Jump to content

How did Jaret Patterson go undrafted??


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No one drafted him

He's small, he's slow, and he caught zero passes last season.

I thought his name was Paterson Beane..., 

Posted Images

On 5/3/2021 at 2:27 PM, Buffalo716 said:

There's still just more good football players than draft positions , and having prerequisite size still matters

 

Being 5'6 absolutely pushes him down boards.. if he was 5'10 he would have been drafted 100% 

 

It doesn't matter because there are tons of undrafted running backs that make it

 

 

 

Not to mention with the way the last year and half has gone players from lesser programs get an even smaller look than usual. 

I didn't watch a ton of UB games but reading some scouting reports I get why he would be a borderline UDFA. Ran a 4.51 and is small. Not a great pass catching option. Hesitates to hit the hole. Does not trust his running lane. Takes a long to accelerate out of cuts. 

That said, even though we already seem to have a version of him on the roster, the kid seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder. I would not have been mad if Buffalo took a flyer in the 7th or UDFA. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Even in those games he then averaged 90 yds 2 Tds no? If he does well, the Bills will sure look stupid since this was their backyard talent (like the Dolphins would if Jaelan Phillips sucks). 

 

That being said, for the late rounders and UDFAs especially, we need to trust the Bills' evaluations. Beane has done decently so far. As a fan who watched some Patterson tape, he sure looked draftable - but maybe he was not an improvement over Antonio Williams - so had no chance of making the Bills roster. While the Bills do not have a home run hitter in the RB room yet (surprise me Motor and Moss), they do have depth with Breida and Williams - so as far as RB in the draft is concerned maybe the thought is - give me a clear upgrade or dont gimme anything - a philosophy that is logical.

 

In the biggest game of the year he had 27 yards. 

 

Beane's trustworthy evaluation said "hard pass".

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mango said:

 

Not to mention with the way the last year and half has gone players from lesser programs get an even smaller look than usual. 

I didn't watch a ton of UB games but reading some scouting reports I get why he would be a borderline UDFA. Ran a 4.51 and is small. Not a great pass catching option. Hesitates to hit the hole. Does not trust his running lane. Takes a long to accelerate out of cuts. 

That said, even though we already seem to have a version of him on the roster, the kid seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder. I would not have been mad if Buffalo took a flyer in the 7th or UDFA. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he carves out a better career than lots of kids from the class 

 

30% of League is still undrafted free agents.. and he runs with the power and agility to get it done

 

 

Edited by Buffalo716
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he carves out a better career than lots of kids from the class 

 

30% of League is still undrafted free agents.. and he runs with the power and agility to get it done

 

 


Maybe, maybe not. There were something like 18 RB’s drafted, and this seemed to be a weak class in a weird year, so he has as good a shot as any to be better than “a bunch”. (however many that is)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigAl2526 said:

He's small and has no elite traits.  He's a good RB who played in a system that enabled some gaudy stats.  

His short area elusiveness is absolutely elite 

 

He makes people fall over in a phone booth like singletary or shady

14 minutes ago, Mango said:


Maybe, maybe not. There were something like 18 RB’s drafted, and this seemed to be a weak class in a weird year, so he has as good a shot as any to be better than “a bunch”. (however many that is)

 

 

A weaker class overall. I would never classify it as a weak running back class 

 

There were 20 running backs drafted, and about 30 of them maybe 35 had draftable grades 

 

There were a bunch of backs with mid to late round grades.. and they pushed each other down the board, getting selected more on scheme fit 

 

I can honestly see him having just as good as a career as Devin singletary

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

His short area elusiveness is absolutely elite 

 

He makes people fall over in a phone booth like singletary or shady

 

I'll grant you that, but as you say, his elusiveness is similar to Singletary's who is already with the Bills.  He doesn't give the Bills anything they don't have already.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I'll grant you that, but as you say, his elusiveness is similar to Singletary's who is already with the Bills.  He doesn't give the Bills anything they don't have already.

No I hear you. I don't really see how he would add much to our backfield

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 10:59 AM, Big Turk said:

 

Are they though? Because from where I am sitting they have a pretty bad hit rate overall for as much time and effort and knowledge advantages they have over all the posters...

 

No offense but if someone does something everyday for a living on a professional basis and has a huge financial backing and lots of other people involved to check and double check their work, I would expect something better than maybe a 10-15% improvement over what an average poster does who just watches a bunch of games and/or highlights in their spare time.

 

Sometimes I think they suffer from paralysis by analysis where they have too many points of information.

 

 

 Of course they are. The "average" poster looks at how many college players to "evaluate" them???? A dozen, maybe two dozen if they are die hard fans and I think that number is being VERY generous. Not to mention, the "average" poster (myself included) may have an idea on what to look at to evaluate a player, but they haven't got a clue on the actual evaluation process. For example, I know that a quarterback needs to have great footwork especially when dropping back to pass; but I, and most fans couldn't tell you if the QB's footwork is good or bad. Yes I can tell if the QB isn't setting his feet at the point of the throw or if he's throwing off the balls of his feet, but to ask me to tell someone that the actual footwork to get to that point was good or bad.... I'd be staring at you like Homer Simpson would after a lobotomy.    

 

 A professional scouting team looks at 3000 draft eligible players every year, and lets be honest; 90% of them are not elite players and I'd guess that of that 90%, 70% of them are bubble players, the other 30% good enough to have decent careers. That remaining 10% that are elite, are elite in TALENT and these scouts are experts at evaluating talentnot experts at guessing on how these young men will respond psychologically to the pressure of playing at the NFL level. 

 

 I do agree that sometime they suffer from paralysis by analysis. Especially when it comes to the elite of the elite; those top 10 picks type talent, or those once in a generation type talents. For us non professionals.... most of us (or them) are just guessing based on gut feeling and a few TV sports news highlight reels. The pro's, they evaluate some of these guys for days.... weeks or even months evaluating each of the players skills, and their off the field character.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 8:26 PM, Old Coot said:

Charlie Tolar at 5'6" & 210 lbs was the Houston Oilers fullback in the old AFL.  His nickname: the Human Bowling Ball

Now there's a player from the past... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...