Jump to content

Bills prospect Syracuse CB Ifeatu Melifonwu


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

 

Interesting on tape he doesn't look like a 4.4 guy to me. I actually wrote "average speed" in my notes on him. Certainly didn't look to me like he played that fast. I think safety is his future in the NFL. 

It's going to be a high 4.4 if he does sneak in there. I would tend to think he's in the low 4.5's but I know Tony Pauline for example has him pegged as a 4.47.

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EJ Gaines tore his Achilles trying to read this. 

Meh, I don't see the need for us to draft a CB early. CB2 isn't that critical in McDermott's scheme. I'd be fine with Jackson, Wallace, and EJ Gaines in an open competition for CB2 next year. Keep dra

Hate the idea of taking a CB at 30. We are already young at the position, sign a vet in FA if we want more depth. Sherman may be somewhat washed up but he's a perfect fit for this defense.   

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

 

I bet we end up signing him for the vet minimum or a little higher. Two seasons in a row McDermott tried to make him a part of the team after seeing him play in 2017. Clearly he thinks he's a fit. Whether he can actually make it through a season is a fair question...

 

In the last 2 years, Gaines has been signed and cut by the Bills twice.  He' never played a down since 2019--despite this, he thought it was a good idea to sit out last season for the COVID!  They aren't signing him for a 4th time--the guy is a bum.

 

Anyway, say no to Syracuse tire fire factory players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Meh, I don't see the need for us to draft a CB early. CB2 isn't that critical in McDermott's scheme. I'd be fine with Jackson, Wallace, and EJ Gaines in an open competition for CB2 next year. Keep drafting them on day 3. We have much bigger needs to address early in the draft.

gaines was released 

 

 I do like that this kid has some size because we need some of that in the back end

Edited by gordong
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m on the Boogie Basham bandwagon because I think he is a 10-12 sack per year kind of guy, but if he is gone, I’m not against drafting a CB in the first round. I’d much rather have Collins or Owusu but they might be gone as well. If we can draft another corner that is as good as Tre or within that ballpark, I think that could dramatically improve our defense. Taking away teams #1 and #2 receivers is a huge plus for this defense. At that point you can double the Travis Kelce’s and Rob Gronkowski’s of the world, but once again, I am firmly on the Boogie Basham bandwagon, he is my favorite prospect in the draft.

  • Disagree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

When was the last time the Bills drafted a player from Syracuse ? ... It just doesn't happen.

To be fair, you could say the same about the other 31 teams too. Syracuse doesn’t turn out much NFL talent these days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Virgil said:

I feel like it’s impossible to think about the draft until I know who they plan to keep or let go in Free Agency. 
 

We may have much larger pressing concerns 

Or sign in free agency.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

When was the last time the Bills drafted a player from Syracuse ? ... It just doesn't happen.

This makes no difference toward the next draft 

17 hours ago, Virgil said:

I feel like it’s impossible to think about the draft until I know who they plan to keep or let go in Free Agency. 
 

We may have much larger pressing concerns 

I’m personally hoping the Bills put themselves in a position again where they are drafting BPA on their board and not drafting for pressing concerns 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CuseBill said:

I've watched this kid alot and he's the real deal.  Good size, great athleticism and speed and a solid tackler.  Has a good nose for the ball.  Was a standout on a subpar defense and played well against a lot of good ACC talent. 

I like him but I don’t see him as a first rounder.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

 

I’m personally hoping the Bills put themselves in a position again where they are drafting BPA on their board and not drafting for pressing concerns 

 

I think they almost are. I don't think they have a "hole" anywhere that they have to fill right now today. Looking at only guys under contract next year (below) the holes are on the oline and at the #2 corner spot. But tendering Ike and Levi fills two of those three without even getting into the three main UFAs - Felicinao, Williams, Milano. There are a number of nice to have spots that could be upgraded - running back, tight end, guard, outside backer that I really doubt they address in round 1 - but if Williams leaves RT is the closest to a premium spot on the team with a need. 

 

QB - Allen

RB - Moss

TE - Knox

WR: Diggs, Brown, Beasley

OL: Dawkins, Ford, Morse, ??, ??

 

DE: Hughes, Addison

DT: Oliver, Star

LB: Edmunds, Klein

CB: White, ??, Taron

S: Hyde, Poyer

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't see round 1 CB this year

 

Round 1. HB top 2 if not there then edge

Round 2. Edge if not round one... then G or T

Round 3. 1 Tech DT.. good place to get that 

 

IF they have O'Line fixed by Draft then 

Top 2 HB round one and heavy D'Line. One Tech DT and Edge mix round 2 and 3

 

IF both sides by some miracle is fixed Beanie pulls magic then

 

Round 1. IF top 2 RB not their then go TE

Round 2. OLB

Round 3. CB

 

 

but to much is depended on what is done in free agency this year... 

Edited by PrimeTime101
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Disagree with those who hate the idea of a corner at #30. I think it is a need and a significant one. After edge and possibly tackle if Williams isn't back it is the best use of the pick matching value and need. 

 

Don't love the player. I have a high 3rd on him I think. If we are drafting a corner a real athlete with speed is the type I think we should target. I actually think Melifonwu might end up a safety at the NFL level.

 

EDIT: should clarify the first para is in theory. In practice I don't love this corner class. The top 3 will be gone and Greg Newsome is the only other guy I'd even consider in the first. Melifonwu and Samuel and Robinson and the other corners I have seen mocked to us there.... no thanks.

 

The idea I most hate though is that we spend #30 on a will linebacker or a guard. That is just bad positional value. 

RB is a huge need.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

 

I think they almost are. I don't think they have a "hole" anywhere that they have to fill right now today. Looking at only guys under contract next year (below) the holes are on the oline and at the #2 corner spot. But tendering Ike and Levi fills two of those three without even getting into the three main UFAs - Felicinao, Williams, Milano. There are a number of nice to have spots that could be upgraded - running back, tight end, guard, outside backer that I really doubt they address in round 1 - but if Williams leaves RT is the closest to a premium spot on the team with a need. 

 

QB - Allen

RB - Moss

TE - Knox

WR: Diggs, Brown, Beasley

OL: Dawkins, Ford, Morse, ??, ??

 

DE: Hughes, Addison

DT: Oliver, Star

LB: Edmunds, Klein

CB: White, ??, Taron

S: Hyde, Poyer

Knox and Moss are 2’s at best. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know...

 

JMO...But for the Bills to go CB that high they would have to hit a few grand slams during the FA period...

 

I'm not an anti-CB guy either. But I'm not sure the talent available matches up with the value late in the 1st of this Draft, and for me it's a hard positional sell high based on where I see this teams glaring needs...

 

I'll reserve judgment till after the FA period is up. But the opposite CB position being upgraded, while admittingly a need, is not in my top 3...maybe even 4...to get this team where it needs to go...

 

We'll see...😎

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

In the last 2 years, Gaines has been signed and cut by the Bills twice.  He' never played a down since 2019--despite this, he thought it was a good idea to sit out last season for the COVID!  They aren't signing him for a 4th time--the guy is a bum.

 

Anyway, say no to Syracuse tire fire factory players.

Agreed. I'm so done with that guy lol!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

 

The idea I most hate though is that we spend #30 on a will linebacker or a guard. That is just bad positional value. 


If Milano leaves which is seemingly likely, then why do you have an issue with replacing him even at the cost of 30?  
 

It’s a critical position in the D playing 100% of snaps...If you could get a replacement on the cheap ( rookie deal) than all good... obviously I would prefer the replacement come in the 2nd but if there is someone there that can do the job at 30... then take him...

 

I’m not sure who the player is BTW... people suggesting Zaven Collins but I think he is more the Lorenzo role than Milano.., and probably won’t be on the field enough to justify at 30..

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:


If Milano leaves which is seemingly likely, then why do you have an issue with replacing him even at the cost of 30?  
 

It’s a critical position in the D playing 100% of snaps...If you could get a replacement on the cheap ( rookie deal) than all good... obviously I would prefer the replacement come in the 2nd but if there is someone there that can do the job at 30... then take him...

 

I’m not sure who the player is BTW... people suggesting Zaven Collins but I think he is more the Lorenzo role than Milano.., and probably won’t be on the field enough to justify at 30..

 

Agree Collins is more a Zo than a Milano, that is exactly right. It is positional value for me that puts me off a linebacker at #30. For good or for bad Tremaine is their guy and they are sticking with him at Mike so it becomes spending #30 on a WILL essentially (I know with them almost entirely in nickel Milano doesn't play a traditional WILL). That is a position you can find later or you can find for reasonable value in FA. I think corner and tackle and edge are much harder to fill that way. 

 

Put it this way we just had 4 years of Milano he was an important part of this defense, played really well, massively out performed his draft slot..... and yet we are letting him walk. That tells you the positional value the Bills place on it. Guys you spend a 1st on should be guys you foresee giving a 2nd contract to. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody posted the previous 20 or 30 years of #30 picks and it's a wasteland. They do not pan out well, and most notably it was a recent logjam of 5 or 6 DB's that have gone on to do nothing. One was Deandre Baker, for example.

 

Just pulled it up, and there was one recent hit - TJ Watt. The rest have been DBs that have done nothing - Baker, Mike Hughes, Noah Igbinoghene, Damarious Randall. The 30th pick is the pick for wasted DB picks it seems. It's a trap, don't go DB, says NFL draft history.

 

Swing for the best offensive talent available, ideally RB or TE.

 

Edited by Nelius
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • YoloinOhio changed the title to Bills prospect Syracuse CB Ifeatu Melifonwu

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...