Critical Race Theory

12 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Tibs in a nutshell; Don’t understand what I am advocating for, but doing what my mind Sheppard tells me to. 

the technical definition is useful idiot 

No, you clowns who are Trump supporters are the useful idiots. You just think your misinformed little heads actually know something because Trump says it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

No, you clowns who are Trump supporters are the useful idiots. You just think your misinformed little heads actually know something because Trump says it. 

your obsession with that tool is unhealthy… but I understand the owners of your mind need you to continue thinking about him constantly… 

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

your obsession with that tool is unhealthy… but I understand the owners of your mind need you to continue thinking about him constantly… 

No, you are a useful idiot 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

You were branded that a month ago, now you that you’ve learned a new term the I know you are but what am I schtick is cute. 

Please go on talking about CRT that you admitted you are ignorant to or telling an African American contributor to this board how you know more about their life experience than they do as a liberal white leach on society…

Because CNN told you

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You were branded that a month ago, now you that you’ve learned a new term the I know you are but what am I schtick is cute. 

Please go on talking about CRT that you admitted you are ignorant to or telling an African American contributor to this board how you know more about their life experience than they do as a liberal white leach on society…

Because CNN told you

You think that's a new term? You really are an idiot. 

I admit I'm ignorant about it, why doesn't all the other people talking about it admit it also? They clearly can't explain what it is. 

Oh, and one person supposedly claiming they are AA and that means they know it all, is silly. But you fell for it. Figures 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You think that's a new term? You really are an idiot. 

I admit I'm ignorant about it, why doesn't all the other people talking about it admit it also? They clearly can't explain what it is. 

Oh, and one person supposedly claiming they are AA and that means they know it all, is silly. But you fell for it. Figures 

When someone as low functioning as yourself lashes out I appreciate it’s due to insurmountable insecurities..  I have nothing but sympathy for you, tibs you poor little programed small mind… 

now please continue educating everyone on what it’s like to be black in America from your taxpayer funded little motor boat… 

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

When someone as low functioning as yourself lashes out I appreciate it’s due to insurmountable insecurities..  I have nothing but sympathy for you, tibs you poor little programed small mind… 

now please continue educating everyone on what it’s like to be black in America from your taxpayer funded little motor boat… 

It's a sailboat with a small 4 HP motor, moron 

22 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Sore loser 

21 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Why are you claiming an ignorance stance

13 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

the technical definition is useful idiot 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

No, you clowns who are Trump supporters are the useful idiots.

34 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

29 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Please go on talking about CRT that you admitted you are ignorant

25 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You really are an idiot.

16 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

When someone as low functioning as yourself

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

moron 

This thread has disintegrated into a bunch of personal insults and is no longer serving a useful purpose.

Therefore, a gratuitous photo of a woman with big jugs is needed to restore this thread to intelligent conversation:

tumblr_ooomgdPQAQ1tjbvgso1_540.gifv

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Still no response to this gentleman I see................

Black Father Demolishes Critical Race Theory by Asking One Question: “How Do I Have Two Medical Degrees If I’m
Sitting Here Oppressed?”

by Kyle Becker

https://trendingpolitics.com/black-father-demolishes-critical-race-theory-by-asking-one-question-how-do-i-have-two-medical-degrees-if-im-sitting-here-oppressed-knab/

Screenshot-6_20_2021-11_17_55-AM.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 1

A kid with the right attitude takes on her school board’s BLM hypocrisy

by Andrea Widburg

I’m not a huge fan of videos showing elementary or middle school kids at school board meetings complaining about Critical Race Theory or BLM propaganda. It’s always so obvious that the kids got a lot of help from Mom and Dad. The kids may believe what they’re saying but it’s not their voice talking. That’s not the case with a nine-year-old girl from Lakeville, Minnesota, who gave school board members a verbal whipping for lying about political posters on school property. While it’s clear that her values come from her parents, the voice is her own.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/06/a_kid_with_the_right_attitude_takes_on_her_school_boards_blm_hypocrisy.html

"Courage is contagious, so be courageous." Way to go young lady

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

Because, in public debate, we are confident freedom will win every time, and encourage open discussion ..clearly, Marxists do not have the same confidence in their ideology’s success in open debate...hence the need for censorship...👍

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Critical Breast Theory! 

You probably know little about that theory as well.  :P

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Still no response to this gentleman I see................

Black Father Demolishes Critical Race Theory by Asking One Question: “How Do I Have Two Medical Degrees If I’m
Sitting Here Oppressed?”

by Kyle Becker

https://trendingpolitics.com/black-father-demolishes-critical-race-theory-by-asking-one-question-how-do-i-have-two-medical-degrees-if-im-sitting-here-oppressed-knab/

Screenshot-6_20_2021-11_17_55-AM.jpg

Because is he were white he'd have three with 1/3 the effort. Duh. 

8 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Lol, that has been the African American experience in the USA. That’s the history. And I am telling you. 

Sorry dude, I have lost all respect for you now.

First a few days ago you stated you don't know anything about Critical Race Theory yet still argue for it.

Today you tell a black man how he is supposed to feel about racism.

This is so typical of the white savior complex so prevalent today.  The white man (person) is going to ride in on his trusty white stead and fix everything for those poor ignorant black people who cannot help themselves.  This tactic invariably only makes thing worse. See Great Society and the ensuing 3 1/2 times rise in single parenthood.  Another good example is the predominantly white city council members in Minneapolis defunding the police and the resultant rise of crime mostly affecting blacks negatively.

• Thank you (+1) 1

They're trying to make it part of curriculum in every school from K through Uni, but somehow YOU'RE obsessed. That's rich.

Why Critical Race Theory Isn't About Just Teaching Social Studies

By Joe Cunningham

https://redstate.com/joesquire/2021/06/21/why-critical-race-theory-isnt-about-just-teaching-social-studies-n399983

They do not deny this, largely because they cannot deny it with any intellectual honesty. The point of Critical Race Theory is to divide white and black into oppressor and oppressed. It creates a class divide that is much greater than what we actually see in reality. The theory does not match the world.

As far as academic theories go, the first red flag is the fact that it has its own built-in counter for anyone who would challenge it: You are privileged, and therefore cannot see it. That is not a fair response to challenge, nor does it stand up in any meaningful rhetorical discussion. But, this isn’t about any civilized rhetorical discussion. It’s about division.

Contrary to what the activists are saying right now, the history of racial strife in America was taught long before CRT became an educational tool (it originated as a legal theory and only recently transitioned into an educational application). For decades, we have taught in our classrooms that so much of American history is problematic in terms of how our country has treated minority groups, and that hasn’t stopped simply because some states are passing laws to ban CRT in our districts and schools.

But, you would not know that just listening to the people losing their minds that parents might expect to have a say in how their taxpayer dollars are being spent to divide their kids from one another. Late last week and over the weekend, there were many who lamented that Juneteenth was a federal holiday we can’t teach about in school… except that the bills garnering the most public attention (like in Florida and Texas) specifically stated that such issues have to be discussed in history classrooms.

Take Texas, for example. Juneteenth has been a recognized holiday in that state for decades, because the day originated in Texas. Moreover, the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for the state’s education system include this in seventh grade social studies:

(Several examples of teaching plans highlighting slavery given, for Middle school and High school)

Critical Race Theory proponents want you to think that the only way this history gets taught in schools is through the adoption of their worldview, but indoctrinating with any particular worldview runs counter to how education should operate. The point of education is to teach a student to think, not tell them how to think. And it damn sure isn’t about teaching kids how to think of themselves and others solely through the lens of racial identity.

On 6/20/2021 at 2:04 PM, Capco said:

I meant to expand on this but I got tired and never actually touched on the specifics that trouble me.  I'm just gonna copy/paste from the Wiki page on CRT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory), but this page has been watched like a hawk by Wiki's editors lately so I'm pretty sure most of the information on here is accurate.  The sources, which I will list at the end, seem legit.  

First, let's get this "liberal/ism" thing out of the way for the people that see the word and immediately cry foul.  In this context it is not a reference to modern day political party ideology, so leave that at the door please.  

Anyway, my reservations with CRT begin with scholars that question concepts like rationalism, legal equality, and Constitutional neutrality.  These are, imo, extremely important concepts. The implementation of these concepts is necessary for democracy to function at a high level. 

Furthermore, critiquing ideas like color blindness, role modeling, and the merit principle leave me scratching my head.  For example, I don't understand how one can attack the concept of colorblindness.  Every single child is born colorblind.  If you put 10 toddlers in a room with toys and observe them, they will all start to play with each other irrespective of skin color.  They haven't learned about race yet.  And rational thought is exactly what brought me to this conclusion.  

But this is also where the food for thought part of CRT can come into play.  For example, if the above reasoning is true, and race isn't a "real" thing, then someone else might come along and say "racism cannot be a real thing if race itself isn't a real thing."  Yet we all know that racism is very much a real phenomenon.  

Criticize Brown v. Board of Education... okay.  That doesn't exactly put you in good company.  But the underlined part is... well, tbh it sounds like quite a stretch.

Reparations is something I have no problem with.  But separation?  Black nationalism?  Are these not divisive stances to take?  If black nationalism is okay, then is white nationalism okay too?  If not, then there is inherent hypocrisy.  And if so, then that ultimately sounds kinda... well, racist, doesn't it?

Also note that these quotes are from Views/Common Themes section, and not the Criticism section of the article.

Another view CRT holds is the use of storytelling to "name one's own reality."  Critics argue that this view, combined with a rejection of merit and rational thought, ends up elevating storytelling over reason and evidence.  The following quotes are from the Criticism section, which I believe are pretty self-explanatory.

Sources:

[9]  "The Skin Trade", Richard Posner, 1997

[13] "Critical race theory: An Introduction", Delgado and Stefancic, 2017

[29, 30, 32] "Critical Race Theory: An Annotated Bibliography", Delgado and Stefancic, 1993

[51] "Race, Equality and the Rule of Law: Critical Race Theory's Attack on the Promises of Liberalism", Jeffrey Pyle, 1999

[52] "Bending the Law", Alex Kozinski, 1997

I spent a pretty decent chunk of time writing this and I can't even get a response or reaction from one person?  

Instead it's just 2 more pages of poo flinging.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

They're trying to make it part of curriculum in every school from K through Uni, but somehow YOU'RE obsessed. That's rich.

Why Critical Race Theory Isn't About Just Teaching Social Studies

By Joe Cunningham

https://redstate.com/joesquire/2021/06/21/why-critical-race-theory-isnt-about-just-teaching-social-studies-n399983

They do not deny this, largely because they cannot deny it with any intellectual honesty. The point of Critical Race Theory is to divide white and black into oppressor and oppressed. It creates a class divide that is much greater than what we actually see in reality. The theory does not match the world.

As far as academic theories go, the first red flag is the fact that it has its own built-in counter for anyone who would challenge it: You are privileged, and therefore cannot see it. That is not a fair response to challenge, nor does it stand up in any meaningful rhetorical discussion. But, this isn’t about any civilized rhetorical discussion. It’s about division.

Contrary to what the activists are saying right now, the history of racial strife in America was taught long before CRT became an educational tool (it originated as a legal theory and only recently transitioned into an educational application). For decades, we have taught in our classrooms that so much of American history is problematic in terms of how our country has treated minority groups, and that hasn’t stopped simply because some states are passing laws to ban CRT in our districts and schools.

But, you would not know that just listening to the people losing their minds that parents might expect to have a say in how their taxpayer dollars are being spent to divide their kids from one another. Late last week and over the weekend, there were many who lamented that Juneteenth was a federal holiday we can’t teach about in school… except that the bills garnering the most public attention (like in Florida and Texas) specifically stated that such issues have to be discussed in history classrooms.

Take Texas, for example. Juneteenth has been a recognized holiday in that state for decades, because the day originated in Texas. Moreover, the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for the state’s education system include this in seventh grade social studies:

(Several examples of teaching plans highlighting slavery given, for Middle school and High school)

Critical Race Theory proponents want you to think that the only way this history gets taught in schools is through the adoption of their worldview, but indoctrinating with any particular worldview runs counter to how education should operate. The point of education is to teach a student to think, not tell them how to think. And it damn sure isn’t about teaching kids how to think of themselves and others solely through the lens of racial identity.

You said it best .

It's about division.. not "teaching" anything .. and you learn about slavery and Jim crow and segregation in schools

This kinda stuff getting taught to kids is to divide and oppress 

49 minutes ago, Capco said:

I spent a pretty decent chunk of time writing this and I can't even get a response or reaction from one person?  

Don’t be trying to bring your well thought out opinions on here. Tibs and Billstime are trying to stoke a Junior High worthy pillow fight! 

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Grassroots fighting CRT in the classroom is not big evil scary conservative groups or politicians … it’s parents and teachers of all races and political ideals who do NOT want this garbage being taught to their children.

Imagine if instead of pretending these parents and teachers are too stupid to understand CRT the proponents of this indoctrination actually listened to them.

Arguments like Sarah’s are simply meant to obfuscate what is going on. History can be taught accurately without using this lens.

In fact removing it encourages critical thinking.

I hate the shorthand to “CRT” because the lens is used on all characteristics to include Sex, sexual preference, gender identity, immigration status, religion, disability & even body morphology. It teaches children the very things that help them succeed like, time management, showing their work, getting the right answer in math, are a grand conspiracy of their Historical oppressors to keep them down. It is absurd, destructive, and crippling. And antithetical to the approach of great men & women who straddle history with a foot in their childhood when America was at its worst through our progression to being much more equal and fair than the vast majority nations in history.

It ignores the success of Thomas Sowell, Bob Woodward, Carol Swain, Condi Rice, Ben Carson, Clarence Thomas, Glenn Loury & countless others who lived through the scourge of legal segregation to become iconic figures in the American story. Critical theories ignore these icons & so does the left because they disprove the thesis.

People like Sarah are either lying about critical theory or think it is confined to how we teach history. They either need to educate themselves or stop hiding the ball. Because on the ground, the grassroots movement is parents across the political spectrum of all races that object to the lens that is being used to teach our children to judge others motives, thinking & worth by their observable characteristics. As a nation we decided this was wrong in 1964 & have worked to continue to improve ever since.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Grassroots fighting CRT in the classroom is not big evil scary conservative groups or politicians … it’s parents and teachers of all races and political ideals who do NOT want this garbage being taught to their children.

Imagine if instead of pretending these parents and teachers are too stupid to understand CRT the proponents of this indoctrination actually listened to them.

Arguments like Sarah’s are simply meant to obfuscate what is going on. History can be taught accurately without using this lens.

In fact removing it encourages critical thinking.

I hate the shorthand to “CRT” because the lens is used on all characteristics to include Sex, sexual preference, gender identity, immigration status, religion, disability & even body morphology. It teaches children the very things that help them succeed like, time management, showing their work, getting the right answer in math, are a grand conspiracy of their Historical oppressors to keep them down. It is absurd, destructive, and crippling. And antithetical to the approach of great men & women who straddle history with a foot in their childhood when America was at its worst through our progression to being much more equal and fair than the vast majority nations in history.

It ignores the success of Thomas Sowell, Bob Woodward, Carol Swain, Condi Rice, Ben Carson, Clarence Thomas, Glenn Loury & countless others who lived through the scourge of legal segregation to become iconic figures in the American story. Critical theories ignore these icons & so does the left because they disprove the thesis.

People like Sarah are either lying about critical theory or think it is confined to how we teach history. They either need to educate themselves or stop hiding the ball. Because on the ground, the grassroots movement is parents across the political spectrum of all races that object to the lens that is being used to teach our children to judge others motives, thinking & worth by their observable characteristics. As a nation we decided this was wrong in 1964 & have worked to continue to improve ever since.

Overall this is a pretty decent take, except for two things.  First, I'd throw the very first sentence out:  

Critical theories are the lens through which K-12 is being taught.

I have yet to see evidence that this is happening.  The entirety of K-12?  Every single class?  In every single district?  It's unfortunate because this sentence immediately derails the rest of the commentary.  

Second, this sentence paints with extremely broad brush strokes:

Critical theories ignore these icons & so does the left because they disprove the thesis.

Like, I could have accepted far left or extreme left, but not just left.  Granted, it's Twitter but they also didn't mind writing this over 8 tweets.  

Also, I'm not sure why you left the last sentence out:

Gen Z is the most tolerant generation in history according to social science research, a testament to our success.

Since I think it drives home the author's point very well.  And that is that you can't have the most tolerant generation in the nation's history if the system is designed to encourage less tolerance. 

In fact, the ones who seemingly espouse less tolerance (CRT) are also the ones decrying the system that allowed the most tolerant generation in the nation's history to come about.  It's just not a good look...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Again - CRT, CT, gender theory, pragmatism, behaviorism, etc are all pedagogical theories related to teaching.

Prospective teachers learn these theories in university and apply lessons learned from each in order to teach their pupils as they see fit.

Pupils are not being taught CRT. They're not being taught constructivism. ETC

Another example of obfuscation - one side screaming this, that, and the other thing are CRT - when they clearly are not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 716er said:

Again - CRT, CT, gender theory, pragmatism, behaviorism, etc are all pedagogical theories related to teaching.

Prospective teachers learn these theories in university and apply lessons learned from each in order to teach their pupils as they see fit.

Pupils are not being taught CRT. They're not being taught constructivism. ETC

Another example of obfuscation - one side screaming this, that, and the other thing are CRT - when they clearly are not.

So if not that then what are students being taught? I assume they’re still being taught, as we all were, that slavery isn’t/wasn’t good. No? Are we done now? Can they learn things they don’t know. 

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

So if not that then what are students being taught? I assume they’re still being taught, as we all were, that slavery isn’t/wasn’t good. No? Are we done now? Can they learn things they don’t know. 

As far as I can tell, the only direct connection between CRT and public schools is the 1619 Project, which, in certain districts, is allowed to be taught in some (non-radical) form as supplementary material if the teachers/districts desire.  

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Math, sciences, English, social studies- whatever their state (if public) dictates.

• Like (+1) 1

COLORADO: Aurora teacher pledges to teach critical race theory, like it or not. 

“Common ground doesn’t mean meeting in the middle.The only common ground that exists is what exists in leftist beliefs. Because conservative ‘common ground’ leaves out people who are poor, BIPOC, *****, with disabilities, etc. But OUR common ground includes the liberation for all.”

As Rebellion Against Critical Race Theory Grows, Left Turns to Denial, Dismissal.

Americans are waking up to the threat posed by critical race theory, which is often presented behind a cloak of secrecy and the banner of social justice, and across the country, they are now fighting back.

The Biden administration may have reversed former President Donald Trump’s ban on critical race theory and so-called anti-racist training in government agencies, but Americans from a diverse set of backgrounds are now making this a national fight, which is dramatically playing out on the local and state level.

What has been the response from the left to this popular rebellion against critical race theory?

Denial and dismissal.

When asked about debates over critical race theory taking place at school board meetings in Northern Virginia, former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe, a Democrat, earlier this month called it a “right-wing conspiracy” made up by Republicans.

On Sunday, NBC’s “Meet the Press” host Chuck Todd said that resistance to critical race theory was “manufactured,” and one of his guests, Cornell Belcher, a Democratic Party strategist, said it was nothing more than a “tool … in the racial tribal bogeyman’s toolbox,” concocted for electoral purposes.

Others on the left have said that critical race theory has been too broadly defined by opponents and legislatures that want to remove it from public institutions. It’s just an insignificant school issue, they insist: Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Critical race theory is bad, you say? We’ve never heard of it, but stop trying to stop it, fascist!

These dismissive rebukes miss the point that many Americans reject the broad range of woke racial ideology that is broadly being promoted by activists, media, corporations, bureaucrats, and even the military to destructive effect.

Has the left bothered to narrowly define “white supremacy”—or for that matter, racism, which has been attributed to apple pie, bird names, and the air, among other things?

Of course not.

The fact is, critical race theory has given rise to a host of terrible ideas and policies that have gone by many names.

Information about what critical race theory and various other “anti-racism” programs are really about has been exposed by Christopher Rufo, a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute, and many others. Its influence in schools has also been revealed by the fact that many parents have directly witnessed it as a result of the COVID-19 lockdowns and the resulting move to virtual education at home.

More at the link:  https://www.dailysignal.com/2021/06/21/as-rebellion-against-critical-race-theory-grows-left-turns-to-denial-dismissal

13 minutes ago, 716er said:

Math, sciences, English, social studies- whatever their state (if public) dictates.

So since EVERYONE seems to agree that CRT shouldn’t be and/or isn’t being taught in our public schools, nobody should be upset that parents are being proactive in speaking out to their elected school board officials. Done! 

• Agree 1

Don't Ban CRT. Expose It.

There's a liberal way to fight illiberalism. And it's beginning to work.

Andrew Sullivan

FTA:

How on earth could merely teaching students about the history of racism and its pervasiveness in the United States provoke such a fuss? No wonder Charles Blow is mystified. But don’t worry. The MSM have a ready explanation: the GOP needs an inflammatory issue to rile their racist base, and so this entire foofaraw is really just an astro-turfed, ginned-up partisan gambit about nothing. The MSM get particular pleasure in ridiculing parents who use the term “critical race theory” as shorthand for things that just, well, make them uncomfortable — when the parents obviously have no idea what CRT really is.

When pushed to describe it themselves, elite journalists refer to the legal theories Derrick Bell came up with, in the 1970s — obscure, esoteric and nothing really to do with high-school teaching. “If your kid is learning CRT, your kid is in law/grad school,” snarked one. Marc Lamont Hill even tried to pull off some strained references to Gramsci to prove his Marxian intellectual cred, and to condescend to his opponents.

This rubric achieves several things at once. It denies that there is anything really radical or new about CRT; it flatters the half-educated; it blames the controversy entirely on Republican opportunism; and it urges all fair-minded people to defend intellectual freedom and racial sensitivity against these ugly white supremacists.

What could be more convenient? NBC News “reporter”, Brandy Zadrozny, even decried parents’ attempts to discover through FOIA requests just what their children

are being taught — and argued this week that, “for longtime ultra conservative activists, CRT is the opportunity of a lifetime.” CRT, she explains, is not a threat at all, and there is no proof that it is even being taught. It’s “just a catch-all term repurposed as a conservative boogeyman.” She goes on: “it harnesses pushback against 2020’s racial justice movement, covid denialism, and depends on a base still energized by Trump and misinformation, looking for political power.”

I’m sure the MSM will continue to push this narrative indefinitely. They are still insisting, after all, that “white supremacy” is behind hateful attacks on Asian-Americans, and that soaring murder rates are purely a function of Covid19. And you can see why: this dismissive take is extremely helpful in avoiding what is actually happening. It diverts attention from the stories and leaks and documents that keep popping up all over the place about extraordinary indoctrination sessions that have become mandatory for children as early as kindergarten.

And no, 6-year-olds are not being taught Derrick Bell — or forced to read Judith Butler, or God help them, Kimberlé Crenshaw. Of course they aren’t — and I don’t know anyone who says they are. 

But they are being taught popularized terms, new words, and a whole new epistemology that is directly downstream of academic critical theory. Ibram X. Kendi even has an AntiRacist Baby Picture Book so you can indoctrinate your child into the evil of whiteness as soon as she or he can gurgle. It’s a little hard to argue that CRT is not interested in indoctrinating kids when its chief proponent in the US has a kiddy book on the market.

The goal of education of children this young is to cement the notion at the most formative age that America is at its core an oppressive racist system uniquely designed to exploit, harm, abuse, and even kill the non-white. This can be conveyed in easy terms, by training kids to see themselves first and foremost as racial avatars, and by inculcating in them a sense of their destiny as members of the oppressed or oppressor classes in the zero-sum struggle for power that is American society in 2021.

Let me draw an analogy to another kind of education. In Catholic kindergarten, kids are not taught Aquinas, the debates about the Trinity in the early church, or the intricacies of transubstantiation. But they are taught that they were created by God, in his image, and that they should love one another. All of this is part of Catholicism. But the former is abstract and esoteric; the latter is the practical, downstream application of these truths — accessible to children, to direct their morality. As they grow up, they will learn more. But it is all part of the same system of faith and thought. Its words and values resonate throughout it all: love, compassion, sin, forgiveness, dignity, God, heaven. 

Similarly with CRT, impenetrable academic discourse at the elite level is translated to child-friendly truisms, with the same aim — to change behavior. And so the notion that the most important thing about a child is that she is white, and this makes her part of an oppressive system purposely designed to hurt her new friend, who is black, is how this comes out in an actual real-life scenario. And she has to account for her indelible “whiteness”, just as Catholic kids have to account for their sins. CRT has its own words and values, and they are instilled from the beginning: racism, systems, intersectionality, hegemony, oppression, whiteness, privilege, cisgender, and “doing the work,” as CRT convert Dr. Jill Biden would say.

To give an example from an elementary school in California, a teacher in a math class, asked all students to create an “identity map,” listing their race, class, gender, religion, family structure, and other characteristics. The teacher explained that the students live in a “dominant culture” of “white, middle class, cisgender, educated, able-bodied, Christian, English speaker[s],” who, according to the lesson, “created and maintained” this culture in order “to hold power and stay in power.”

The class of 8-year-olds then learned from a book helpfully titled “This Is An Antiracist Book” how some parts of their identity could be oppressive or oppressed. No, they were not introduced to Foucault or Marcuse. But they, and countless others across the country, especially in the past year, are being trained to see the world through a neo-Marxian lens of identity group power-struggle, even in a math class. 

I don’t know what planet you have to be on to be shocked that when a child reports this kind of thing back to her parents, the parents want to know what on earth is going on. This is not something only “ultra-conservative” activists would react to, as NBC News’ woke reporters seem to believe.

This is not teaching about critical race theory; it is teaching in critical race theory. And it is compulsory and often hidden from parents.

It contradicts the core foundations of our liberal society; and is presented not as one truth to be contrasted with others, but as the truth, the basis on which all other truths are built. That’s why teaching based on CRT will make children see themselves racially from the get-go, why it will separate them into different racial groups, why it will compel white kids to internalize their complicity in evil, tell black kids that all their troubles are a function of white people, banish objective measurements of success to avoid stigmatizing failure, and treat children of different races differently in a classically racist hierarchy.

And this is why — crucially — it will suppress any other way of seeing the world — because any other way, by definition, is merely perpetuating oppression. As Kendi constantly reminds us, it is either/or. An antiracist cannot exist with a liberalism that perpetuates racism. And it’s always the liberalism that has to go. 

And this has always been the point. There is something so disingenuous about critical theorists both arguing that they are revealing the real truth about the world in order to change it, and then claiming that they’re just offering an alternative take of history within a liberal context. You can see this intellectually dishonest bait-and-switch in the 1619 Project. It claims something truly radical — that the real founding of America was in 1619 because the core meaning of America is white

supremacy, not liberal democracy — and then, when called on it, turns around and says no, silly, we’re just engaging in a thought-experiment to explain how racism has affected all of us, and to provoke debate. Well: which is it? In theory, they tell you it is all compatible with liberalism; in practice, they prove and believe the opposite. 

MUCH MORE at the link: https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/dont-ban-crt-expose-it-2d9

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/20/2021 at 3:29 PM, SoCal Deek said:

The very premise of CRT is all wrong. It’s a simple matter of cause and effect. The country doesn’t suffer from systemic racism....it ‘suffers’ from systemic capitalism.  Now, it just so happens that blacks find themselves at the low end of the economic ladder...but it’s certainly not from racism. It’s been caused from decades of well intentioned but horrible liberal  democrat social policies. In a nutshell!

FIFY

• Like (+1) 1

GEORGE KORDA: UT’s Critical Race Collective’s five tenets – and the questions they raise.

1. Centrality of Race and Racism in Society: CRT asserts that racism is a central component of American life.

2. Challenge to Dominant Ideology: CRT challenges the claims of neutrality, objectivity, colorblindness, and meritocracy in society.

3. Centrality of Experiential Knowledge: CRT asserts that the experiential knowledge of people of color is appropriate, legitimate, and an integral part to analyzing and understanding racial inequality.

4. Interdisciplinary Perspective: CRT challenges ahistoricism and the unidisciplinary focuses of most analyses and insists that race and racism be placed in both a contemporary and historical context using interdisciplinary methods.

5. Commitment to Social Justice: CRT is a framework that is committed to a social justice agenda to eliminate all forms of subordination of people.

More at the link.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/george-korda/2021/06/22/uts-critical-race-collectives-five-tenets-raise-questions-korda/7772462002/

2 hours ago, Wacka said:

FIFY

Your fix was just to change liberal to democrat? I’d disagree. While these programs are indeed generally authored by democrats I’d suggest that they are at their core, liberal, philosophically speaking. In other words instead of crafting legislation bent on discouraging ‘bad’ behavior, we look at the outcome of that behavior and write laws that appease those that have already ‘gone wrong’. The unintended consequence has been a train wreck for the black community. Horrendous really.

23 hours ago, Capco said:

Wiki??  Really??  :rolleyes:

:P

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, B-Man said:

Don't Ban CRT. Expose It.

There's a liberal way to fight illiberalism. And it's beginning to work.

Andrew Sullivan

FTA:

How on earth could merely teaching students about the history of racism and its pervasiveness in the United States provoke such a fuss? No wonder Charles Blow is mystified. But don’t worry. The MSM have a ready explanation: the GOP needs an inflammatory issue to rile their racist base, and so this entire foofaraw is really just an astro-turfed, ginned-up partisan gambit about nothing. The MSM get particular pleasure in ridiculing parents who use the term “critical race theory” as shorthand for things that just, well, make them uncomfortable — when the parents obviously have no idea what CRT really is.

When pushed to describe it themselves, elite journalists refer to the legal theories Derrick Bell came up with, in the 1970s — obscure, esoteric and nothing really to do with high-school teaching. “If your kid is learning CRT, your kid is in law/grad school,” snarked one. Marc Lamont Hill even tried to pull off some strained references to Gramsci to prove his Marxian intellectual cred, and to condescend to his opponents.

This rubric achieves several things at once. It denies that there is anything really radical or new about CRT; it flatters the half-educated; it blames the controversy entirely on Republican opportunism; and it urges all fair-minded people to defend intellectual freedom and racial sensitivity against these ugly white supremacists.

What could be more convenient? NBC News “reporter”, Brandy Zadrozny, even decried parents’ attempts to discover through FOIA requests just what their children

are being taught — and argued this week that, “for longtime ultra conservative activists, CRT is the opportunity of a lifetime.” CRT, she explains, is not a threat at all, and there is no proof that it is even being taught. It’s “just a catch-all term repurposed as a conservative boogeyman.” She goes on: “it harnesses pushback against 2020’s racial justice movement, covid denialism, and depends on a base still energized by Trump and misinformation, looking for political power.”

I’m sure the MSM will continue to push this narrative indefinitely. They are still insisting, after all, that “white supremacy” is behind hateful attacks on Asian-Americans, and that soaring murder rates are purely a function of Covid19. And you can see why: this dismissive take is extremely helpful in avoiding what is actually happening. It diverts attention from the stories and leaks and documents that keep popping up all over the place about extraordinary indoctrination sessions that have become mandatory for children as early as kindergarten.

And no, 6-year-olds are not being taught Derrick Bell — or forced to read Judith Butler, or God help them, Kimberlé Crenshaw. Of course they aren’t — and I don’t know anyone who says they are. 

But they are being taught popularized terms, new words, and a whole new epistemology that is directly downstream of academic critical theory. Ibram X. Kendi even has an AntiRacist Baby Picture Book so you can indoctrinate your child into the evil of whiteness as soon as she or he can gurgle. It’s a little hard to argue that CRT is not interested in indoctrinating kids when its chief proponent in the US has a kiddy book on the market.

The goal of education of children this young is to cement the notion at the most formative age that America is at its core an oppressive racist system uniquely designed to exploit, harm, abuse, and even kill the non-white. This can be conveyed in easy terms, by training kids to see themselves first and foremost as racial avatars, and by inculcating in them a sense of their destiny as members of the oppressed or oppressor classes in the zero-sum struggle for power that is American society in 2021.

Let me draw an analogy to another kind of education. In Catholic kindergarten, kids are not taught Aquinas, the debates about the Trinity in the early church, or the intricacies of transubstantiation. But they are taught that they were created by God, in his image, and that they should love one another. All of this is part of Catholicism. But the former is abstract and esoteric; the latter is the practical, downstream application of these truths — accessible to children, to direct their morality. As they grow up, they will learn more. But it is all part of the same system of faith and thought. Its words and values resonate throughout it all: love, compassion, sin, forgiveness, dignity, God, heaven. 

Similarly with CRT, impenetrable academic discourse at the elite level is translated to child-friendly truisms, with the same aim — to change behavior. And so the notion that the most important thing about a child is that she is white, and this makes her part of an oppressive system purposely designed to hurt her new friend, who is black, is how this comes out in an actual real-life scenario. And she has to account for her indelible “whiteness”, just as Catholic kids have to account for their sins. CRT has its own words and values, and they are instilled from the beginning: racism, systems, intersectionality, hegemony, oppression, whiteness, privilege, cisgender, and “doing the work,” as CRT convert Dr. Jill Biden would say.

To give an example from an elementary school in California, a teacher in a math class, asked all students to create an “identity map,” listing their race, class, gender, religion, family structure, and other characteristics. The teacher explained that the students live in a “dominant culture” of “white, middle class, cisgender, educated, able-bodied, Christian, English speaker[s],” who, according to the lesson, “created and maintained” this culture in order “to hold power and stay in power.”

The class of 8-year-olds then learned from a book helpfully titled “This Is An Antiracist Book” how some parts of their identity could be oppressive or oppressed. No, they were not introduced to Foucault or Marcuse. But they, and countless others across the country, especially in the past year, are being trained to see the world through a neo-Marxian lens of identity group power-struggle, even in a math class. 

I don’t know what planet you have to be on to be shocked that when a child reports this kind of thing back to her parents, the parents want to know what on earth is going on. This is not something only “ultra-conservative” activists would react to, as NBC News’ woke reporters seem to believe.

This is not teaching about critical race theory; it is teaching in critical race theory. And it is compulsory and often hidden from parents.

It contradicts the core foundations of our liberal society; and is presented not as one truth to be contrasted with others, but as the truth, the basis on which all other truths are built. That’s why teaching based on CRT will make children see themselves racially from the get-go, why it will separate them into different racial groups, why it will compel white kids to internalize their complicity in evil, tell black kids that all their troubles are a function of white people, banish objective measurements of success to avoid stigmatizing failure, and treat children of different races differently in a classically racist hierarchy.

And this is why — crucially — it will suppress any other way of seeing the world — because any other way, by definition, is merely perpetuating oppression. As Kendi constantly reminds us, it is either/or. An antiracist cannot exist with a liberalism that perpetuates racism. And it’s always the liberalism that has to go. 

And this has always been the point. There is something so disingenuous about critical theorists both arguing that they are revealing the real truth about the world in order to change it, and then claiming that they’re just offering an alternative take of history within a liberal context. You can see this intellectually dishonest bait-and-switch in the 1619 Project. It claims something truly radical — that the real founding of America was in 1619 because the core meaning of America is white

supremacy, not liberal democracy — and then, when called on it, turns around and says no, silly, we’re just engaging in a thought-experiment to explain how racism has affected all of us, and to provoke debate. Well: which is it? In theory, they tell you it is all compatible with liberalism; in practice, they prove and believe the opposite. 

MUCH MORE at the link: https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/dont-ban-crt-expose-it-2d9

that’s been my choice, to expose what neoracist bs this all is, and tell the kids to go on doing your best, working hard, respecting people around you,  being critical and question everyone and everything you hear, see people as individuals not groups identified by nefariously motivated social engineers or politicians trying to divide and conquer people, kick ass and never apologize for succeeding. The world is a tough cruel and unfair place. And nobody better has your best interests in mind than you. And anyone who judges anyone for anything based on how they look is ignorant, racist, bigoted, prejudiced garbage.  That includes anyone who tells. what you are because of how you look. And your relatives came here WITH NOTHING long after the stain of the past were washed away and by the way were subjected to genocide too. 

basically 🖕 to all the whiners complaining about victims of society and guilt. 

it’s resonated pretty well. I’m thinking of writing a Suess type book … “the woke are a joke, perpetrating a hoke and usually broke, with crazy ideals sure to croak.”

On 6/23/2021 at 12:22 AM, unbillievable said:

This was a treat...I think I could be woke, but I enjoy telling jokes that center around racial stereotypes, and individual eccentricities too much...I just feel, as flawed humans, it’s important to be able to laugh at ourselves...after all, we are quite an amusing species...😉

https://youtu.be/jhJDAI7XaAA

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 1