Any interest in C J Henderson?

10 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Not entirely.

1. It is also a function of surplus at the position. They gave big dollars to Shaquille Griffin and drafted Campbell, whose calling card is also speed.
2. A new regime in a rebuilding situation wants draft picks. They are not wedded to the previous regime’s picks.

3. The head case thing is overblown. Henderson was in the COVID list - so has not been able to practice.
4. Urban Mayer has pissed a lot of Jag players with his college practice habits - whoever heard of publicly announcing head to head winners in an NFL training camp. Guys have begun to chafe under his practice habits already.

Maybe he doesn't suck, but I wouldn't trade for him to find out the hard way.  No one gives up on a high 1st rounder after just 1 year unless he's a bum (see: Rosen).

2 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

right now I see our next number 1 pick being a CB - likely a pick in the late first -so if you want to trade that for a guy who checks ALL their boxes - maybe ?

but Jax likely wants more - but if so - why is he avail ?

For next season?  It's certainly up there.  Could be a BPA situation. 

In the first though - CB, Oline, LB or big nickel LB (if you an.  Several positions they may need to fill or upgrade - NT, Slot WR, RB, TE - to me aren't great values with 1st rounders.  Unless we pick 32 😉 

12 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

STOP IT ALREADY!!!!!

Levi is SOLID CB2!!

Where do people come up with this stuff? 

I'm not interested in trading for Henderson but I still don't get the love for Wallace.

We can and should do a lot better opposite White and Wallace has proven in big games against elite teams (i.e. Chiefs/Mahomes) he's a major liability on the field.

Also speaking of White, if he were to go down for a significant stretch we instantly become one of the worse secondaries in the league. This is why I have to believe Beane is still plotting something and we'll see a proven veteran added at some point in the next few weeks likely via trade.

36 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not interested in trading for Henderson but I still don't get the love for Wallace.

We can and should do a lot better opposite White and Wallace has proven in big games against elite teams (i.e. Chiefs/Mahomes) he's a major liability on the field.

Also speaking of White, if he were to go down for a significant stretch we instantly become one of the worse secondaries in the league. This is why I have to believe Beane is still plotting something and we'll see a proven veteran added at some point in the next few weeks likely via trade.

We need a Sarcasm emoji around here. I've been banging the table for an upgrade at CB2 the last 2 seasons. Look at my recent posts debating with the Levi Man Crush Club.

17 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Solid depth. He can hold his own with Tre locking down the other side.  If Tre gets injured you have a tandem of Wallace and Jackson out there. 😵😵 Are you comfy with that?

17 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Jeez! The Levi crush is strong around here. I get it, fan favorite UDFA feel good story. The guy didn't get any offers as a UFA and ended up staying here for under 2 mil. because this so called solid player couldn't do any better elsewhere. If you think he's not the weakest link on this unit you got blinders on. Yeah I know every team has a "weak link" no matter how serviceable they may appear. They could've upgraded in FA and chose not to so they're either happy with what they have or thought the money is better spent elsewhere like adding another WR to an already stellar group. 🤔 Yes I know cap implications make things difficult. It is what it is. They made it to the AFCCG with him last season and hopefully the pass rush can make him better than the already solid player he is.

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

No. Levi is the weakest link. This defense I'm sure you know is a zone "keep it in front of you" scheme. It is supposedly designed to get QB pressure exclusively with the D front. The Bills are not an attack style D, they're opportunists. They led the league in fewest 40 yard and 20 yard pass plays from opposing offenses. And yes I realize Levi was a part of that. I like Levi and I'm not saying he shouldn't be on the team. I'm saying we could've upgraded and done better than a solid guy who had no interest as a UFA and re-signed for practically league minimum. Please don't try to tell me he had offers but took less to stay with Buffalo😄 

13 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

STOP IT ALREADY!!!!!

Levi is SOLID CB2!!

Where do people come up with this stuff? 

Sarcasm post!^^^^^^

• Haha (+1) 1

$7.43M over three seasons left on Henderson’s contract.  Fully guaranteed.  Fifth year option available.  He had a round one grade from every site I checked, though some had him mid to late first round.  He’s a man coverage boundary CB so if he’s really available some team will take a shot on him.  Like most here, any interest by the Bills would be dependent on compensation.

The one thing I don’t buy is the BS about the Jags being so happy with their CB room they’d let him go.  Why isn’t any other CB on the trade block? Why such a young, highly touted draft pick who you’ve already paid most of his contract dollars to?  That makes no sense.  They want him gone because of something up with him or the organization.  Finding out the real story should be done before any real negotiations. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

CB2  is the one weak link in our defense relative to other positions. A talent like him doesn’t become available often. He can play man and zone. Apparently Urban Mayer and he cannot get along.

After the Diggs trade experience, I have become a lot more receptive to these opportunities. With our draft positions going forward, we are unlikely to get top 10 talent anyway.

And he will still be on a cost controlled rookie contract for three more years with even the signing bonus paid off.

Hmmmm, not sure CB2 is the weakest, we have tons of DL but we probably have no blue-chip DL....at least not this year anyway as Groot is too new....Blue -chip DL is probably something a Super Bowl team needs.

We maybe need a bigger-badder DL and some help at corner.

I will say this though, right now, either Wallace or White goes down we could be in trouble vs. teams like Pittsburgh, Miami and NE.... So we do need some depth.....(and perhaps an upgrade.)

I hope I'm wrong about the DL, but Star never really impressed me. Interested to see Efe, but don't even know if he can make the team.  Groot's too underdeveloped, Boogie is still just a rookie....It should be better than last year having Ed maybe stay at Three-tech, Harry's knee should be better and he sez he's stronger, I Billieve him.... Jerry's another year older but Addison had a really tough year last year..... I do have high hopes for AJ. It would be awesome to find the DL much improved this year.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Maybe he doesn't suck, but I wouldn't trade for him to find out the hard way.  No one gives up on a high 1st rounder after just 1 year unless he's a bum (see: Rosen).

New coaching regimes sometimes get rid of recently drafted players on a discount just to get value for them before they completely flatline their value playing out of scheme or just not clicking with the coaching staff.

I get really concerned when it comes to character concerns. I don’t expect choir boys by any means, we all make mistakes, I get it, we’re human, but I do think character matters. Coachability matters.

I do think having a team full of smart players matters. I do think having a team full of smart players that work together as a team will beat out diva players, on me first rosters any day of the week.

Give me smart players, team first players, hardworking, lunch pal players who will work as a team. Especially since we’re working within a salary cap. Don’t necessarily need stars at every position, just players that do there job in cohesion with the rest of the team as a whole.

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

New coaching regimes sometimes get rid of recently drafted players on a discount just to get value for them before they completely flatline their value playing out of scheme or just not clicking with the coaching staff.

I've rarely seen this happen, much less the player go on to become a good player in the league.  Again, Rosen is the most recent example.

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

$7.43M over three seasons left on Henderson’s contract.  Fully guaranteed.  Fifth year option available.  He had a round one grade from every site I checked,

He had some very obvious flaws on his tape to me. He was the classic speed and size guy that scouts fall in live with. But he was never a true 1st rounder on tape to me.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He had some very obvious flaws on his tape to me. He was the classic speed and size guy that scouts fall in live with. But he was never a true 1st rounder on tape to me.

That’s good to know.  I have done zero work on him myself.  What we’re his big flaws (if you recall)?

41 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s good to know.  I have done zero work on him myself.  What we’re his big flaws (if you recall)?

I felt he struggled with his ball tracking and got grabby in a way that gets called in the league and I (critically for the Bills thinking about it) wasn't convinced he had the necessary awareness and anticipation to play zone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I've rarely seen this happen, much less the player go on to become a good player in the league.  Again, Rosen is the most recent example.

It doesn't happen often but teams cut bait on players for various reasons. I was considering giving up a 3rd round pick for him but giving it some more thought I think a conditional 4th would be as high as I would go. His contract has been heavily paid for by the Jags due to them absorbing the signing bonus. And McD is a master of developing secondary players. They also could use Henderson as a dime back for one season as Levi can hold down the fort short term as he gets used to the system. It's a risk but one I could see the Bills taking and it paying off. 

Part of being a good organization is being able to take guys from other teams and develop them into productive players where they may not have elsewhere. 

22 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s my understanding from the local news outlets down here in FL, is he has issues and that is why he’s potentially available.  I’m very sympathetic with persons having mental health issues, but don’t think we need to add that to our team when we have a perfectly capable CB2 in Wallace.  Again, it’s not Madden.  You’re. Not going to have superstars at every position, but you want an overall healthy team.  Wallace is fine for that role.  We also have a top 5 CB1, and one of the best Safety tandems in the league.  We were 13-3 against a couple of tough divisions last year.   People want to point to T Hill, but they never mention how we kept the Seahawks WR’s in check which is difficult since they are two of the toughest in the league.

Without going back to look at his numbers, I remember DK Metcalf had a strong game against the Bills and it was the first time I’ve watched Tre White and felt he was overmatched against a wide receiver. They didn’t necessarily hold that guy in check, but not many teams can.