Cowboys and Dak reach deal

33 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I think Josh is focused on winning a championship and like Brady will do right by the team to ensure that they can put a competitive team around him.  

Josh doesn’t have a super model wife that makes more money than he does and I’m sure the Pegulas won’t agree to pay Josh off the books like I’m sure Kraft was doing with Brady.  That being said, I see no reason for Josh to give the Bills a discount.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Billschills said:

I don’t think he will get more than Mahomes. Mahomes was a MVP and Super Bowl winner. 
I can see 10 years at 430 million with half guaranteed. I think that’s a fair contract.

I bet he gets the exact same deal as Mahomes plus + $1M AAV.  Josh should and will be the highest paid QB in the history of the NFL at time of contract. 

4 hours ago, White Linen said:

Yikes, that's a lot for a guy who hasn't accomplished much but has stats.

He's accomplished being a damn good quarterback. He's a top ten guy. They get paid.

52 minutes ago, Billschills said:

I don’t think he will get more than Mahomes. Mahomes was a MVP and Super Bowl winner. 
I can see 10 years at 430 million with half guaranteed. I think that’s a fair contract.

Yeah, I betting he slots in a bit under Mahomes but above everyone else.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, costrovs said:

To a certain extent yes. And again, why should 1 player get upwards of 12% or more of the teams salary cap? Is there a rule saying the QB should get that much? Or a star WR should get around 10%? or why 3/4 players should consist of 25% of the teams salary cap? I don't think so....

Mind you, I didn't look at the CBA, but I believe that as long as the team is under the cap before the season starts(or whatever the rule specifically states) then that's all that matters.

If the cap is 170M, The top QB's (Mahomes) should get 10%, so at most 17M. Dak's would probably be like 12M in this scenario.

Just limit the positional spending(all positions, not just QB). It'll give teams a lot more money to put towards other positions of need. Some players would get mad because they wont get as much, but others would end up getting more.

So, the world should be more like you want it to be. We get it.

But that's not how the players want it. And they have a union. More, the owners do too, if they're serious about winning. If they didn't think QBs were worth it, they wouldn't sign the contracts.

You don't like this? I'm guessing you don't like it when it rains on your day off either. But there's nothing that can be done. The free market working through the CBA comes out like this.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Welp.

We now know the floor for Allen’s new contract. I doubt he takes less than Dak.

Josh is easily worth 40/yr. Dak still seems like a 30/yr kinda qb. Dallas definitely overpaid but at least they didn't give him a 8-10 yr deal.

12 hours ago, Big C said:

Good lord that’s so much money! 

These QB contracts aren’t going to help build a championship team. What are we gonna do about Josh?

His off season/ summer job fracking pays $35 m per year ;)

His job as Bills QB pays 5m per year ;) 

I wonder if Josh signs a long term deal like Mahomes and goes for a similar contract 10 years 400-500 million or will he sign a shorter deal like Dak at 4 years in hopes he leads the Bills to a Super Bowl championship in which case he can go for a bigger payday than Mahomes when his contract is up

The Bills finally have a quarterback worth paying and the amount of people on this board who want the Bills to give him a low ball offer is astounding. It’s not Josh’s job to make the salary cap work, that’s up to the front office. Make the GM earn his money. I can’t wait to read the comments of how selfish Josh is or how he’s not a team player or someone used to be a fan of his but now he has ruined the Bills shot at winning a super bowl because he signs a big contract. If you thought Josh was going to take less than $40 mil per year you are wrong and this deal proves it. Let Josh get paid what he is worth, if they need money for the cap later then let the front office restructure his deal, but stop convincing yourself that Josh should take less than what the current market dictates he should get 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Please Josh be a team hero and only take 38 mil a year. I want to win a super bowl, and we need other talent to pay to get there. 

why should he?

9 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I could see Allen being the type to take 30-35 a year to keep a good team around him 

I don't and he shouldn't take less.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Big C said:

Good lord that’s so much money! 

These QB contracts aren’t going to help build a championship team. What are we gonna do about Josh?

Josh like Brady has the talent to make a slightly good WR into a very good one. Not as much separation is needed for them to get open because he can rifle the ball into very narrow windows. However, very tactful maneuvering is required to build a Championship team around Josh. Really have to choose which positions you value in terms of paying.

10 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

Watson 39 last year

Dak 40 this year

Mahomes 45 last year

Factoring in QB Inflation, Josh should get 47-48 

Inflation is already factored in. 

Josh will get around 42m. These QB's are signing these deals based on the cap going up nearly $50 million by 2023.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

How many years into this contract do you think Dak becomes “unhappy” because he has lack of weapons and no input into the offense and defense.   

I just don’t see how you can pay everybody crazy Money and build a Super Bowl champion team year in and year out. Between him and Zeke neither one of them can carry the team to the playoffs consistently

15 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't think you can win with Dak occupying 40 million on your cap. He is however much better than I though he was. They plugged in Dalton who was a good backup option and that team became rather bad on offense rather quickly. Dak got what he wanted and the Cowboys get to see if he can be their answer longer term. 

Dak led Cowboys were 1-4 and the only one win was because Atlanta choked again and decided to not even attempt to recover an onside kick attempt.  Otherwise they would have been 0-5.  As bad as the offense was after, they actually had a better record with Dalton.

No one will claim Dalton is better option, so that’s not what I am saying.  But...if they are 1-4 or 0-5 team with Dak not being a massive cap hit, how are they supposed to be a SB contender now WITH Dak being a major cap choker?

I get why they paid him, I just don’t think Dak is going to be a guy who can carry a  team when the cap issues restrict their ability to make the roster better around him.

I have a feeling Dallas will be a perennial middle of the road team failing to hit expectations over those 4 years of Daks contract IMHO.  They won’t suck enough to get premium draft picks and they won’t be good enough to challenge for a deep playoff run. 

Edited by Alphadawg7