How did Jaret Patterson go undrafted??

He's a 5'6" RB, without blazing speed, who doesn't offer much in the receiving game. How many LB's is he picking up on blitzes? How many DE's is he going to be able to slow down who evade the first level of blockers? He was a good story at UB, but he's just not that intriguing of a prospect when you take everything into account. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

I watched him quite a bit.  He's a "gamer", but he doesn't really pass the eyeball test, even against MAC opponents.  He's small and very slow by NFL standards.  I just don't see him overcoming his athletic shortcomings.  Practice squad fodder at best, imo.  

Nah that's bull man, sorry. He ran a 4.51 which is faster than both Motor and Zach Moss and a lot of other RBs in the NFL. No way a slow player has that many long TD runs even in the MAC

Edited by Big Turk

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Small, slow, MAC back in a time when the RB position has never been more undervalued. Good numbers but no elite traits. Doesn't shock me at all. I didn't see anyone who thought he was going in the 3rd or 4th Round. 

His short area elusiveness is absolutely elite . He makes players fall over in a phone booth

But playing a position now where there's maybe 30 draftable players. But only 20 some get drafted

Leaves a lot of room 

There's not a huge difference between the grades of a fifth round running back and a priority undrafted one... Scheme fit and measurables 

And the lack of other quality positions pushed running backs down the board

Edited by Buffalo716

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Dude looked like the real deal with UB...and he goes undrafted?

Makes no sense. Saw a lot of profiles saying he was a 3rd or 4th round talent.

28 inch arms, 5’7” and runs high 4.5s.

1 hour ago, RunJoshRun said:

Small size, lack of elite speed and less than dominate performances against the better teams in UB's division.

It can happen, Maurice Jones-Drew was a short running back, but was a tank. 

9 hours ago, warrior9 said:

So, Clyde Edwards- Helaire? Pretty much the same size and Patterson is a little faster than him. If you can play you can play. 

In any case, I don't think he was drafted because he played in the MAC and had a dominant offensive line. The other RB had numbers that were just as good

Edwards-Helaire weighs about 15 pounds more, 195 to 209, and had better numbers on his athletic drills.

None of which will mean anything if Patterson can find someone to take a chance on him.

• Like (+1) 1

First, he still has a ***** to make a team with Washington. Second, outside of WNY not a lot of people even know who he is in the country.  He’s undersized and not fast.  I enjoyed watching him when he was on down here, but that was rare.  I expected a team would take a flier on him and one did so now just beat out others.  Lastly, could he really play effectively special teams as a fourth of fifth running back is expected to help there as well.

17 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Dude looked like the real deal with UB...and he goes undrafted?

Makes no sense. Saw a lot of profiles saying he was a 3rd or 4th round talent.

Chubba Wubba Hubbard went in the 4th he was a Heisman Finalist and led the nation in rushing two years ago.

RB's are not taken as early as they use to be,

Undervalued position, small frame, not fast enough, plus as you get to the latter stages of the draft teams are looking for guys who can contribute on Special Teams. Patterson doesn’t really have that on film and his size would prob scare teams away from that idea.  I thought maybe someone would take a shot in 6-7 but they didn’t. He’ll get his chance to prove himself as a UDFA. If he’s got the goods he’ll land somewhere as a 3rd down back.

There were actually guarantees by someone here that he would be drafted before the 5th round. lol

He wasn't even the best RB on his team.  You can't grade college RBs by their college production.  The recruiting aspect just creates too much discrepancies between the O line and D line.  A bigger O line will just dominate these small D lines the MAC has to put out there 

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

There were actually guarantees by someone here that he would be drafted before the 5th round. lol

He wasn't even the best RB on his team.  You can't grade college RBs by their college production.  The recruiting aspect just creates too much discrepancies between the O line and D line.  A bigger O line will just dominate these small D lines the MAC has to put out there 

Whether people want to admit it their is a bias for local talent by some on this board. The Melifonwu and Patterson love was extremely high for two pretty average draft projections 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Edwards-Helaire weighs about 15 pounds more, 195 to 209, and had better numbers on his athletic drills.

None of which will mean anything if Patterson can find someone to take a chance on him.

Also, CEH was drafted highly because he was an incredible receiver out of the backfield. Patterson had 20 catches in 3 years, including 0 this year.

But yeah, 5'6" and like a bottom 15% athlete for a RB with no experience as a receiver is going to be a fringe draft pick at best. At best he probably projects as a less versatile Jacquizz Rodgers.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

I've never really understood why the Bills don't keep a closer eye on some of the players that went to schools or grew up closer to Buffalo there has been quite a few .

James Stark, Gronk, Kalil Mack, Patterson, who else have i forgotten ? I know there have been more that have went into the NFL & had decent careers .

• Like (+1) 1