh 

What people forget is that this is a preseason game. You have no idea how much top speed effort any of the starters are really putting in. Nobody wants to get hurt in a meaningless tune up. Did Tre look like he was ‘all in’ with the shades on during that interview? 

It’s a practice game!

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was so excited to watch this game and it ended up being a bad thunderstorm so my DVR recording of it went in and out— missed some stretches in the first half (at least two packers possessions and the second drive for the Bills), and so didn’t get a great look at our 1st string defense.

Can someone give me the down low on the defensive issues? 

They bled first downs, let the Packers drive down the field, did not give up any really big plays but they did not make them punt. Finally stopped them in the red zone, and also the Packers missed a point-blank field goal. The Packers' time of possession in the first half was almost equal to the the Bills'.

I hope they don't let teams hold the ball so much in the regular season, because Josh can't score sitting on the sidelines. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Thank you (+1) 1