Ouch.....thats gonna leave a mark

HOUSE

10 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Just curious. Are you an NFL coach?

I know where this is going. Are you saying that NFL coaches don't complain to the refs even when it's clear that the refs made the right call?

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

I know where this is going. Are you saying that NFL coaches don't complain to the refs even when it's clear that the refs made the right call?

[OJ to Howard] You have a firm grip on the obvious [/OJ to Howard]

8 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Clear penalty based on the rules but I don’t think it was dirty hit.

I agree. He did not lower his head and lead with the crown of his helmet.  But you can’t hit a QB helmet to helmet these days. Automatic flag. No one on here wants to see Allen take shots like that. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Welcome to the NFL, rookie.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Do you REALLY think that would not get a flag every time, or do you just wish it wouldn’t get a flag? I got some news for you, that will get a flag 10 out of 10 times. Refs don’t care about the chin strap. They are taught to protect the QB at all costs. Every. Single. Time.  

I don’t think it was intentional, and I enjoyed watching it (especially in a blowout preseason game), but I do NOT want to see that hit in a close playoff game. Have to play hard AND smart.

Agreed. Reverse the roles and this board will light up on fire. 

8 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I’ve watched that video 5 times and Fields never even saw him coming! He never lowered his head and the hit was high and reckless.  That get you suspended in the regular season.

That would not result in a suspension in the regular season. You can see Smith bending his head away from Fields' helmet, yet it's not enough and he makes helmet to facemask contact. According to modern rules he was appropriately flagged for it, but that would not get a suspension. 

Also, I don't know if I've seen a helmet that loose since...who was it? McNabb?

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 1

• HOUSE changed the title to Ouch.....thats gonna leave a mark
6 hours ago, NickelCity said:

That would not result in a suspension in the regular season. You can see Smith bending his head away from Fields' helmet, yet it's not enough and he makes helmet to facemask contact. According to modern rules he was appropriately flagged for it, but that would not get a suspension. 

Also, I don't know if I've seen a helmet that loose since...who was it? McNabb?

I agree about how lose the helmet was on. That flew right off.  I see Smith bending his head but it’s towards fields not away. (Obviously IMO).  Mind you if that had been Allen receiving the exact same hit I dare say 90% on this board would be calling for a huge suspension of whoever did the hit. 

Now I don’t think he meant to light him up like that (helmet to helmet) and if I was a Bears fan I’d be just as angry at the lack of O line protection.  (I don’t think anyone touched The Bills guy on the way in)

• Vomit 1

Spare me the sanctimonious BS, I absolutely loved that hit and the best part about it was Fields’ head band going flying off too. It was an absolute yard sale on the field haha. It’s preseason and means nothing so give me a break. If Josh got hit like that I’d say next time switch the protection so you don’t get whacked by a free rusher. It wasn’t dirty, it deserved a flag in today’s NFL. That’s it.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 8/22/2021 at 9:59 AM, PatsFanNH said:

I agree about how lose the helmet was on. That flew right off.  I see Smith bending his head but it’s towards fields not away. (Obviously IMO).  Mind you if that had been Allen receiving the exact same hit I dare say 90% on this board would be calling for a huge suspension of whoever did the hit. 

Now I don’t think he meant to light him up like that (helmet to helmet) and if I was a Bears fan I’d be just as angry at the lack of O line protection.  (I don’t think anyone touched The Bills guy on the way in)

The helmet was fastened correctly, according to fields. It was the particular angle of the hit that made it pop off, he said. 

The hit wasn’t so much on the OL as it was on Fields. The OL did shift protection to the left side which was incorrect as the Bills were overloaded to the right side.  Not sure if that was on the Center, but ultimately it is Fields who needs to see that pre-snap, read the blitz, and take the hot read to the RB in the flat on the right side. He instead wanted to wait on Ridley making the double move on the left and that was the wrong decision with the unblocked pass rusher coming from the right. A vet QB makes that read. Fields said after the game that he was aware of the mistake and it was a learning moment. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1