Free agent QBS who could back up Allen next year in case Barkley doesn’t come back

27 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

With all due respect, I hate this point. Obviously, any qb on the market would be a huge drop off. But:

Tom Brady (maybe The elite white is the next Brady)

Kurt Warner 

Doug Williams

nick Foles

trent dilfer 

jeff Hostetler

roger Staubach

jim pluckett 

earl morrall

all guys who started the season as backups who won SBs (Kaepernick lost as a backup).  I just can’t believe how many people are cool with whatever at backup. This is a SB contender that could win games if they had a decent backup. The Pats drafted Jimmy G in the 2nd and crackhead Mallett in the 3rd with Brady. The Saints signed Winston.  The Colts paid Brissett a good amount of money. 

I just think kee coldly do so much better than Barkley (nice guy, good teammate), Fromm, & Davis. I know people hate him but Newton could win games on this team if god forbid Allen got hurt. 

Fitz gets better every year. Dude is a baller who just didn’t have the physical tools. Miami makes the playoffs if they didn’t start Tua. 

Dilfer, a Pro Bowler in Tampa, replaced Tony Banks (because he sucked) after 4 weeks with no Offensive TDs.

Before the playoffs, Gibbs benched Jay Schroeder (because he sucked) and won out with Williams.

Staubach replaced a crappy Morton (because he sucked) and won a SB.

Plunkett was a #1 draft pick and a day 1 starter for the Patriots.  He was traded to SF and started both seasons.  But he did win a SB as a backup for the Raiders.

Morrall never started in a SB winning game.  He did come in for Johnny U in the 3rd Q.  

So:

A) good thing Josh doesn't suck

B) if Josh went down at ANY time in the season, there is not one guy on you mentioned that takes this team to the SB (OK, maybe my man Fitz--just because it would be awesome...).

But yeah, Barkley sucks.   The other 2 are zeros at this point.

20 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why did they draft Fromm in the 5th round? I think it's reasonable to expect him to be the backup in year 2, unless you drafted him for no reason.

I don't know-- his rookie year was a waste due to COVID. So, I would view Fromm as basically a rookie this year. I doubt they bank on him as the number 2 as essentially a rookie.

At least Webb has been around the NFL for a bit, and I think has had some live snaps.  Webb was a 3rd round pick, FWIW. 

I'm all over the board on this one.

Fitz:  played great football last year for Miami.  Flores screwed him and the team going with the overrated Tua.  Cost his team a playoff spot.  He'd be a fantastic backup and can certainly win games if Josh went down for a period of time.  I don't see this happening due to 1) Fitz may want to go somewhere that he can start and/or play a lot.  2) he may command more than the Bills can afford under their cap constraints.

Barkley: has played OK in limited action, particularly in weeks when he got starter reps in practice.  If the defense and running game improve, Barkley could keep the ship afloat for a few weeks.  He can read a defense and run and NFL offense.  His arm strength and mobility aren't great, which is why he's a career backup.  He's not going to take the team on his back and win one and I don't think he's going to take a team deep into the playoffs unless the Bills return to having a top-3 defense.  May be the best option due to his "off the field" attributes and chemistry with the team - great teammate, supportive of Allen, not looking to be a starter, knows the playbook.

Fromm:  I have no idea.  Perhaps the Bills coaches do.  If they think he is ready, I'm OK with going with him.  He had a great career in college, taking and keeping the starting job over guys that were more highly recruited and highly rated than him.  Got GA to OT of the Championship game.  Seems to be a competitive guy with some football ability.  Maybe not the best athletic skills.  He certainly got himself in some twitter trouble in the past.

Webb:  I have no idea.  The fact that the Jests and Giants both moved on from him and that he was basically the 4th stringer for the Bills doesn't give me a lot of hope for his playing talent.  I think he's going to be a good coach someday.

Kyle Allen:  had not thought of him before seeing this thread today.  He's played some decent football in the NFL, but not enough to be a consistent starter.  He'd be fine as a backup, but I don't know that he'd be a big upgrade over what we already have.  He's probably more physically talented than Barkley, but I don't know much about his personality, mental makeup, etc.

The rest of the field:  I don't think there are any better options than what is listed above for the type of money the Bills have to spend.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They isolated Love form the rest of the team for the season?  I couldn't find anything on that.   In fact there's an Pat McAfee interview with Rodgers in October describing Love's progress in practice, in the locker room after games, etc.

I thought I had read something to that effect. But I can't recollect where, so I'm sure you're right.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Edited by Seoulofstone
Fixed my gibberish double posted sentence.

8 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

I thought I had read something to that effect. But If I can't recollect where, so I'm sure you're right.

I thought I had read something to that effect. But If I can't recollect where, so I'm sure you're right.

image.png.a7c8c2311c8cc48ab8f3dc7da77a2637.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why would there have to be a narrative?  

This is just my reading of it and I must confess that I feel some sympathy for Love which may affect my bias. He got picked by a team that had an HOF QB, had no training camp and is being labelled in some places and by some media reports as a bust which I find extremely unfair in this context.

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

image.png.a7c8c2311c8cc48ab8f3dc7da77a2637.png

Goodness. I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue.

18 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Edited by Seoulofstone
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Webb has the play book knowledge that’s needed, and a better arm than Barkley, and will be inexpensive to to promote to Bu QB,  in a season with financial constraints Webb is a likely selection if they don’t stick with Barkley.  Fromm?, Fromm is the C-19 back up for the foreseeable future. 

Fromm is the welfare QB - gets paid and does not need to work.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, davefan66 said:

I expect Barkley back at a a decent cost.  Good veteran leadership.

Barkley and Allen have a great relationship, on and off the field.  Not sure beans would want to disrupt it. 

I think they do have a good relationship, but I don't think it counts for much in the broader conversation of what to do at backup QB.

I think Fitz would come back to Buffalo, guaranteed, if we made the offer and he didn't have something better going on from anyone else.

I think Fitz generally thinks very positively of his time in Buffalo, the community, the fans, and so on.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Dilfer, a Pro Bowler in Tampa, replaced Tony Banks (because he sucked) after 4 weeks with no Offensive TDs.

Before the playoffs, Gibbs benched Jay Schroeder (because he sucked) and won out with Williams.

Staubach replaced a crappy Morton (because he sucked) and won a SB.

Plunkett was a #1 draft pick and a day 1 starter for the Patriots.  He was traded to SF and started both seasons.  But he did win a SB as a backup for the Raiders.

Morrall never started in a SB winning game.  He did come in for Johnny U in the 3rd Q.  

So:

A) good thing Josh doesn't suck

B) if Josh went down at ANY time in the season, there is not one guy on you mentioned that takes this team to the SB (OK, maybe my man Fitz--just because it would be awesome...).

But yeah, Barkley sucks.   The other 2 are zeros at this point.

* Plunkett was the Raiders' starter

20 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This

But also this.

I think we don't keep Davis Webb around AND draft Fromm if we don't feel they could compete for the backup job

A QB I think we should keep our eye on is Kyle Allen.  He's currently an unsigned ERFA with Washington but they have Alex Smith on the roster getting the Big Bucks and they just signed Taylor Heinicke to a $4M contract so are they really gonna keep Kyle as well?   He and Josh train together in the off season.  He's played enough in the league that you have more confidence he can do it than you do with Webb or Fromm.

Who has more confidence in him? I like to think i can trust the front office now to make the right decision unlike past regimes. Even the D-Line and O-Line hasn't been the best since they took over and it was a weakness and the O-line is very good now and you can't say they aren't trying everything they can with the D-line. We haven't even seen Fromm play in an NFL game yet. He was very good in college this is what some of the scouts said before last years draft:

“I think he’s going to win a lot of games at that level. I think the league likes him a lot more than the media does. People talk themselves out of him because he doesn’t have the greatest physical tools in the world, but he’s just a dang good quarterback. He’s great from the neck up and he’s got the best eyes in this class. His arm strength is very underrated. He’s accurate. He’s tough. He’s won a ton of games. He’s durable. There’s so much to like. I think he could be a really good pro.”

“Assuming his accuracy comes back—and there’s no reason to believe it won’t – Fromm should develop into a low-end NFL starter or high-end NFL backup, a guy who is between the 24th and 40th-best quarterback in the league for a long time.” – Thor Nystrom, Rotoworld

“He's an intelligent game-manager whose range is good backup to middling starter, but he will be scheme and skill-position-needy at the next level.” – Lance Zierlein, NFL.com

So I say we give Fromm a shot if we need him (hopefully we wont) He sounds to me like a Frank kind of back up. 

11 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

I don't think you bring in Allen as a mentor. He is a good friend of Josh, is cheap, and has won NFL games (I think with KA as starter the Panthers were 5-2 at one point in 2019).

Coach McD could have some fun with reporters like Abbott and Costello:

Reporter: Josh Allen was injured in game last week and is limited in practice so who is starting this weekend.

Coach McD: Allen

Reporter: Do you Josh will start?

Coach: I meant what I said - Allen will start

Reporter: Let me put it another way.  The Bills were behind last week and Kyle Allen came in, made many impressive plays including 2 TDs he ran in and won the game.  Who is starter now?

Coach McD: Allen

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, wagne591 said:

Who has more confidence in him? I like to think i can trust the front office now to make the right decision unlike past regimes.

So we're talking about Kyle Allen vs Fromm here, right?

Our current front office has done a lot of good things, no doubt.  They also took us into the 2018 season with Nathan Peterman as the starting QB based upon camp and preseason results, which lasted less than half a game.

I don't know what lesson you take from this.  The lessons I take from this is:

1) while good, our FO is not infallible and when they make a mistake, it can be a big one.  And they made a mistake at QB not too long ago!

2) a QB can look good in camp and in pre-season, but a regular season NFL game is a different level. 

For this reason, I think most people around the league would agree that a backup QB who has started in the league and played capably, gives a higher degree of confidence than a QB who has never yet seen a regular season snap.

For all I know, Fromm (or Davis Webb!) may be better QBs than Kyle Allen - but he hasn't even taken a pre-season snap yet!

“I think he’s going to win a lot of games at that level. I think the league likes him a lot more than the media does. People talk themselves out of him because he doesn’t have the greatest physical tools in the world, but he’s just a dang good quarterback. He’s great from the neck up and he’s got the best eyes in this class. His arm strength is very underrated. He’s accurate. He’s tough. He’s won a ton of games. He’s durable. There’s so much to like. I think he could be a really good pro.”

Who said this?  You give sources for the other two.  I found this......if correct, it's a pre-draft scouting evaluation by an "off the record" unidentified scout. 

Seems said scout was mistaken and the league didn't like him that well after all since 32 teams passed on him 166 times! 

I don't want to diss on Jake Fromm, he's a Bill now and I hope he succeeds if he plays, but that's actually a scary evaluation.  You know who was said to be great from the neck up with not the greatest physical tools in the world?    Yeah....

“Assuming his accuracy comes back—and there’s no reason to believe it won’t – Fromm should develop into a low-end NFL starter or high-end NFL backup, a guy who is between the 24th and 40th-best quarterback in the league for a long time.” – Thor Nystrom, Rotoworld

What is this bit about Fromm's "accuracy" needing to come back?

On 2/26/2021 at 7:52 AM, GunnerBill said:

Agreed on the bolded - but the question of a backup QB doesn't only arise in a situation where Allen is out for the year. If that happens the season is dead finish with a top 5 pick and hope there is a true difference maker there for you. But what if Allen misses 4 weeks? Say you go 9-3 in 12 games with Josh Allen. If you go 0-4 in the ones he misses you have blown a post season shot. So while I don't want to spend more than the $2m per year that Barkley made to chase one of those bigger name backups - Fitz, Dalton etc - Mike Glennon played for less in 2020 than Barkley and he is a better player. I'd personally still be interested in Blake Bortles. I know there are questions about how hard he works etc and maybe the Bills don't think he is a character fit, but playing style he is very similar to Josh Allen (not nearly as good but stylistically similar) and I don't think there is any question he is more talented than Matt Barkley. 

As I have been saying for years, you want your back up to be a guy who can get you 2-2 over a four game stretch. If Allen is out for the year, it’s basically over. 

• Like (+1) 1