Re-sign or “wave goodbye” series: Player 7 - Matt Barkley

YoloinOhio

Backup QB Matt Barkley  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign or “wave good-bye”

• Do whatever it takes to re-sign
    • Offer a team-friendly deal but let him walk if he has better offers
    • Don’t make an offer, thanks for the memories

Matt Barkley is a UFA. He is 31 and finishing up a 2 year, 4 mill deal with 600k gtd. 

I would offer a 1 year team friendly deal and let him battle it out for QB 2 with Fromm and Webb and anyone else they happen to bring in at QB. If he’s beaten out for QB2 I cut him before the season. 

I think Beane’s comments about the Barkleys being a blessing and everything his wife does indicates we could expect an offer of some sort.  But I’m sure he realizes an upgrade is needed. If Allen gets hurt, I’m not sure any available backup is adequately replacing him. But how about Brissett? He’s a FA. I’m not sure about Fitz. Worried about the curse. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

I chose #2, but won’t be heart broken if Webb takes his job, Webb is Barkley, but with a better arm by all accounts, Fromm..., is on permanent Covid duty for the foreseeable future, with the cap crunch I don’t think they bring in anyone who they have to pay more than what they pay Barkley, jmo...

Josh is now a bigger boy, has played 4 playoff games including the AFC championship so I think the team needs a better backup than mentor given that Dabs and Dorsey are back for another season as well....if Cam Newton gets passed over for being a starter I would make the call if he is still sitting during training camp

• Disagree 3

32 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

Barkley is eminently replaceable

The trouble is that we don't have the $$ this offseason to find someone that much better.  

Relying on Davis Webb or Jake Fromm as #2 is probably not a great strategy either

I say let him go.  I agree with all of your points.  If Josh went down, I don't think Barkley gets you to the playoffs anyway, and if he did, they wouldn't go far...

Team friendly, or cheerio.

He's been an asset for Josh, but we are getting to the point where that aspect of his contribution, should be becoming unnecessary.

Realistically, we could do with someone better, assuming we are still going to be contending, as there may come a point where the backup has to win us a game, and not just keep us going. I do not like our chances in a playoff game if Barkley has to be our QB.

Under the current circumstances, (cap etc.) it probably makes the most sense to try and bring him back for this year only. In the future, we have to try and do better.

1 hour ago, 947 said:

I think they drafted Fromm to be the long-term backup. If we can save $2M or more by moving on from Barkley, the money can be better spent elsewhere.

I love the friendship Matt brings to Josh but if we had to rely on him for a game or two,  forget it. He just doesn't have even a fraction of the athleticism to run this offense. Time to save the money and let Webb/Fromm battle it out.

I’m kinda bias to Matt. He made a cool Cameo vid for my cousin a year ago! . Lots of energy on the sideline. Good mentor. 

I feel it would be tough for Mcd and Beane to say Goodbye for a good soldier like Matt. I wonder if the family bonds this team preaches in the locker room make things a lot harder when you get closer to the end. 

Basically saying Matt we love what you have done for the organization but we need something more. 

• Thank you (+1) 1