Beane says no "blockbuster" moves. Do you believe him?

Draconator

Beane says expect no "blockbuster" moves this off season. Do you believe him?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Will Beane stay the course or make a big move?

• He will pull off a player/early round trade.
    • He will make a draft day move to move up significantly in draft position.
    • He'll stay the course, only making mid to late round draft moves and sign mid level Free Agents to plug holes.

23 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He loves Knox. Beane is very protective of guys he has drafted. I think the go into the year with Knox, Sweeney and then a vet. Could be Lee Smith. 

What you say makes sense.

I actually didn’t realize he liked Knox so much. I mentioned Knox as a trade asset only because I think a lot of teams probably love his ceiling. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I actually think this is the first year you see a lot of guys go and let the draft picks start rolling in on the comp picks. 

Much like I said last year when people were harkening to keep Phillips and Lawson, I said to let them go. Those are the guys who never live up to big contracts. 

I think the same can be said for a guy like Daryl Williams. Bills took a chance on him for cheap, brought his value back to life, now he’ll be overpaid and the Bills should reap that draft pick reward. I also don’t see Milano back. I’m on the fence with Feliciano. He’s another guy loved by Bills fans but had been very average his whole career. Could get overpaid as well.  

Edited by gonzo1105

I think we'll cut some guys. Maybe trade a guy for a mid round pick. Re-sign what we can't lose and fill holes with mid-level and minimum deals.

The kicker though is that with the amount of players that will be cut by teams to get under or near the cap, it will force some guys to sign mid-level or minimum deals that normally wouldn't.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Both Etienne & Harris will be gone by 30. 

Why? 

Only one RB went in the first round last year. At #32 overall. And in fact over the last five drafts only 1 RB has been selected in the first round in 3 of the 5 drafts dating back to 2017.

I don't see a lot of teams with Running Back as a big need either. I could see the Jets or Dolphins possibly taking one just because they each have the luxury of two first round picks. So they could possibly take one with their later first round pick. Maybe the Steelers?

Of picks 17-32, where it would be likely a RB or two would come off the board, majority of those teams are set at RB. Jets, Dolphins and Steelers are the ones that standout. Of the five teams that pick before the Bills 25 to 29, none of them would take a RB. 

All that said, I'm not sure it is wise for the Bills to be taking a RB in the first round.

10 hours ago, Draconator said:

I just think if the right opportunity comes along to get the Bills to a repeat Super Bowl contender, I think Beane makes the move. 

What that will be is for all of you to speculate on. 

Trades for McCaffrey and Cooper Kupp

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

10 hours ago, Draconator said:

I just think if the right opportunity comes along to get the Bills to a repeat Super Bowl contender, I think Beane makes the move. 

What that will be is for all of you to speculate on. 

This isn't a difficult question.

He said it because he meant it. He meant it because it's what the situation dictates.

Is it possible we get a shot somehow at getting our own Travis Kelce for almost no money off the cap? Well, yeah, anything's possible but it's a thousand to one. 

He said it because he knew Bills fans are going to expect big things because that's how fans work. And it's not the right situation or even close. He knows that and wants us to be ready. But I'm sure he also knows that there are people out there who simply will not hear what they don't want to hear and will continue calling for expensive FAs and trades that would leave us with huge amounts of dead cap and cap deficits. 

There will be moves. There will be no blockbuster moves. That is the overwhelming likelihood.

But hey, some fans won't face reality. It's unpleasant.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

New report suggests NFL salary cap might drop to $180 million in 2021

But what does this mean for 2021? A new report by Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio suggests that the league might reduce its cap this season by quite a bit after setting it at $198.2 million last year. The belief is that it might end up “in the range of” $180 million for the upcoming season.

While the number will not be announced until closer to the start of free agency in mid-March, we therefore already know that those $175 million will serve as the basis of negotiations between the two parties that have to agree to a final cap.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2021/1/20/22240238/report-nfl-salary-cap-drop-2021-patriots#:~:text=Report%3A NFL salary cap might,million in 2021 - Pats Pulpit

Est Cap Space (Top 51):  Bills
$-5,920,657

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think he said "no blockbuster moves" with regard to FA.  If I remember correctly.  I think on WGR he said something like "you know me, I like to move around".

It would not surprise me if Beane dealt a couple of players for low-mid round picks and packaged picks and move up.  Just who those players are, will depend somewhat upon what players attract interest. 

Alternatively, I can see him trading OUT of the first round and into the top of the 2nd for extra picks.

This is exactly where I am at. I don't anticipate any "blockbuster" FA moves. However, I certainly could see a big move of some sort through the use of players and draft capital in the right situation.

Whatever he decides to do, it will be in the best interests of the team in the short and long-term. Beane is about building a team that is consistently competetive year in and year out. I don't see him making any moves that sacrifice the future (in regard to the cap or draft picks) in order to win now. IMO, Bean views whatever moves he makes through the lens of the "superbowl window" opening wider rather than closing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The only sort of 'blockbuster move' we will have, is to manage to re-sign all the guys we want to.

I can see us trading around in the draft - Beane doesn't like waiting on guys to drop to him if we have got the value on them already.

I wouldn't put it past him to try and trade out of the 1st round either, if we get an earlier 2nd round pick as part of the compensation.

The biggest difficulty for any type of FA 'big' move, is we simply don't have the cap space to do it.

Apart from any 'done deals' for retaining guys, there will be the sound of crickets from OBD when FA opens.

Imho, FA this year will be 'feast or famine'. The top guys will get paid, still.

After that, there will be next to no 'mid tier' market, where we have reasonably successfully operated in the past.

I think you will see lots of cheap, but fully guaranteed deals, around the NFL, because that's all teams will be able to afford.

I think Beane is just trying to keep fan expectations low. 

He will be investigating all options.  In particular I expect him to be researching  possible pass rushers and TEs.  He can't say he's looking into these because it will affect the market and affect a portion of fans would consider not bringing some in as a sign of failure.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Both Etienne & Harris will be gone by 30. There are no compelling pass rushers there so I think Brandon trades back into the 2nd for additional picks. Our running game desperately needs an overhaul. Consider Demetric Felton as 3 players in 1. You could easily get him mid to late 2nd. 

Boogie Basham or Zaven Collins would be great fits for this defense.. I’d take either at 30.

I think we won't see any major moves in the draft.  

Beane loves having draft picks, and he doesn't need to add a superstar to the team.   He might LIKE to add a superstar - we'd all like that, but he doesn't need to do it.   So, I seriously doubt he's going to package picks to move up in the first round.  

However, I don't think a free agent star is out of the question.   No one knows yet where the cap will be, no one knows yet whether someone like Milano is going to leave for the best deal he can find, and no one knows yet which vets, if any, Beane would be willing to cut to create some additional cap space.  What he do know is that Beane is fearless.  Although I doubt it will happen, I won't be surprised if he makes some cap moves and signs a big-time player.  

If he's going after a big-time player, I think it's gotta be an offensive or defensive lineman.   That's where the Bills could use a serious upgrade: A disruptor on the defensive line or a stud offensive lineman.   If for example, it came down to writing a big check to Milano or to JJ Watt, Milano could be history.   I think Beane already quietly signaled that he thinks Milano wants more than the Bills will pay (at his press conference he talked about Milano in the same way he talked about Philips and Lawson last year), and as we all know, McDermott always says that his defense starts with pressure from the front four.  With the 30th pick in the draft, you can find a guy with Milano's physical skills, but you've got to be awfully lucky to find a disrupting pass rusher.  

As others have said, it's going to be very important that Beane gets a good player at the end of the first round.  

• Like (+1) 1