Cowboys and Dak reach deal

3 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I really wish the NFL would get rid of the salary cap

Remember why the cap was created in the first place.  Parity.

Rich teams like Dallas would throw the most money at the top FA's.  Doesn't mean championships, look at Washington over the years.

2 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Yay

Yes, if they will give us all a break and stop talking about it constantly it will be a treat for Everybody!  I’m SICK of all the Dak/Cowboys talk, and while we’re at it when the subject turns to LeBron I’m likely to change the channel.  

Then there is Brady........

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

So does Jerry Jones, Kraft, etc.   

Watch Football become like baseball where some teams are effectively farm teams.

If you want an argument that the salary cap helps create parity, baseball isn't a good place to look. Different teams are winning every year. The difference is that teams can actually pay their players to stay rather than have constant turnover due to cap restraints. It's a good thing that the Padres locked up FTJ without having to worry about it. The cap also didn't seem to stop the Patriots from making every other Superbowl for like 10 years either.

Does anyone enjoy fussing over numbers so that we can fit in the contract for a linebacker?

Edited by Boxcar

1 minute ago, Boxcar said:

If you want an argument that the salary cap helps create parity, baseball isn't a good place to look. Different teams are winning every year. The difference is that now teams can actually pay their players to stay. The cap also didn't seem to stop the Patriots from making every other Superbowl for like 10 years either.

Does anyone enjoy fussing over numbers so that we can fit in the contract for a linebacker?

No my argument is that baseball was ruined due to some teams being able to spend a lot more which is what eliminating salary cap does.

And New England winning had nothing to do with cap.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No my argument is that baseball was ruined due to some teams being able to spend a lot more which is what eliminating salary cap does.

And New England winning had nothing to do with cap.

Yeah but the highest spending teams aside from the Dodgers aren't really winning much. Red Sox, Angels, Cubs, Phillies, etc. The Rays are competitive every year, as are the Athletics. What happens is that these high spenders eventually get bogged down by the end years of huge contracts. The Angels have made the playoffs one time, for example, while Mike Trout was part of the team, arguably the best player of all time. The Angels consistently have a top 5, usually top 3 payroll. Lots of smaller teams are competing.

The NFL and players just need to learn to distribute the cap space a little better, that way teams are built more evenly/fairly. Like positional salary minimum/maximum. This IS a team sport the last time I checked. Why should 1 player get 15% or more of the salary cap? Honestly.

• Agree 2

Just now, inaugural balls said:

Hear hear!

I long for the days of ineptitude at the QB position.

Geez, people......really?

You have no issue with an inferior QB getting a record breaking contract, necessarily bumping up the cost for our own QB?

1 minute ago, costrovs said:

The NFL and players just need to learn to distribute the cap space a little better, that way teams are built more evenly/fairly. Like positional salary minimum/maximum. This IS a team sport the last time I checked. Why should 1 player get 15% or more of the salary cap? Honestly.

Because the market dictates that he's worth it?

45 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Josh Allen and his agent are celebrating right now as we speak.

Dak getting $40 mil per means that Josh Allen's floor in contract negotiations starts at $45 mil per.

Josh Allen just made more money from this contract.

And this is exactly why the players want other players to get as much as they can. Josh won and didn't even have to get off the couch.

Edited by 716
Typos
  • Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Because the market dictates that he's worth it?

The players agents dictate the market then.

What if the NFL steps in and says they're gonna limit the salary based on the players position?

QB's - no more than 10%

WR - no more than 5%

.............. and so on,

It'll make it easier for teams to sign there own players. It'll put more emphasis on drafting good players and keeping them.

Teams will be built from the draft, the way it should be.